• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not confirmed: Dark Souls 3 PC framerate to be locked at 30 fps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know why From just doesnt come out from the start and say PC will be framerate unlocked. No reason to cap it even if it does have performance issues.

Possible that it's only capped at launch though? There was a month or so between the console and PC release on DSII so maybe that extra time was necessary to get it at 60fps. This time they are releasing on the same day so maybe they just don't have time to get it running at that performance level at launch.

I don't mean that.

I mean I'm glad I'm not part of this disgusting 60fps bias.

I understand that it is a problem to From Soft and they should fix it.

But jesus...

It's not bias. Competitive games on console aim for 60 fps for a reason. I started playing Souls on console and played it at 30 just fine. But after replaying DS1 at 60 then playing DS2 at 60 there is no way I want to go back and there is no reason we should have to. It simply feels much better.

Considering the improvement in port quality between the first and second games, you'd be silly to think otherwise.

If there's a 30 FPS lock in the final PC build, I'm out. Not going to make excuses for From after Dark Souls 2's lovely port.

Dark Souls 2 had a different director and producer. Miyazaki may have a hard on for 30fps.

Tain

The thought of the game supporting 60fps to make a trailer and then not supporting 60fps for release is, like, ridiculous to me. Framerate-tied logic is very, very different and a bit less baffling than "maxfps=30", and that would be an instance of the later.

I can't rule anything out 100%, but to me the game being built for variable framerates and then getting a cap afterwards would be far more confusing than the DS2 lighting controversy.

Diancecht

I don't give a single fuck about DS games so this news doesn't bother me but I am just baffled to see yet another developer just don't understand the basics of porting a game to PC.

YOU CAN'T MAKE IT LOCKED TO 30 FPS.

PC community doesn't care if it's your "artistic vision" or the games engine locked to 30 fps. They will ALWAYS demand at least 60 fps.

Like it or not that's how it is and you are going to have play by the rules if you want positive reaction from the PC community.

I mean this shit will get fixed in two days by the community no doubt but the game will suffer because of it.

s_mirage

Hopefully the 30fps talk is a misunderstanding. If not, it will have a bearing on how highly I prioritize buying this game.

It's the new buzzword.

I don't know, but judging by how much it's being used lately, I'd say the new buzzword is "hyperbole". "Entitled" is the old one.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Glad i got the PC version for $26 :lol. Still even if it is indeed 30fps it won't bother me (much), i was amazed by DS1, DS2 and BB even on 30fps.

What is unnacceptable though is that PC version ends up being another terrible port like DS1 was.

MUnited83

For you.
Of course its going to be 60fps lol. Unless they are unbelievably dumb, they are not releasing it locked 30fps. Not after the franchise selling half of its total sales on PC

I don't know, but judging by how much it's being used lately, I'd say the new buzzword is "hyperbole". "Entitled" is the old one.

Yup after "entitled" and "optimized", "hyperbole" joins the ranks. Oh and "FUD" is up there also. There is a 95% chance of people using these words correctly.
stupid xcom joke

Great framerate are gross! Eww!

Yeah, putting "disgusting" and "60fps" next to each other wasn't a good idea, was it?

I better not get tagged for this.

It's not bias. Competitive games on console aim for 60 fps for a reason. I started playing Souls on console and played it at 30 just fine. But after replaying DS1 at 60 then playing DS2 at 60 there is no way I want to go back and there is no reason we should have to. It simply feels much better.

I'm just saying I'm glad I'm totally fine with Bloodborne's performance, and people that refuse to play great games just because the framerate isn't perfect to them are crazy people to me.

I'm just saying I'm glad I'm totally fine with Bloodborne's performance, and people that refuse to play great games just because the framerate isn't perfect to them are crazy people to me.

Sub 60fps on PC is far from "isn't perfect" it's incompetent. On console they have hardware limitations that make them choose eye candy or framerate. On PC that is not an issue nor is it a choice they are forced to make. Expecting a developer to cater to the strengths of your platform is not crazy and as a consumer should be expected.

orochi91

So what?

A 60fps mod will get released within a day, if not a few hours after the game launches.

That's almost always been the case.

There's only one reason why this would be capped to 30: because Sony asked them to.

These big companies are too tangled with console makers to be entirely free. Sony funds From, it's very obvious that Sony asked for parity. It's very plausible From accepted.

There's nothing crazy about expecting a basic level of functionality out of PC ports. We've through this time and time again with PC ports that cap framerates at 30 when they don't need to be; the expectation of any PC game that is 3D rendered is that it runs at least at 60. If it gets capped to 30 that's an issue.

This is different from Bloodborne, which is a console exclusive and people have no options. I can play Bloodborne just fine and will continue to in future replays, but when a game comes to a platform that can manage 60 fps, I expect 60 fps, it's that simple.

Discussion always breaks down at "you're crazy if this is a deal breaker to you", at which point I go "there's nothing else we can do to tell From this isn't OK." Maybe if your hype is through the roof and you just can't contain the excitement this seems "crazy", but there's fans of the series who actually CAN wait for a sale or whatever. I've beaten every Souls game since Demon's and consider Demon's to be one of the greatest games of all time. Every time I play a Souls game it consumes my free time and I just keep playing until the very end.

But then again I'm in a position where I can play a shitton of games at any given moment, and no game ever has me by the balls to the point where I HAVE to play it even when dumb shit like this happens. And this happened with the DS2 downgrade. Arguably that was worse since it was the entire graphical style and fidelity as opposed to just the framerate, but to me the situation is more or less the same. And the "you're crazy if this is a deal breaker to you!!" dismissals bounce off me the same way. I know I'm a Souls fan and I'll play the game eventually in some capacity. Maybe I find it for extra cheap down the line, maybe I borrow it or get it used someday. But not supporting these kinds of practices on launch day I consider to be more important than getting my fix because I can't help myself. I can, these are just video games.

Risette

A Good Citizen
There's only one reason why this would be capped to 30: because Sony asked them to.

These big companies are too tangled with console makers to be entirely free. Sony funds From, it's very obvious that Sony asked for parity. It's very plausible From accepted.
lmao we're in framerate truther territory now

4kVRidm.gif

Do you really think it goes like that?

DS1 came to PC a long time after consoles.

DS2 still came out on consoles a month before, giving an ample buffer.

With DS3 is very plausible that even if the release is contemporary they strove for parity across the board in order to not hamper any platform.

Sony wouldn't be happy to be a "lesser" platform, and Sony has much more direct ties with a Japanese based company like From than, say, Ubisoft who's based in Europe. They definitely have influence over them, and you can be SURE they use it.

Mister Wolf

I want to believe.

orochi91

That's it.

You've convinced me.

WTO should launch an investigation into Sony's sinister collusion(s).

well i do hope its not locked to 30fps, i hope we know well in advance of release, they are just forcing a ps4 sale if it is....
Id be so confused with how wonderful dark souls 2 runs, but i see people bringing up good points, and they give me concern, dont let there be a parity deal here

The God

I think it's more likely that Nintendo asked From to cap the game at 30, so that the 60fps NX port looks that much better.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

I finished Bloodborne and enjoyed it but it felt horrible to me, the frame time issue made the game feel choppy all of the time which definitely hurt the experience for me. And sadly DS3 has the exact same issue, which means I won't buy it on PS4, and if the PC version is gimped I won't be buying it at all. Nothing kills a game quicker for me than poor performance which is why I'm predominantly a PC gamer as I can make sure I hit 60fps locked (apart from some shitty ports), I think it's crazy how people are so forgiving and so quick to dismiss technical issues.

BB's performance is bordering on unacceptable. It's not something that can or should be defended. It didn't make me stop playing the game but it's a very big issue and it's quite baffling to me that the developer that creates the best gameplay in the business cares so little about how its games run, it just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I already said in this thread that I fully expect DS3 to support 60fps out of the box.

Lol, nice one.

Dark Souls sold excedingly well, probably surpasing their best expectations, and probably a good chunk of that was thanks to DSfix.

Dark Souls II PC is the highest selling SKU, or at least it sold as well, thanks in great part to a sounding port that used PC capabilities.

Are you telling me that Namco and From will screw up the PC version when is as popular or even more on PC, and that in no doubt contributed enormously to the success of the series?

I can't believe it, except for the fact that both are Japanese companies, and good knows why goes in their minds when the words "port" and "pc" combine in their brains.

pUwBJQ8.gif

This thread is great lmao

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
Why is someone contacting customer support for framerate on a game that is not released yet? Why is someone even contacting customer support about framerate? People are weird sometimes.

Persona7

Banned
Does anyone have any evidence that Bloodborne uses a completely new engine and not just a altered version of the engine used in Dark Souls or Dark Souls 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom