• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nolan North on UC4- 8mths of Hennig's story/performance work was thrown away

Yudoken

I can keep listening to Nolan for hours.
That's one interesting panel he gave, I'm not finished with it yet but it'r really cool how much in depth he's talking about development of the games and other stuff.

Corto

Strong disconnect between the reactions of Kojima's firing and Amy's firing from here.

As expected by any reasonable people as those two are completely disconnected situations.

But I need to add that even if we don't know exactly what went wrong I was rather sad that Hennig exited ND. I wanted to play another Hennig directed Uncharted.

Alo0oy

Banned
Well, under Richmond, Naughty Dog introduced the new melee system in UC3 & later TLOU. UC4 also looks to be using a more advanced version of that melee system.

Most of UC3's problems are due to the rush job.

stryke

I can keep listening to Nolan for hours.
That's one interesting panel he gave, I'm not finished with it yet but it'r really cool how much in depth he's talking about development of the games and other stuff.

He is an awesome story teller. He'd be a great guy to sit down and have a beer with.

Alienous

Well, under Richmond, Naughty Dog introduced the new melee system in UC3 & later TLOU. UC4 also looks to be using a more advanced version of that melee system.

Most of UC3's problems are due to the rush job.

Pretty much.

I doubt Druckmann could manage a The Last of Us sequel that wouldn't disappoint if it was released now (which would be 2 years after TLOU came out).

And I hope that Hennig's performance on a rush job didn't influence the studio lead's choosing to give the project to Druckmann and Straley over the previous team. Separating a developer from a series to which they clearly have a lot of attachment sucks.

stryke

lol it's quite amusing seeing this story blow up around the internet overnight. I didn't get to watch the whole video but wow, he kinda just slips out The Last of Us 2 at the end.

This also reminds me of the fact that western publishers don't put the game designers front and center of the product like with Japanese directors. I guess they don't want a series' image to be associated with an individual who may not be there for the future.

I really do wish Hennig was still on Uncharted 4.

To me it seems like shifting leadership was a response to the reception of Uncharted 3 versus the reception of The Last of Us. But I think the flaws of Uncharted 3's story were only a rewrite or two from being eliminated, and the truncated development time (two years after the end of Uncharted 2) could have contributed to getting going on Uncharted 3, perhaps before everything was baked.

For instance, if Druckmann had to write a The Last of Us 2 that would have released this month (TLOU came out 2 years ago) I'd expect that it wouldn't be as satisfying as TLOU 1, and if he had his 'baby' series wrestled away from him because of that (like many speculate happened with Hennig) I'd think that was unfair, given that TLOU (and by extension, Uncharted 2) were so good.

I really do look forward to Hennig's Star Wars project.

Uncharted 3 had just as much dev time as UC2. Maybe it needed more but it wjas hardly rushed

lol it's quite amusing seeing this story blow up around the internet overnight. I didn't get to watch the whole video but wow, he kinda just slips out The Last of Us 2 at the end.

Not really a surprise. Every one knows a sequel is coming(hopefully with Ellie as lead). Is TLOU2 want the smaller team is working on now or is something further down the line>

Alo0oy

Banned
Uncharted 3 had just as much dev time as UC2. Maybe it needed more but it wjas hardly rushed

Just because both games had the same dev time doesn't mean that both had the required amount of time. That's like saying AC: Unity wasn't rushed because it had a longer dev time than Black Flag.

Naughty Dog already said that the game was rushed, this isn't speculation.

certain people don't want to acknowledge her importance for some fucked reason

She had had a great role to play at ND, just not as great as that which Koijma had assumed at Konami. Kojima was in charge of literally every detail of the MGS saga; Amy was acting as a creative director...

Zocano

She had had a great role to play at ND, just not as great as that which Koijma had assumed at Konami. Kojima was in charge of literally every detail of the MGS saga; Amy was acting as a creative director...

It's more that people are assuming Druckmann had a Kojima like role and going all cult of personality on him because of one game (people here seem to love to obsess with one person in a huge team effort). Then they turn around and don't give Hennig the same respect.

Loakum

Banned
It was so painfully obvious from the very first game that this is where they were going with the story - leading up to a final modern day showdown with Desmond utilizing everything he'd learned through the Animus over the course of the series.
Then they just HAD to contort the hell out of the plot to dilute it, make it infinitely stretchable and aimless so they could milk as many settings and as much money out of the brand name as possible.

I've never seen a promising concept and a fairly intriguing character amount to absolutely nothing like what happened with Desmond and Assassin's Creed.

Don't even get me started on what they did to Lucy, either - writing her out of the plot simultaneously casually, callously and dramatically, then giving you all the actual backstory and motivations as DLC to a game that she wasn't even in.

Now Assassin's Creed has spent multiple games just cleaning up its own mess and trying to course correct a sinking ship that they'd shot full of holes themselves.

So much TRUTH in this post! I fully expressed a very similar comment on Assassin's Creed's Syndicate suggestion questionnaire on their website. They fucked up, and they know it! They should had never fired their original writer!

jackdoe

I hope the making off documentary goes in-depth with regards to what Hennig's original vision was. Past video game documentaries haven't shied away from developmental issues (the God of War 3 Documentary included segments of Barlog's abrupt exit and its effect on the team and the Halo 2 documentary chronicled its developmental issues after the E3 demo pretty extensively) so we might get lucky this time.

It's more that people are assuming Druckmann had a Kojima like role and going all cult of personality on him because of one game (people here seem to love to obsess with one person in a huge team effort). Then they turn around and don't give Hennig the same respect.

Druckman has the same role Amy had. He is no Kojima either, as he has to share the accolades wth Bruce Straley (Game Director) for having helmed the project.
Kojima has always covered both aspects. He wrote AND directed his games...

Zocano

Druckman has the same role Amy had. He is no Kojima either, as he has to share the accolades wth Bruce Straley (Game Director) for having helmed the project.
Kojima has always covered both aspects. He wrote AND directed his games...

Yea, I agree with you, wasn't against your point, just stating why people are giving Druckmann such a status.

Game4life

Banned
Yea, I agree with you, wasn't against your point, just stating why people are giving Druckmann such a status.

Actually people are giving both Druckmann and Bruce Straley the status and that is fine. They are a fantastic combo. No one can be as involved as Kojima though. Dude is a legend!

Loakum

Banned

*raises hand* because Neil Druckman and Bruce Straley earned their status by making two of the best games ever! The Last of Us and Uncharted 2.

Sai

Man, that mention of Assassin's Creed/Desmond has got me feeling kinda sour. What could've been... :(

Still, it feels like they still tried to deliver on the Desmond becoming a beast thing, with his assault on the Abstergo building. It just really fell short.

sjay1994

Strong disconnect between the reactions of Kojima's firing and Amy's firing from here.

Well the difference is that how integral Kojima is to Metal Gear, because he is responsible for narrative and game design. Without Kojima, there is no metal gear. The original Rising was canceled because the team just couldn't do it.

Where as Amy is mostly story, and Druckmann and Straley are a good replacement for her because of their work on TLOU and the fact that Neil co wrote Uncharted 2 with Amy and Bruce was the game director for U2, which many people consider to be the best game in the series.

antitrop

This thread is the first time since 2007 that I've ever gotten a sense people actually liked the Desmond subplot of Assassin's Creed. Weird.

sjay1994

So much TRUTH in this post! I fully expressed a very similar comment on Assassin's Creed's Syndicate suggestion questionnaire on their website. They fucked up, and they know it! They should had never fired their original writer!

But they never did. Corey May wrote AC 1 2 and 3.

Darby McDevit wrote Revelations and Black Flag.

He is supervising the story of Syndicate. My only concern is that the actual writting is being done by Jeffery Yohalem who did ACB, Far Cry 3 and Child of Light.

EDIT: Turns out he also supervised Brotherhood, revelations and black flag. The only game he never touched was Unity.

This thread is the first time since 2007 that I've ever gotten a sense people actually liked the Desmond subplot of Assassin's Creed. Weird.

I think the initial reception to it considering how the first games advertising never mentioned a modern day segment, asides from those Animus cutting effects used in the trailers is what caused the inital negative response. But a lot of people were legitamately interested in the modern day plot. I know I was, but post Brotherhood, its gone to shit. Also the most hardcore fans are losing interest because the modern day aspect is becoming more and more minute and there interest in the games are waning as the modern day segments recduce.

I'm confident Straley/Druckmann will make a better game than the people they replaced...and that is all that matters to me.

We have seen nothing to indicate ND did anything wrong regarding Hennig.

Loakum

Banned
But they never did. Corey May wrote AC 1 2 and 3.

Darby McDevit wrote Revelations and Black Flag.

He is supervising the story of Syndicate. My only concern is that the actual writting is being done by Jeffery Yohalem who did ACB, Far Cry 3 and Child of Light.

EDIT: Turns out he also supervised Brotherhood, revelations and black flag. The only game he never touched was Unity.

I think the initial reception to it considering how the first games advertising never mentioned a modern day segment, asides from those Animus cutting effects used in the trailers is what caused the inital negative response. But a lot of people were legitamately interested in the modern day plot. I know I was, but post Brotherhood, its gone to shit. Also the most hardcore fans are losing interest because the modern day aspect is becoming more and more minute and there interest in the games are waning as the modern day segments recduce.

You're right, I should had said creative director. Assassin's Creed was never the same after Patrice left. http://community.us.playstation.com...es-Assassin-s-Creed-and-Ubisoft/td-p/19700964

Futurematic

Oh there's bad blood, all right. Friendships were destroyed.
She was their mentor and shit most definitely went down. Long-term friendships were completely ruined.
Since you either work there or know someone that does, are you going to tell us what happened so we can stop speculating? Frankly I'd rather just know the truth, no matter how it reflects on the people involved.

(The whole situation clearly blows, however it went down, but Amy Henning doing a Star Wars game is pretty awesome. Much less awesome is The Last of Us 2 seemingly next up, all I want is Savage Starlight(-ish, Naughty Dogs in space) but new IP is now, what? 5 years away if they do TLoU 2?)
This also reminds me of the fact that western publishers don't put the game designers front and center of the product like with Japanese directors. I guess they don't want a series' image to be associated with an individual who may not be there for the future.
They used to, back when Electronic Arts was run by Trip Hawkins and modeled themselves after a Hollywood studio and Activision was created because Atari refused credits (among other things). The whole PC game space did, Sid Meier's Blank is a relic of those days.

Mifune

Mehmber
Since you either work there or know someone that does, are you going to tell us what happened so we can stop speculating? Frankly I'd rather just know the truth, no matter how it reflects on the people involved.

All I know is the split was brutal and about as far from amicable as splits can get. Which isn't exactly news. Sorry.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
WOOT reboot of a star wars franchise in the vein of Uncharted!

It has to be Jedi Knight 3 right guys!

Jedi_Outcast_pc_cover.jpg

A reboot of this game in uncharted like styling?

In my veins!

Stop, you are giving me so much hope for this. That would be so good!

I don't think it's been like that for years, the narrative started when Amy left ND, people got defensive & started giving credit to other people. Unfortunately because of GAF's popularity that narrative spread all over the internet to the point where even "professional" journalists downplay her role & call Druckmann & Straley as the "creative forces" behind Uncharted 2.

I predict that in future interviews, those same journalists will refer to Druckmann and Straley as the creative forces of the Uncharted franchise.

Doesn't mean anything?! Sam was meant to be a major element in the original script, so his appearance as a major element in the new one means that the scripts are similar, at least in that regard.

Why wouldn't he write his own script from scratch? Because:
a) They'd likely already spent a lot of time and money working on the previous vision and as far as I'm aware, Naughty Dog aren't ones to just throw that kind of work away.
b) Writing a new script from scratch would take a lot of time, time that he probably didn't have given that the game was already in full production by that point.

Read. He's talking about the performance capture.
Do you have anything to back up your claim on A? Because that sounds like complete conjecture.

And regarding B, So you're saying rewriting a script would likely cause a delay? Well what do ya know...

Activision prematurely cut funding to the Deadpool game. Apparently the final product was only 60% of what High Moon Studios wanted to achieve.

Wow now i wonder how the game would have been if they didn't rush it.

jonnyp

yup.

Uncharted was her series and everyone involved adores her and constantly speaks highly of her as a director.

Greg Edmonson leaving should've signaled that

Greg left because of Amy? What a gigantic loss for UC4.

I love Greg's UC music. I cannot stand anything I've heard from Jackman, freaking terrible generic and bland crap compared to Greg's UC output.

That's my only current worry for UC4.

Greg left because of Amy? What a gigantic loss for UC4.

I love Greg's UC music. I cannot stand anything I've heard from Jackman, freaking terrible generic and bland crap compared to Greg's UC output.

That's my only current worry for UC4.
I don't think this is accurate. I'm pretty sure he was replaced. Wasn't there a tweet by 1886's composer complaining that game developers look to film so much when he was replaced?

Top Bottom