• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky "Super Special Announcement" at PlayStation Experience

FleetFeet

When people go on about "random" content, they're still talking about procedural generation since virtually no games feature truly random content. Because it would be awful.

It does take a special game design to make procedural content work well, however, so I understand the hesitation. I hope these guys get it right.

I can understand that, but I think it's not as clear cut as that. His critique was on the basis of how such a vast galaxy will be able to fill up worlds with life without making it boring with the idea that it's generated randomly (we can only go with what he wrote and we don't really know if he knows or understands the game is procedurally generated and how that works, only that he thinks everything can happen to anything for any reason just because). I think it's just PR from prior games getting the better of some people and conflating the two, and not actually understanding what the difference is.

They have gone into great detail with this (very start of the interview with Sean goes directly into this topic). There are rules to the structures and basis of this galaxy and it goes in-depth as to how they are created and how procedural generation in this game works. So I think that we're in good hands as to how varied and vast the galaxy will be with regards to life on these planets and so on.

Could the thread title be changed to reflect that no one has stated anything about a super special announcement? People are still being confused by the title.

They probably just have the game playable at the event or something.

Top Bottom