• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky drops below 1000 concurrent players on steam

i'm not sure i understand the repeated use of this gif, yet the point I am making is that it is odd to expend so much energy/time etc, when you don't even have 'a dog in the fight', so to say.
seems a bit crusader-ish - but good on you anyway.

The "Don't have a dog in this fight" saying is nonsense in this case. For instance, if I don't like dog fighting then does that mean that I can't stand up against it if I don't dog fight?

If I don't like getting ripped off does that mean that I can't stand up against practices by people when I see them that increase the chance for me and others to get ripped off if I haven't personally been ripped off by them?

If I see an issue that I wouldn't like for me myself to be in does that mean that I can't help others avoid it or even lobby for changes so that situation is less likely to happen to both me or others?

I don't need to be burnt in order to tell others who may not know something is hot that they shouldn't touch it or what to do after they've been burnt no matter how much they "should have known."

I work with the community where I live. Some people just don't know that there are avenues for change. I help provide them with those and also educate them on issues in order to empower them to help effect that change.

What is it to you personally that I choose to devote my time to this issue? Have I harmed you in any way? This isn't the first time you've come at me with stuff like this. Are you tsundere or something? I... Senpai I'm married...

clo1_2000

Banned
For the first time in 10+ years I pirated a game; I uninstalled it after 3-4 hours. I am so glad I cancelled the pre-order.

WaterAstro

The game likely sold 3m copies at $60 each.

That's $180m in revenue...
-$54m in platform fees
-$10m in development costs
-$40m in taxes
...leaving $72m in net profit.**

**Very, very rough approximation.

If Sean Murray owns even 20% of Hello Games, he just put $15m in his bank account.

There will be no justice here. There will be no accountability.

There will just be a charmingly shy millionaire con man who never has to work another day in his life.

Those aren't even approximations at all when you don't even have the facts of how anything costs in development.

Those aren't even approximations at all when you don't even have the facts of how anything costs in development.

We can get a rough estimate using average salary earnings for each position on their small team, average office space prices for the area, and standard equipment costs. Get to work if you want! If you don't want to we can both just agree the dude made bank from this release. Because, he did.

ViolentP

YSCflvb.jpg

flkraven

That statement is mainly spin for PR purposes, No Man's Sky is a self-funded, self-published, indie release.

That has a marketing deal with Sony and got valuable E3 stage time several years running.

The problem with the "indie" label is that arguments always occur on different terms since everyone is talking about something different. In the literal sense, nms is indie. But when people see marketing deals, $60 price tag, retail release, massive E3 presence, etc they don't see indie.

Schlorgan

That has a marketing deal with Sony and got valuable E3 stage time several years running.

The problem with the "indie" label is that arguments always occur on different terms since everyone is talking about something different. In the literal sense, nms is indie. But when people see marketing deals, $60 price tag, retail release, massive E3 presence, etc they don't see indie.

People also don't see indie when the game is shown off on the Colbert Report.

Stiler

I was one of the few people who seemed to actually be enjoying the game at first. Going to the noew planets, exploring, seeing what I could find.

However after a few weeks it just started feeling very "Gamey" once you start to see just how bare-bones the actual gameplay systems are.

You just do the same things over and over again, jump, collect the resources to refuel, jump.

The main aspect and allure of the game (exploring) has nothing really captivating behind it. Because the planets, regardless of size, are the same all over. If you land on a planet that's huge, you have literally ZERO reasons to explore say, the other side of the planet or diferent areas, because the ENTIRE planet is simply one "biome" and there's noothing really there to surprise you.

Exploration is FUN when you don't know "what" to expect or what you might find, and that's where the game falls apart. At first it's neat finding the animals and weird enviornments, but once you've seen say, 20 planets, you realize there's really nothing worth exploring or worthwhile to find or do. There's no big "surprise" to find or anything really interesting to see on all of htese planets.

You're NEVER going to land on a planet like say, Juipiter, with massive storms or amazing weather. You're never going to find some kind of "unique" story or special "event" that happens on some random planet.

At most you're going to find some mix-matched weird animals and flora, with some differences in temperature and weather that's largely a "text" warning telling you it's hot or cold and nothing more.

yophlow

Banned
What happened to all the people who were the biggest NMS evangelists pre-launch? I remember some posts after the game was launched saying stuff like "It's exactly what I expected, having an amazing time, so exciting exploring" etc.

Since that first launch, does the game still have die-hard fans? Or has everyone basically agreed on the quality now?

hamchan

Data supports that there is no other non-multiplayer indie game that has launched with as high as No Man's Sky did on Steam. It is as simple as that.

Exactly that it doesn't exist. So judging its performance from "trends" is ludicrous. There is no other game that has these factors of indie, singleplayer, $60, and high peak launch on it.

Pokemon GO being F2P should mean it should have lasted longer. Dark Souls 3 is multiplayer. Witcher 3 has a team of hundreds updating it with patchs and DLC. Of course those two games are going to have legs.

Numbers with no context is meaningless. Comparing games like Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 to No Man's Sky is absolutely bonkers. Teams of hundreds vs a team of 12, yeah that's a fair comparison. No Man's Sky isn't a typical $60 game made by an AAA company with a team of hundreds, and if you don't see that, that is real bias.

I don't know what you're arguing for at this point and I don't think you do either.

If you're trying to say that the main factors leading the game to be unsatisfactory and have no audience retention compared to most games is because of the team size and budget then I could see that being valid.

Jebusman

Banned
Aww, I'm still enjoying it.

And that's fine.

It's 100% fine to enjoy and even love this game, and there is nothing wrong with anyone who still does.

But liking or loving a game doesn't mean you also have to excuse the faults, missed and broken promises, and just the general fuckery around it, which is where some people still seem to get hung up on.

The critical consensus of a game can still be "it's bad", but it can still be the right kind of game for you.

What happened to all the people who were the biggest NMS evangelists pre-launch? I remember some posts after the game was launched saying stuff like "It's exactly what I expected, having an amazing time, so exciting exploring" etc.

Since that first launch, does the game still have die-hard fans? Or has everyone basically agreed on the quality now?

The people who love the game and don't take criticism well are going to sit in the OT, as they always have and will continue to do. You aren't going to see them wander out there much.

theWB27

I was championing this quite a bit leading up to release. I'll admit I don't post in the ot or play anymore. If the dlc is good I'll go back, but eh. It is what it be.

besada

Banned
Getting your moneys worth doesn't make up for shady PR and all the lies that Sean did. Plenty of interviews on that... being vague about your content doesn't make up for it either.

I don't deny there were a lot of problems, ranging from technical to PR issues, and culminating in one of the worst PR meltdowns into a bunker I've ever seen. I've discussed them before, as have we all.

That has absolutely no bearing on my enjoyment of the game. Moreover, I'm pretty sure people have had ample opportunity to express their dissatisfaction so that it's not necessary to bookend any positive comment by making sure everyone knows you hate Sean Murray.

If you can't stand someone saying they enjoyed the game, without wrapping it up in a bunch of agita, that's a personal problem on your end.

Morts

I haven't really been following this too much lately, are people still expecting content updates like base building?

I dodged a bullet

Mee too. Almost. Too close.

Not at all. It's very common for single player games to drop off when people get finished and let's be real this is single player to the core.

Huh, not really.
here is the bottom of the top 100 on steam right now, for some sort of reference:
3,749 4,218 XCOM 2
3,679 3,973 Batman™: Arkham Knight
3,633 3,812 Empire: Total War
3,555 3,555 Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Multiplayer
3,344 3,501 METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN
3,341 3,749 Titan Quest Anniversary Edition
3,326 3,997 Football Manager 2014
3,310 3,537 Riders of Icarus
3,289 3,372 AdVenture Capitalist
3,268 3,635 Space Engineers
3,267 3,462 Medieval II: Total War
3,216 3,847 Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition
3,215 3,352 The Forest
3,180 3,180 Prison Architect
3,099 3,533 Kerbal Space Program
3,062 3,202 Grim Dawn
3,004 3,332 Pro Evolution Soccer 2017 Demo
2,982 3,080 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Multiplayer
2,973 2,973 Shakes and Fidget
2,969 3,344 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer
2,953 2,953 Total War: SHOGUN 2
2,842 3,007 Evolve Stage 2
2,782 2,903 Knight Online
2,773 3,357 BioShock Remastered
2,769 2,903 Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition
2,765 3,227 Killing Floor 2
2,764 2,849 F1 2016

Aselith

Mee too. Almost. Too close.

Huh, not really.

That is a list of some of the most beloved single player games and middling popular multiplayer titles to come out in recent years...
Some such as Arkham Knight were on sale for rock bottom prices recently.

NMS is neither. I mean it's a bad game but these aren't good comparisons

Blastoise

Banned
Just let me explore.

idgaf about space combat. It ruins the peacefulness of the game. I just want to planet hop and explore.

Just let me explore.

idgaf about space combat. It ruins the peacefulness of the game. I just want to planet hop and explore.

I just want something to explore for.

I "beat the game" and got the platinum but after the first few planets I definitely didn't feel like I was exploring anymore.

brau

I don't deny there were a lot of problems, ranging from technical to PR issues, and culminating in one of the worst PR meltdowns into a bunker I've ever seen. I've discussed them before, as have we all.

That has absolutely no bearing on my enjoyment of the game. Moreover, I'm pretty sure people have had ample opportunity to express their dissatisfaction so that it's not necessary to bookend any positive comment by making sure everyone knows you hate Sean Murray.

If you can't stand someone saying they enjoyed the game, without wrapping it up in a bunch of agita, that's a personal problem on your end.

lol. don't even know how to reply to this. Its like i have to handle it with extra care. You keep throwing this word agita like i am the person leading some kind of personal agenda against NMS.

I don't have issues with people enjoying the game, i don't have issues with people expressing their satisfaction or dissatisfaction with it either. I do have a problem with the attitude that some people have when discussing either of these. Mainly the people that don't explain or expand on their ideas as to why they like or dislike the game. Or its PR or anything related to it. Its been mentioned plenty of times before as to the reception of people asking "well, what is it that you do?" way before the game released, only to find these same people saying things like "go back to your CoD this game is not for you". You know? Seen plenty of this going around with NMS.

Not saying its you, but it happens. This culmination of events is something that happened for specific reasons and not by chance. I believe its important that we are aware of how the industry makes decisions, and what it means when they take a chance on projects like this and make a big deal out of them.

I have gone into why i think the game impacts the industry. Why you have to say i have a personal problem is beyond me. But hey... i'll do some inner search, really contemplate on my way back from work as i play Ace Attorney on why you think that i have a vendetta against what you have typed and maybe i'll refrain from posting next time.

gossi

Can Sean Murray ever make another game?

Given he shipped the 2nd biggest launch in PS history and 5th biggest launch on all platforms, yes. Businesses eat that stuff up, because all that ultimately matters is money, and this made hundreds of millions.

The average gamer on the street has no idea who Sean Murray is.

That is a list of some of the most beloved single player games and middling popular multiplayer titles to come out in recent years...
Some such as Arkham Knight were on sale for rock bottom prices recently.

NMS is neither. I mean it's a bad game but these aren't good comparisons

Pillars had more peak players than NMS, etc.

The problem is, the devs promised that there are unlimited possibilities in the universe and people could play this game forever (not literally, of course). By that, people should've played longer than this. But apparently that's not the case, people get bored in the middle instead. It's not a single player game to the core. There's no real ending to NMS. People can play indefinitely.

mokeyjoe

Yeah, I mean I like the game too, unfinished as it is. I'm just surprised it's still garnering so much discussion a month and a half after launch. I can only assume it's a general lack of gaming news or stuff to talk about, as most of the stuff in these NMS threads seem like copy and pastes from previous ones.

In any case, with regards to the putative topic of the thread, it'll be interesting to see if future content updates will be sufficient to bring players back to the game, and what Hello can do to improve longevity.

VARIA

For such a niche style of game to blow up the way this game did was interesting, to say the least. Now the numbers have settled into something that resembles what they would have looked like without Sony backing them. Really bummed at ABZU's numbers too, that game deserves way more love.

In the meantime I've been playing the role of intergalactic photographer:

Top Bottom