• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoA PR - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is Fastest-Selling Mario Kart in Franchise history

I'm still kind of stunned that Wii U was such a massive roadblock for people that we are seeing basically the same piece of software in a different plastic box just absolutely crushing it.

takriel

it's not really that impressive. all the mario kart fans are going to buy this game anyway so sales are probably going to die down after the first 8 million or so. also, nintendo handhelds always do well so this is not that impressive. also, lots of games are the fasted selling in franchise history so it shouldn't shock people when another game does that.
The birth of a new meme.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
So 1/2 of US Switch owner bought it on day 1?

The 1-2 Switch combo of Zelda and Mario Kart is doing wonders.
Wonder if Nintendo is gonna try this combo again for System launches

If they're smart, they certainly should learn from it. I was afraid Zelda wouldn't have been enough to carry the launch alone yet it did

Interfectum

I'm still kind of stunned that Wii U was such a massive roadblock for people that we are seeing basically the same piece of software in a different plastic box just absolutely crushing it.

The hybrid nature of the Switch is a huge selling point and will continue to be one going forward, even for third party games.

Thatanas

it's not really that impressive. all the mario kart fans are going to buy this game anyway so sales are probably going to die down after the first 8 million or so. also, nintendo handhelds always do well so this is not that impressive. also, lots of games are the fasted selling in franchise history so it shouldn't shock people when another game does that.
'This is not that impressive. It will be one of the better selling games for the system, probably this generation, but it's not that impressive.'

Can't tell if this is a joke or not.

lol

Holy crap to that day one number! I myself didn't buy it until day two, I wonder how many more of us are out there.

But the numbers in that PR are indeed pretty strange. We know they sold 906k Switches in March, and if 459k MK8D's equate to a 45% attach rate, that means there are 1.02m Switches in the US total, which would mean 114k sold in April. That seems mightily low considering how many are being sold weekly in Japan. But I guess that's possible due to severe supply issues?

That would be a fairly disappointing month 2 to be honest unless my math is very bad.

EDIT: Or their own hardware numbers aren't up to date?

Damn, Nintendo eating like a king right now.

If only third parties could get on board more legitimately and help move the chains...

DNAbro

This is probably brilliant

E-phonk

Banned
Holy crap to that day one number! I myself didn't buy it until day two, I wonder how many more of us are out there.

But the numbers in that PR are indeed pretty strange. We know they sold 906k Switches in March, and if 459k MK8D's equate to a 45% attach rate, that means there are 1.02m Switches in the US total, which would mean 114k sold in April. That seems mightily low considering how many are being sold weekly in Japan. But I guess that's possible due to severe supply issues?

That would be a fairly disappointing month 2 to be honest unless my math is very bad.
Or they only have internal "official" numbers until a certain periode?

Effect

Sales are well deserved. Portable Mario Kart is always great. A proper battle mode seals the deal.

Jesus. The amount of pent-up demand for Nintendo games after the Wii U years is insane. It actually makes the marketing debacle around the Wii U seem way worse in retrospect, because it's clear that people really wanted these games, but just either really didn't want a Wii U or didn't know it was out there.

For all the issues the Wii U had the marketing was always one of the biggest if not THE biggest issue it had from the very start. The marketing for that system was horrible at worse and questionable at best. You can see in even the pro-Wii U threads there. You'd be hard pressed to find Wii U owners and fans that felt Nintendo were doing a good job marketing the system or the games. While the Wii U wouldn't have been a success I think if marketing was different it would mean the difference between it ending life in the 13 million vs ending life in the low 20 million range.

Having must have titles at the start to drive sales also plays a big part. Build that install base first and then worry about third parties. Though the Switch has an easier time on this front though because it's the second HD system and not the first for Nintendo.

Zedark

As some have stated, the US Switch unit number seems really low: 45% attach rate means that there would be about 1020k, compared to the 906k sold after March, this is really low (only 114k in a month?). I have a hypothesis: the 1020k number they reference in the PR could be the total number of units shipped to the US as of the end of March. This number is different from the 906k because the final shipment that was sent in the closing days (allegedly the remaining 114k) was not yet available for sale within March, therefore it didn't show up in NPD. The Switch number, in line with the 2.7 million number in the PR, is therefore referring to March information so as not to give away information about Switch hardware sales from beyond the previous fiscal year. What do you guys think?

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Interested in seeing the worldwide total

new copypasta I see

Anteo

So its likely they were saving the big restocks for the mk launch day and they didnt really sell that much on april before that.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I'm seriously confused by that that attach rate, something's weird here because no way can it be that low supply so they only sold 120k in NA for a whole month.

Zedark

Your math is fine - I would argue your premise is off. See my post (#219) for what I think is going on there.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I'm seriously confused by that that attach rate, something's weird here because no way can it be that low supply so they only sold 120k in NA for a whole month.

Yeah it is odd. If it's that bad then Nintendo really needs to get their stock situation together

iosef

Strong

JonnyKong

I can't say I'm surprised when both Zelda and MK Deluxe have had such strong review scores all round, of course people are going to sit up and think yeah I want a piece of that pie. (a Polygon pie)

Or they only have internal "official" numbers until a certain periode?

Could be, added that in an edit thanks.

As some have stated, the US Switch unit number seems really low: 45% attach rate means that there would be about 1020k, compared to the 906k sold after March, this is really low (only 114k in a month?). I have a hypothesis: the 1020k number they reference in the PR could be the total number of units shipped to the US as of the end of March. This number is different from the 906k because the final shipment that was sent in the closing days (allegedly the remaining 114k) was not yet available for sale within March, therefore it didn't show up in NPD. The Switch number, in line with the 2.7 million number in the PR, is therefore referring to March information so as not to give away information about Switch hardware sales from beyond the previous fiscal year. What do you guys think?

Yeah something weird is up with the numbers. It seems weird that they'd even cite the attach rate if the hardware numbers weren't current but I guess you never know.

Or they are only telling us what the attach rate is to the publicly-revealed install base numbers.

But again the hardware number they've shared publicly is 906k, not 1020k, right?

Thatanas

Again: they had to fly in more stock due to supply constraints. When you make decisions like that, the numbers seem quite believeable. Not sure how they could let stock get that low, but it seems possible.

I got you fam.

mario_kart_pie_chart.jpg
mario_kart_sales_releative_to_platform.jpg

Lol...is this real? :D

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Could be their internal numbers haven't updated for the last week of April yet, I think that sort of thing has happened before? Dunno otherwise.

April NPD will be VERY low for Switch
On some market they didn't ship ANY stock until Mario Kart , unlike Japan when they shipped less but more regularly

YX6ZTJ2.gif

Console owners starved for software buy Nintendo's biggest-selling franchise in droves.

Not terribly surprising.

I brought it because I like Mario Kart, not because I was dying for something to play. I don't see why the tone is necessary. As someone who originally thought the switch was going to do well, but not great, it's interesting news.

He was either being sarcastic or referencing someone else's post in jest. I doubt he was serious.

Zedark

Could be, added that in an edit thanks.

Yeah something weird is up with the numbers. It seems weird that they'd even cite the attach rate if the hardware numbers weren't current but I guess you never know.

But again the hardware number they've shared publicly is 906k, not 1020k, right?

If you pretend you don't have higher number for Switch, you can claim the attach rate is higher than it actually is, which looks good to the untrained eye I'd think.

I think they are allowing FY2016 information they have to be disseminated, but they don't want to allow a peak into their new fiscal year performance. That's why they are allowed to give the shipped numbers for US in March, but not for the period leading up to April. It is in line with the other number they give - the 2.7 million Switches, which is also shipped.

Top Bottom