• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoA PR - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is Fastest-Selling Mario Kart in Franchise history

VrxPLk6.png

not. but the low numbers
even in Japan, Switch was selling ~50k each week in April
and the US is a bigger market for Nintendo

supply constrained for sure, but that low?

i just try to figure something out here
Could be their internal numbers haven't updated for the last week of April yet, I think that sort of thing has happened before? Dunno otherwise.

Kouriozan

This is honestly not that impressive, it will drop in sales anyway once it hits the core audience of 17 million. Switch gamers are starved for games and there wasn't much other games coming out this week to compete. Other Mario Karts never really sold that well in America.
Ah, the birth of a new meme.

So was that 2.4m figure for Switch first month sales incorrect? 2.7m through May would mean it only sold 300k for the entire month WW, which doesnt sound right.

2.74 million was announced as thé official number by Nintendo during the fiscal year presentation - the 2.7 million number is as of end of March.

This.

To put it another way, they aren't tipping their hand about how many they've sold since March.

Nintendo has a hit.

Update the system in 2-3 years (Switch Pro) so in terms of horsepower they're not being overlapped too much by the other machines, then release Switch 2 a couple of years after that. They have the format now, no more extra gimmicks and no more weird consoles in the future.

Yours correctly captured the statement, and the fact that this might only refer to the U.S.

Seems to. The game is somewhere south of 208k in the UK (though that's week a few more days than just launch day) but likely to be over 100k I imagine. Possibly over 600k between the two, probably 500-600k. Add in what we can probably expect from Japan, and other European regions...

If it isn't over a million globally right now, it will be very soon.

Hero

Nintendo used a Blue Spiky Shell on the industry. I had confidence in the Switch but never would've expected this outcome.

Thatanas

It's a pretty low second month sales figure, though. They must have had far more severe stock problems than we thought.
You don't fly in more systems overseas because you feel your supply constraints are not that severe. It's probably a slower month, also due to a lack of new major titles until MK8D, but supply constraints were probably bigger than anticipated.

So 1/2 of US Switch owner bought it on day 1?

The 1-2 Switch combo of Zelda and Mario Kart is doing wonders.
Wonder if Nintendo is gonna try this combo again for System launches

oti

Banned
Think about this in a business management way. The vast majority of this game's cost occured on the Wii U years ago. Back then it was a success, sold great DLC for a fair price that surely also was a success. Now, years later, Nintendo ports the game, invests some fresh money into the Battle mode and new marketing, bundles in the DLC (which was also worked on years ago) and it's yet another success. The same game. And it will sell and sell and sell.

This is absolutely crazy. As incompetent Nintendo can be when it comes to production planning and stock-keeping, this cost efficiency and software planning is masterful.

Little Mons†er;235336858 said:
Holy shit!

Slay us Nintendo

mariah-champs.gif

#banthisgif

joeposh

In DC, the ESA and Nintendo held a Switch launch party about a week ago. It stuck me as odd at the time, but should give you a sense of the importance that Nintendo is placing on MK8 Deluxe to expand their market share.

Col.Asher

This is honestly not that impressive, it will drop in sales anyway once it hits the core audience of 17 million. Switch gamers are starved for games and there wasn't much other games coming out this week to compete. Other Mario Karts never really sold that well in America.
Was there a serious post framed like this or is this a combination of posts?

Extremely impressive numbers, even more so considering that it broke Mario Kart Wii day one numbers. When Mario Kart Wii came out, Wii was already 17 months old in North America. Contrast that to Switch, which is just shy of 2 months old.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I admit I underestimated the potential of MK8D. It seems to be way bigger than I thought. In the end I bought it myself although I thought I wouldn't having played MK8 on Wii U a lot.

Nintendo has a hit.

Update the system in 2-3 years (Switch Pro) so in terms of horsepower they're not being overlapped too much by the other machines, then release Switch 2 a couple of years after that. They have the format now, no more extra gimmicks and no more weird consoles in the future.

The Switch U is gonna be awesome.

TBH this shit's been going on for years. Every time Nintendo has some sort of success you got all these armchair analysts trying to downplay it. The Switch announcement brought em back in full force but they've been a bit quiet lately. Wonder why.
The new Thinking gif meme is killing me.

Prompto

Banned
TBH this shit's been going on for years. Every time Nintendo has some sort of success you got all these armchair analysts trying to downplay it. The Switch announcement brought em back in full force but they've been a bit quiet lately. Wonder why.
Same thing happened with Sony back in 2013/2014. Hell you still have people shouting that the console market as a whole is dead.

Interfectum

Same thing happened with Sony back in 2013/2014. Hell you still have people shouting that the console market as a whole is dead.

Yup and like PS4, Switch has quickly adopted the 'has no games' meme. I'm guessing we'll be well into 2018 before that goes away.

Wow. I expected impressive numbers, but this? This is insane. MK8 is also a far better game than MK Wii so I hope it will manage to keep momentum.

Could be their internal numbers haven't updated for the last week of April yet, I think that sort of thing has happened before? Dunno otherwise.

could be. but the last week would not change that much.
well both Amazon and Gamestop got a new Shipment for the last week of April and for early May.

Even 80k would bring Switch sales not above 200k for 4 weeks in April
I also thought about the fact they just used March Hardware numbers and maybe internal NA oder US numbers, that are a little higher than the reported NPD numbers?

Leatherface

I think Nintendo is now realizing just how many people love a proper battle mode. I really think this was a huge cherry on top. So now we have the best kart racer ever made, with an awesome battle mode and is completely portable. They hit all the right notes for mega success.

Keyouta

Impressive, keeping up the news and announcements, and a constant stream of games will ensure a good future for the console. Minecraft soon. Hope to see the rumored Pokemon game announced in the next two months.

it's not really that impressive. all the mario kart fans are going to buy this game anyway so sales are probably going to die down after the first 8 million or so. also, nintendo handhelds always do well so this is not that impressive. also, lots of games are the fasted selling in franchise history so it shouldn't shock people when another game does that.

skypunch

Banned
it's not really that impressive. all the mario kart fans are going to buy this game anyway so sales are probably going to die down after the first 8 million or so. also, nintendo handhelds always do well so this is not that impressive. also, lots of games are the fasted selling in franchise history so it shouldn't shock people when another game does that.

Lol.

Top Bottom