• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not confirmed: Dark Souls 3 PC framerate to be locked at 30 fps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
No offence, but you can't simply ignore the console versions that are releasing simultaneously, especially in a franchise that has a strong historical tie to one particular console.

The big question being asked over and over is WHY wouldn't From promise support 60fps like is expected from most PC titles? To discuss that point you need to consider the background of the franchise, its makers, and the need to sell as well as possible across 3 platforms at launch.

As I've tried to point out, what seems like an obvious priority for a hardcore PC souls fan, and what From/Bamco consider to be critical, are not likely to be the same.

I think both From and Bamco know very well that DS1 wouldn't have sold even half of what it sold on PC without the fixes the community made.

poodaddy

Traded in my copy of Bloodborne for Scholar. Sixty second souls is a sight to behold.

It kind of makes me a sinner to say it but I actually kind of enjoy Dark Souls 2 more than Bloodborne purely because of the frame rate. Weird to say I know, but it's kind of a big deal for me. Don't think I could ever trade in Bloodborne though, (not that I can as I own it digitally), as it's just too incredible a game. Maybe one day in like 10 years or so we'll get a 60fps Bloodborne on the PS5 or something, that would be quite an experience.

gdt

Ok regardless of whatever platform you prefer you are giving From your money and all customers deserve what they expect to be commonplace on their platform. So if From is stilllll locking Souls at 30fps then fuck them. And they will be fucking blasted by the community, especially after the sublime DSII port.

Now, I don't actually believe From is locking this game, as that would be idiotic. But people coming in here saying it's ok for From to cap it at 30fps because they sell more on consoles (which is factually incorrect) or that PC gamers are entitled.....well all of that is silly.

epmode

It kind of makes me a sinner to say it but I actually kind of enjoy Dark Souls 2 more than Bloodborne purely because of the frame rate.

I prefer Bloodborne but I can't lie that the tech problems make a tougher decision than it should be. 30 FPS + stuttering + CHROMATIC ABERRATION is rough.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
It kind of makes me a sinner to say it but I actually kind of enjoy Dark Souls 2 more than Bloodborne purely because of the frame rate. Weird to say I know, but it's kind of a big deal for me. Don't think I could ever trade in Bloodborne though, (not that I can as I own it digitally), as it's just too incredible a game. Maybe one day in like 10 years or so we'll get a 60fps Bloodborne on the PS5 or something, that would be quite an experience.

No it's not weird I feel the same way and much prefer Scholar. I would take the smoothness of Scholar over the increased visuals of bloodborne any day of the week.

To everyone in the thread summoning Durante if it turns out he game is capped at 30fps...

Do you want to get soft-banned? Because that's how you get soft-banned.

Locked at 30fps? Nope.

Locked at 60fps, same with DS2? Most definately.

Then again, loads of people (including me) figured that Lightning Returns would be broken fps wise like XIII/XIII-2, and it turned out excellent (well, except when the engine has to load assets on the fly. Battles are rock solid). We've been surprised before.

Kinda hope From stops making their own engines and switches to Unreal 4 or something in the future. Leave the PS2 era behind, please. Of course, this hasn't stopped other devs before. Or fighting game devs, oddly.

Phased

I never thought the durability issue in DS2 was that big of a deal on PC and I've put in over a hundred hours into it between original and (pre durability fix) Scholar. It kinda seemed like the same people complaining that the cape in Syndicate was 30fps even though the game ran at 60.

If something so minor is going to set you off then chances are you'll find something to be upset about anyways.

Besides they fixed it in Scholar and seemed to learn their lesson. Aside from the durability thing the port of DS2 was really quite good, and until they officially say it's gonna be 30fps there's no reason to assume the worst on the word of a CS Rep who probably uses google for a lot of their answers.

poodaddy

No it's not weird I feel the same way and much prefer Scholar. I would take the smoothness of Scholar over the increased visuals of bloodborne any day of the week.
Yup, performance > visuals any and every day of the week. I'd rather a game feel good than look good.

I prefer Bloodborne but I can't lie that the tech problems make a tougher decision than it should be. 30 FPS + stuttering + CHROMATIC ABERRATION is rough.
Yeah that stuttering was pretty bad man.....but for some reason the CA didn't bother me for Bloodborne simply because it seemed to fit the weird nightmarish theme. That being said, if I could of disabled it, I definitely would have.
I really hope this isn't true...
Yeah, I actually don't think it is but I guess we'll see if they want money from PC gamers. Refund numbers are going to be huge and the PR will be a nightmare for them if it is true. Arkham Knight all over again.....

Off topic but your team will be receiving some more money from me in two days for your awesome work ;)

poodaddy

Of course they're aware, but how many developers go out of their way to thank the community for adding features that should be mandatory to their games?

That and publicly acknowledging Durante would basically be publicly acknowledging that the DS1 port was a goddamn disgraceful mess that had to be fixed, and god forbid a publisher or developer ever acknowledge their fuck ups in a public manner.

epmode

Of course they're aware, but how many developers go out of their way to thank the community for adding features that should be mandatory to their games?

Firaxis publicly praises the developers of The Long War mod for XCOM, a game that didn't officially support mods. The project lead calls XCOM's campaign "a twenty hour tutorial for The Long War". The excellent official mod support in XCOM2 wouldn't have happened without it.

It's not quite the same but a little transparency would be welcome.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I actually don't consider the PC version of Dark Souls 1 to be THAT bad, just lazy. From a gameplay standpoint, it played perfectly fine and I never experienced a crash that wasn't caused by a mod.

I don't think 'dark souls has been 5 bucks on steam and in humble bundle!' is a good argument for declaring pc the most popular souls platform. all that means is that the game was 5 bucks and in the humble bundle. If it was 5 bucks on xbox live or psn and ported to the next gen consoles it would probably dwarf the pc sales, like every other console centric game. I mean, the fact that it's highly ill advised to play the game with keyboard and mouse controls is pretty indicative that PC is a secondary concern for them.

Regardless, I'm with everybody who thinks a 30 fps cap on PC is a travesty. I just feel like people are getting a little too unhinged about the whole thing and talking crazy.

Will be keeping a cautious eye on the PC version leading up to release. DS2 at 60FPS on PC made up for a ton of the game's shortcomings, felt so smooth.

Lister

Banned
I don't think 'dark souls has been 5 bucks on steam and in humble bundle!' is a good argument for declaring pc the most popular souls platform. all that means is that the game was 5 bucks and in the humble bundle. If it was 5 bucks on xbox live or psn and ported to the next gen consoles it would probably dwarf the pc sales, like every other console centric game. I mean, the fact that it's highly ill advised to play the game with keyboard and mouse controls is pretty indicative that PC is a secondary concern for them.

Regardless, I'm with everybody who thinks a 30 fps cap on PC is a travesty. I just feel like people are getting a little too unhinged about the whole thing and talking crazy.

Jesus this shit won't end.some of you are trying too hard.

Sanctuary

Jesus this shit won't end.some of you fanboys are trying too hard.

He's probably not wrong. Yeah, the Souls games "sold well" on PC, but they didn't sell most of those at full price, or even within the first month of release. It's like some people don't think that it matters that X game sold for dirt cheap--which inflates the overall units moved--just as long as those overall numbers look high.

NBtoaster

I expected as much. Dark Souls 2 was on a different engine and was outsourced heavily, and probably wont represent their work going forward.

epmode

He's probably not wrong. Yeah, the Souls games "sold well" on PC, but they didn't sell most of those at full price, or even within the first month of release. It's like some people don't think that it matters that X game sold for dirt cheap--which inflates the overall units moved--just as long as those overall numbers look high.

I love how people turn excellent sale prices against the platform with silly arguments like this. All it takes is one sale to instantly invalidate any good news about PC game numbers.

Aomber

DSFix doesn't solve the logic they tied to framerate, so you can imagine the problems the Bloodborne engine will run into when you force it to 60.

People seem to forget that even 60fps DS2 had issues because of this, most notably weapon durability.

Wasn't weapon durability fixed in DS2 with the mod too?

I'm not worried about this

Luigiv

No. You remembered not correctly. I've played DS1 on 60fps two and a half times (haven't completed third playthrough yet) and I have encountered zero issues, except for very randomly (twice in 100 hours) falling through the ground when sliding off ladders. Existing the game and re-enter and you start right in front of the ladder. A very, very minuscule price to pay for smooth 60fps.

Some of the jumps are trickier to make as gravity and air resistance are tied to framerate (trying to get back to the undead asylum in particular is quite a pain without dropping the framerate) but yeah, otherwise the game plays fine at 60fps.

Vex_

Banned
NAMCO BANDAI said:
2dd.jpg

If namco bandai delays the PC version of the game, we know why.... Lol.

MUnited83

For you.
I love how people turn excellent sale prices against the platform with silly arguments like this. All it takes is one sale to instantly invalidate any good news about PC game numbers.

Yep. Funnily enough, actual data actually works against them, and it has been proved over and over that a great portion of sales is still made on the launch month.

Reminds me of Valkyria Chronicles. It sold over 300k/400k with barely any discount, but it had hit 5$ when it reached 500k, and you would see people trying to downplay the sales and saying the majority of the sales were at 5$. Which isn't true in the slightest. Shit, if it was true, you'd think Dark Souls 2 wouldn't even reach half of the sales it since it has yet to hit the mythical 5$ price tag once and by SteamSpy numbers has done very well with no or minimal sales at all.

duckroll

I think we've gone on for long enough without any sort of confirmation or any helpful information on the actual topic. We can do this again when the game/reviews come out and it's really locked at 30fps. Hopefully not though. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom