• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2015 [Up1: Nintendo numbers, PS4 placing]

I can see God of War 3 remake topping the July charts. I know a lot of people waiting for it including myself.
Huge fan of the franchise and GoW3 is my favorite game from last gen.
Congrats to bloodborne, you deserve a lot more sales. Amazing game and in my opinion the best game this gen.

allan-bh

GAF retail says it isn't. where's your evidence stating otherwise?

Please, in what world did you live? PS4 was widely available on holiday.

You are creating a fantasy when PS4 was severely supply constrained and sold all supply. There's not remotly true.

Faustek

That would have been riskier honestly. Making a named sequel to an old game not many played, plus having it be in a completely different and unrelated universe with completely different gameplay... Not seeing that working out. :p

Yepp, I fully agree. By making a new IP was the risk instead of making Dark Souls 3 Umbasa and naming it DeS2. I'm personally very happy that they did this in Victorian style instead of taking the comfortable, well known and easy path.

vin-buc

Halo 5 being a late October release could help them take three months out of the year as opposed to two last year (assuming they keep bundling with other games all throughout the holidays). The interesting thing will be if Sony pulls the trigger and does a drop to $299 after eighteen months the way they did with PS2. What does Microsoft do in that case? $299 with multiple games? $279.99?

Seems like we are in a pattern of PS4 taking the lead for three fourths of the year, with Xbox One selling more in the last three months. Microsoft will have more games coming out by sheer virtue of how little they publish in prior to October. So maybe this time the gap closes by quite a bit more than 500K, but will have been larger to begin with, and the worldwide sales gap continues to grow. Barring some unexpected price drop out of the usual E3 cycle, this year seems pretty predictable until October. All of the big games until then are multiplatform. September could be another 300K+ gap if MGS V gets pushed alongside PS4 the way Destiny was.

How is there a pattern? Holiday 2014 was the first holiday with no stock limitations. Also, if we did entertain this pattern - it would be negated by the launch as PS4 won one month and XB1 won another in 2013.

I think the pattern to question is will XB1 deeply drop the price and bundle games again. They were forced to do that last year to win one/two months (important ones at that). So they got that hand forced. And that's the true wildcard, the potential ace in Sony's hole. If they can bring it down to $299 with a game, I think they win every month on out - Halo won't matter.

I don't think they'll go that low but that would make NpD's EPIQ!

Wait you really think there was no PS4 inventory left this past holiday? Lol...

I worked in retail last holiday and that's a bold faced lie.

scroll back to what I said. It didn't sell out like the previous holiday, but inventory levels were very low, according to the january sales thread. I've linked the posts.

Were there no sales to be had anywhere? obviously not, consoles could be found. but there weren't 600K extra units floating around the US for sony to sell.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Alot of people go digital on PS4.

I don't get this argument. Have there been sources/articles that more people go digital on PS4? I see it said a lot but may have missed an article, so I'm genuinely curious.

Geg

lmao I can't believe people are still port begging for Type-0 as if that somehow would have helped it. Does anyone honestly think it would have sold better on the Vita than on PS4/Xbone?

ZhugeEX

Banned
I don't get this argument. Have there been sources/articles that more people go digital on PS4? I see it said a lot but may have missed an article, so I'm genuinely curious.

A lot of people go digital on PS4 compared to last gen. But it's not like PC where the majority is digital. The overwhelming majority of game sales come through packaged software units sold at retail.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
A lot of people go digital on PS4. But it's not like PC where the majority is digital. The overwhelming majority of game sales come through packaged software units sold at retail.

I understand this, but the comment about BF was that XB1 was the lead platform because "a lot of people go digital on PS4." Why, then, aren't other games like CoD the same way?

ZhugeEX

Banned
I understand this, but the comment about BF was that XB1 was the lead platform because "a lot of people go digital on PS4." Why, then, aren't other games like CoD the same way?

Oh right.

Well bundles come into it. Digital may factor in a bit. Also the older a game is the more likely we may see a switch in positions for one month or so. Also the genre plays a huge role.

ethomaz

Banned
A lot of people go digital on PS4 compared to last gen. But it's not like PC where the majority is digital. The overwhelming majority of game sales come through packaged software units sold at retail.
I don't believe digital sales crossed 20% of retail sales in consoles yet... and I'm being optimistic... it is more close to 10%.

Just saw this thread... those Minecraft numbers. I remember in the thread about MS buying Mojang, there was some sentiment that Minecraft was a fad that was over. And every month since then, still in the top ten. And that's even before Minecraft 2... Minecraft Star Wars Edition, Harry Potter Edition, Lego Edition, or whatever other licensed branding they do a la the Lego Series. Good for MS and Mojang.

GTA V again... must be getting close to 50m. It was 45m in mid Jan, right, and since then... maybe another three-quarter mil on consoles? Mil and a half on PC? I can see it breaking 50M LTD this year.

Dsyndrome

lmao I can't believe people are still port begging for Type-0 as if that somehow would have helped it. Does anyone honestly think it would have sold better on the Vita than on PS4/Xbone?

It wouldn't have been $60, that's for sure.

Akhe

Pie-Pyramid-620x311.png

GIF-amazed-astonished-blown-away-classic-Italian-Spiderman-jaw-drop-mind-blown-no-way-o-face-OMG-point-pointing-revelation-shocked-stunned-sudden-clarity-GIF.gif

Well done, sir.

allan-bh

He did not say there was no inventory left. He said that there was not 600k inventory left in the US so Sony could not have won even if they did sell all their inventory.

He said that PS4 sales are determined by supply and not by demand.

There wasn't 600k consoles left (I suppose) but this doesn't matter because there wasn't demand for buy 600k extras consoles.

Halo 5 being a late October release could help them take three months out of the year as opposed to two last year (assuming they keep bundling with other games all throughout the holidays). The interesting thing will be if Sony pulls the trigger and does a drop to $299 after eighteen months the way they did with PS2. What does Microsoft do in that case? $299 with multiple games? $279.99?

Seems like we are in a pattern of PS4 taking the lead for three fourths of the year, with Xbox One selling more in the last three months.
Microsoft will have more games coming out by sheer virtue of how little they publish in prior to October. So maybe this time the gap closes by quite a bit more than 500K, but will have been larger to begin with, and the worldwide sales gap continues to grow. Barring some unexpected price drop out of the usual E3 cycle, this year seems pretty predictable until October. All of the big games until then are multiplatform. September could be another 300K+ gap if MGS V gets pushed alongside PS4 the way Destiny was.

One year is a pattern? You might want to see how this Fall plays out before jumping to that conclusion.

Xbox as a brand has a very strong shooter crowd, I don't see any reason at all as to why people are shocked in an NPD thread that Hardline sold better on XB1. This is not EU or Japan where PS4 is slapping around XB1 like an abusive boyfriend, sales are pretty even in NA and don't think they even exceed 1 million. The question is how other games will do on both system now that we are starting to get some current generation only heavy hitters coming out.

Whenever it is announced, Fallout 4 sales in NA on XB1 and PS4 will be hugely interesting because Skyrim sold a huge amount more on Xbox 360 than PS3, WRPG in general sold really well on Xbox platforms. On the more immediate term, Witcher 3 is coming out and with the co-marketing it's obvious MS want to ensure they maintain a strong WRPG crowd. Witcher 3 won't be a big game so might not be the best example but not much else I can think of until Fallout 4 hits on the WRPG side.

Mooreberg

How is there a pattern? Holiday 2014 was the first holiday with no stock limitations. Also, if we did entertain this pattern - it would be negated by the launch as PS4 won one month and XB1 won another in 2013.

I think the pattern to question is will XB1 deeply drop the price and bundle games again. They were forced to do that last year to win one/two months (important ones at that). So they got that hand forced. And that's the true wildcard, the potential ace in Sony's hole. If they can bring it down to $299 with a game, I think they win every month on out - Halo won't matter.

I don't think they'll go that low but that would make NpD's EPIQ!
I wouldn't include 2013 as part of any pattern simply because there were no non-holiday months for consoles launching that year. We basically agree as it is. How Xbox One performs for the holidays this year is going to ride on Halo 5, pricing, and bundling. Those to me are the months that could be up in the air even if PS4 goes down to $299 (Microsoft will match accordingly). Until then... I think PS4 wins every month. The other reason I use the word "pattern" is that this is the second consecutive year where Sony spreads their first party releases out throughout the year, and Microsoft either deliberately or inadvertently puts everything out at the end of the year. It is almost like there is no direct competition as far as publishing goes for most of the year.

One year is a pattern? You might want to see how this Fall plays out before jumping to that conclusion.
Well, Xbox One selling more in the fall is exactly what I'm expecting.

ascii42

He did not say there was no inventory left. He said that there was not 600k inventory left in the US so Sony could not have won even if they did sell all their inventory.

Along with the PS4 selling more, the XB1 would have sold less, so they wouldn't need that many.

gimmmick

Impressive to say the least that MLB charted for only being on sale for a day lol.

I fully expect Mortal Kombat X to take the #1 game next month.

We don't have facts to say that PS4 owners buy more retail games in digital form.

We don't have facts to say that last holiday the PS4 would have sold more units had the Xbox One remained at 500$, either.

The fact is(at least as reported) Battlefield: Hardline has more PS4 players than Xbox One during US prime time, even if Xbox One sold more.

So where are those players coming from? European players playing at 4 am? Australians playing mid-afternoon?

Top Bottom