• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoA PR - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is Fastest-Selling Mario Kart in Franchise history

Gurish

I'm the one who have opened up the Switch prediction thread, I was skeptical there and so were most of the people, I'm beginning to think that we were dead wrong, too many signs show this thing is going to be massive, it's not just a nice WiiU style launch, people are fucking hyped, can I change my prediction? :p

NateDrake

I think you're right, didn't a bunch of retailers get Switch shipments on the 28th?

Yes, and it seems unlikely that Nintendo would want to disclose hardware sales in this statement. MK8DX had a strong opening, and they can expand on its hardware impact in their NPD address.

Kyzer

Banned
MK8D will basically be the Wii Sports of the Switch. Not that it will have the same impact in terms of broadening the market and sheer selling power, but simply in term of being the game that best embodies the promise of the system. It's an incredibly popular IP that has released basically at the beginning of the Switch's life, takes advantage of every controller style, uses motion control and HD rumble, is perfect for out of the box multiplayer and local wireless sessions, is gorgeous on the handheld screen and takes advantage of the extra power while docked by being 1080p and 60 fps for single and 2-player split screen. It basically does everything possible to promote the appeal of the system. It will continue to sell truckloads as time goes on and will be perhaps the biggest driver of sales of the Switch when it's all said and done.

You have a point. And the switch works so well for showing other people, it will synergize. Switch has the best potential for word of mouth marketing than any other console or handheld ever

I actually think the Switch is the Wii Sports of the Switch. The system's hardware is actually what sells me as a consumer, which is laughable considering what it is in terms of raw power. But the way they put it together is so slick and great. The Switch is the Switch of the Switch.

That's a good way of looking at it tbh.

I remeber people arguing that if people wanted these games they would've bought a Wii U...while a bit early, i think this shows otherwise.
It's a really high quality re-release out at the right time.
They should definitely do more and release them during any slower months since they're low risk projects which wouldn't need to sell too many units.
They have many HD games that were released on a system that barely passed 10 Million units. Most can benefit from being on Switch since many lacked strong gamepad functionality and were like 720p so the Switch should be able to bump it up to 1080p. The file sizes are also reasonably small with the biggest being like 22GB.
Something like 3D World would benefit highly from being on Switch since it's multiplayer capable straight out of the box. Throw in something like 3D Land or Captain Toad to make it a better value.
Bayonetta 2 and the W101 would be sweet since those games are so good. Smoother frame rates and higher resolutions would be a welcome addition there. Maybe add some amiibo support (auto unlock costumes or characters)

Effect

I think people forget but this pretty much guarantees Nintendo's online paid service will be a success out of the gate. They get you hooked on that Mario Kart once again. Do it again with Splatoon 2. If ARMS is a success that's another game you're going to want to pay to continue playing with friends and randoms. Then you have Minecraft, Street Fighter, Bomberman which has gotten better, maybe Xenoblade 2 has online play like how Xenoblade Chronicles X did with group boss battles. Then don't be surprised if Smash gets announced for the Fall to release at the earliest right along side the paid service or maybe for the beginning of the new year. So much of the first year has a multiplayer focus be it offline or online. The whole line up has been smart on several fronts. No way they don't make bank on the paid service on just the multiplayer alone with these games.

That's not even factoring in other games they have not announced or what features come with the online service.

I'm the one who have opened up the Switch prediction thread, I was skeptical there and so were most of the people, I'm beginning to think that we were dead wrong, too many signs show this thing is going to be massive, it's not just a nice WiiU style launch, people are fucking hyped, can I change my prediction? :p

Don't change your original undershot, just make a new overshot.

Say it will dethrone PS2. You feel it in you, don't you?

Falchion

Damn, people are ready for more Switch games. I would've bought it if I didn't already have MK8 and the season pass.

This is why the CONCEPT of the Switch is amazing. One system that could get every single Nintendo game. It'd be like Sony how they only support the PS4 and not the Vita.

Nintendo could produce a big game almost every month. They would easily sell hardware if this is what they ultimately transform the Switch into.

Dre3001

The amount of people who bought a WiiU or gave a shit about it is severely exaggerated on GAF.

Mario Kart Wii sold 32 million and Mario Kart 8 sold only 8 million.

That means there are tons of Mario Kart fans who skipped 8 because they didn't want a WiiU.

I remember a number of posters kept hammering on the "double dip" effect and it having an impact on MK8D when it's almost a guarantee that this game will surpass the WiiU version easily.

Arynio

Well it's gotta be something like this. There's no way Switch only sold 100~200k in April after selling 900k in March.

Agreed, but it's a very misleading PR. The figures are impressive in itselves, they didn't need to "sell" that incorrect 45% first day attach rate.

Just nitpicking, though. I'm so glad Nintendo is doing fine again.

Zedark

I think people forget but this pretty much guarantees Nintendo's online paid service will be a success out of the gate. They get you hooked on that Mario Kart once again. Do it again with Splatoon 2. If ARMS is a success that's another game you're going to want to pay to continue playing with friends and randoms. Then you have Minecraft, Street Fighter, maybe Xenoblade 2 has online like how Xenoblade Chronicles X did with group boss battles. Then watch Smash get announced for the Fall to release right along side the paid service. So much of the first year has a multiplayer focus be it offline or online. The whole line up has been smart on several fronts. No way they don't make bank on the paid service on just the multiplayer alone with these games.

That's not even factoring in other games they might have or what features come with the online service.

I mean, it was always going to be a success. Microsoft and Sony proved that consumers don't care one bit about paying for online multiplayer.

The hardware numbers in the PR just don't make sense to me. I could be wrong (I'm no analyst) but the numbers are just too low for the information we have available.

Then again, there's always the distinct chance that Nintendo deliberately throttled supply to make sure there would be an abundance of hardware at the end of the month, thereby ensuring interested players could get their hands on one when they went to buy MK8D. Amazon and Toys R Us had restocks recently, so maybe that's why the number appears low now, but could actually just not be taking into account a strategy to have the maximum amount of units available on the game's launch day.

ggx2ac

As some have stated, the US Switch unit number seems really low: 45% attach rate means that there would be about 1020k, compared to the 906k sold after March, this is really low (only 114k in a month?). I have a hypothesis: the 1020k number they reference in the PR could be the total number of units shipped to the US as of the end of March. This number is different from the 906k because the final shipment that was sent in the closing days (allegedly the remaining 114k) was not yet available for sale within March, therefore it didn't show up in NPD. The Switch number, in line with the 2.7 million number in the PR, is therefore referring to March information so as not to give away information about Switch hardware sales from beyond the previous fiscal year. What do you guys think?

We know that 1.2 million Switch units were shipped to the Americas upto March 31st so it could be a possibility that 1.02 million is for the US alone.

Effect

I mean, it was always going to be a success. Microsoft and Sony proved that consumers don't care one bit about paying for online multiplayer.

I agree but I think there are many here that would argue hard against that. Some that were so sure Nintendo would fail there.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I actually think the Switch is the Wii Sports of the Switch. The system's hardware is actually what sells me as a consumer, which is laughable considering what it is in terms of raw power. But the way they put it together is so slick and great. The Switch is the Switch of the Switch.

How is it laughable? Take off both joycons and that little tablet is running games like Breath of the Wild and MK8D. Thats pretty damn impressive.

Everytime I see my PS4 next to the Switch Im more impressed at how powerful the Switch is considering how tiny it is.

13ruce

Banned
Again this is just a port huh......?
All those people who thought it's just a port and it will sell less than normal time for some crow.

Zedark

We know that 1.2 million Switch units were shipped to the Americas upto March 31st so it could be a possibility that 1.02 million is for the US alone.

True, Canada was like 10% of the US market if I remember some GAFfers' comments correctly, and Latin America isn't that big for Nintendo either I believe, so it could very well fit within this framework.

TS-08

ARMS remains to be seen (I think it will done fine), but Splatoon 2 is definitely going to annihilate Japan. It will probably be big everywhere else too.

Yeah Splatoon 2 will be a WW smash. It's true that it was a much bigger splash, relatively, in Japan, but it did sell 3 million or so total outside the country. That's an amazing number when you consider it is a new IP that released on an aggressively unpopular system. Splatoon 2 will do way better than that now that it's on a system people actually want.

Incredible... I'll admit, even I've been tempted, between the GAF communuty and the looming online fee. Ninty needs to get that Smash 4 port out, asap. Strike while the iron is hot!

jonno394

True, Canada was like 10% of the US market if I remember some GAFfers' comments correctly, and Latin America isn't that big for Nintendo either I believe, so it could very well fit within this framework.

The americas covers North and South America in its entirety though. 180k for the rest of two continents doesn't sound like a lot!

edit - Canada say 100k, then 80K for central america and south america?

cyba89

So how many Wii's were in the wild when MKWii launched and how many WiiUs were in the wild when MK8 launched?

I really wonder how well ARMS and Splatoon 2 will do? I think both could have launches as big.

Arms? No. I'm betting it sells moderately well for a new IP. (Too unknown, too narrow a type of game to garner a wide audience.)

Splatoon 2? No, but closer. And in some territories, maybe. For most places, it still doesn't have the same pull as Mario, and it isn't good to be a local mp game in the same way.

ggx2ac

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about what they shipped in April.

Remember in March they used NPD numbers for hardware and their internal data for software when they announced results for Switch and Zelda.

Gaspard

What kinda 1-2 Slay

giphy.gif

Thatanas

So how many Wii's were in the wild when MKWii launched and how many WiiUs were in the wild when MK8 launched?

About 25 million Wii's, way less Wii U's than that.

EDIT: Although that's WW, not sure for US numbers, but 1.5 years into Wii's life cycle, assume it was at least ~5-7.5 million.

From Wikipedia, I got more than 24 million worldwide as of March 2008, and then Mario Kart Wii launching April 2008.

There have never been that many Wii Us, though. It was around 6 million when Mario Kart 8 released.

Top Bottom