• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Analyst: Switch US retail SW on pace to be biggest Nintendo launch year on record

Npd doesn't track Nintendo's digital anyway I don't believe.

Correct. What I meant to say is that because 3DS had no digital games in its launch year, any game bought for 3DS would be boxed, whereas we know eShop sales are pretty healthy on Switch, and boxed games alone are going to outpace 3DS (assuming 3DS, which launched in March 2011, was the current victor)

psyfi

Banned
Cant wait when the Switch reach 100 Million, to read a lot of "Not surprised" and "Expected" here. Never change GAF... lol
lmao well I actually have been predicting the success of the Switch since the Eurogamer leak in August (?) 2016

I'm not even all that obsessed with Nintendo, I just knew they had a hit on their hands.

noshten

I believe 3DS cleared 4 million in NA during it's first year on the market. It had a huge price-cut mid year and the biggest titles launched in the fall.
Switch is simply far more attractive as a device and the launch lineup is far better than either 3DS or Wii U. Its something I've said since it's release and it's not surprising it's doing better than 3DS and Wii U. The only question mark remains supply but I'm confident at least 50% of the annual supply is meant for the fall, with Super Mario Odyssey launching I expect the supply to really ramp up into the holidays.

Irminsul

With the basis being a calendar year, the best comparisons are 3DS (launched in March) and GBA (launched in June).

IIRC, the GBA launch went really well hardware-wise, so it's still impressive to beat this "by a large margin", even if the GBA launch had three months fewer.

nubbe

W2de9yv.gif

I believe 3DS cleared 4 million in NA during it's first year on the market. It had a huge price-cut mid year and the biggest titles launched in the fall.
Switch is simply far more attractive as a device and the launch lineup is far better than either 3DS or Wii U. Its something I've said since it's release and it's not surprising it's doing better than 3DS and Wii U. The only question mark remains supply but I'm confident at least 50% of the annual supply is meant for the fall, with Super Mario Odyssey launching I expect the supply to really ramp up into the holidays.

It definitely bodes well for the future since traditionally Nintendo has always sold two platforms side by side (so DS and Wii software sales and 3DS and Wii U software sales and GC and GBA software sales).

Nintendo is still supporting the 3DS in the same way Apple did the iPod after the iPhone launched, too.

Griss

And because it's a portable / hybrid I'd bet it has a much higher rate of digital purchases than the Wii U. I know that I've bought 5 full-priced retail games (Zelda, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart, Rabbids, Pokken) and they're all digital. Back when the Wii U launched I was still a physical purchaser.

Add it all up and it promises to be a huge year for Nintendo.

Irminsul

A lot of handhelds didn't.
Well, two of them, to be precise. The GBA and the 3DS, and the GBA launched in June. GBC and DS both launched in November.

But as I said above, I still think it's impressive Switch beats both of them "by a fairly large margin".

Well, two of them, to be precise. The GBA and the 3DS, and the GBA launched in June. GBC and DS both launched in November.

But as I said above, I still think it's impressive Switch beats both of them "by a fairly large margin".

And neither had digital, which implies that digital-only offerings may be additive and aren't taking away from boxed + digital games.

There are something like 150 games on the eShop as of this week, and in Europe at least, only 25-30 or so are boxed.

A lot of handhelds didnt have worldwide launches like the Switch. Nor did they launch as early.

It's absolutely an odd comparison.

3DS launched in February in Japan, March in North America, Europe and Australasia.

But when did a worldwide launch matter in this thread? The unit sales information is specific to North America. It's the NPD.

WestEgg

... holy crap why did I never know you could do that?

Zelda's full of stuff like this. You can reflect aghanim's magic with the butterfly net, pull out the fishing rod to distract Ganondorf in TP, and I think the same works against Demise with the butterfly net.

Irminsul

A lot of handhelds didnt have worldwide launches like the Switch. Nor did they launch as early.

Worldwide launch should be irrelevant when talking about NPD data, as they're US only (or maybe US + Canada).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

This is about the US market....i dont see how other platforms having worldwide launches or not matters.

The comparison is flawed though since Switch games are usually more expensive than past handheld titles anyway. Good result for sure but it doesnt tell us much.

Calendar year renders this tidbit pretty useless. It basically only means it's doing better than 3DS since that's the only other system that launched in Q1.

SNES like levels again. Eh. Hope we get memorable RPGs during that era. Need more Atlus, NISA, and Falcom games. I’ve given up on SE bringing back quality RPGs to Switch other than FF and DQ
Uh, they are bringing Lost Sphear and Octopath Traveler, both look to be quality. Have you tried the demos for either one yet? I would do so before making judgements like this.

More good news for Nintendo. Hopefully this bodes well for Third Parties during the holidays. If the big Third Party games are selling well this holiday, then it will probably open the flood gates for projects that are getting green lit, if the floodgates haven't already been opened.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Surprised 3rd parties didn't rush to flood the market with quick cash grabs for the Switch's first holiday season.

Bethesda was on the freaking ball here.

They have a really good library this year. There isn't anything in 2018 that I'm excited about though, assuming MP4 is 2019+. I feel like Nintendo intentionally release aligned their big internal games to this year. Seeing a few major 3rd party ports indicates it may have worked. Also the indie content has been top notch.

January: "Switch is DOA"

September: "This really isn't that surprising"

I love you guys.

The Switch is a lot more successful than I feared, but this actually is not surprising. The only fair comparison is with the 3DS and that system was infamous for its really bad first year until the release of Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7. If Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey didn't beat that, that would have surprised me even if hardware sales had been mediocre.

zelas

3DS launched in February in Japan, March in North America, Europe and Australasia.

March 3 vs March 27. Not all days in March are the same.

But when did a worldwide launch matter in this thread? The unit sales information is specific to North America. It's the NPD.

It was just another point to highlight how different the launches were. I could also mention handheld and console market consolidation, Zelda + Mario. Advantages the 3ds didnt have.

The Switch is a lot more successful than I feared, but this actually is not surprising. The only fair comparison is with the 3DS and that system was infamous for its really bad first year until the release of Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7. If Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey didn't beat that, that would have surprised me even if hardware sales had been mediocre.

Even though it launched in June, I'd argue the GBA is also a fair comparison.

I also guarantee you that if someone had stated eight months ago that Switch would have the best Nintendo launch calendar year, software-wise, in 22 years, that person would have been laughed at by most people. It really wasn't until BotW's stellar reviews that some people started realizing "hey, this might go better than I thought".

This also includes all software, not just first party releases. So, Switch is breaking Nintendo launch year records with almost zero third party support (yet). It's very impressive.

Nategc20

Banned
Was 95 Gameboy color and Pokemon?

Wait for advance wars, final fantasy tactics, and all those handheld games to float to the switch. This thing is just getting started.

Fiendcode

I really don't get the point of this comparison when most of the other launches happened in the fall.
Launches by quarter:

Q1
Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo Switch

Q2
Game Boy Advance

Q3
Virtual Boy
Nintendo 64

Q4
Nintendo Gamecube
Pokémon mini
Nintendo DS
Wii
Wii U

Elandyll

Banned
What are the current-gen AAA games it is getting?
FIFA18 I believe.

Love the NPD discussion but the release period makes for a rather flawed analysis at best.

It would be better to wait for the September numbers to then do a 6 months comparison, and even better in April 18 with the March numbers for a full year of data.

Right now, the comparison is basically telling us it's doing better than the 3DS...

Hero

All.

Do go on...

Thanks for clarification. That's really impressive. I know it's not a "fair" comparison to most consoles like some posters in here are mentioning but ultimately, that doesn't matter to Nintendo or publishers/developers. What they are/should be taking away from this is that Switch owners are ravenous for software, not because there's a lack of games, but because they want more games to play.

January: "Switch is DOA"

September: "This really isn't that surprising"

I love you guys.

This.

Top Bottom