• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nolan North says Naughty Dog is making a sequel to 8+ mil selling game The Last of Us

Servbot24

Banned
For the record, TLOU2 has never been officially confirmed, but it has been acknowledged that they're considering ideas for it.

jb1234

A prequel would be interesting, maybe exploring the world just as the infection hits (a larger, longer version of TLOU's prologue, basically). It'll probably be a sequel with older Ellie, though (which would also be cool).

What are they gonna do, replace him?

Obviously not, but after the comments about "The Last of Us guys" and how close he seems to Amy...

I don't know, I'm just spitballing, but it doesn't seem normal to be saying stuff like this to people, especially when you're a just a VO.

It's kinda irresponsible, and I'm really starting to question how he feels about ND now after Amy got dumped.

Game4life

Banned
I am cool with it as long as Joel and Ellie dont return. Their story was pretty much perfect. New characters are okay with me.

Last game I want of sequel of.
you guys are really starting to get annoying.

By all means, TLOU sequel has the potential to be better than the first. It's still ND, if they felt they didn't have an interesting story to tell, they are one of the few studios that can likely tell Sony No. So if they are enthused and excited about continuing the story, who are we to say what's "perfect" and what's not.

Like seriously, just SCHTAPIT!

Servbot24

Banned
Obviously not, but after the comments about "The Last of Us guys" and how close he seems to Amy...

I don't know, I'm just spitballing, but it doesn't seem normal to be saying stuff like this to people, especially when you're a just a VO.

It's kinda irresponsible, and I'm really starting to question how he feels about ND now after Amy got dumped.

Probably best not to spin baseless speculations about studio controversy. Just let it be.

A large part of what makes TLOU special for me is that it has a self-contained story. That's what makes it art.

Take that away and it becomes another franchise with an inferior sequel.

Gray Matter

I don't know, I'm just spitballing, but it doesn't seem normal to be saying stuff like this to people, especially when you're a VO.

I don't think his relationship with ND has been strained due to the Hennig debacle. He's been around the industry (and acting in general) long enough realize that, like anything else, this is business, and when management and employees clash, nothing good comes of it.

Of course I'm assuming Hennig and management didn't see eye to eye, but I personally think that Nolan understand that it was done with reason.

Corpsepyre

Banned
We knew ND split up into two teams after UC2, but is it the same case right now, you think? After Amy left and Neil came in, could it be that they're back as one team till UC4 ships? Don't see how they can be working as two teams considering UC4 would be taking up everyone's time there and getting ready for launch in 2016.

Hoje0308

Banned

What is going on with Nolan and Naughty Dog?!

Maybe he didn't know he was being filmed or maybe they don't have anymore projects for him and he feels like he's been dumped. It's all speculation, but if he was so opposed to the decision to fire Amy he could have walked and put Druckley to the task of making Uncharted without him.

Edit: Missed the part where he was told a video was being filmed and would be uploaded.

Mrbob

The most successful single game in Naughty Dog history, of course we are getting a sequel.

Even if we take the extreme cynical route of the second game being awful, there is still the first game to play. Though with Naughty Dog at the helm I don't know what there is to worry about.

I love the question in the title. Even though he states the game in development I think we might need a poll to confirm.

Gray Matter

What is going on with Nolan and Naughty Dog?!

Maybe he didn't know he was being filmed or maybe they don't have anymore projects for him and he feels like he's been dumped. If he was so opposed to the decision to fire Amy he could have walked. Try making Uncharted without him.

At the beginning of the video the guy recording says that he's gonna uploaded to his YouTube channel, he knew he was being recorded.

Probably best not to spin baseless speculations about studio controversy. Just let it be.

Hey, he's the one letting the cats out of the bag.

I'm not deformating anyones character, I'm asking why a professional thought it was a good idea to out one of the largest new IP's sequel in a Q&A session that was being taped.

W1SSY

I loved the first one and just keep going back and forth on if I want another or not. I don't think they can make another game without the characters because that is what made the game. Nothing about the world really sticks out to me, the relationship of Joel and Ellie was everything. I am sure ND can knick it out of the park with another game but I just don't think they can match the impact of the first game.

The Last of Us 2 is for sure coming and it will be gigantic in sales opening month. Huge.

Question is, what will the title be? TLOU2 just sounds bad

Mononoke

Banned
I know it's not shocking. Like especially if you know how any industry works. Was still hoping they would shy away from it. TLOU was IMO a perfect narrative.

I kind of hope the sequel isn't about Ellie or Joel, and just takes place in the world of TLOU.

Hoje0308

Banned
At the beginning of the video the guy recording says that he's gonna uploaded to his YouTube channel, he knew he was being recorded.

Oh, I missed that. I wonder if he realizes he's out of a job and doesn't give a damn. It's such a poorly kept secret that it could be absolutely nothing though.

Jobbs

Banned
I know it's not shocking. Like especially if you know how any industry works. Was still hoping they would shy away from it. TLOU was IMO a perfect narrative.

I kind of hope the sequel isn't about Ellie or Joel, and just takes place in the world of TLOU.

Good chance of it being about Ellie. Joel probably not.

If it's not about Ellie at least in part, I'll be genuinely shocked. I'd bet money on Ellie being in it.

hamchan

The game selling over 8 million copies and being one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time was all the confirmation you need that a sequel is coming.

This is one of those games that i dont think needed a sequel as not every needs one personally i want another new big IP from naughty dog after Uncharted 4

Courage

I'm not surprised but I'd have preferred if they left it at the first game.

I'll still play the sequel, as long as they bring in completely new characters.

Mononoke

Banned
Good chance of it being about Ellie. Joel probably not.

If it's not about Ellie at least in part, I'll be genuinely shocked. I'd bet money on Ellie being in it.

I mean, I guess I'm okay with that. Time can pass.

I just wish they wouldn't do a sequel at all. You are right that it would be shocking, only in the sense that, it would be bad business to have a sequel with like NO ONE returning. But if anyone could pull that off, it would be Naughty Dog.

I'm sure any new characters they introduced, they would make you care about them and whatever story the game is about.

My issue honestly, is that...if this game does bring back Joel and Ellie...is this another trilogy? Where does it stop? Maybe it is just a two part series, and they end it after this next one. But I have to think if they are seriously opening the door to a full blown sequel of returning characters coming back, then it makes me think they would have to open up the doors to it having a narrative that goes beyond the scope of just a sequel.

And that is kind of bleh to me. I just feel the narrative in TLOU was just so spot on. It was so realized, and perfect in its execution. It's what made the game feel more like a movie than most games IMO.
The ending scene just really closed out everything for me. And it bums me to think they are going to open that up again, and expand it with full plot.

Apart of the ending working for me, is kind of the implications of Joel's actions to Ellie, and how that makes Ellie feel. But also how she accepts them. It's a very emotional ending, even if it's not a very action heavy final scene. And apart of its power, is kind of how it hangs. Them opening up the plot, and showing us how Ellie deals with what he did. I dunno. Bleh. I guess it's actually ripe for emotional storytelling.

And hell, I have no doubt the sequel would be amazing. I guess it's just one of those things that, really, people like myself, should have just accepted after it was so successful. A sequel was a no brainer.

Fret

A sequel wouldn't ruin the first games story even if they continued with the same characters

Yes the ending of TLOU was perfect, but it doesn't mean they can't continue it well, I trust them to make a worthy sequel to the game

Still in the camp that believes Ellie wouldn't of sacrificed herself had she known, and no one ever got her consent either way. Baffles me how many people forget the scene with Joel's brother I believed it was that managed to survive and live in a striving normal community without killing little girls. I interpreted that the cure for humanity wasn't a literal disease cure but that right there.

Mononoke

Banned
Still in the camp that believes Ellie wouldn't of sacrificed herself had she known, and no one ever got her consent either way. Baffles me how many people forget the scene with Joel's brother I believed it was that managed to survive and live in a striving normal community without killing little girls. I interpreted that the cure for humanity wasn't a literal disease cure but that right there.

Yeah, the fact that
she didn't give consent to being killed, is kind of crazy how people defend that. This whole idea that it's for the greater good goes a long way for some folks.

Jobbs

Banned
There's a sequel because the first game was a big hit and one of the mostly highly acclaimed titles in history.

It'll be about Ellie, at least in part, because everyone absolutely loves Ellie.

Sometimes things are simple. Companies aren't stupid. If they have gold they don't just leave it behind because "The first game was too good, we need to just let it lie because we can't do better". No. That's not how it works. Ellie will be back, I'll bet money on it right now if anyone wants to.

Banned
I have mixed feelings about this because it means both naughty dog teams are outputting the same IP's as last gen. I would have loved something new or revived.

But I do love uncharted and TLOU.

I'll never understand this mentality of not wanting sequels. As hard as it is to create new successful IP people want it abandoned after one game. Druckmann already said this was Ellie's origin story so we know where this is going.

Lt.Chips

I hope it's a prequel with a completely new protagonist and that we get a glimpse of Joel as a cameo who had to do shady stuff in Boston to support himself and his brother. Perhaps it could be a story of a man who has to protect his pregnant wife amidst the chaos. The twist is that we learn towards the end of the game that the protagonist is Ellie's father.

TLOU had such an impactful ending that personally, I would simply want to leave it as it is and not follow up with another plot... but like many of you said here, I'll play it day one no matter what.

I hope it's a prequel with a completely new protagonist and that we get a glimpse of Joel as a cameo who had to do shady stuff in Boston to support himself and his brother. Perhaps it could be a story of a man who has to protect his pregnant wife amidst the chaos. The twist is that we learn towards the end of the game that the protagonist is Ellie's father.

TLOU had such an impactful ending that personally, I would simply want to leave it as it is and not follow up with another plot... but like many of you said here, I'll play it day one no matter what.

I hate prequels because you already know the end result.

Top Bottom