• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For January 2017 (We also have platform charts)

120v

Tales has "been around" longer than Yakuza. in some ways Yakuza 0 is the first game to get a legit western rollout

donny2112

The industry's dyin', Cloud.

Kind of kidding but not really.

It's just outside of the holidays that it's generally down. December was a big surprise up, for example Wonder how long the shift to holiday focused sales will be. Would think it would level out at some point.

Ashtar

Gravity Rush 2 probably would have benefitted from:
1: not releasing a demo right beside the much more visually and gameplay engaging Nier Automata demo.
2: not releasing a demo, period.

I don't know anyone from my group of friends that liked it or gave it a warmer reception than Meh.
This might actually be true, at least the second part
It reminded me that I didn't like the way combat felt in part 1 and this didn't change that much

The Argus

Man, it's gotta irk Ubi a little to see GTAV 5 spots ahead of WD2. 2 fucking titles in the franchise have come and gone while V continues to dominate.

Branduil

Seeing NMBU+NSLU on the Wii U chart made me suddenly realize that Nintendo hasn't announced a New Super Mario Bros. title for the Switch. It'll be five years since the last NSMB title come this November...I wonder when that'll come down the pipeline.

Hopefully it's dead, replaced my Mario Maker.

Kill3r7

Man, it's gotta irk Ubi a little to see GTAV 5 spots ahead of WD2. 2 fucking titles in the franchise have come and gone while V continues to dominate.

I think what should bother Ubi and most AAA publishers more is that Rockstar has figured out a better MP Online model than them. GTAO is absolutely killing it from a financial perspective.

BKK

Neogaf sold out ... NPD threads completely neutered. Victory for massive publishers, massive loss for the average gamer.

nampad

Great job by Sony caving into all the port and sequel begging for GR2. Only took them 5 years to develop a PS4 game that did not even chart in the top 10 PS4 only NPD charts, sold like crap in the UK and had mediocre at best numbers in Japan.

Guess it is save to say that the sales numbers for the game in other regions where we did not get any numbers from are just as bad.

Great job by Sony caving into all the port and sequel begging for GR2. Only took them 5 years to develop a PS4 game that did not even chart in the top 10 PS4 only NPD charts, sold like crap in the UK and had mediocre at best numbers in Japan.

Guess it is save to say that the sales numbers for the game in other regions where we did not get any numbers from are just as bad.

At least fans enjoyed it? You're making it sound like they shouldn't have made this game; I'm glad they did.

Yes, great job by Sony for doing what they typically do with their IPs. Revolutionary stuff.

And not only that, the director of GR2 is already working on a new game. How could you Sony?

Yea screw you Sony for a taking a risk for what you 100% knew was for a minor fanbase, how dare you make them ppl happy .

What a bizarre thing to be salty about.

LotusHD

Banned

P2iBGjs.gif

Lol, I love when a game's mere existence actually makes someone mad.

Lifeline

No Gravity Rush 2, no Yakuza 0, no Tales of Beseria, no Digimon.

I guess Microsoft was right to abandon Japanese exclusives.

What a bizarre thing to be salty about.

He has a point. This NPD kinda proves how pointless it is for Sony to invest their first party into niche games like this. Even if they review well, they're not going to sell nearly enough.

This is coming from someone who liked Gravity Rush Remastered

No Gravity Rush 2, no Yakuza 0, no Tales of Beseria, no Digimon.

I guess Microsoft was right to abandon Japanese exclusives.
Did Microsoft abandon them or did they abandon Microsoft because as I recall Phil tweeted just this week he was in Japan talking to publishers..Try again

They fill out a niche, they add to a lineup, they cater to specific people bringing them into the eco system,they add variety to a platform.

pa22word

Lol @ dr4 being a total bomb and not even charting on xbone list

It might not even hit 1 million eofy now. 2 million kind of seems like a joke in hindsight. I hope all the effort you put into destroying any sense of identity to the series and turning it into some boring ass everyman's action game was worth it, Capcom.

nampad

Are you saying this as a jilted Vita fan?

Yes, I am pissed that Sony abandoned the Vita and moved everything to PS4, even though I own a PS4 since launch.

Exactly, dude's acting like he deserves an award or something lol

That would make sense, pretty weird to single out GR of all things...

People acted like the Vita had "no games" while they constantly port begged for the Vita exclusives. They were sure those games would sell better on PS4 when they weren't being dragged down by the failure that was the Vita. In the end, Tearaway and Gravity Rush also failed on PS4.

Yes, the Vita failed pretty bad and Gravity Rush 2 on Vita would have never been a big success either but from a return on investment perspective, it would have probably done just as well because they wouldn't have needed 5 years to develop it for merely additional units sold.

You can't sweep all Japanese exclusives under the rug.

Bloodborne, Kingdom Hearts, and apparently NiOh (February) have done pretty well, and I'm sure Persona 5 will too.

Capcom going platform exclusive with Dead Rising and Street Fighter was obviously a mistake, unless the money given to them by MS and Sony offset the loss of revenue. Of course, with the decisions made to the fundamental package offered by those titles, it's hard to argue they would've done significantly better with more exposure.

These recent flops indicate that Shenmue 3 is probably not going to set the world on fire.

You can't sweep all Japanese exclusives under the rug.

Bloodborne, Kingdom Hearts, and apparently NiOh (February) have done pretty well, and I'm sure Persona 5 will too.

Capcom going platform exclusive with Dead Rising and Street Fighter was obviously a mistake, unless the money given to them by MS and Sony offset the loss of revenue. Of course, with the decisions made to the fundamental package offered by those titles, it's hard to argue they would've done significantly better with more exposure.

These recent flops indicate that Shenmue 3 is probably not going to set the world on fire.
Which again I'm sure the team and the fans are well aware. That won't stop ppl from being hyped that it did tho

Top Bottom