• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Gameplay Trailer (PSX)

banagher

You're right.
bNq81nK.jpg

dying here

RedSwirl

Oh, and since there are going to be space battles between NPC factions, does that mean there might be surface battles too? Man it would be nice you could actually get caught up in a war on the ground and do combat inside buildings and such. It would really deliver on the sense of scale to have shit going on in a base or something and then have the same battle going on in orbit. I imagine the LOD won't render NPC actions at those distances though. I imagine you could still encounter entire worlds held by certain factions. At the very least it'll be interesting seeing to what extent you''ll see NPCs interacting with each other.

Anyway, some surface FPS gameplay footage would be nice to be honest.

Jobbs

Banned
So because the footage is "choreographed" for the purposes of a trailer it stops being gameplay? It seems like your position is that HG haven't shown real-time, in-engine footage, which is absurd.

All I've seen is a ship flying around. If this was "fly a ship around simulator" I'd say we've been shown what we need to know. However, it's not. They've made a long list of claims about the game, but as yet, all I know is what it looks like to fly a ship from one planet to another as part of pre-prepared footage.

Again, I'm not attacking the game. I'm just saying it's a huge question mark. People (this is directed at some of the commenters here, not necessarily just you) probably shouldn't be so quick to love something to the point that you become hostile to others simply for raising questions about it -- when there's still so little that has been shown. Hit the brakes.

Pop

Oh, and since there are going to be space battles between NPC factions, does that mean there might be surface battles too? Man it would be nice you could actually get caught up in a war on the ground and do combat inside buildings and such. It would really deliver on the sense of scale to have shit going on in a base or something and then have the same battle going on in orbit. I imagine the LOD won't render NPC actions at those distances though. I imagine you could still encounter entire worlds held by certain factions. At the very least it'll be interesting seeing to what extent you''ll see NPCs interacting with each other.

Anyway, some surface FPS gameplay footage would be nice to be honest.

There is a snippet of footage of a laser gun. I'm pretty sure Sean said there are multiple weapons for ground combat.

Crom

All I've seen is a ship flying around. If this was "fly a ship around simulator" I'd say we've been shown what we need to know. However, it's not. They've made a long list of claims about the game, but as yet, all I know is what it looks like to fly a ship from one planet to another as part of pre-prepared footage.

Again, I'm not attacking the game. I'm just saying it's a huge question mark. People (this is directed at some of the commenters here, not necessarily just you) probably shouldn't be so quick to love something to the point that you become hostile to others simply for raising questions about it -- when there's still so little that has been shown. Hit the brakes.

Agreed. Waiting to see more. The trailer hasn't shown much to justify the level of hype and foaming at the mouth we are seeing. Let's wait and see.

Others have brought up good points about tempering expectations. No one is saying it needs to be COD in space even though a number of very defensive members are trying to push straw men.

Jobbs

Banned
Agreed. Waiting to see more. The trailer hasn't shown much to justify the level of hype and foaming at the mouth we are seeing. Let's wait and see.

Others have brought up good points about tempering expectations. No one is saying it needs to be COD in space even though a number of very defensive members are trying to push straw men.

I found this distasteful. There is no one more bored of COD and dumb modern game stuff than I am.

So I'm skeptical about a game that I haven't been able to see any real gameplay footage of that is being hyped to hell with enormously lofty claims made about it by a developer with no real track record outside of "joe danger" for mobile. Call me crazy.

I WANT the game to be good, again. Don't mistake me. If it's 10/10 the most revolutionary experience ever I'll be as happy to play and enjoy it as anyone else.

greatgeek

Banned

I would agree that we need to see more. I only disagree with the idea that what we've been shown, and told, is somehow inauthentic, superficial, or not gameplay footage at all. While some features (combat, trading, etc.) Have not been shown off in a meaningful way yet, what HG has shown (travel, galaxy map, diverse worlds) suggests that the game will indeed have the scope they've promised.

RedSwirl

Watched the portal trailer again, and there's a very clear narrative of what's going on.

Dude is on a planet walking towards his ship.

Sees a robot looking all menacing, decides to get the hell out of there.

Sees a distress beacon and somehow instantly warps towards it.

Sees a fleet in the system, decides to leave the fleet alone and head towards the beacon which is a point of interest on a nearby planet.

Point of interest is a crashed ship. Dude walks towards the ship to see a portal next to it.

I guess people are worried this all transpired with no combat at all, and in a very quick fashion. I think at one point they confirmed that these uncut trailers were only done when they could actually find planets that allowed them to show off something in the span of a couple minutes. You have to remember, since this whole world is procedural they can't really do a perfectly choreographed trailer. I think they said they actually had to look for a while to find a good planet for each trailer, and also probably to make interesting situations happen.

They probably could have gotten into combat with that robot, but there's a good chance they would have died, not making for a good trailer. Same goes with the fleet they encountered in that system, or the giant rhino stampeding at the beginning of the E3 trailer. How often do you actually see a developer put up a trailer or even uncut gameplay where all the restrictions are off? Very rarely will you see a developer let themselves get killed in demonstrations and especially not trailers. Meanwhile, almost all that combat seen so far has been in quick cuts. Maybe it's because whoever was playing actually got killed when they recorded that footage.

I have a feeling this is gonna get a lot more interesting when regular players actually start streaming No Man's Sky.

Jobbs

Banned
I would agree that we need to see more. I only disagree with the idea that what we've been shown, and told, is somehow inauthentic, superficial, or not gameplay footage at all.

It's touted as a highly dynamic, procedurally generated game. This is the very heart of the game as it's being pitched. But we can't see it outside of carefully choreographed sequences of ships flying that are careful to omit any real "day to day" type gameplay. We haven't even seen what a player looks like.

Since it's touted this way, I want to see how that comes together. I want to see this exciting randomness and how it plays out in the actual gameplay from moment to moment. I want to see what it's *really like* to *play* the game, which is oh-so-important in this type of game. It's not a cinematic game or an on rails game, it's a randomly generated game. So let's see it.

And I get that it may be too early to show anything. I understand game development is hard and takes time. But if you're going to hype something to these levels for this amount of time, with Sony basically making it one of its crown jewels, then you deserve a little scrutiny if you won't actually bring the goods.

Again, to the fervent defenders who have already made up their minds about the game before playing it or seeing it, what is this based on? Do you love "Hello Games" based on their previous works? Or can you be completely sold on a game based on some colorful sequences of ships flying and lofty promises made in presentations?

It's fun to get excited and want something to be good, but don't form a defense force and attack people for questioning the game before you've ever seen it yourself.

Crom

I found this distasteful. There is no one more bored of COD and dumb modern game stuff than I am.

So I'm skeptical about a game that I haven't been able to see any real gameplay footage of that is being hyped to hell with enormously lofty claims made about it by a developer with no real track record outside of "joe danger" for mobile. Call me crazy.

I WANT the game to be good, again. Don't mistake me. If it's 10/10 the most revolutionary experience ever I'll be as happy to play and enjoy it as anyone else.

I am with you. People are trying to flip the argument rather than making an actual case.

They use comedy to try to distract from the issue. No one wants this to be COD. We just want to see more and want to understand how the game actually works.

It's not the skepticism that is becoming bothersome, it's the "where is the real gameplay" comments. That goes beyond skepticism, that is just total ignorance and completely undeserved.

Dev wants to create a game about exploring an entire procedurally generated galaxy, shows footage of them doing exactly that, but because while exploring they have yet to show them pull out weapons and shoot them, gather resources, etc, it not "real gameplay" ? So if i hop into minecraft, and just run around the world without doing anything else, I'm not really playing the game?

Also, Joe Danger is not the only game these devs have ever worked on, it's just the first game under their own studio. They have tons of experience.

Crom

It's not the skepticism that is becoming bothersome, it's the "where is the real gameplay" comments. That goes beyond skepticism, that is just total ignorance and completely undeserved.

Dev wants to create a game about exploring an entire procedurally generated galaxy, shows footage of them doing exactly that, but because while exploring they have yet to s how them pull out weapons to shoot them, gather resources, etc, it not "real gameplay" ? So if i hop into minecraft, and just run around the world without doing anything else, I'm not really playing the game?

Also, Joe Danger is not the only game these devs have ever worked on, it's just the first game under their own studio. They have tons of experience.

They were exploring in the video? Flying past everything? No offense but if that is your definition of exploring then Forza is a game about exploring too.

Jobbs

Banned
I would agree that we need to see more. I only disagree with the idea that what we've been shown, and told, is somehow inauthentic, superficial, or not gameplay footage at all. While some features (combat, trading, etc.) Have not been shown off in a meaningful way yet, what HG has shown (travel, galaxy map, diverse worlds) suggests that the game will indeed have the scope they've promised.

The game's main selling point is its dynamic nature. Nothing about the footage they've shown has felt in any way dynamic. Too prepared, too groomed, too canned, ommitting far too much. Until I see some authentic gameplay I'll still view the game as a big question mark.

and yes, the gameplay they've shown hasn't seemed at all authentic, unless the authentic way to play the game is to do nothing but get in a ship and fly straight to the next planet. if that's all there is to do in the game, then, okay, maybe it's authentic footage.

GhaleonEB

Again, to the fervent defenders who have already made up their minds about the game before playing it or seeing it, what is this based on? Do you love "Hello Games" based on their previous works? Or can you be completely sold on a game based on some colorful sequences of ships flying and lofty promises made in presentations?

It's fun to get excited and want something to be good, but don't form a defense force and attack people for questioning the game before you've ever seen it yourself.

It's fine to be skeptical of something until you've seen it in detail. Healthy skepticism is often warranted, especially when we're talking about something like a massive game from a tiny studio. But you are mistaking people who are excited about the premise, and what has been shown, and are informed about what has been shown, with a defense force. It's really not helpful when you have to construct caricatures to argue against.

They were exploring in the video? Flying past everything? No offense but if that is your definition of exploring then Forza is a game about exploring too.
No you can't, because Forza is already a game about racing on a very linear track. Now if you took out the racing part of the game, and just gave you a big open world to drive around, then you could call it a game about exploration.

Setting out to investigate new unknown areas is what exploration is about, and they've done exactly that. Start from one area, fly to a new planet, find something there, investigate it ( for example going through the portal).

Crom

It's fine to be skeptical of something until you've seen it in detail. Healthy skepticism is often warranted, especially when we're talking about something like a massive game from a tiny studio. But you are mistaking people who are excited about the premise, and what has been shown, and are informed about what has been shown, with a defense force. It's really not helpful when you have to construct caricatures to argue against.

He is refering to those that made the straw man of anyone questioning the game wants it to be like COD.

Clearly that is not the case.

Jobbs

Banned

I calmly, and without vitriol, state my quite-rational skepticism and get stuff like the quotes below. If this isn't a defense force, I apologize for misusing the term. (also referring to the people equating questioning the game to wanting it to be COD or destiny -- which is doing just what you said, constructing caricatures to argue against)

Oh good fucking lord.

Keep on fucking that chicken, I guess. We know so much about what we will do in the game. But you want attention so bang your crib bars.

Games not for you then.

Good...fucking...lord.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So, the 9PM event has passed and the situation is the same with the trailers/videos. Well, maybe at next E3 they will show how you interact with the world.

GhaleonEB

I calmly, and without vitriol, state my quite-rational skepticism and get stuff like the quotes below. If this isn't a defense force, I apologize for misusing the term. (also referring to the people equating questioning the game to wanting it to be COD or destiny -- which is doing just what you said, constructing caricatures to argue against)

Then it would be helpful if you actually replied to them, without resorting to calling them a defense force; I didn't know who you were talking to. Thank you for clarifying.

I think you mischaracterize what we have seen thus far, and coming on the heels of several NMS threads derailed by "what do we do" kind of posts, you were on the receiving end of that frustration. (Which doesn't make it okay.) But that's been gone over enough times that another go probably won't be helpful, and it's not what you are looking for anyways.

I do understand the desire for more gameplay and have a respect for healthy skepticism. Given the time Hello Games has spent talking about the big picture stuff in NMS, it's probably a good idea for them to turn to showing more of the moment to moment gameplay in the new year. At this point I think we all get the big picture of what they're trying to do.

Jobbs

Banned
Then it would be helpful if you actually replied to them, without resorting to calling them a defense force; I didn't know who you were talking to. Thank you for clarifying.

I think you mischaracterize what we have seen thus far, and coming on the heels of several NMS threads derailed by "what do we do" kind of posts, you were on the receiving end of that frustration. (Which doesn't make it okay.) But that's been gone over enough times that another go probably won't be helpful, and it's not what you are looking for anyways.

I do understand the desire for more gameplay and have a respect for healthy skepticism. Given the time Hello Games has spent talking about the big picture stuff in NMS, it's probably a good idea for them to turn to showing more of the moment to moment gameplay in the new year. At this point I think we get the big picture.

I was sort of in a line of replies -- in the previous reply I said this:

Anyway, I can take a hit, I'm not worried about it. I'm just sort of observing and trying to process this blowback I'm getting for pointing out that they haven't really shown the game in earnest, which is, as you say, probably a bad idea when they continue to hype it so much.

It may be because they [some posters] got tired of "what do you do in the game?" posts, but, honestly, I think those posts are fair to make. People aren't trolling when they make them. It's a fair question to ask after seeing their presentations, and this is the right thread to ask it in.

Qvoth

imo the most gameplay filled trailer of NMS is actually their very 1st trailer, where they showed the player using his weapon to harvest the resources, so i guess if people missed that they'll think NMS gameplay is never shown yet

GhaleonEB

It may be because they [some posters] got tired of "what do you do in the game?" posts, but, honestly, I think those posts are fair to make. People aren't trolling when they make them. It's a fair question to ask after seeing their presentations, and this is the right thread to ask it in.

As context, we had three or four NMS threads all spiral in the same pattern over the past couple days: people asking what you do in the game, others explaining what we know, and that repeating for pages. Your posts came on the tail of them and well, this happened.

At any rate - no worries. And thanks for clarifying, I'd missed part of the discussion and didn't realize it.

No mention on Morpheus support? seems like it would be a key tittle to drive VR adoption.

I think they oversold NMS's appearance at the show. It was hyped as something major, but it ended up being a new trailer (some good stuff but following a now familiar pattern for the game's trailers) and the concert. I was kind of expecting something akin to Morpheus support as well.

Bigbillybeef

Neo Member

Are you reading the thread? Jesus Christ.

I guess your referring to Net_Wrecker's post with information from the wiki. My apologies. That is exactly the sort of information that would be nice to see in one of the trailers.

I guess I'm so used to skimming through 100+ post threads that sometimes I do not in fact read the entire thread. Hardly a good excuse after posting on page 2 but bad habits die hard.

Gaf is a scary place.

RedSwirl

The game's main selling point is its dynamic nature. Nothing about the footage they've shown has felt in any way dynamic. Too prepared, too groomed, too canned, ommitting far too much. Until I see some authentic gameplay I'll still view the game as a big question mark.

and yes, the gameplay they've shown hasn't seemed at all authentic, unless the authentic way to play the game is to do nothing but get in a ship and fly straight to the next planet. if that's all there is to do in the game, then, okay, maybe it's authentic footage.

I imagine none of what we've seen was actually choreographed, just cherry-picked. It's probably impossible for them to tightly control what's going to happen in each area they find, only the algorithms behind what's generated.

Top Bottom