• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2015 [Up1: Xbox One #1]

It's amazing how much brand loyalty Microsoft has built in this country in the 360 years. Where everywhere else is an assured dominion of PS4 over Xbox One, here the underdog can still hang with the top dog.

Imagine a situation where bone is actually a good product compared to the competition coupled with this weird brand loyalty.

Amazing with all the things going against bone and it still is hanging in there in NPD's. I don't get it.

AniHawk

Imagine a situation where bone is actually a good product compared to the competition coupled with this weird brand loyalty.

Amazing with all the things going against bone and it still is hanging in there in NPD's. I don't get it.

honestly over a year removed from the fiasco that was their may unveiling, i think most people have stopped caring. and to someone who is just observing from the sidelines, the systems look pretty much the same. at that point, it might just be where your friends are.

Fat4all

Banned

It's not that hard to understand. Microsoft has been working like crazy to gain back good will and it's working.

Also, saying "imagine a situation where bone is actually a good product" is quite hyperbolic, wouldn't you say? It's not a marginally worse product than the PS4. I personally don't have an Xbox One, but I can understand why some of my friends might want one.

There's good games, it's at a good price, and hardware/exclusives aside, its been better value than PS4 since last year.

Also, PR nightmares and fallout from a fuckup don't last forever.

It IS a good product. I have both systems and I play my Xbox One more. Graphics are not the only thing that make a system good. The games do, and while I loved Bloodborne, I found myself playing Ori, Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon 2 more in the last 2 months than anything on the PS4. Don't get me wrong, I love my PS4 as well and I know 2016 is going to be a killer year, but the whole "XB1 is a crappy product, compared to PS4" is getting old.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Instead of commenting on PS4 and/or Xbox One, I have a question instead -

What are the chances of Nintendo lowering the price of Wii U to $200 at E3?

kungfuian

Yeah the improvement YoY for the Xbox is worth noting. Going from 115k to 187k is a pretty nice jump. Granted its much cheaper now, but still a notable improvement.

A better way to look at it is 115k x $500= $57,500,000 and 187k x $350= $65,450,000 so it's a decent jump in install base due to the price cut and a small jump in total revenue.

It IS a good product. I have both systems and I play my Xbox One more. Graphics are not the only thing that make a system good. The games do, and while I loved Bloodborne, I found myself playing Ori, Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon 2 more in the last 2 months than anything on the PS4. Don't get me wrong, I love my PS4 as well and I know 2016 is going to be a killer year, but the whole "XB1 is a crappy product, compared to PS4" is getting old.

stop-lying.jpg

i almost bought an xbone last month, the 349.99 bundle with mcc & hardline at bestbuy in canada was tempting, i ended up getting a Wii U & a vita...

Fat4all

Banned
Instead of commenting on PS4 and/or Xbox One, I have a question instead -

What are the chances of Nintendo lowering the price of Wii U to $200 at E3?

Oh god, I hope so. Honestly, I find the $299 price (and even the refurbished price) juuuuuust a bit too high for my liking.

At $199 I would jump on in a heartbeat, even without a game bundled, though they would most likely pack in Nintendoland.

i almost bought an xbone last month, the 349.99 bundle with mcc & hardline at bestbuy in canada was tempting, i ended up getting a Wii U & a vita...

Sounds more like personal taste than a factual assessment...

A better way to look at it is 115k x $500= $57,500,000 and 187k x $350= $65,450,000 so it's a decent jump in install base due to the price cut and a small jump in total revenue.

Doesn't really work that way as those added systems will purchase Xbox Live and software so its a bigger increase in revenue than that

pixelation

Amazon newest PS4 bundle: PS4 + TLOU Remastered + The Order 1886 CE for $399.99

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00XLY5A4S/15-24-20/

(Via Wario64)

Pretty good deal.

I wasn't expecting Microsoft to win the month. I doubt many people were. So the victory seems rather impressive regardless of the margin. Especially since Sony seems to have all the momentum and some good games recently released.

I own a PS4 and so far the X1 doesn't really interest me. Although I expect Microsoft to have a good holiday and a good bundle deal may tempt me to get one this year.

Fair enough.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
To be fair I would take the Wii U and vita over either the current consoles, that's just personal taste tho...

Seriously they are both good consoles just need a good year of great interesting ip

longdi

Banned
I'm shocked that sony lost when both have no games or drops this month, as PS4 have better reputation and momentum so far. Is this the beginning of unreturned of the king? XBox always have the favorism of NA gamers and media.

Sounds more like personal taste than a factual assessment...

facts: I have hardline on ps4, have played every halo to death

speculation: likelyhood of xbone being 299 with sales this fall is pretty good

also, when did this become reddit? someone down vote me plz

madmackem

Cool, its great when either system does well because it shows the that consoles are stronger than ever now : )

While I don't think consoles are dieting far from it sales are down year on year this month and top seller doesn't seem a high number this month. I'd say it's not good news at all.

NolbertoS

Well, at least goinf into Black Friday I can expect Bomba sales in consoles a 349.99 Xbox one with kinect and 329.99 or lower PS4 Bundlr please, until then, My wallet will keep being happy :) :p

GHG

Gold Member
Wait. What is this bullshit?

Xbox 360 April 2007 (Second April) 174k

PS4 April 2015 (Second April) 174k

PS3 April 2008 (Second April) 187k

Xbox One April 2015 (Second April) 187k

Everything is written.

But seriously, unexpected result this month for the xb1. I bet even MSFT are surprised.

Lets see if they can carry some momentum into e3 and beyond.

Armadilo

Banned
This E3 is going to be a blood bath between both consoles isn't it ? Both fans are already taking shots at each other and everyone can feel it coming, someone should get the Gangs of New York gang battle Gif ready for E3

kungfuian

Doesn't really work that way as those added systems will purchase Xbox Live and software so its a bigger increase in revenue than that

Of course you are right, and Microsoft are smart to go for install base at the expense of initial profits. But we can only speculate on the full effect without much more data (have to try in add in attach rates and gold membership changes etc..). We certainly don't have a figure for the lifetime value of a x-box one owner (no one will for some years) but it's a hell of a lot more than any profit/loss on the system.

That said those gains, when comparing year over year, are not some clear sign of a turn around. They are exactly what we would expect from a product that is selling at 70% of it's previous cost.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I dont know about Witcher 3 marketing deal thing. Cant say Microsoft will be a clear winner because of that. The whole marketing is weird when it comes to this game. I found and saw more witcher videos on Playstation channel on Youtube than Xbox. Every one reviewed it on PS4. The only place I saw it was being marketed as Xbox One game was during conan show. That too was a PC version.

I wouldn't call this a marketing deal at all.

There are different tiers of partnerships and they come with different restrictions. You can be a preferred partner and not a full official 1st partner platform partner with above the line media match, that kind of thing.

Different deals for different content and windows of opportunity

I know it's a very small sample size but I work for a retailer and my district was very constrained on inventory for ps4's and it was a huge struggle to get Bloodborne in stock. I know one particular store had zero copies of Bloodborne for a good 3 weeks out of the month.

Megatron

This really came out of the blue. I never expected xb1 to win this month when there are no easily explainable reasons like a major release or price drop . All of a sudden May looks really interesting.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
What the hell, mine as well comment...

I bought an Xbox One Halo MCC bundle and five weeks later, im looking to sell it. I'm simply not going to play any games for it until Rise of the Tomb Raider, I hate the user interface, power brick and the fact that there's no option to turn off the controller vibration ruined Ryse: Son of Rome for me as I was actually enjoying the game.

As for PS4, it's my main console and that's not going to change anytime soon. Xbox One is good but I love my Xbox 360 more. In fact, if I had to rank them, PS4 > 360 > PS3 > One. Of course, this is just my own personal opinion.

Exclusives, Xbox One in general wins but for me, it's thus far 3-1 in favor of PS4. Knack (7/10), The Order: 1886 (8.5/10) and Bloodborne (will play in the summer sometime when it's slow) for PS4 compared to Ryse for Xbox One. I have no interest in Halo, Forza, Sunset Overdrive or Dead Rising 3. Only other game I have any interest in was Ori but that can wait until the end of the year or next year.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is the next exclusive that I want to play but it's a timed exclusive which means that I can wait until it comes out on PS4. After that, it's Quantum Break and Scalebound and both are at least a year away so to be honest, for me personally, I prefer PS4 by far.

In the end, it's all about your own personal preference and doesn't matter what anyone else thinks or says.

Fat4all

Banned
YOU said my reason for not buying it was not a factual assessment, stop.

StarBlazers said the Xbox One was a good product, and you responded with a giant YOU'RE LYING picture and a comment about playing Hardline already.

How is StarBlazers lying? Because he didn't know you played a game? How is you playing Hardline something that would effect the Xbox One as a product.

All of your experiences are personal to you, not the market. Maybe you should stop.

Sterok

So if Xbox and Playstation are reversing sales, does that mean Wii U is going to suddenly take off in sales and become impossible to find as it sells out everywhere, the exact opposite of the Wii?

I wonder what would win this Christmas:

Xbox One Slim Redesign + Halo 5 + Tomb Raider + Forza + Game Bundle
Vs.
Playstation 4 Price Drop + No Mans Sky + Uncharted Trilogy/Bundle + Marketing partnership

TomShoe

Banned

Vs.
Playstation 4 Price Drop + No Mans Sky + Uncharted Trilogy/Bundle + Marketing partnership

Depends on the retailer deals. Usually the console that ships more units has better retailer deals since the retailer is trying to get rid of as many as they can.

EDIT: Lowest Price = Winner

May be PS4 limited edition Batman bundle did some damage by making people to wait for that instead of getting regular bundle. I doubt next month too but PS4 still have big chance and right after that month PS4 will dominate from batman.

What the hell, mine as well comment...

I bought an Xbox One Halo MCC bundle and five weeks later, im looking to sell it. I'm simply not going to play any games for it until Rise of the Tomb Raider, I hate the user interface, power brick and the fact that there's no option to turn off the controller vibration ruined Ryse: Son of Rome for me as I was actually enjoying the game.

As for PS4, it's my main console and that's not going to change anytime soon. Xbox One is good but I love my Xbox 360 more. In fact, if I had to rank them, PS4 > 360 > PS3 > One. Of course, this is just my own personal opinion.

Exclusives, Xbox One in general wins but for me, it's thus far 3-1 in favor of PS4. Knack (7/10), The Order: 1886 (8.5/10) and Bloodborne (will play in the summer sometime when it's slow) for PS4 compared to Ryse for Xbox One. I have no interest in Halo, Forza, Sunset Overdrive or Dead Rising 3. Only other game I have any interest in was Ori but that can wait until the end of the year or next year.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is the next exclusive that I want to play but it's a timed exclusive which means that I can wait until it comes out on PS4. After that, it's Quantum Break and Scalebound and both are at least a year away so to be honest, for me personally, I prefer PS4 by far.

In the end, it's all about your own personal preference and doesn't matter what anyone else thinks or says.

So, you are saying that if everyone was just like you, Sony would never lose another month? I'm struggling to find the point of your cool story, bro.

Fat4all

Banned
May be PS4 limited edition Batman bundle did some damage by making people to wait for that instead of getting regular bundle. I doubt next month too but PS4 still have big chance and right after that month PS4 will dominate from batman.

Seems very likely. I wouldn't be surprised if the Xbox One wins May as well, but Batmans gonna knock some teeth.

Fredrik

Vs.
Depends on how big the price drop is, but I bet that XB1 would win in that scenario simply because a Slim design would sell to both new customers and many day 1 owners too while a price drop would only sell to new customers. And Halo is Halo, and Tomb Raider is Tomb Raider, and Forza is Forza - new games in three very popular game series.

Depends on how big the price drop is, but I bet that XB1 would win in that scenario simply because a Slim design would sell to both new customers and many day 1 owners too while a price drop would only sell to new customers. And Halo is Halo, and Tomb Raider is Tomb Raider, and Forza is Forza - new games in three very popular game series.
Plus GoW and the rumored Rare game. And both consoles will have more surprises, I'm sure, but I can bet MS is the one fighting hader with exclusivity/marketing deals, just to gain back their leadership. It will be an interestin holiday.

Top Bottom