• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nobody here playing Age of Empires 2 DE on Xbox?

Freeza93

Banned
Im already addicted….again. Do you guys dont like RTS or what? AoE is one of Gamings cult classic and they fucking nailed the controls on a pad. I would have never thought that an RTS like this will come to console and actually working fine!

Crossplay is great too. To bad its not on Ps which is ironic since the original was on Ps2 this would be perfect for crossplay.

It also has settings from low to ultra i have never seen this on s console game so far.

AoE4 and Anno 1800 comes too on console. What a time to be alive. Anno rapes every Cpu on the Market.😬

EA did it well with Command and Conquer Red Alert 3 too. To bad it died fuck EA. Also the Pc 30 fps cap was insane….
Performance tanks in 4vs4 Ranked with hundreds of unit on screen but that is to be expected from a laptop cpu with 45 watts especially in an RTS. But it great nonetheless 70 hours in….yes i am that addicted. 😁

Weird nobody is talking bout one if the best rts games ever here. The Sprites look great in 4k HDR you would never guess its over 25 years old. The Remaster is exceptionally well made. Art just doesn’t age.

Content even Single Player is Hundreds if Hours of Campaign alone. New Coop Modes. New Tutorial for Pad Players. You can play with K and M too. And you can disable Crossplay ingame. Since Pc Gamers have 2 decades of advantage. Til you are Elo 1200+ but you will find games xbox only too easily. You learn from Pc folk tho.

If someone plays this Online too, hit me up. I play ranked only. Kicking some ass.🙂

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I have it downloaded. Looking forward to it but I'll have to have my secretary schedule it in for later months since MS first party will stay on GP.

Been rushing to finish Fire Emblem. Finishing it today. Then starting Wanted: Dead on Tuesday. There's a Splatfest going on this weekend I haven't even started. Atomic Heart and Wo Long right around the corner as well as Octopath 2. Also got Metroid Prime for some reason. Also a ton of older GP games to play before they leave. Life is a struggle.

Hurahn7

Banned
I know RTS on PCs were the shit back in the day. Do this current gen of gamers play RTS games? More importantly, do current console players give a damn about them?

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Great port IMO but didn't have the time to play it more than like 2 or 3 tutorial missions in William Wallace campaign.

paul ryan GIF

anthony2690

Banned
Nope, not because I don't want too.

But because I'm already mega busy with Hogwarts Legacy.

Then Wild Hearts & Atomic Heart later this month.

& I wouldn't mind playing SD Gundam too, but time is the issue & I know AOE2 makes time vanish, I played it back in the day.

Kilau

I've played thousands of hours since original release and continue to play it on PC. Console version is cool but I don't need to play there.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yes, dabbled into it a bit but getting into Hogwarts. The good thing about it being on game pass is that it'll be there afterward as well.

Full keyboard + mouse support for a console RTS is very very good.

FeralEcho

Arguably my favourite RTS ever.Played it as a kid for hundreds of hours.I'm extatic that It's on Xbox now,I just haven't had time to game lately,plus was busy with Dead Space but I definitely see myself pouring alot of hours into it once I get more time.

I will play Minecraft Legends as a replacement to this title.

I played AOE a lot back in the day. Not sure am up for it now. Too hardcore.

splattered

I never got into RTS stuff for the most part but i've had family i watched play and they loved it... just not for me. Glad you're enjoying it, it does look really good! Maybe since the controls are good on a pad i will give it a shot somehow soon :)

acm2000

It's Xbox exclusive so won't get much attention round here and also a fairly niche genre on consoles too.

Played the first tutorial mission and will probably go back at a later date when I've got nothing else on game pass to play.

Robbinhood

Banned
I played it a ton on PC, it's pretty good but not up to Starcraft 2 imo. Different game though.

I would never play an RTS on console, disgusting. Same goes for Anna and stuff like Cities.

Freeza93

Banned
I know RTS on PCs were the shit back in the day. Do this current gen of gamers play RTS games? More importantly, do current console players give a damn about them?
Absolutely. Age is huge. Gamepass too. Even without crossplay absolutely no issues to find games. Custum is with crossplay better. Stil Sp content or Coop. Plenty there. Hundreds of maps . Even mods but they are broken so far.

Freeza93

Banned
I played it a ton on PC, it's pretty good but not up to Starcraft 2 imo. Different game though.

I would never play an RTS on console, disgusting. Same goes for Anna and stuff like Cities.
It works just fine especially when i beat you with the pad. Im up for it

flying_sq

I think the last time I played multiplayer RTS was in the 90s. I used to play the weird scenarios people used to come up with in AOE2 and StarCraft. I never liked actually playing the real game against people. From what I see in replay videos it doesn't seem very fun. It is weird, because RTS is my favorite genre and I have played almost every major RTs since AOE 2, but never online.

Freeza93

Banned
Is it timed exclusive or have Sony got no interest? Xbox have been courting the PC style games a lot better this gen I’ve noticed I’m sure Ark 2 is also time exclusive.
I have no clue. I also dont really am informed about such things.

funny age 2 was on ps2.

Havoc2049

Played it just for like an hour. Finishing up Grounded with a friend and I still need to finish Hi-Fi. Then Halo Infinite dropped the Forge matchmaking which has kept me occupied. Then it's on to AOE2DE.

Roberts

Just wanted to 1000/1000 Crossfire X before it is gone forever, but now that I have done that I will probably move on to this. I might have played the first one back in the day, but I can't seem to remember much, so basically this is going to be my first time with AoE and I'm kind of excited.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Your post inspired me to give it a shot. Its pretty fun. Works well on a controller. Im not good at this genre at all but its fun when the tutorials spell it out for you. Definitely sticking with the Wallace campaign.

Freeza93

Banned
Just for knowledge the first ten ranked matches you will meet pros to newbs. After ten matches you start with 1000 elo. So you get only in matches with this bracket of people.

Freeza93

Banned
Its one of my favourites games in general. endless replay ability. community is nice too. even on reddit. but most long time age of empire gamers are well over 30 so because of that i guess. :)

Freeza93

Banned
My favorite game on Xbox right now, Honestly. I love doing Skirmish matches (That go on for hours!)
I had a 6 hour match in 4vs4

a popular age streamer had a fucking 92 hour game 1vs1 and the legend went on a date while the enemy was sleeping😂.

Since ressources are not endless on a map they got stuck somewhat. but it was high lvl play its insane the micro managing they can do

LordOfChaos

Playing it. Seems like a very decent remap to consoles.

I want more new RTS's damn it! particularly sci fi type, or Age of Mythology 2! I hope that comes about now that AoE saw a revisit

Freeza93

Banned
I had a 6 hour match in 4vs4

a popular age streamer had a fucking 92 hour game 1vs1 and the legend went on a date while the enemy was sleeping😂.

Since ressources are not endless on a map they got stuck somewhat. but it was high lvl play its insane the micro managing they can do

im not kidding lol

Freeza93

Banned
Playing it. Seems like a very decent remap to consoles.

I want more new RTS's damn it! particularly sci fi type, or Age of Mythology 2! I hope that comes about now that AoE saw a revisit
Mythology is awesome too it gets a DE version so maybe it will come to console too. But Age of Empires 4 is next.

DaGwaphics

OP, when do you get to switch to Keyboard and Mouse? The opening tutorial seemed to force the controller even though the game was picking up the Mouse and Keyboard (I started the game using them and could move the cursor with the mouse during the initial loading screen).

Top Bottom