• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2016

Elandyll

Banned
Opportunistic Queso
I think there's even a movie where he stars ;)

fistful-of-dollars.jpeg

Edit: thanks to Cream we got ratios, and thanks to Queso we have a vague idea about PS4 numbers.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It seems like we're getting to the point where releasing digital games at retail doesn't really do much. Is it worth selling 30K of Resident Evil for Capcom? I'm pretty much physical only and even I can't stand the constant whining that makes pubs like Sony release games destined to sell 3k at retail.

I think PS4 will accelerate this year as all market leading consoles do.

Don't feel special, and don't be so quick to crawl up on the cross.
This can get interesting. As far as I can see you agreed on Mr. Queso's explanation for software ration, just beefing it up with some math example.
Now suddenly a third party transformed this into accusations for bias?
Either I have reading comprehension problems or there never was an issue.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
You can't extrapolate from single title or genre to total market.

Just saying what I've seen in the sales information I have access to. I'm not going to disclose any of that, so if you don't believe it that's fine. I get the doubt.

You're right, so they can take it or leave it :)

I dont see how Xbox one having a higher software tie ratio is somehow a contraversal statement. Xbox has always been the "hardcore" brand and attracts more of base that buys multiple editions of software, even in just the same franchise. Not to mention that at launch, Microsoft did not employ the Next gen tax on phisycal games.

I think in general in in philosophy, especially under spencer, Microsoft nurtures the hardcore online gamer far more than Sony who would rather cast a wide net with releases and has something for everyone. Nintendo is a mix of the two, trying make their software have universal appeal, but nuture a very closed "Nintendo" approach to software and game design

Its no surprise to me that even if sales were equal, Xbox would have a higher APU, while Sony would be able to boast that they sell a much wider variety of software. Nintendo would have an insane attact rate, but only for first party software.

The problem is that with the data given you can't come to those conclusions. Imagine the distribution of game sales is like the following for Harcore, Normal, and Casual users where those terms denote the number of games the person buys.
Code:
                   P
 X   P             P              P
 X   P         X   P          X   P
 X   P         X   P          X   P
Hardcore       Normal        Casual

X = Xbox One User
P = PlayStation 4 User

Given such a distribution, the Average Revenue per Consoles Sold would be higher for the XB1 and lower for the PS4 because the PS4 has a bunch of extra Normal and Casual gamers bringing down the average. However the PS4 has just as many hardcore gamers as the XB1. This is not unusual because the Hardcore buys a console at release when it is most expensive. Over time as the price comes down more Normal and Casual gamers buy the console too. Because the PS4 has sold more consoles overall, it is likely that they would have more of these non-hardcore gamer in addition to the hardcore gamers that already bought the system.

Really, the only thing you can get from these numbers is that from the perspective of a game developer, you would expect the growth rate of your sales to be lower than they were right after the console was released. Once again this makes sense. When the console was released, the hardcore gamers bought it and the bought a lot of games to go along with it. As more consoles were sold there were more of these hardcore gamers willing to buy games. Now 2+ years after release, you've got bargain casual shoppers waiting for the console to go on sale. When they buy a console they are going to naturally by fewer games.

The problem with the VentureBeat article was that it tried to portray this natural occurrence as something bad for the PS4 and good for the XB1 when in reality if the XB1 sold as many consoles as the PS4 it would likely have a very similar revenue per consoles sold ratio.

Boke1879

It seems like we're getting to the point where releasing digital games at retail doesn't really do much. Is it worth selling 30K of Resident Evil for Capcom? I'm pretty much physical only and even I can't stand the constant whining that makes pubs like Sony release games destined to sell 3k at retail.

Very interested to see how well Gravity Rush sells at retail in next months NPD. Considering how many people were holding Sony at the stakes here for not doing a retail release at first.

I don't think it'll do all too well. Tearaway Unfolded showed that. Gravity Rush an amazon exclusive at retail. Anyone who wants the game got it digitally.

Shenmue

Banned
Very interested to see how well Gravity Rush sells at retail in next months NPD. Considering how many people were holding Sony at the stakes here for not doing a retail release at first.

I don't think it'll do all too well. Tearaway Unfolded showed that. Gravity Rush an amazon exclusive at retail. Anyone who wants the game got it digitally.

No more than 25k is my guess.

It will sell like shit. There isn't much doubt about that. Luckily, Sony continues to publish games like that anyway.

allan-bh

Apparently any argument that sounds favourable for Xbox One in any mean is hard to digest for some folks here

People know that Queso has much more data knowledge to argue and still they are calling him out... amazing.

hawk2025

If you are being accused of being biased towards something one month, and the other the next, you are probably doing something right :)

Water off your back!

And stuff like this is the reason why people with access to data have been leaving these forums. ::shakes head::

See, I hate this porcelain doll argument, though. It's a videogame forum with hundreds, thousands of posters with different levels of commitment, time, and capability of analysis.

It's bound to happen, and it's going to keep happening, even with strong moderation like here. A small modicum of thick skin is required to post data and/or complex analysis on the internet and ignore noise. "Stuff like this" is par for the course, and people with access to data have to understand that they will attract attention from people of all parts of the spectrum. Scrutiny will happen, and it's up to everyone to filter out the noise from actual, interesting, and engaging follow-up questions.

It will sell like shit. There isn't much doubt about that. Luckily, Sony continues to publish games like that anyway.
Agree and agree.
Will hopefully sell well digitally (we will never know). I just hope it will be the same as with Life is Strange which sold next to nothing retail, but that's no problem as the game seems to have made a pretty penny digitally. (okay, it was on Steam, too)

Fady K

If you are being accused of being biased towards something one month, and the other the next, you are probably doing some right :)

Water off your back!

People accusing cosmic are being harsh, like you said when one user shows so called bias that changes from month to month is more than enough reason for the accusers to realize such users like cosmic are in fact not biased at all.

For other users who show bias towards the same thing month in month out for well over a year, then their bias is crystal clear. Such users know who they are :)

Intrigue

Banned
And stuff like this is the reason why people with access to data have been leaving these forums. ::shakes head::

Are we talking the public data from ubisofts financials that was spun to around to something thats completely unimaginable.

If it something else I don't know, I was responding to the publicly released data argument as you can see by reading last few pages.

fernoca

Nice numbers overall.
Mario & Luigi Paper Jam: 71k
Final Fantasy Explorers: 53k
8 days for Paper Jam and 4 days for Final Fantasy Explorers. Both without much hype and even the expectations of been bad.

And Mario & Luigi's number was enough to made it to the top 10 on individual SKUs.

Boke1879

I'm not worried about them publishing games like this. My point was people were pissed Sony initially wasn't going to have a retail release of it in the US. They tried it with Tearaway:Unfolded and it sold like shit a second time. Clearly this won't sell well at retail because it's amazon exclusive, but a game that was a on a niche device didn't need a retail release on PS4 regardless. anyone who wanted to play it would have bought it digitally.

Bought the game at launch (loving it) and I'm expecting 50-70k tops. Hope that's enough to localize future titles.
I don't know if that number is enough to make it chart however.
Yea im hoping it at least makes it to #10 but thats a big hope.

As far as localizing future titles go, i actually think they ill as i said earlier the devs seemed happy with the sales, made a whole thank you video we mut have did something right lol.

Shin-chan

Bought the game at launch (loving it) and I'm expecting 50-70k tops. Hope that's enough to localize future titles.
I don't know if that number is enough to make it chart however.

It's done really well in Europe so I think future titles are a given. I haven't picked it up myself but it's only available from third party sellers on Amazon.co.uk at the moment.

I don't think GRR sales have any major significance, especially at retail. The retail version is clearly just a bone Sony has thrown its fans. Europe is a little different as we get all sorts of niche indie titles with disc releases. How it does in NPD is probably the most useless metric for the remasters success. I do hope they decide to bundle it in with GR2 for free though, that game will need some actual marketing.

For other users who show bias towards the same thing month in month out for well over a year, then their bias is crystal clear. Such users know who they are :)
Bias is one of these stupid words I don't like, just like agenda or "I checked your post history".
Sounds like you are an astroturfer if you only have a personal preference.
As long as they add something to the discussion it's completely okay if they personally prefer one product over the other (or the other other). And if they can transform this into arguments that's fine as long as they can tolerate other opinions, too. I prefer a productive meltdown from an engaged salesGaffer every day of the week over someone just lurking, posting "lol" and disappearing again.
These sales-threads are quite unique as felt 75% of the thread is not really connected to the title. Instead it's a great roundup of all themes sales related, retail, digital, US, worldwide and a lot of meta-content and even industry trends, analyses and outlooks. And I think part of this is that we respect each other, even if we disagree. personal attacks lead to nothing.
Except for
haha, gotcha
, who is a complete dork and deserved to rot in hell.

A small modicum of thick skin is required to post data and/or complex analysis on the internet and ignore noise. "Stuff like this" is par for the course, and people with access to data have to understand that they will attract attention from people of all parts of the spectrum. Scrutiny will happen, and it's up to everyone to filter out the noise from actual, interesting, and engaging follow-up questions.

I can get behind this. It's not a big deal.

Intrigue must be misunderstanding something, because we're actually in agreement. So, shrug.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Okay, so what? What is it about the article that you find offputting? The data itself, or the assumed intent of the article? Those are two different things. I'm addressing one of those two things, I don't care about the other.

Oh, I was not underlining it in response to you. I was taking it out of context, because I agree with the logistics of the statement.

I rather enjoy reading the discourse in the sales threads from you guys. Becomes much more insightful than the standard PR jargon.

onQ123

This is where I see things getting bad for Xbox One, Not that Xbox One is doing bad but it's already $200 cheaper than it was at launch & last month it was almost outsold 2:1 by the PS4 in NA where it's doing better than all the other places it's being sold. so world wide it probably got outsold 3:1 last month , a year of this trend would put PS4 at close to 60 million going into 2017 while Xbox One is at about 26 million & it will get worse as time pass I don't think MS would want for PS4 to have close to a 50 million lead when the next Grand Theft Auto come out because devs will start to treat the market leader special when the lead is that big & that will only make things worse for Xbox One.

Is it worth it to drop the price to $249 to try and change the outcome of the next few years?

Conduit

Banned
I don't think MS would want for PS4 to have close to a 50 million lead when the next Grand Theft Auto come out because devs will start to treat the market leader special when the lead is that big & that will only make things worse for Xbox One.

You mean next RDR? :D

Intrigue

Banned
I can get behind this. It's not a big deal.

Intrigue must be misunderstanding something, because we're actually in agreement. So, shrug.

Might be, if so apologies, the way I read it looked like you were defending the insane logic/spin from the Ubisoft thread.

I will blame ESL
English is my Second Language

Fady K

Bias is one of these stupid words I don't like, just like agenda or "I checked your post history".
Sounds like you are an astroturfer if you only have a personal preference.
As long as they add something to the discussion it's completely okay if they personally prefer one product over the other (or the other other). And if they can transform this into arguments that's fine as long as they can tolerate other opinions, too. I prefer a productive meltdown from an engaged salesGaffer every day of the week over someone just lurking, posting "lol" and disappearing again.
These sales-threads are quite unique as felt 75% of the thread is not really connected to the title. Instead it's a great roundup of all themes sales related, retail, digital, US, worldwide and a lot of meta-content and even industry trends, analyses and outlooks. And I think part of this is that we respect each other, even if we disagree. personal attacks lead to nothing.
Except for
haha, gotcha
, who is a complete dork and deserved to rot in hell.

It's not about checking post history btw, more of a trend I realized over the course of more than a year. Again, personally preferring a platform is absolutely normal as it is down to personal taste, nothing wrong with that whatsoever. On the contrary, dont most gamers have platforms of preference because said platform caters best to their gaming tastes?

I agree with you that a thoughtful meltdown or discussion with reasoning totally beats out drive by meaningless posts, that is not my intention. Nor is a personal attack part of my agenda, I just find it funny that a poster is predictable in their impressions of sales based on the platform of their preference. I also find it incredibly naive (in my opinion) of a poster when they base a console's incredible success time and time again almost solely on the competitor's mistakes prior to launch.

Top Bottom