• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky PC Version doesn't work on older CPUs

petran79

Banned
Even GPU requirements are wrong. They specified GTX 480, which is Open GL 4.2 card.
But now they are saying Open GL 4.5 is minimum.

Havent Nvidia made this card compatible with 4.5? I know DX12 was reserved only for gtx 6xxx and above. Or have they moved it to legacy status?

Sounds like they told people this when they listed the PC requirements.. Don't see the problem here.

Nope they didn't.

I seriously don't understand are people not getting this simple fact????

They just mentioned i3 as minimum. That doesn't mean by default that SSE 4.1 is required.

Ploid 3.0

Yeah I'd rather they start listing specifics rather than an arbitrary cpu and nothing else ("Oh I'm fine, my cpu smokes i3"). In this case, like others brought up, cpu's better than i3 might not work, but no one would know there was something specific about i3 that allow it to work, SSE 4. It's like giving people dress codes for a party but failing to mention "suit and tie" required red bow ties. I'll chalk it up to AMD chips being after thoughts and soon I shouldn't have that problem. Intel only, Nvidia only.

They should update their requirements to mention SSE 4.1 and higher. That would help customers. Thankfully I didn't preorder before seeing how it ran on PC. I wonder if mods will be possible for this game to fix the smoothness of the mouse look, and other things.

Or better yet, they should list the minimum AMD cpu as well as the i3 so AMD customers will have an idea of what age AMD cpu they need to check for.

The "better" CPU didn't have SSE4.1 so it can't run the game.

Every i3, i5 or i7 supports SSE4.1.

In 99% of cases if the game has minimum requirement of i3 it still runs absolutely fine on Phenom IIs. It tells absolutely nothing if the minimum requirement is i3. They should state that the game doesn't run on processors with no support for SSE4.1.

Guess Who

Banned
So are you telling me no AMD CPUs can run this game at all? Just saying an i3 is minimum doesn't convey nearly enough information.

FX series and newer should be able to, if SSE 4.1 is indeed the requirement. Can't say how well, of course, but they should.

Nictel

GPU wise this is saying the 1060 and up works. You got a 980ti so you think your good. Only you are not because the 980ti doesn't support some required instruction set you never heard of.

ethomaz

Banned
They just mentioned i3 as minimum. That doesn't mean by default that SSE 4.1 is required.
Ok let's see.

Starting with all Core i3 supporting SSE4.1
Above it we have Core i5 where all supports SSE4.1
After we have Core i7 where all supports SSE4.1

Are any AMD CPU above Core i3 for games without SSE4.1? No.

Gestault

I legitimately think people suggesting the minimum requirements are clear enough (because an i3 supports SSE 4.1, therefore people have all the information they need) didn't think that through. If there's a specific limiting factor, that's the important piece of information. If the requirement is specifically related to SSE 4.1, that should be mentioned in the minimum stats.

Ok let's see.

What are you even talking about? AMD Phenom II X6 is ABOVE core i3 in performance.

And i5 and i7 were released before i3. What do you mean ABOVE?

Jebusman

Banned
In case if anyone wants to see what's a "better" CPU:

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i3-530-vs-AMD-Phenom-II-X6-1055T

Phenom II blows i3 away. So any PC gamer will think that game will do fine on AMD Phenom II even if i3 is mentioned. No one will ever imagine that by i3 they meant SSE 4.1 and not gaming performance.

Alright, question for you.

Let's say Hello Games decides that they will update the requirements page to mention SSE4.1 as a requirement, but also stick to their guns with saying that SSE4.1 is a hard requirement.

Which means your CPU will be cut off.

Is that still a happy scenario for you?

Also it's crazy to see that your Phenom II is only barely able to keep up with that i3 in single core performance. I can't imagine how bad the single core performance difference is now.

ethomaz

Banned
What are you even talking about? AMD Phenom II X6 is ABOVE core i3 in performance.

And i5 and i7 were released before i3. What do you mean ABOVE?
Not in games.

1080 released before 1060... what that means? 1080 is still above 1060.

The only part I agree is that they could be more specific saying "SSE4.1 required" but it is a non issue old CPUs that lacks instructions not running the game.

theRizzle

I legitimately think people suggesting the minimum requirements are clear enough (because an i3 supports SSE 4.1, therefore people have all the information they need) didn't think that through. If there's a specific limiting factor, that's the important piece of information. If the requirement is specifically related to SSE 4.1, that should be mentioned in the minimum stats.

Of course, that's common sense. But we are on NeoGAF... people will argue anything, no matter how absurd.

It takes literally almost zero effort to change your Minimum Requirements from i3 to i3*

* (CPU must support SSE4.1)

Even though I still think writing just i3 is a pretty shit minimumr requirement, I don't know what else they could do being that clock speeds aren't really equal across the board. Maybe we should bring the Windows Experience back!

Gestault

Let's say Hello Games decides that they will update the requirements page to mention SSE4.1 as a requirement, but also stick to their guns with saying that SSE4.1 is a hard requirement.

Wait, if I'm getting this right, it does solve the problem. A person could look into whether their CPU would work with the game? Am I misunderstanding?

jwhit28

I feel bad but at least Steam refund is a thing. Honestly the only time I've ever seen these instructions have any sort of impact is in pointing out the reason why Phenom II's had so much trouble with Dolphin and PCSX2.

Also it's crazy to see that your Phenom II is only barely able to keep up with that i3 in single core performance. I can't imagine how bad the single core performance difference is now.

Doesn't matter because almost everything supports multiple cores. Be it videos, games, browsing etc.

Regarding updating requirements, it should have been mentioned IN THE FIRST place that SSE 4.1 is hard requirement. We won't have bothered with the game at all.

Jebusman

Banned
Wait, if I'm getting this right, it solves the problem. A person could look into whether their CPU would work with the game? Am I misunderstanding?

Oh it would solve the problem of "Does my CPU support this or not".

But it won't support the OPs personal issue of "I think my CPU is more powerful than other CPUs why isn't it supported"

Aselith

Why is that a surprise at a slower clock speed? He just has more cores. I don't think nearly double the performance is anything to sneeze at for multicore processing.

How did we get from instruction sets to trying to build a computer hardware hierarchy in one dimension?

Gotta say, I must be getting old since I'm not consumed by a desire to upgrade my computer. Instead I'll just wait for a fix if it ever comes.

Game not working on i7 4790K 32GB RAM Titan X Win 10

Not just the older PC CPU owners having trouble, lot of people on reddit and steam thread have crash before game even runs

Aselith

Game not working on i7 4790K 32GB RAM Titan X Win 10

Not just the older PC CPU owners having trouble, lot of people on reddit and steam thread have crash before game even runs

BRO THE REQUIREMENTS CLEARLY STATE i3. STOP COMPLAINING. YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE A 460.

Jebusman

Banned
Doesn't matter because almost everything supports multiple cores. Be it videos, games, browsing etc..

Single core performance still actually matters to a point.

Although I'm not disagreeing with you on the requirements page not being clear enough.

Also going by the Steam forums right now, SSE4.1 isn't exactly the big issue for a lot of people. You have just about everyone claiming performance is shit, across all vendors. The game is getting absolutely reviewbombed right now because of it.

It just looks to me like an extremely poor PC build on all fronts.

theRizzle

But it won't support the OPs personal issue of "I think my CPU is more powerful than other CPUs why isn't it supported"

I don't see why this is so hard for people to wrap their heads around. His CPU IS MORE POWERFUL than some of the older CPUs people are referencing here. The issue he's having has nothing to do with the "power" of the CPU.

Imagine you rock up to a racetrack in your Formula 1 car. Your car is for all intents and purposes the same as all the other cars on the track and even has more horsepower than some. But your car takes diesel fuel, and this particular track doesn't allow diesel fuelled cars to race. So even though you've got more "power", you can't play.

If they had just said "Petrol Only", OP wouldn't even have bothered showing up.

Akronis

Doesn't matter because almost everything supports multiple cores. Be it videos, games, browsing etc.

Regarding updating requirements, it should have been mentioned IN THE FIRST place that SSE 4.1 is hard requirement. We won't have bothered with the game at all.

Single-threaded performance is still king on most CPU bound games these days. Devs still haven't been able to split stuff effectively between cores.

So yes, it matters quite a bit. It's the entire reason why Intel CPUs absolutely fucking destroy AMD CPUs.

I don't see why this is so hard for people to wrap their heads around. His CPU IS MORE POWERFUL than some of the older CPUs people are referencing here. The issue he's having has nothing to do with the "power" of the CPU.

Imagine you rock up to a racetrack in your Formula 1 car. Your car is for all intents and purposes the same as all the other cars on the track and even has more horsepower than some. But your car takes diesel fuel, and this particular track doesn't allow diesel fuelled cars to race. So even though you've got more "power", you can't play.

If they had just said "Petrol Only", OP wouldn't even have bothered showing up.

Exactly. I sometimes fail to understand why people don't get this simple fact.

Parham

Banned
Unless the min spec explicitly includes AMD CPUs, or states that AMD is not officially supported, it's reasonable to expect the game will run on the generational equivalent to the listed Intel CPU. From what I understand, even Phenom II CPUs that released after the first i3 do not support SSE 4.1. Those who own the later era Phenom II CPUs are right to be upset. Though, with that mind, anyone who owns a CPU that predates the earliest i3 shouldn't expect the game to run on their machine.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
If a piece of sw requires some of the myriad of x86/amd64 ISA extensions then it should say so on the requirements page. I don't get what's so hard to comprehend here for some posters.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
The "better" CPU can't run the game.

No matter if you or others say it is better or not... it didn't fit the requirements lol

It is a non-issue lol

What? Are you being obtuse?

The requirement only state i3 or higher. The Phenom performs better than an i3, so by that reasoning it would work with this game.

The requirements fail to say that it needs SSE 4.1. Which is the ACTUAL REQUIREMENT not i3+.

So yeah, the system requirements are wrong.

Ok let's see.

Well I give you an example. Minimum CPU requirements for Doom:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400/AMD FX-8320 or better

Wouldn't this mean with your logic that Phenom II couldn't run the game? Well it does and with Vulkan very well. They should absolutely state with NMS that it doesn't support some older CPUs like Phenom II. I really don't know how you can disagree with this.

What? That makes no sense, the single core performance isn't going to increase over time. They should have been more clear about the system requirements, end of, what's there to debate?

There's not even any AMD CPU recommendations in the system requirements, how many people are even aware of instruction set requirements?

SSE 4.1 issues are something which has appeared in a few games recently, I know of two, Metal Gear Solid V and Earth Defence Force 4.1.
To my knowledge I don't think there has been any other games with these issues, the SSE 4.1 issues were quickly rectified shortly after the release of these games in a patch.

The Phenom II X6 is a better CPU than the first gen i3, an i3 processor is listed in the "minimum" system requirements, so the Phenom II X6 exceeds these requirements, however the Phenom II CPUs just happen to not support the SSE 4.1 instruction set.

It's quite possible that Hello Games missed this requirement for No Man's Sky, the same as Sandlot when they made the PC version of Earth Defense Force 4.1 and Kojima Productions/Konami when they made the PC version of Metal Gear Solid V.

Hopefully they add support for these processors, as these issues were fixed for other games.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
more time for salty overwatch sessions
out here struggling to maintain 60fips
2MjzxNU.gif

Fluxdyne

Unless there's some manual x86 vectorization in place here, it's probably just a compilation flag that needs to be removed.

Top Bottom