• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky previews (03-03-2016)

byropoint

Any sense of how little kid friendly this will be? Like, not in terms of violence or profanity, but could a 5-year-old sit down and have fun with this like Minecraft? Or is there a lot of complex menu interaction required?

Kids will probably like this kind of game more than adults, I remember Sean Murray mentioned somewhere how kids who saw the game don't have a problem seeing where's the fun in it.

Kids will probably like this kind of game more than adults, I remember Sean Murray mentioned somewhere how kids who saw the game don't have a problem seeing where's the fun in it.
Of course they dont. You get into a spaceship and fly to different planet thats enough for kids. Hell some adults too(me included

BigDug13

I thought having this game run at 60fps on console was one of the critical things they didn't want to compromise on. Now being unable to maintain 30 is really disappointing. I just don't see how this game can ever be on PSVR if they can't even get consistent 30fps.

This game is going to be very divisive I think. The people that like it are going to LOOOOVE it. There will also be a vocal crowd of "WHAT DO YOU DO" and "I DON'T GET IT".

i bet you could attribute that ( or part of it) to how kids vs. adults value their time/how much they can afford.

also i think i read somewhere, generally speaking, how older generations prefer direction, objectives, etc. vs new gens not knowing/caring and just figure it out as they go. like they don't need to know what to do, they just do it.

kinda how older generations look at snapchat and dont get it/cant figure out how to work it..( the ui is generally terrible for that app, so bad example, but same principle)

I thought having this game run at 60fps on console was one of the critical things they didn't want to compromise on. Now being unable to maintain 30 is really disappointing. I just don't see how this game can ever be on PSVR if they can't even get consistent 30fps.

well theres a standalone extra power/ram unit for VR for one...i'm sure thatll help immensely as it's meant for hitting those high frame rates

Edit : i stand corrected - thanks for clearing that up

i bet you could attribute that ( or part of it) to how kids vs. adults value their time/how much they can afford.

also i think i read somewhere, generally speaking, how older generations prefer direction, objectives, etc. vs new gens not knowing/caring and just figure it out as they go. like they don't need to know what to do, they just do it.

kinda how older generations look at snapchat and dont get it/cant figure out how to work it..( the ui is generally terrible for that app, so bad example, but same principle)

I think it's actually the opposite. People who played games since the 80's totally get the appeal of a game like that whereas people who grew up with the last couple of generations are used to these huge games filled with colletibles,objectives and quests. That's the impression I get.

MikeyB

I am loving what I am hearing... but I'm going to buy this even if it faceplants on technical issues or bores in gameplay.

Gotta support the space sim and exploration genres.

Still waiting on Enemy Starfighter and Elite for PS4. Gotta get Rogue Galaxy too. This genre needs to stick around rather than go into another decade long hibernation (sorry X series and Spreadsheet MMORPG - you were too inaccessible)

ironcreed

Banned

I am 39 and I have always wanted to be able to just land on a beautiful world or dangerous planet by entering it's atmosphere. Then explore it and take off straight out into space again without any loading. And even in space there are stations, pirates, asteroids, etc. This game achieves that dream.

Honestly, I think that anyone who loves sci fi, survival and who has a sense of wonder and discovery will more than likely fall in love. I mean shit, it has the ingredients of the ultimate final frontier game that so many like myself only dreamed about. All while looking more approachable and fun than the usual dry sim kind of game.

bounchfx

Interesting, but i think it will be another Spore :-/
It's possible, but the biggest difference I see is that spore was mega hyped by the developer and publisher while NMS has been nothing but downplayed by its dev, most of the hype coming from consumers and fans... Arguably it's biggest enemy at this point, people are setting the game up with ridiculous expectations that probably won't be met, but the game will probably be super impressive regardless

Akronis

It's possible, but the biggest difference I see is that spore was mega hyped by the developer and publisher while NMS has been nothing but downplayed by its dev, most of the hype coming from consumers and fans... Arguably it's biggest enemy at this point, people are setting the game up with ridiculous expectations that probably won't be met, but the game will probably be super impressive regardless

It just needs to stay fresh for me. If there's enough unique content, I'll get at least 60 hours out of it.

byropoint

I am 39 and I have always wanted to be able to just land on a beautiful world or dangerous planet by entering it's atmosphere. Then explore it and take off straight out into space again without any loading. And even in space there are stations, pirates, asteroids, etc. This game achieves that dream.

Honestly, I think that anyone who loves sci fi, survival and who has a sense of wonder and discovery will more than likely fall in love. I mean shit, it has the ingredients of the ultimate final frontier game that so many like myself only dreamed about. All while looking more approachable and fun than the usual dry sim kind of game.

I'm in the same boat, can't wait to dive in, exploration and mystery are exciting to me :)

jett

D-Member
Just noticed some screen tearing in the Giant Bomb video. Hopefully that gets ironed out.

I haven't really been sold on the game, I think due to the way information has been trickling down ever since it was announced, but these new previews make it seem intriguing at least

I do prefer by a large-ass margin "bespoke" content and not procedurally-generated stuff though.

CHC

Is there any footage of the NPC interactions that the previews all mentioned? That stuff sounds cool.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like this is the type of game the press will easily get wrong.
Nobody there is going to put in the time to see if the game breaks down after a 100 hours or if it still stays fresh.

Might be Diablo 3, Sim City, etc all over again.
Where the start is stellar but once you reach the end it broke....

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I feel like this is the type of game the press will easily get wrong.
Nobody there is going to put in the time to see if the game breaks down after a 100 hours or if it still stays fresh.

Might be Diablo 3, Sim City, etc all over again.
Where the start is stellar but once you reach the end it broke....
The start of Sim City was anything but stellar.

KTallguy

Banned
I'm excited for this.

I know why they don't release just stock gameplay footage though... it's like Minecraft. Those kinds of games don't make easy marketing reels.

taoofjord

I'm in no matter what. It's essentially a dream game for me. That said I'm still not convinced the many mechanics talked about will be deep enough for this game to not end up deeply divisive. Not to mention that ambitious games like these tend to not have a good feel to player movement and combat. I hope I'm wrong but either way I know I'll have fun just flying around to different planets.

FStop7

Banned
Maybe you want a better ship with a little more range, or more fuel to help you get that little bit further. Best venture over to one of the many trading posts, and see if you can barter with one of the civilised alien races that populate the universe - though, first, you're going to have to learn to speak their language, your understanding enhanced by interacting with monoliths that are scattered across planets.

This set off warning bells with me. It sounds like Destiny-esque grinding.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's 60. FoV might be the reason.

That's not what it seems to be according to the previews. At least not on PS4. Where did you get the 60 fps part?

DaW1BxI.png

Interesting.

That's most probably because of the framerate.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
The start of Sim City was anything but stellar.

Wasn't the whole thing with Sim City that if they'd get the online stuff under control that it was a fun game? At least for the first 10 hours, where it then breaks and everyone sees how the simulation didn't hold up?

KJRS_1993

After watching the preview videos I finally understand wtf the point of this game is and how everything fits together.

It actually seems super neat. I'll wait for the reviews and definitely think about checking it out.

tcrunch

Looks like Spore's space mode with added resource grinding. Day 14 or something, once lots of reviews and actual player experiences have come out.

Also the Push Square video isn't a 30 min gameplay video and the name of the link doesn't match the name of the video?

Pizza

I still wish I could have even one single IRL friend in NMS. I find wandering a game space a ton of fun with a friend and mining/hacking shit as a duo would be awesome.

I feel like I will personally get sick of playing NMS alone after awhile

Akronis

Well one of the other previews said that he tried to hack a console to steel the ship because he couldn't afford it :)

This sort of gameplay is always awesome. Multiple ways to do shit is the best :D

I still wish I could have even one single IRL friend in NMS. I find wandering a game space a ton of fun with a friend and mining/hacking shit as a duo would be awesome.

I feel like I will personally get sick of playing NMS alone after awhile

They said they may explore traditional multiplayer options after the game launches. I'm guessing it's a technical issue as legit multiplayer is super complex.

bombshell

Looks like Spore's space mode with added resource grinding. Day 14 or something, once lots of reviews and actual player experiences have come out.

Also the Push Square video isn't a 30 min gameplay video and the name of the link doesn't match the name of the video?

You're right, I've updated the video link.

Tumle

This sort of gameplay is always awesome. Multiple ways to do shit is the best :D
Yes I love that kind of freedom.. As long as the risk reward system, is tuned right :)
It shouldn't be to easy to steel a space craft, like its GTA.. But not so hard that you'll just get the space police on your tail every time you steel something.. It should be in between, so you don't just steal everything, but still have the option :)

Other Intelligence Alien races to interact with is brand new information, it's one thing to find animals running around, it's another to find a whole living civilization!

That's one helluva algorithm they've programmed.

Top Bottom