• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Hands on impressions (Gamespot)

RedSwirl

No mention of anything like that as of yet although becoming a smuggler or dealer could be fun. The crafting system is really quite new to us so there's very few details on what you can make with it.

It would fit with Murray's desire for No Man's Sky to be "a Han Solo game."

I wonder why no one has tried to create a procedurally generated Star Wars game yet that actually tries to simulate as much of that galaxy as possible. It'd be cool to just be a bounty hunter or smuggler in that setting.

Soi-Fong

It would fit with Murray's desire for No Man's Sky to be "a Han Solo game."

I wonder why no one has tried to create a procedurally generated Star Wars game yet that actually tries to simulate as much of that galaxy as possible. It'd be cool to just be a bounty hunter or smuggler in that setting.

There's a game called Elite: Dangerous out that already does that albeit, it has nothing to do with Star Wars.

dalin80

Banned
Asides from the animal sounds that don't sound 'there' yet everything else seems good and atmospheric, especially without any of the background music yet.

GhaleonEB

65daysofstatic talk about the procedural score.

No Man’s Sky: how a cult band created the game’s endless musical universe

One of the biggest draws for me, to be honest. If the gameplay turns out to be lacklustre, I'll still be flying around in a procedural universe to the soaring scifi soundscape of 65dos.

\o/
They are one of the biggest draws to the game for me. I hadn't heard of them until the concert at the PS celebration, but I've since picked up three of their albums. They are insanely talented and a great fit for the game.

Wild Light is a stunning album.

Handy Fake

They are one of the biggest draws to the game for me. I hadn't heard of them until the concert at the PS celebration, but I've since picked up three of their albums. They are insanely talented and a great fit for the game.

Just had a bounce about Youtube listening to them. Not my cup of tea, music-wise, but it'll be epic skoiting about the galaxy to it.

I wouldnt mind if it was delayed to allow a co-op of sorts or even just encountering other players. Would make it an even more enjoyable experience

legacyzero

Banned

Yep. Wild Light and Fall of Math are EXCELLENT.

Just like Elite. Even when you upgrade the hyperdrive you're still limited by fuel concerns...indeed, they might even be what drives some to become pirates...stranded in a system with no drive fuel...suddenly a ship appears...you scan it and see it has fuel to harvest...what do you do?

You might have been the most moral, friendly trader or explorer until this point...what decision will desperation lead you to?

He says, after saying he's tired of talking about Elite.

But it's sooooo goood!

m@cross

No Man's Sky

Explore the vastness of space as you gather the necessary resources and equipment needed to reach your goal, the center of space.

Question. I hear that this game generates worlds or something like that. I might have this all wrong. But since the game is randomly generating worlds and such it is doing so only in your gameplay session right? you won't be able to visit a planet and tell your friend. Hey i found this planet at these coordinates, you should check it out since its all randomly made for your save game right? or is this played on a server?

Trouble

Banned
Question. I hear that this game generates worlds or something like that. I might have this all wrong. But since the game is randomly generating worlds and such it is doing so only in your gameplay session right? you won't be able to visit a planet and tell your friend. Hey i found this planet at these coordinates, you should check it out since its all randomly made for your save game right? or is this played on a server?

The universe is procedurally generated, but everyone is playing with the same seed, so all the solar systems and planets are the same for everyone.

Oh MY!!! ok that is interesting and sounds fun :) thank you.
I assume there will be planets named with stupid names lol. Is there a limit on planet naming, like you can't name a planet if that name is already taken preventing people from naming many planets URANUS...

Oh MY!!! ok that is interesting and sounds fun :) thank you.
I assume there will be planets named with stupid names lol. Is there a limit on planet naming, like you can't name a planet if that name is already taken preventing people from naming many planets URANUS...

The way it's been described so far is that once you discover a planet you can go down and survey it yourself; scan new flora, fauna, minerals, etc.. and if you do enough of that you'll be able to put your own stamp on the planet by changing the name if you wish (within reason, I assume). Everyone's game will get updated with the change in name next time they connect with one of the beacons scattered throughout. I have no idea if you can go to a planet where the name has been changed by a player. First of all, the chances on coming across that early on will be highly unlikely, but probably more common the closer you get to the center. Second, if you could "overwrite" a re-naming, what would the criteria be? Discover and catalogue even more things on that particular planet in the case the first person didn't fully explore it?

Blowdrum

Neo Member
Great thread, OP.

For someone who hasn't been following the game for awhile, this is incredibly useful to anyone who has the "What do you do?" kind of questions. So hyped for this!!

Top Bottom