• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky previews (03-03-2016)

IvanJ

Banned
Those are some excellent previews, cementing my decision to get it day one. Will definitely preorder the next time they repeat "Spend $100 get $15 back" deal.

I hope that this game will be a huge success, they really deserve to be rewarded for their effort.

I know its been explained what you do in the game, but I really need to see one of these 30 minute gameplays uncut. Its one thing to say what you do in a game, and another to show it off.

I want to see the treadmill, you know?

Z3M0G

About fucking time...

Wait... June 21st release huh?

Edit: I notice that IGN/Gamespot videos share footage... so they are still controlled with what they can show I assume. IGN talked about shooting the freighter in space while showing it happen, and Gamespot showed the exact same clip.

And they both visited the same extreme cold planet?

Then the same clip looking up at the triangular space station...

Edit: And I'm not usually one to get into this, but I am actually surprised this ended up being a $60 game...

Starviper

My only concern at this point is that the gunplay in space doesn't seem to have a whole lot to it. I suppose the shooter aspect of it isn't the main quality of the game, but i'm hoping it isn't so one-note like i'm seeing in the preview video I watched. Beyond that, the impressions all sound really good! I am quite excited.

forms

I am really eager to try this. My version of most open world games is just roaming around, still I want things to do. as I see it, No Man's sky might fit the bill.

ironcreed

Banned
Dat little rainbow from the glare of the sun:

CVUZ3iJ.gif

A less glowing one over on VG247:

"Technically impressive, stunning to look at, but – whisper it – it’s a bit dull."

----

"During the hands-on I found myself frequently bored, even while those around me seemed rapturous with delight. The shooting felt floaty, and, while there’s some cool tech that lets you blow holes in the ground with grenades, there doesn’t appear to be anything on the ground to actually fight beyond the droids you anger by destroying the worlds you visit.

A big argument against No Man’s Sky is going to hinge on the $60 price point and I think in terms of the work that’s gone into it, it’s absolutely worth that price. Aesthetically and technically it’s a massive achievement, and if you like the idea of exploring an infinite galaxy at your own pace then I couldn’t recommend it enough. If you were expecting an actual game under all of that framework though, you might, like me, be entirely disappointed."

http://www.vg247.com/2016/03/03/no-mans-sky-gameplay/

If i on a planet and I make changes to it, no one else can see it. thats a bummer.

Will you be bale to see other games too?

Sean has said that small and insignificant things won't show up for everyone. He gave an example of writing your name on a planet. That'll always be there for you, but it's not going to show up for everyone else. But there are signficant events that you can impact. If you destroy a space station, that station is going to be destroyed for everyone. But he notes that doing that is very difficult.

Sean has said that small and insignificant things won't show up for everyone. He gave an example of writing your name on a planet. That'll always be there for you, but it's not going to show up for everyone else. But there are signficant events that you can impact. If you destroy a space station, that station is going to be destroyed for everyone. But he notes that doing that is very difficult.

Makes sense. Allowing everyone to see small changes would push any game of any budget if you were generating as much as this game is.

ironcreed

Banned
I am really eager to try this. My version of most open world games is just roaming around, still I want things to do. as I see it, No Man's sky might fit the bill.

Exactly. Just exploring here is the main draw for me, which there is even a faction for. But then I am sure I will be tempted by the trading and war factions as well. It sort of has RPG elements like that, which I personally find to be incredibly exciting.

"and if you like the idea of exploring an infinite galaxy at your own pace then I couldn’t recommend it enough."

"If you were expecting an actual game under all of that framework though, you might, like me, be entirely disappointed.""

Wait..what?

Exploring isn't a game, apparently. Lol.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
That dialogue reveal sounds amazing. I didn't think it was possible for me to get more excited.

Myggen

Anything that has no clear set of rules, to win or lose by, is not a game. If we're going to talk semantics, its going to be really difficult to define Minecraft as a 'game', for instance.

I think you'll find that a lot of people disagree with your definition of a "game". But regardless, that discussion is getting really, really old.

Was anything mentioned about a physical release?

Edit - There's a physical SKU on Amazon complete with box art, so I'm assuming it is getting a retail release.

Anything that has no clear set of rules, to win or lose by, is not a game. If we're going to talk semantics, its going to be really difficult to define Minecraft as a 'game', for instance.

But this does have clear cut rules. You can die. You'll lose unsaved items if you do die. And there's an end goal (to get to the center of the universe).

Fantastic previews, I've been excited about this since day one, never had any of the problems understanding what it's about, infact I got it straight away because this is the kind of experience I've wanted from gaming since I first played Elite decades ago. Absolutely cannot wait to play it!

ironcreed

Banned
This game is going to be wide open for you to pretty much be what you want. Want to fight and raise hell while strip mining the planets like a space pirate? Go for it. Want to be an explorer who discovers new planets, species, elements, etc? It's got you covered. Want to be a survivalist trader who just likes to upgrade and make the journey? You can do that as well.

Basically, if you have no imagination and sense of wonder to go along with the tools and options given, then yes, you might find it dull. That is the sort of deal I always expected. Not some guided tour and some straight and narrow story. But even then, there is still a goal and some lore here, yet you have the choice to totally ignore it.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

So you just want to remove the art of the video games.

A video is the interaction between a player,character,concepts or situations in a virtual world it doesn't need to be more.

It odesn't have to have rules or a game over.and it doesn't have to be kill or be killed.

Mutombo

I think you'll find that a lot of people disagree with your definition of a "game". But regardless, that discussion is getting really, really old.

It's a discussion that's often held with game designers. We just need different terminology for games like Minecraft, NMS, Terraria, etc. According to game designer guru Chris Crawford, if an activity does not have specific goals,nit's not a game, but a toy.

Building shit for the kick of it is a toy. Exploring shit for the kick of it is a toy.

Computer game designer Chris Crawford tried to define the word game[3] using a series of comparisons, or dichotomies:

Something creative is art if it was made because it is beautiful, and entertainment if it was made for money. (This is the least rigid of his definitions. Crawford acknowledges that he often chooses a creative path over conventional business wisdom, which is why only one of his 13 games is a sequel.)
Something that is entertainment is a plaything if it is interactive. Movies and books are entertainment, but not interactive.
If a plaything does not have any goals to complete, it is a toy. (Crawford notes that by his definition, (a) a toy can become a game element if the player makes up rules, and (b) The Sims and SimCity are toys, not games.) If a plaything has goals, it is a challenge.
If a challenge does not have an enemy, it is a puzzle. If it has an enemy or enemies, it is a conflict. (Crawford admits that this is a subjective test. Video games with noticeably algorithmic artificial intelligence can be played as puzzles; these include the patterns used to evade ghosts in Pac-Man.)
If the player can only do better at something than an enemy, and cannot hurt the enemy or slow him down, the conflict is a competition. (Racing and figure skating are competitions.) However, if attacks are allowed, then the conflict qualifies as a game.

I really don't mean this degrading. But that's why we need different terminology. And yeah I suppose the discussion is a beaten horse.

Looks a bit boring. I'll keep an eye on this after its release.

I feel the same way but to be fair the game itself isn't boring but it doesn't appeal to players like us and that's fine. However, the art direction is fantastic I'm also keeping a close eye on it. I'm sure I'll get it just don't know if day one.

It's a discussion that's often held with game designers. We just need different terminology for games like Minecraft, NMS, Terraria, etc. According to game designer guru Chris Crawford, if an activity does not have specific goals,nit's not a game, but a toy.

Building shit for the kick of it is a toy. Exploring shit for the kick of it is a toy.

I really don't mean this degrading. But that's why we need different terminology. And yeah I suppose the discussion is a beaten horse.

virtual sandbox/toybox

hence why it's used as a descriptor for the game's genre

i do get what youre saying though. kinda like a ball is a toy, but catch (with the ball) is a game...w/e there are so many different points and opinions. its just a can of worms.

Nice to get a bit more detail on systems that have successfully made it into the game and the fact that there is a uniting thread through the in-game universe.

My biggest concern is actually more of the MMO type, where this will be interesting and immersive for a short while and then the luster wears off as you become more focused on a goal, at which point the game starts to feel wanting and you eventually get bored and feel like you're going nowhere even though there's tons you technically could be doing that you never bothered to do.

this is what im afraid of.

fetch. upgrade. improve a little. see a slight variation. on grind repeat.

i really want to want this game, but i just dont it's for me. gosh darn beautiful though

I would hope that other planets you go to will change the dynamics of the game some... Like maybe some planets make you slower... Or you are upside down and need to use some sort of tool to get around... Etc etc.. So the content isn't boring or repetitive all the time.

Any sense of how little kid friendly this will be? Like, not in terms of violence or profanity, but could a 5-year-old sit down and have fun with this like Minecraft? Or is there a lot of complex menu interaction required?

ironcreed

Banned
Nice to get a bit more detail on systems that have successfully made it into the game and the fact that there is a uniting thread through the in-game universe.

My biggest concern is actually more of the MMO type, where this will be interesting and immersive for a short while and then the luster wears off as you become more focused on a goal, at which point the game starts to feel wanting and you eventually get bored and feel like you're going nowhere even though there's tons you technically could be doing that you never bothered to do.

Hell, I can say that about every game after spending enough time with it. But I think I will easily get hours upon hours of fun from this like I would from some open world RPG. Yet even with games like TW3 I eventually want to move on for awhile at the very least. As it's a game and that is how it goes.

Top Bottom