• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Mans Sky releasing June 21, LEs revealed, maybe getting free post launch support

Wink

I'm still not sure about this one. I feel like the GTA-style wanted system will stifle exploration.

I don't think so, you're free to explore wherever you like, it just stifles blowing up shit like taking the short way into a structure or overfarming a planets ressources.

Edit: let me clarify, I think it's a necessary design decision to keep the way the progression works in check. If no one is stopping me from blowing up doors why would I bother developing hacking tools for example.

I'm sure it's been asked a million times, but does the Explorer Edition come with all the stuff from the Limited?

I don't think so? They are both the premium versions for their respective platforms. LE is a physical edition for PS4 and comes with steelbook, artbook, comic, DLC, etc...

The Explorer Edition is for PC and comes with a digital code for the game (so, no steelbook case needed), the metal ship model, a pin, a diorama backdrop for that ship, some DLC, and a "mystery item" worth $10.

I don't think so? They are both the premium versions for their respective platforms. LE is a physical edition for PS4 and comes with steelbook, artbook, comic, DLC, etc...

The Explorer Edition is for PC and comes with a digital code for the game (so, no steelbook case needed), the metal ship model, a pin, a diorama backdrop for that ship, some DLC, and a "mystery item" worth $10.

Disgusting. I want all the PS4 items but not the PS4 game. >.> Maybe one of my friends on PS4 is buying the game anyways.

smudge

It's being developed and published by a small, independent studio. Why wouldn't it be?

I know it seems like it sometimes, but "indie" isn't short for "puzzle-platformer".

Just seems unusual to see so much marketing $$$ thrown at a small independent studio

I got a refund from steam for XCOM 2, due to poor performance. That game has to be up there with the poorest optimization. My laptop runs games way more involved than XCOM 2, with 5x the framerate. It's ridiculous.

Anyways, I used the refund to pre-purchase No Man's Sky.

Playing Ark: Survival Evolved this last weekend (it was on sale), had me wishing I was playing NMS instead.

SomTervo

Less than a month now and nothing about going gold yet. I think this game is getting delayed.

Doesn't "going gold" entail printing the discs? Isn't this game digital only?

edit: lol, first pic on the first page is boxart

Plenty of games go gold like two weeks before launch. It's no biggie yet, IMO.

enewtabie

I feel like something is up. 27 days away and nothing but silence. This is a big game for Sony in the summer. IGN had the videos a month ago so I thought it wouldn't be a problem. I hope it comes out on time.

My biggest concern is the lack of a Beta test.

This game seems to be 100% in-house, which means they have a very small staff testing the game as they make it. A game that relies HEAVILY on math equations and systems, as opposed to just static resources.

I can't help but think that NMS launch day might be messy. Even if it is mostly a singleplayer game.

The PS4 version will probably be less buggy. But the PC version? Who knows...

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

This game seems to be 100% in-house, which means they have a very small staff testing the game as they make it. A game that relies HEAVILY on math equations and systems, as opposed to just static resources.

I can't help but think that NMS launch day might be messy. Even if it is mostly a singleplayer game.

The PS4 version will probably be less buggy. But the PC version? Who knows...

You can play NMS offline.

I am really excited for this game, I pre-ordered a PC version and a PS4 Limited Edition. Hopefully Overwatch and a few other games will keep me busy till release.

dukie85

It's amazing to me just how quickly the PS4 LE sold out. They really must've wanted to put an emphasis on the limited part.

How long would you have a Beta then in order to encourage while simultaneously stunt exploration so that things closer to the center don't get spoiled? Would it be PC as well or just PS4, and if PC were involved how difficult would it be to put controls in place for the Beta so that it doesn't get hacked and people zoom off and spoil the Center anyway? Do you then create a version of the game that is only really contained within 3-5 star systems? Does creating a more compact slice of the game for a beta mean you hand-tweak variables so we all get to explore planets with the kind of variation that likely wouldn't be indicative of the final game, ultimately leading to accusations of "false advertising" when the retail version launches because the experiences are so starkly different? Etc...

No Beta for what they're creating makes sense. If you're unsure the final product will hold up to your expectations (bugs and all), then don't preorder it. Wait a week or two in order to jump in, if you still want to. 100% guarantee that you will still be exploring and seeing some things that the rest of humanity will never see. Which I think is pretty fucking cool.

I got a refund from steam for XCOM 2, due to poor performance. That game has to be up there with the poorest optimization. My laptop runs games way more involved than XCOM 2, with 5x the framerate. It's ridiculous.

Anyways, I used the refund to pre-purchase No Man's Sky.

Playing Ark: Survival Evolved this last weekend (it was on sale), had me wishing I was playing NMS instead.

What are your specs?

Less than a month now and nothing about going gold yet. I think this game is getting delayed.

If only there was some major event that Sony could use as a catalyst to invigorate the market and launch a game coming out on June 21st...

But you're probably right. Since there are no major marketing events between now and launch, it's certainly getting delayed.

EDIT: OOPS! Nevermind!!

BigDug13

I'm not concerned about the Netcode.

I'm concerned about the core game having bugs in it.

How many single player games get a beta? Even multiplayer games. There was no beta for Borderlands or BL2 or most other games. When did it become normal to expect beta tests on all games? That's usually only reserved for highly anticipated multiplayer games that have heavy server stress loads.

Mifec

tfw saw it was on GoG. Buying day 1 if it's good simply due to the fact that it won't have any Denuvo bullshit on PC.

karasu

I'm so excited for this game. My hype is at critical levels at this point and I'm going to explore the shit out of that universe.

OmegaDL50

There had playable builds press played a month or so ago which a lot of them did hands-on impressions articles.

Since almost all of these articles don't even mention issues with the game in terms of performance. I doubt there will be many long standing issues if any that would cause NMS to be delayed.

They were already set back in terms of development back in 2013 when their studio was flooded.

If Hello Games, ran into an issue with the game, they aren't the sort of company to announce that the game is to be delayed at the last second and would have likely addressed an issue by now, especially since we are only 4 weeks away from it's given release date.

ryan299

mrqs

Have we seen any recent footage that has this huge amount of stuff on screen that we've seen on E3 2014?

iZ8DPMi.jpg

1MXhunQ.jpg

pJy2aWB.jpg

Right now, from memory, i don't remember. Does anyone know something about that?

Have we seen any recent footage that has this huge amount of stuff on screen that we've seen on E3 2014?

Right now, from memory, i don't remember. Does anyone know something about that?

Those supercuts were taken from planets that were specifically generated for trailers and demos using the engine (and algorithm) they have been working on; they were essentially "set pieces" created in-engine. Things that we've been seeing recently via gameplay demos on IGN, etc.. have been more indicative of what we'll be encountering, not taking into consideration what a lot of what we'll be encountering is likely planets without complex life. But what's up? Are you concerned? Also, mind quoting those images?

OmegaDL50

In regards to a delay rumors from Kotaku.

Like the thing with all news one should always take second party information regardless how credible or not it may be with a grain of salt. Until Hello Games makes an official statement on the matter, I'll just keep waiting as I have been.

Unless Sony told HG to hold off on release to time it with PSVR, even so a VR game requires 60FPS bare minimum. Since HG has been working on the game with the same rendering engine for the past 4 years or so, Unless they plan on having NEO specific features, a two month delay to August isn't going to make too much of impact outside of some additional time to polish and do QA work.

Even so Neo specific additions if they do happen, will have little bearing if any on the PC version, so as I said, until an official announcement is made directly from Sony or Hello Games, I'll be waiting.

RiverKwai

In regards to a delay rumors from Kotaku.

Like the thing with all news one should always take second party information regardless how credible or not it may be with a grain of salt. Until Hello Games makes an official statement on the matter, I'll just keep waiting as I have been.

Yup

jett

D-Member
Those supercuts were taken from planets that were specifically generated for trailers and demos using the engine (and algorithm) they have been working on; they were essentially "set pieces" created in-engine. Things that we've been seeing recently via gameplay demos on IGN, etc.. have been more indicative of what we'll be encountering, not taking into consideration what a lot of what we'll be encountering is likely planets without complex life. But what's up? Are you concerned? Also, mind quoting those images?

That's a lot of words for saying no.

RedSwirl

I believe Sony is helping them out.

I think recently Murray said the game is still entirely self-funded. If true, Sony is probably only handling distribution of the retail version, and probably some marketing.

Even the press demo event was altered compared to what the final game will be like in terms of the density of resources and life.

Have they said if they're going to do the Super Special Edition with the ship for the PS4 yet or is it still only for the PC? Because I *really* want that version but I would much, much rather play this on my PS4 (mostly because there's not a chance in hell my iMac will run it).

If it's just a digital code that it comes with anyway I don't see why they wouldn't be able to. ):

Top Bottom