• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nolan North on UC4- 8mths of Hennig's story/performance work was thrown away

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Neil directs the performance capture.

and NN played a fairly big character in TLOU, it's safe to say they are probably well acquainted.

Have we known about the Star Wars reboot in the style of Uncharted before? That's too much info.

All we really knew was that it was a SW action game. Most of us assumed it would be UC-like but this is the first time anyone has come out and said it IIRC

Assassin's Creed's original concept was Desmond to become the "ultimate assassin" by learning all the skills from his ancestors over a series of ~6 games. Nolan added he hated what Desmond had become by the end of ACIII.

That always seemed like the obvious conclusion, but they just turned Desmond into an idiot and I'd wager hardly anyone cared when
he died

Have we known about the Star Wars reboot in the style of Uncharted before? That's too much info.

Not sure if we had someone actually confirm that, but it was obviously why EA hired Hennig. Every publisher wants their own Uncharted.

This. Uncharted 3 premise was good, and the story was good as well from the very beginning... until the midgame, i can see how they'd pulled something similar for uncharted 4 and the original team couldn't dig it

I wonder if they were starting production on The Last of Us 2 when Amy got canned and Neil and Bruce had to step in and take over.

stryke

The hell are you on about?

Cool. Didn't know that. Strange that Nolan wouldn't refer to them by name then.

Sorry, your speculation that the director wouldn't attend mocap session was laughable. Some of you are reading way too much into Straley and Druckmann not being referred to by name.

ZeroX03

Banned

Everyone just sort of assumed it would be. Going from an Indiana Jones to a Han Solo is about as natural of a transition as you can get.

Sorry, your speculation that the director wouldn't attend mocap session was laughable. Some of you are reading way too much into Straley and Druckmann not being referred to by name.

Holy shit you're an asshole. That's why I said I wasn't sure. Instead of just correcting me you responded with snark. Get a grip mate.

ciddative

i feel that even for an uncharted game, this one is going to have some real tone problems.

In what way? Too light and inconsequential? The E3 2014 trailer showed that it won't be all fun and quips, seems like there may be real consequences and possibly tragedy.

Yeah, I don't think this was darker under Hennig.

Why's that? The inital teaser had a definitely darker tone than anything Uncharted has done before and darker than anything we've seen since she left. The idea that TLOU was dark so Draley aren't capable of any other tone is preposterous. Uncharted 2 was a great balance

Imo, The Last of Us is far superior to all three Uncharted games story-wise so I have no problem at all for Neil and Bruce to take over and re-write the scripts.

spekkeh

Banned
We had shot 8 months of her story and it was all thrown away. They got rid of some of the other people that were involved and just redid their thing. Great move they made with Troy Baker

k-bigpic.png

Well Troy... We really are the last of uncharted.

Well I'm glad Nolan called Ubi out on their crappy handling of Desmond.

I was waiting for him to reach his master assassin story arc and finish off the templars
in present day but Ubi clearly just saw further milking to be had and gutted the story.

Anyway, I'm not surprised Druckley had to toss away part of Amy''s story.

I'm sure it's all been done to provide us with a better experience. I have basically unlimited faith in those two after UC2 and TLoU.

Uncharted 3 was sort of a disaster story-wise (and dat broken aiming!) so I do wonder what was going "wrong" with U4 to require such a drastic change to development and of course staff.

If it was turning out like Uncharted 3's story, that was probably for the best in all honesty.

If TLOU had encountered the same issues as Uncharted 3 (rushed development because they announced the release date too early and one of the main supporting characters having to be written out halfway through development), it probably would've been a "disaster" as well.

I'm guessing the current Uncharted script is 90% Amy's but with Bruce and Neil rewriting some parts. Surely they haven't just scrapped all the work that'd been done on it before she left.

The Assassin's Creed comments are so true. The modern day storyline seemed kinda lame at first but they really got me intrigued with it in AC2 and Brotherhood continued that right up until the end, when they came up with a shitty twist and it all went to hell after that. Ubisoft really ruined that franchise. They should've just given Patrice free reign to realise his vision for the series.

Imo, The Last of Us is far superior to all three Uncharted games story-wise so I have no problem at all for Neil and Bruce to take over and re-write the scripts.

Two completely different tones though. Uncharted series embodies the summer blockbuster action flick. I hope it keeps the lighter tone.

Sounds kind of like a mess honestly.

Throwing away 8 month of work? Lol. They're Naughty Dog and they will probably bounce back and make a damn good game, but I wonder if the story will take a hit.

That E3 demo shows me they haven't missed a mark, but it is what is. Just a demo.

Why would the story take a hit if Druckmann is writing it from scratch?
Of course we'll never be able to compare both because Hennig's will never see the light of day, but it's not like they're stitching together pieces from 2 different stories, like North said, they threw it all away.
And going by what Druckmann did with TLOU I'd say it's in very good hands.

Alienous

I want to hear the full story to this.

Why would the story take a hit if Druckmann is writing it from scratch?
Of course we'll never be able to compare both because Hennig's will never see the light of day, but it's not like they're stitching together pieces from 2 different stories, like North said, they threw it all away.
And going by what Druckmann did with TLOU I'd say it's in very good hands.

He isn't writing it from scratch. For instance, the character of Drake's brother appears in both versions. It seems more like they are doing a 'remake' of what the original would have been; following a lot of the same story beats but rejigging it in places and to suit the tone the new director wants.

Edit:
Also, Nolan says that it's "going to be along the lines of the same story", so it isn't being written from scratch by Druckmann.

eFKac

Well thank god honestly, it sucks that the game got delayed in the process but it would be even worse if Druckley tried to fill in not their own story and vision for the game. I'm at peace now.

Still interested what was the reason Sony fired Hennig.

If TLOU had encountered the same issues as Uncharted 3 (rushed development because they announced the release date too early and one of the main supporting characters having to be written out halfway through development), it probably would've been a "disaster" as well.

I'm guessing the current Uncharted script is 90% Amy's but with Bruce and Neil rewriting some parts. Surely they haven't just scrapped all the work that'd been done on it before she left.

The Assassin's Creed comments are so true. The modern day storyline seemed kinda lame at first but they really got me intrigued with it in AC2 and Brotherhood continued that right up until the end, when they came up with a shitty twist and it all went to hell after that. Ubisoft really ruined that franchise. They should've just given Patrice free reign to realise his vision for the series.

NN just said they scrapped all of her work, eight months in total.

I doubt people as inclined as Neil and Bruce in making an amazing game are going to combine two scripts and piggy back on someone else's. This explains the delay.

He isn't writing it from scratch. For instance, the character of Drake's brother appears in both versions. It seems more like they are doing a 'remake' of what the original would have been; following a lot of the same story beats but rejigging it in places and to suit the tone the new director wants.

Edit:
Also, Nolan says that it's "going to be along the lines of the same story", so it isn't being written from scratch by Druckmann.

Well, saying something is "along the lines of the same story" really doesn't mean it's the same script. It may be the same overall idea or concept, Drake's final adventure, but who Sam was, who could possibly die, locations and motives can all change with a new writer and director.

Alienous

I doubt people as inclined as Neil and Bruce in making an amazing game are going to combine two scripts and piggy back on someone else's. This explains the delay.

They scrapped all of the motion capture. They recast characters, probably decided to express particular plot moments in different ways.

But, as Nolan North says, "it's going to be along the lines of the same story", so no, it appears they are "piggy backing" on the previous script.

I don't think they necessarily threw away levels and such that the team had been working on, seems more like Druckmann wanted an overhaul of the performances

Considering the gulf in quality between the performances and story of Uncharted 3 and TLOU this can only be good

Two completely different tones though. Uncharted series embodies the summer blockbuster action flick. I hope it keeps the lighter tone.

I don't really care about tone, though. Good story is good story. All I know is these 2 create the best story-telling I've ever experienced from a video game. They can turn Nathan Drake into a murdorous psychopath or a peace-love hippie or whatever the heck they want but in the end I'm sure Uncharted 4's story will be amazing.

CHC

If you're a big fan of Amy Hennig with her styles of stories, the big thing bout her is that she's gone to EA and is going to reboot a brand new Star Wars franchise in the style of Uncharted and I happen to know a lot about it and it's gonna be awesome

Uhhhh this is the real news right here!!! Bounty Hunter...? Jedi Knight.....?!?!

Read it properly, he said they scrapped all the performance work, not the entire game. As Alienous pointed out, NN also said that the story was going to be along the same lines and we can see that in what little we know of the story.

As far as I'm aware, Naughty Dog are very efficient in developing their games (eg, reusing the horse from Uncharted 3 in TLOU), so there's no reason whatsoever to believe they suddenly just threw out all the code, art assets, etc. they'd already created for the game. They'll take what was there and rework it into the game they want.

Have people not seen the two gameplay demos?

Uncharted is still light hearted with the understanding it's not in a "real" universe like The Last of Us.

If they were going with a darker tone you most likely would have seen it in some gameplay elements with blood or more gruesome takedowns, but all I've seen is some punching and quick choke outs with little to no blood on people.

I mean, people could die from the main cast, but death is a common thing in stories like this. Then again if they do have the balls to kill off a main character (who doesn't betray Drake) I bet people will go and say "See, they wanted to be darker in tone and don't understand Uncharted!".

Zocano

Meh, I would like the game in its ultimate form be like the teaser trailer but the recast seems to strongly hint otherwise. I liked uncharted 3 a lot but it definitely felt incredibly rushed and I assume it was chopped to hell during development. Hopefully we'll see some more great work from Amy Hennig soon.

Edit:

The fact that he decided to roll with the brother idea doesn't mean anything. For all we know it's an entirely new script. Since all the mo-cap was thrown away there was no reason for him to re-use stuff from another writer since it has to be re-recorded anyway.
I'm sure that given the option he'd rather write his own, why wouldn't he considering they have to shoot everything from the begining anyway?

Uhhhh this is the real news right here!!! Bounty Hunter...? Jedi Knight.....?!?!

We've known she was working on Star Wars tho? Or at least she said that's part of the reason she doesn't want to talk about why she left ND. Obvs some NDA type stuff but she said she's working on her favorite IP so...basically if she's ina good place why not let sleeping dogs lie just so some journo/rich johnston could get clicks?

Read it properly, he said they scrapped all the performance work, not the entire game. As Alienous pointed out, NN also said that the story was going to be along the same lines and we can see that in what little we know of the story.

As far as I'm aware, Naughty Dog are very efficient in developing their games (eg, reusing the horse from Uncharted 3 in TLOU), so there's no reason whatsoever to believe they suddenly just threw out all the code, art assets, etc. they'd already created for the game. They'll take what was there and rework it into the game they want.

Maybe you should read properly too?

I didn't say they scrapped the game, I said they scrapped her work, the script, which is probably why they are redoing all the performance capture.

The engine that the game is running on has been worked on for like three/four years, you've seen how fast they can crank out levels. Two months from geometry to what we saw at E3 (obviously textures and some artwork can be used across multiple levels, but my points still stands)

I'm not saying the whole game was scrapped, they can obviously still use previously made areas, but you can obviously change the context of the locations and the reason why someone is there, or you can keep the location the same but simply change what the people say and do, IE the script.

I mean, it's NN who said they scrapped all of her story, not me!

We had shot 8 months of her story and it was all thrown away. The Last of Us guys came in, and you have to understand, new producers, new people, they want to do it.

Drencrom

As a joke, Naughty Dog replaced Chloe with Lazaravic in the hotel bedroom scene with Drake in Uncharted 2, including voice acting from McTavish. It was going to be included as a bonus on disc but Sony said no.

If anyone at Naughty Dog reads this: PLEASE leak this or something, I want to see this bad lol

Maybe an extra for the Uncharted Collection on PS4... huh?

MrS

Banned
I believe in druckmann.

After TLoU, I want more like this
It always strikes me that, of the pair, Straley is the one who deserves the lion's share of the credit. He designs the game, manages the team, chooses and tweaks the mechanics and is generally responsible for how it plays, while Druckmann is out directing mocap sessions. That's what I got from the 'GROUNDED: Making Of TLOU' DVD, anyway.

EDIT: I have no idea about game development so am likely wrong with how the work is split

Both are great.
Edited to elaborate a bit on why I feel that way.

Walpurgis

Banned
Cool. Didn't know that. Strange that Nolan wouldn't refer to them by name then.
Maybe he meant more than Druckmann and Straley. He could have meant The Last of Us team. This would suggest that they were doing preproduction on something else before being put on Uncharted 4 (which makes sense because they were obviously doing SOMETHING after Left Behind). It sounds like Naughty Dog management didn't like the direction the game was headed in and took them off the other project to put them on Uncharted 4. I don't think there was a fight between Druckmann/Straley and Hennig. I think that management felt that they were better for the job which probably offended her. This is all speculation, obviously.

stryke

We've known she was working on Star Wars tho? Or at least she said that's part of the reason she doesn't want to talk about why she left ND. Obvs some NDA type stuff but she said she's working on her favorite IP so...basically if she's ina good place why not let sleeping dogs lie just so some journo/rich johnston could get clicks?

Yeah, we've known she's been working on a Star Wars game as it was announced when she joined Visceral. A lot people would have also correctly guessed that it would be "Uncharted style" but this is probably the first confirmation.

Alienous

The fact that he decided to roll with the brother idea doesn't mean anything. For all we know it's an entirely new script. Since all the mo-cap was thrown away there was no reason for him to re-use stuff from another writer since it has to be re-recorded anyway.
I'm sure that given the option he'd rather write his own, why wouldn't he considering they have to shoot everything from the begining anyway?

There's a lot of cost involved in that. Things like assets already created, location research, etc. Plus it's very likely that Amy Hening's script wasn't shit.

If they decided to roll with the brother idea it means a lot. It means that the original script had elements that they liked, but wanted to do in their own way (casting Todd vs Roy, for instance).

So I don't think saying that it's an "entirely new script" has anything backing it up. The original vision took place, at least partially, in Madagascar. The most recent version does also. The original vision had Drake's brother as part of the story. The most recent version, again, also does.

Dremark

Banned
I am surprised he had the stones to discuss this stuff. Honestly, I'm sure her work was good but I think it's better for the creative staff to work on thier own project, rather than try to follow the previous person's vision. Hopefully it turns out well, ND seems to have a lot of talented people so I'm not really worried about the end result.

The Star Wars Uncharted thing sounds like a good fit, I don't care about SW so I prolly won't go for it but I bet people will love how it turns out.

I only played AC1 but I figured the last game would have Desmond as the main character of his own story. It sounds like it's probably better they didn't though.

Top Bottom