• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2013 [Up2: Tons of Nintendo Software]

Tripon

Ubisoft is done with the WiiU after this holiday season.

Nah, Rayman sold the best on the Wii U. Stuff like Valiant Heart, and Child of Light will sell well too on the Wii U. Its not a coincidence since Nintendo has developed a community that loves to play 2D platformers on their system for decades.

If anything, Nintendo needs to develop strong 1st party FPS games to help out 3rd parties. This is why Nintendo should have greenlighted a Metroid Prime game for the Wii U, despite it won't sell as much as another Donkey Kong Country Returns game.

Disney Infinity split in the UK was 28% Wii, 7% WiiU (first week) so faring a lot better in the US. Went to 25% Wii 8% WiiU week after. Thanks Creamsugar.

You have the proposition backwards. Software sells hardware. Sure, Nintendo misfired on the GamePad, but you can't blame intangibles like "wrong pitch" or "wrong time." It's a games console, and it needs unique games to sell.

When it shares games like NSMBU and DKCTF that offer extremely similar experiences on their cheaper handheld, that's going to affect the platform. That's something tangible.

But you're assuming a huge overlap between the userbases, and further that the experience of playing on a small screen in the home or on the go versus a big screen in the home is not a different experience desired by different people. For a healthy platform, there shouldn't be a great deal of overlap, or at least there should be enough of a non-overlap that the games could easily coexist. But since Wii U is decidedly unhealthy, perhaps there is a near 1:1 overlap, which I don't think would be a good thing. These devices should be hitting different audiences.

Simply put, if Wii U, the platform, the controller, and the price, were remotely desired, NSMBU would have been fine. As Sony once put it, Nintendo should have been able to sell 5 million of them without games. The fact that they can't just further underscores how badly they missed.

gdt

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiet 96k. Thats not that bad with next gen coming around (the posters and preorders etc) but what does that say for The Wii U. Holy shit can't wait for that number.

nampad

Wow at those Splinter Cell Wii U numbers, horrible. Lost Planet 3 also bombing bad. Can't say I am sad about it.

Lumyst

I see what you mean now, but let's not get too crazy here. ZombiU had an interesting concept but also too many flaws even before release and in the previews.

I'm also guilty of Splince Cell's performance, but that has more to do with how I'm allocating more time and money towards my 3DS and Vita.

Well, I seem to remember Red Steel also got bad reviews. But it did sell. As for ZombiU, before I followed the industry this year, I remember reading bad reviews of that game and skipping it back in November. (But of course I got NSMBU, duh, I'm a Nintendo fan.) It was only until this year when I became more of a gamer that I read lots of first-hand experience about ZombiU on NeoGAF, some of it on the level of veneration, so that's when I got ZombiU....used, at bomba prices.

Ubisoft is done with the WiiU after this holiday season.

Hey, there's always their colorful and cartoonish games like Rayman, and then there's Child of Light. edit: Beaten! But I'm being slightly sarcastic, I know what you mean, no big AAA games from Ubisoft.

Disney Infinity split in the UK was 28% Wii, 7% WiiU (first week) so faring a lot better in the US. Went to 25% Wii 8% WiiU week after. Thanks Creamsugar.

nintendo consoles generally do better in the us than uk, the exception being the wii which was huge everywhere

Bruno MB

RsGbTUS.jpg

I can't wait to see hoy many units Capcom managed to ship.

Zero148

<5k copies sold on Wii U.
Approx 85k sold on PS3.
Approx 210k sold on 360.

Sold to 0.0027% of the total 360 userbase.
Sold to 0.0014% of the total Wii U userbase.
Sold to 0.0011% of the total PS3 userbase.

Edit: Total userbases of consoles calculated with worldwide figures. If someone has the US figures, they could do a better (more accurate) comparison

So Splinter Cell bombed equally hard (relative to the theoretical userbase) on all platforms. It is only logical that the WiiU numbers are terrible. It is a shame, because the game is actually good

Hiltz

Ubisoft's support of Wii U is admirable but foolish with the possible exception of Rayman Legends. It's not looking good for the state of third party support next year on Wii U if Ubisoft reduces its AAA support for the console next year.

Shart Unlimited and Capcom deliver bomba of the century?

Will Ninja Gaiden Z do worse?

Considering Ninja gaiden was never a sales juggernaut and NG3 has done significant damage to the brand, id say its pretty bloody likely.

I expect yaiba to sell in line with the typical suda51 game, which judging by killer is dead, is not where you want to be.

Mory Dunz

Approx 85k sold on PS3.
Approx 210k sold on 360.

Edit: Total userbases of consoles calculated with worldwide figures. If someone has the US figures, they could do a better (more accurate) comparison

This is interesting...

Bruno MB

Namco Bandai's streak continues.

[PS3] Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch - 112,000
[3DS] Project X Zone - 53,000
[PS3] Tales of Xillia - 100,000

antonz

But the number is ridiculously low. One has to wonder whether the cost of the port has been earned back. I doubt it did.

Probably hasn't yet but they probably have a better chance paying off the wiiu port than paying off the total development based on these sales. The last SC was exclusive to the 360 and sold almost 500k copies in its first month alone and near 2 million within like first4 months

But you're assuming a huge overlap between the userbases, and further that the experience of playing on a small screen in the home or on the go versus a big screen in the home is a different experience desired by different people. For a healthy platform, there shouldn't be a great deal of overlap, or at least there should be enough of a non-overlap that the games could easily coexist. But since Wii U is decidedly unhealthy, perhaps there is a near 1:1 overlap, which I don't think would be a good thing. These devices should be hitting different audiences.

Simply put, if Wii U, the platform, the controller, and the price, were remotely desired, NSMBU would have been fine. As Sony once put it, Nintendo should have been able to sell 5 million of them without games. The fact that they can't just further underscores how badly they missed.

Of course there's overlap. There might not be overlap if they were offering different experiences. For instance, if the Wii U offered all racers and shooters and the 3DS offered all platformers and adventure games, it's clear that they'd attract different crowds.

But in reality, Wii U and 3DS are not only offering the same genres, they're offering almost exactly the same experiences. NSMB2/NSMBU. DKC3D/DKCTF. 3DLand/3DWorld.

And anyone who wants those experiences enough to buy hardware for it will look at the cheaper 3DS with better support and more games.

A Sony PR guy did say they could sell the PS3 with no games, but he was proven wrong. Software sells hardware. Always.

StevieP

Banned
Approx 85k sold on PS3.
Approx 210k sold on 360.

Anyone want to re-do my calculations with the total US console numbers rather than the worldwide figures? It would be interesting to see if any of those figures (i.e. "how badly did it bomb on each console based on total userbase") shift up or down.

Usobuko

Banned
I don't think it's that bad for Killer is Dead when you consider the budget and expectation. The true bomba is LP3, now we just need XCOM Declassified numbers.

Top Bottom