• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2013 [Up2: Tons of Nintendo Software]

legend166

I wonder if Nintendo had continued to support the Wii along with an aggressive pricing strategy (good bundles at $99 US) along with broadening their players choice line up, if it would have actually done well.

slit

I wonder if Nintendo had continued to support the Wii along with an aggressive pricing strategy (good bundles at $99 US) along with broadening their players choice line up, if it would have actually done well.

If what would have done well? The Wii?

Total sales of 3D land are higher than MK7. Now THAT is news to me. Lego City: The Chase Begins is pulling some good numbers as well.

Effect

They let Pikmin die for close to 10 years. I don't see why it should have done better then Pikmin 1 or 2. Did they even bother advertising it? I was actively looking on some kids channels as well and didn't see anything leading up to it's release or at it's release here in the US. They didn't even use that as an opportunity to advertise the Wii U .

It's looking more and more likely that Nintendo is going to fully allow both Sony and Microsoft to release their new systems completely unchallenged in terms of market awareness. Are they letting the Wii U be killed off on both fronts (by lower priced PS3 and possibly 360s and the PS4 and XB1) and have something else they plan on bringing to market next year? Perhaps allow a trade in for all current Wii U systems? That's the only thing that makes this direction by make even the tiniest bit of sense. They're completely silent when it comes to marketing that that would cause any mainstream customers take notice.

it kind of still did mediocre for a while just with just dance and skylanders, if they had actually put resources into supporting it themselves just try and imagine how much worse their wiiu support would look

Best selling (combining physical and digital sales) 3DS games in 2013.

1. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - 863,000
2. Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 739,000
3. New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 406,000 / 1,850,000
4. Fire Emblem Awakening - 390,000
5. Mario Kart 7 - 352,000 / 2,840,000
6. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity - 298,000
7. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D - 268,000
8. Super Mario 3D Land - 265,000 / 2,860,000
9. LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins - 264,000

Well look at that, people buy Nintendo games for Nintendo consoles and buy Nintendo hardware for Nintendo games.

People take note for your WiiU hardware predictions for September, October, November and December.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Wow, every title Nintendo's released this year for 3DS has sold over 250k.

And Fire Emblem: Awakening is now the best selling Fire Emblem in the west.

Pociask

Hollywood knows what's up. Every store in the country sells 5 dollar movies. Meanwhile Nintendo has, what, 6 or 8 players choice titles? It's crazy how much money they leave on the table.

Elios83

Software sales are decent, hardware is low but not really surprising. August is a slow month, PS3/360 are priced offensively high after being more than 8 years on the market. Wii U and Vita both failed to find commercial success and that isn't going to change. 3DS is doing decently but its potential market has been completely shrinked by smartphones/tablets global success.
Now waiting for creamsugar =)

Mory Dunz

Well look at that, people buy Nintendo games for Nintendo consoles and buy Nintendo hardware for Nintendo games.

People take note for your WiiU hardware predictions for September, October, November and December.

I feel the top selling games on Nintendo consoles should be Nintendo games. If not, their developers are screwing up. Not to say 3rd party games should bomb, but I would think it weird if I saw games like SMT on that list.

Miker

I'm not a sales age genius, but FE Awakening selling almost 400k in North America seems really, really good for a niche series.

That difference will change soon. It probably is only like that because it came out a month earlier than MK7.

Yeah, I see MK7 doing better numbers than 3D Land, but this is still pretty good.

I feel the top selling games on Nintendo consoles should be Nintendo games. If not, their developers are screwing up. Not to say 3rd party games should bomb, but I would think it weird if I saw games like SMT on that list.

Not to mention Nintendo games also sell better than third party games on other systems.

Shaanyboi

Banned

tumblr_mqpplzoH0H1sur8xko1_500.gif

People constantly underestimate Pokemon for some bizarre reason.

Even IF the 3DS manages to achieve the 49million forecast at the end of this fiscal year, the DS was already at 64million at the same time frame. So yeah, he's right, the 3DS isn't going to pass the DS with Pokemon alone.

B.O.O.M

Even IF the 3DS manages to achieve the 49million forecast at the end of this fiscal year, the DS was already at 64million at the same time frame. So yeah, he's right, the 3DS isn't going to pass the DS with Pokemon alone.

DS was a monster

I wonder if we will ever see PS2/DS like sales again

Are they letting the Wii U be killed off on both fronts (by lower priced PS3 and possibly 360s and the PS4 and XB1) and have something else they plan on bringing to market next year? Perhaps allow a trade in for all current Wii U systems?

No chance. Completely shifting their development was the thing that killed them with Wii U. They're not going to suddenly change it up all over again. They'd just run into the same development problems where they couldn't support their console.

They'll do some marketing along with the actual pricedrop and the new bundle. But don't let your anecdotal evidence of not having seen commercials cloud your view of the situation.

--

Pociask said:
Hollywood knows what's up. Every store in the country sells 5 dollar movies. Meanwhile Nintendo has, what, 6 or 8 players choice titles? It's crazy how much money they leave on the table.

And Hollywood doesn't even need to get you to buy a specific DVD player, yet they still offer product for the lower-end market. Nintendo needs you to buy their hardware.

Mory Dunz

Who says it will?
If someone does say that, they probably don't follow...well, anything.

Shaanyboi

Banned

You're right, it'll also have a $130 model aimed at kids, and a new Zelda this year.

Best selling (combining physical and digital sales) 3DS games in 2013.

1. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - 863,000
2. Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 739,000
3. New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 406,000 / 1,850,000
4. Fire Emblem Awakening - 390,000
5. Mario Kart 7 - 352,000 / 2,840,000
6. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity - 298,000
7. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D - 268,000
8. Super Mario 3D Land - 265,000 / 2,860,000
9. LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins - 264,000

Nice Fire Emblem numbers. Lets see.
Fire Emblem Awakening - 390,000
Add 453K at retail in Japan + some digital buyers Let's make it an easy 460K in total. (Digital sales should not be too high in Japan) .
That leaves 150.000 to 160.000 for Europe to break 1 million.
Wish we had EU numbers....

Road

We have no idea about European sales. But it is very close to becoming the best selling FE in the US.

-MB-

take note: if you don't release games, you can't sell to Nintendo gamers.

Top Bottom