• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky PC Version doesn't work on older CPUs

Aselith

What a bizarre thread title. That applies to literally every single game.

No it doesn't. I have a Phenom II and I've had an issue with MGS 5 and probably this game (still downloading) and that's it.

And I play most of the new games that come out. This is very uncommon.

Timeless

5.74% of total Steam users support SSSE3 but not SSE4.1

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey (check "other settings" at the bottom)

85.75% of Steam users support SSE4.1. 91.49% support SSSE3 (not good enough for No Man's Sky). Assuming all CPUs that support SSE4.1 support SSSE3 (I don't know enough about CPUs to say), subtracting one from the other leaves 5.74% of Steam users left in the cold with No Man's Sky. 99.96% of Steam CPUs support SSE3. (Different from SSSE3.)

My AMD Phenom II 965 is a beast of a CPU that has never had problems on any PC game. It's quad core with each core @ 3.4 GHz. I'm fine with progress but don't call it a weak CPU. There are very few console ports that would cause it any problems, to my knowledge. I bought it new in 2013. I could also understand if NMS actually *was* a CPU-heavy game, because of how it generates planets from math. If my Phenom wouldn't acceptably run NMS no matter what, I'll take the L.

LewieP

No it doesn't. I have a Phenom II and I've had an issue with MGS 5 and probably this game (still downloading) and that's it.

And I play most of the new games that come out. This is very uncommon.
So MGS5 will work on any old processor? I'll bust out my old Pentium 3.

I have i7 4790K with 32 GB RAM and original Titan X and the game locks the PC up every time I try to run it (have to hold down the power button and restart PC)

Ahh, the Phenom. AMD really dropped the ball after the Athlon 64.

Phenom IIs were solid CPUs when they released (especially considering how much cheaper they were compared to Intel processors). I am still running Phenom II X6 1050T and generally can run most of games pretty well (6 years old CPU). If I remember right first gen Phenoms were shit though.

Aselith

So MGS5 will work on any old processor? I'll bust out my old Pentium 3.

I don't think you understand the issue here. Your old Pentium 3 isn't powerful enough to run the applications, these Phenom 2 chips are FASTER than i3's in a lot of cases the only problem is compatibility with this SSE instruction.

This was easily fixed within a day in MGS 5 and went from "nah you can't play this" to running a perfect 60 for me.

It's not that the chips aren't capable but that the developer didn't account for chips that didn't ship with a specific instruction set compatibility. It's fixable but the question is will they fix it.

I have a Phenom II 550 with a GTX 560Ti 12g ram
And ive been able to play any game fine. I play Overwatch at 1080p with 48-60 fps most of the time never lower. Should i wait and see if they fix the issue or just refund and not bother. NMS crashes when loading the game. I see the Hello Games logo for a second then crash.

I have a Phenom II 550 with a GTX 560Ti 12g ram
And ive been able to play any game fine. I play Overwatch at 1080p with 48-60 fps most of the time never lower. Should i wait and see if they fix the issue or just refund and not bother. NMS crashes when loading the game. I see the Hello Games logo for a second then crash.

I am not sure if a "Small team of 10 people" will be able to fix this.

Phenom IIs were solid CPUs when they released (especially considering how much cheaper they were compared to Intel processors). I am still running Phenom II X6 1050T and generally can run most of games pretty well (6 years old CPU). If I remember right first gen Phenoms were shit though.

Yeah, most game run at 60 fps. GTA V, W3, Doom etc etc.

Ploid 3.0

I have a AMD CPU (not old, but people are only talking intel, so I'll guess they don't support AMD to be safe) so I guess I should just get it on PS4. I hope a Neo Version isn't released later without giving PS4 version a option to download a update.

Mechazawa

This is almost certainly an oversight and not some technical barrier people should've seen coming.

As has been mentioned, MGSV ran into this problem and it was patched to be fixed, but EDF4.1, which just released less than a month ago, had the exact same issue and was promptly patched post-launch as well.

Developers are probably just forgetting to test Phenom CPUs, which is understandable if not a little funny.

LewieP

I don't think you understand the issue here. Your old Pentium 3 isn't powerful enough to run the applications, these Phenom 2 chips are FASTER than i3's in a lot of cases the only problem is compatibility with this SSE instruction.

This was easily fixed within a day in MGS 5 and went from "nah you can't play this" to running a perfect 60 for me.

It's not that the chips aren't capable but that the developer didn't account for chips that didn't ship with a specific instruction set compatibility. It's fixable but the question is will they fix it.
I understand the issue perfectly thanks.

There's a variety of reasons why you might have bigger priorities than supporting certain CPUs, especially for a smaller team. Given the reports of other issues with the PC version, it sounds like they were pretty rushed to get it ready, and limiting the range of hardware they tested on will have been necessary.

Are the system requirements for No Man's Sky inaccurate?

My initial point was simply that how the threat title was worded was bizarrely vague, since it literally apples to every single game.

Hmm,the FIRST CPU generations to use SSE 4.1 are:

Intel: Penryn (Core 2 Solo/Duo/Quad and above) - [NOT Core 1s]
AMD: Barcelona (Phenom K10s and above)

So, if you got below those specs, no SSE 4 for you!

Are the system requirements for No Man's Sky inaccurate?

Yes. When any developer lists any Minimum requirements for a game, it means they are talking about performance. If someone says i3 is minimum, any sane person will think it means i3 CPU performance in gaming, not some random technical instructions support.
AMD Phenom II CPUs blow i3 away in many games, so they should have explicitly mentioned SSE 4.1 support is must.

I mean at the end of the day Nehalem launched in 2008. If you have a 9+ year old CPU I would think you would know playing new games in 2016 might bring issues.

The quad core Nehalem CPUs are quite competent to this day, they can run any game released to date and exceed the performance of the current generation consoles, they also support the SSE 4.1 instruction set.

Like what was said in the OP, the Phenom II CPUs do not support the SSE 4.1 instruction set, and these CPUs are equally as competent as the Nehalem processors.

Other games such as Metal Gear Solid V and Earth Defence Force 4.1 have had similar issues where the game refuses to run on these processors, but this issue was quickly rectified with a patch for both games.

arent these CPUs without se 4.1 suppot like effing 8 years old???? thats like running Cryisis on i486

Doesn't matter. These CPUs can play latest games without any issues.
Minimum requirements should have explicitly stated that SSE 4.1 is MUST.

Even GPU requirements are wrong. They specified GTX 480, which is Open GL 4.2 card.
But now they are saying Open GL 4.5 is minimum.

ethomaz

Banned
It is weird because every Intel CPU after 2008 support it and every AMD CPU after 2011 support SSE 4.1.

Games needs to start to use new instructions some time.

System specs are the first thing people request and then never read. If your processor doesn't support 4.1 then stick to consoles.

It's not an issue - they tweeted that people should make sure their CPU is supported. Pre-SSE 4.1 CPUs are not supported on their minimum requirements.

This is dumb, who checks Twitter for esoteric processor requirements (I mean how would you even know, do you compare electron microscope images or what). Thank god for Steam refund.

ethomaz

Banned
This is dumb, who checks Twitter for esoteric processor requirements. Thank god for Steam refund.
I check every time the minimum requirement before buy a PC game... it was like that since ever.
Every game in Steam page has it before you buy.

If my CPU/GPU or others hardware are not supported... it is a no buy.

It's not an issue - they tweeted that people should make sure their CPU is supported. Pre-SSE 4.1 CPUs are not supported on their minimum requirements.

Where does it explicitly say that??? It just says i3. How hard it was to specify SSE 4.1 lacking CPUs not supported?

Yeah, this is just people expecting something that was never promised. Look at the minimum specs for this game. Who cares what other games work for you, these are the minimum specs for this game.

The system requirements are on the front page of the Steam page. Intel i3 and above include SSE 4.1.

The min requirements do not say that. As has been stated already in the thread, there are better CPUs than the minimum listed that won't be able to run the game.

The system requirements are on the front page of the Steam page. Intel i3 and above include SSE 4.1.

The point is, the term "Intel i3" in no way communicates SSE 4.1 required. I bet you'd never even heard of that instruction set until this thread.

Aselith

So I guess only the GTX 480 and Radeon 7870 are supported also. Sorry, 1080 owners, you are shit out of luck!

Or wait...could it be?...does that mean "or above"? And my Phenom 2 is higher powered than i3's. Huh.

Yeah, this is just people expecting something that was never promised. Look at the minimum specs for this game. Who cares what other games work for you, these are the minimum specs for this game.

Minimum specs mention i3. So does that mean an i7 released before i3 won't run this game? No, right? They should have explicitly mentioned SSE 4.1 is required.

ethomaz

Banned
The min requirements do not say that. As has been stated already in the thread, there are better CPUs than the minimum listed that won't be able to run the game.
The "better" CPU didn't have SSE4.1 so it can't run the game.

Minimum specs mention i3. So does that mean an i7 released before i3 won't run this game? No, right? They should have explicitly mentioned SSE 4.1 is required.
Every i3, i5 or i7 supports SSE4.1.

Top Bottom