• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For January 2017 (We also have platform charts)

Sterok

3DS is a portable, not included in the console charts. This distinction will likely go away in the next year or two, unless a 3DS successor is unveiled.

So Switch will be counted as a console by NPD? I was fairly certain that would happen, but good to see confirmation. How did you decide it counted as a console?

I expect 2.8m units for Switch this year. High range of error. I also expect 4.8m combined Xbox One units across all versions (including Scorpio) and 4.6m PS4 units across all versions in the year.

I also know that the only sure thing in a forecast in the video game market is that the forecast will be wrong.

I cannot wait to see Gamespot turn this into news.

Elios83

Not much to discuss, RE7 number one was predictable but no split? Also still no hardware datas.

Shame on NA. Yakuza should be on that list.
The market making the wrong choices again. :(

Yakuza is a series that needed Sony's help just to be localized in the west, it was never supposed to be a top ten game. First month sales ausually are well below 50k.
But the most important thing is how and if the series is growing in the west, how digital sales are going and so on.
Unfortunately we won't know these details through a simple top ten chart and that's the only thing NPD is offering :/

Kill3r7

The numbers are leaked in the NPD threads but iirc the numbers were ~200k for both.

That's good to hear. I am looking forward to KH3 but to be frank I haven't played KH 1.5 or 2.5 even though I bought them. Maybe I will revisit them with the kids a few years down the road.

So Switch will be counted as a console by NPD? I was fairly certain that would happen, but good to see confirmation. How did you decide it counted as a console?

Well, didn't want to create a new "hybrid" category, so... there was a lot of discussion around where to put it. Given the market, I'm of the opinion that it's getting about that time to remove the distinctions entirely.

Who are these people still buying GTA V???

New console buyers. Strong correlation between GTAV sales and new console sales. The curves look pretty similar.

They really undershipped Yakuza 0. I couldn't find in store anywhere til a week ago

Yep. Just because a game didn't chart doesn't mean it didn't do well compared to historical benchmarks or expectations. But I have no idea what those expectations may have been.

Pokken is still 60 bucks right.

Now that I think about it, I guess 3D World being there is pretty decent considering it's $20 now.

Yep, and yep. But big fish in a pretty small pond.

I still think that in 5-10 years Wii U consoles will be really pricey on the secondary market with it having the same kind of cachet with the core the Dreamcast has. Great games on that system that many didn't play for whatever reason.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Ah crap, Gravity Rush 2 is going to become ultra expensive, isn't it

I don't have any interest in the game itself but I feel like the writing is on the wall and it'd be dumb not to get a copy to sit on for 5 years and flip for 3x the price

the post holiday drop is just terrible.

A bit of a chicken and egg thing though on the strategy though, no?

Sony had a bunch of exclusives and some really good games come out in Jan, while the Xbox One Jan slate was... sparse.

Quality new content results in console sales, so yeah the drop off sure ain't great, but don't see how it could be expected to be anything but that way?

Pachael

Yakuza 0 not even in the top 10 for PS4. That thread about a PC version is now more hilarious in hindsight saleswise huh.

People pulling numbers out of nowhere like 200k-300k or even 900k for a PC version of Yakuza 0 not knowing what the series actually typical does.

Well, Tales of Berseria did launch worldwide on Steam on Jan 27, three days after the PS4 release (thanks Bamco) so if anything that could have taken off sales too.

EDIT: Steamspy is going for 65ksales.

Microsoft with the #1 WiiU game. What a world we live in.
Release the new Mario game on Scorpio to reciprocate, Nintendo! Dreams...

Quality new content results in console sales, so yeah the drop off sure ain't great, but don't see how it could be expected to be anything but that way?
So with this flaw in strategy being so obvious, why do you think Microsoft haven't done anything about it? They may not have a sufficient number of first-party studios to fill the gaps themselves. But what's stopping them from engaging in more partnerships with third parties to bolster their schedule year-round? When they do engage in partnerships, most of those games also come out in the fall/holidays.

Linkura

DQ8 #3 on the portables charts after Pokemon isn't that depressing. Yakuza 0 not being on the PS4 top ten is though. :(

Kill3r7

Next time maybe release it in a window where there's not 5 other (and better) games to play. Really poor time to release a niche Japanese sequel to a handheld game.

You can ban publishing new games for a month and GR still will not chart. It just is not that popular. Great game but beyond niche.

Welfare

A bit of a chicken and egg thing though on the strategy though, no?

Sony had a bunch of exclusives and some really good games come out in Jan, while the Xbox One Jan slate was... sparse.

True. Just an observation on post holiday performance.

Thanks to the XB1S I wonder how many more months there will be of "best sales ever". Only months for the first half of the year I think won't be passed is March and June as March 2014 had Titanfall and June 2015 had the launch of the 1TB model. I think both months will see YoY growth from 2016, so that would still be a success.

Interesting questions.

You raise some interesting questions. I'm sure you understand why I can't speculate on them.

True. Just an observation on post holiday performance.

Thanks to the XB1S I wonder how many more months there will be of "best sales ever". Only months for the first half of the year I think won't be passed is March and June as March 2014 had Titanfall and June 2015 had the launch of the 1TB model. I think both months will see YoY growth from 2016, so that would still be a success.

On a unit basis you make all the sense.

LotusHD

Banned
Like gravity rush 2?

P2iBGjs.gif

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I expect Minecraft will do very well on the Switch as well. Especially if they get it out during the holidays. In other words Minecraft is going to Minecraft.

I feel kinda bad; I bought Minecraft for my Wii U late last year when one of the Visa Checkout promotions was running but since I was moving at the time my Wii U is in storage (and still is)

By the time I get around to playing the game the Switch version will be out. Whoops.

You raise some interesting questions. I'm sure you understand why I can't speculate on them.
Darn, was hoping at least for some blue-sky theorizing. I don't think that's untoward for an analyst. But I do get that it might be imprudent or step on toes that are better kept comfy. I sometimes curtail my own analytical flights (in a different market/ambit) for the same reason.

Top Bottom