• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Has Some Kind of Cryptic ARG Happening Right Now

It's no different than the Elite Dangerous ARG.

The questline for the vehicles in the last update made it seem like there might be a new race or at least a major narrative plotline coming. My guess is this ARG is related to that and we're going to see something big on the narrative front this time.

I think Elite Dangerous did a much better job of managing expectations for what the v1.0 experience would and would not deliver. So when Frontier puts out an ARG teasing some big development, it's easier to take them at their word. That said, if what's being teased really is on the same level as what happened in Elite Dangerous, then my personal misgivings won't matter. I would love to be wrong on this!

The other caveat is that I know what was in the recent content updates (freighters/base building/vehicles) but have not actually played through any of them myself. So perhaps I'm understating how fundamental a change those were to the original game.

anothertech

After cassette 15 is assessed, we will find there is no cassette 16. A deep dive into the code will reveal it was never actually recorded.

Hello Games will go radio silent for a year after that revelation.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Believe
maxresdefault.jpg

God Damn I hope so.

If they actually add significant variety per planet, the game could become decent.

What is encouraging is that the first two updates were better realized than anything in the base game.

akileese

Man, critical thinking is haaaaard.

I just ignore people like that. It's not even a NMS thing. There's a small group of people who will just relentlessly shit on anything that was ever given bad press and refuse to let it go.

I'm really curious where this is going. The tapes that were uploaded can't even be listened to by most since they've already hit the download limit from google drive.

Seiniyta

Games dead. Like Battleborn no point.

There's more people playing No Man's Sky now on PC then Battleborn, and one is a singleplayer, and another a multiplayer where it actually matters XD.

I find it absolutely hilarious that solving the ARG might be a problem because nobody has a cassette player.
Looking forward to the update, although the game hasn't reached the height what we had hoped for the updates to the game have been very solid.

Everytime I see this game come up I hope that it's the update to give us that E3 trailer magic for real... I still want to play it if/when it finally hits that point.

I've been playing subnautica and that's hitting my exploration itch and feels like NMS under the sea except not a lie lol.

I do hope they actually keep on it and bring that original Vision to life

8byte

Banned
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/6fmyn3/cassettes_megathread/

- Hello Games sent packages to 16 people (seemingly all Reddit mods?)
- The packages contain a NMS shirt, pin, socks, signed poster with a "hope you like what's next" message and a written message that says "dreaming of far-flung worlds"
- Most interesting, that each package contains a audio cassette tape, marked with 1/16, 2/16, etc etc. meaning each tape may have separate content on them.
- Not all tapes have been received yet, and nobody owns a goddamn cassette player lol.
- the tapes are slowly being uploaded once each recipient can figure out how. The link above contains the files to listen to.

I listened to the first tape. My description is as follows

Side B contains retro' 65 Days of Static music

This all happened yesterday over a matter of hours. It went from "this is some hoax bullshit". Then one source, then two sources, etc etc, hit my Twitter DMs.
I talked through the events here:
https://youtu.be/07_8fDNSQNk

I'll update as things progress, and I'm on mobile currently

The talk was good, but man, some of the statements made are fucking stupid.

"No Mans Sky was in no way, shape, or form what was promised."

Yea, okay. :rolleyes

belvedere

Junior Butler
I recently started playing again after the Galactic Hub project started gaining traction. It's definitely been more fun than I had imagined exploring other people's bases and discoveries.

The last two updates were fairly significant and weren't hyped like this, so it gives me hope there's something big in store.

Amory

I have to fire up NMS again.

What I played before was relaxing and enjoyable enough, there just wasn't enough to do.

Interested to see what this is! I've had a lot of fun from the game so far, but I've had trouble making progress lately. Glad they're still working on it.

I hope it's a time machine to get me back the hours I played hating that game baffled at dozens of decisions and game breaking bugs/crashes.

MADGAME

I'd like to see a more diverse array of ship designs while keeping the 70's sci-fi vibe intact. A full blown ship editor with robust customizations would be sweet.

Hm that's pretty cool

I've been thinking of getting NMS for a while now
I never really followed it at all pre-release so didn't have any expectations but obviously the reaction it got was a tad offputting. Seems like it's still being supported & it's fairly cheap now so certainly worth a try

Top Bottom