• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For December 2016 (and the year's best selling games)

notaskwid

NPD charts for almost every third party now include digital numbers.

When NPD says FF XV has the best launch in the series they are counting digital versions.

It says right in the OP that XV is up 19% over XIII only physical.
And up 54% in revenue when digital is taken into consideration.

4:5 :1 is a huge ratio.

Not really.
9:1 is a huge ratio aka double the amount of 4,5:1

So no you can't say huge in Spain an germany, when one is just half of the other.
When 4.5:1 is huge, 9:1 is enormous.
When 9:1 is huge, 4.5:1 is big.

Yes, it could be 12:1 by now. lol
Totally possible, or even likely
Xbox one is doing very bad in SOUTH Europe.

Btw:
The more you go to the south, the worse xbox one sells.
Xbox one id doing good in uk and scandinavia. Okay in middle europe and bad in South europe.
For Nintendo It's the opposite
And Sony is doing great everywhere

No, you've come to the right place, you belong here.

Yes, FFXV being #3 on Xbox One in december is pretty crazy.

Thats seems pretty positive then. Hopefully this makes more Japanese devs consider porting some of the more popular games over to that platform - even if I have no interest in them personally.

Not really.

So no you can't say huge in Spain an germany, when one is just half of the other.

lol ok, I am not arguing over the semantics of big versus huge with you.

Guymelef

Not really.

So you agree.
4.5:1 is huge and 9:1 is enormous.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
TLG charting at all and doing as well as it did is impressive considering it launched in December at $60 and was going against huge heavy hitters like FFXV as well as all the other AAA and big name titles that had been released the months prior and were most likely looking at price cuts as well during December. Not only that but it was also going against the juggernauts like GTAV, Minecraft, Rocket League and other long games that have been out for a while and never stopped selling.

This is a single player linear game with no DLC, no add ons or expansions, no mulitplayer, no open world, no RPG mechanics and doesn't involve any form of typical gameplay like guns, wanton violence, beautiful men or women, and so on. It doing as well as it did in this day and age for what it is is highly impressive for me.

The fact it outdid its predecessors by a decent amount is even better.

Loudninja

Thats seems pretty positive then. Hopefully this makes more Japanese devs consider porting some of the more popular games over to that platform - even if I have no interest in them personally.
FF is the biggest one yet 71% sales were still on the PS4.

So I cant imagine other games.

But surely its a start?

If FF goes on to sell 6million copies and Xbox only get a 15% marketshare thats still 900k, there cant be that many other JRPG's that have had the costs that FF will have incurred during development?

Im not saying every random JRPG but the more established well known ones?

But surely its a start?

If FF goes on to sell 6million copies and Xbox only get a 15% marketshare thats still 900k, there cant be that many other JRPG's that have had the costs that FF will have incurred during development?

What ones would that be? FF is the biggest most broad appeal JRPG on the market, and also consider how the split is outside the US. Every other JRPG the split would be a lot more slanted towards ps4.

kswiston

But surely its a start?

Other than Kingdom Hearts, scraping to 1M will be about as good as it gets for PS4 JRPGs in the west. Most are under 500k.

Hmmm. Come in to answer some questions, but the answers to all the questions I'm seeing on the page are all already answered in the OP.

Weird.

On Demand

Banned

You would think, but other JP games don't sell like FF. 360 version of FF13 put up similar numbers and that did nothing for those other rpg's that it actual had. Nothing new here as far as potential.

People forget how many JRPG's 360 got. So it's not like it wasn't attempted before.

EDIT-

I'll say FFXV is 100K higher than i thought it would be for XB1. When you add in PS4 leading the market this time it's a very good result for XB1. I'm sure Square is pretty happy.

kswiston

Hmmm. Come in to answer some questions, but the answers to all the questions I'm seeing on the page are all already answered in the OP.

Weird.

Can you comment on PS4/XB1 software revenue in Dec 2016 vs software revenue from an equivalent December last gen for PS3/360? I think that 2009 would make the most sense going by Playstation launches.

But surely its a start?

Problem is no other JRPG series is even as big as Final Fantasy in terms of public recognition or commercial performance.

Even for FFVIIR, I have reservations if there will be an XB1 version because of one major thing: timed exclusivity. It always negatively affects the sales of the version that comes later. See Tomb Raider as an example.

Revenue
Both ps4 and xb1 were basically $50 cheaper than last year

I'd assume that Wii U also contributed a little to the YoY decline %

Weird.

Any chance of getting in a foreseeable future a full year list per platform? Like the revenue ones which have been already provided for December 2016.

I ask myself every month who is still buying GTAV and every month I am surprised at the numbers. Hopefully it means that GTAVI is going to be epic.

Weird.
Everything I would like to know you're probably not allowed to answer. But I try.

Could you give overall LTD physical tie ratios for each console or maybe just xb1 and ps4 combined, so we can compare that to last gen?

That is a benchmark I really would like to know.

Surprised it sold that well on XB1.

I wonder if SE will rethink those KH remake ports now.

Yeah, it's a good result.

As for the KH remaster collections, I think Square is still hesitant because the KH series has had absolutely zero exposure to the Xbox fanbase. Abdiel has periodically chimed in on how well KH3 is preordering on the XB1 and the ratio is significantly worse than FFXV.

Duxxy3

Why would they? That won't sell near what FF did on Xbox.

The KH remakes won't sell anywhere close to FF either, but I'm just saying that an XB1 version is worth making. The western JRPG market is mostly on the PS4, but it's not non-existent on the XB1. There is a market there. Larger than I expected too.

Yeah, it's a good result.

As for the KH remaster collections, I think Square is still hesitant because the KH series has had absolutely zero exposure to the Xbox fanbase. Abdiel has periodically chimed in on how well KH3 is preordering on the XB1 and the ratio is significantly worse than FFXV.

Have to start somewhere. Xbox didn't see a FF game until FFXIII. I don't think the xbox will ever do huge numbers on these games, but as long as the xbox and ps share similiar architecture that it's probably worth it.

The KH remakes won't sell anywhere close to FF either, but I'm just saying that an XB1 version is worth making. The western JRPG market is mostly on the PS4, but it's not non-existent on the XB1. There is a market there. Larger than I expected too.

The market isn't there, at least not enough to justify it to publishers, and FF is not proof that other JRPG's would be worthwhile. That's your mistake, thinking FF is an indication that others would perform similarly. The split would be way worse for anything outside of FF. You cannot just blanket apply FF's performance to all JRPG's on Xbox.

Zedark

The market isn't there, at least not enough to justifu it to publishers, and FF is not proof that other JRPG's would be worthwhile. That's your mistake, thinking FF is an indication that others would perform similarly. The split would be way worse for anything outside of FF.

We already see that a less prominent game like FF Type-0 drops down to a 80/20 ratio (or was it 79/21?), and I expect a game like Trails of Cold Steel for example to have an even worse ratio. At that point, porting to XB1 would be both a time and a money sink.

Final Fantasy is as mainstream as they come in terms of JRPGs (except Pokémon), so you can't simply extrapolated its pull on the xbox market to the pull any other JRPG would have on that market, especially as we see a smaller game with the same name brand doing quite a bit worse already.

kswiston

The KH remakes won't sell anywhere close to FF either, but I'm just saying that an XB1 version is worth making. The western JRPG market is mostly on the PS4, but it's not non-existent on the XB1. There is a market there. Larger than I expected

The Kingdom Hearts remake port would be doing pretty well if it launched to 200k on the PS4. Is 15-20% of that worth a port? We would be talking about an extra 30-40k copies that first month.

Final Fantasy XV is at least open world, which I'm sure helped with the ratio.

leeh

Weird.
Can you speak about if you're currently working to get PSN and XBL store numbers included in your NPD report?

Have to start somewhere. Xbox didn't see a FF game until FFXIII. I don't think the xbox will ever do huge numbers on these games, but as long as the xbox and ps share similiar architecture that it's probably worth it.

FFXIII became multiplat because the 360 was at such a dominant position over the PS3. Final Fantasy is the biggest JRPG franchise, by far, so the risk was minimal. Microsoft was also aggressively pushing for the JRPG fanbase back then. Now, Microsoft is just hoping 3rd party Japanese publishers give a damn.

I feel that it's too late for KH2.8 since it's coming out in just 4 days. Timed exclusivity, whether intentional or not, screws over the sales potential of versions that come out later. KH1.5 + 2.5? Mayyyybe there's some hope, but those collections were already on the PS3. Whoever is interested in 1.5 + 2.5 is likely a PS fan, too.

Sterok

Weird.

I've been wondering for awhile, why doesn't NPD track the Nintendo eshop? I know Nintendo (who won't share) has the most sales there, and there aren't many third parties, but they do exist. And are there plans to track eshop sales on the Switch?

Kill3r7

Wasnt FFXV on sale for $30 on xbox one in december?

I remember ps4 being regular priced

Both versions were on sale at retail as well as digital. You are right that XB1 was the only one to hit $30, Newegg/MS Store for one day prior to release. The cheapest the game was offered otherwise was $35.99.

blakep267

It was $30 before lauch on newegg and Ms store.

I would like to see split with a "fair" competition.
Serously. Your trying to use newegg as validation. That probably accounted for a very minimal amount sold and it was only available for a few hours. Gamestop (and Amazon since they price match) had FFXV for $35.99-$39.99 for both platforms for weeks in December. That's where the sales came from. Not newegg. Come on

Top Bottom