• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2015 [Up1: Nintendo numbers, PS4 placing]

Faustek

I didn't think Smartphones sell console hardware, but Iwata acts like they will do, so IDK.

It is perhaps a stretch yes. Most people(those that only play on Smartphones) will probably be content with the Games they make for the Smartphones but at the same times perhaps there will be people who buys into the Nintendo hw ecosystem. At the same time we shouldn't ignore that perhaps there are also people that will leave the Nintendo hw ecosystem because they can get whatever they need from the Smartphone versions yes.
Anyway, we will see. Hoping for the best.

RexNovis

Banned
Because it will make bigger splash, and it makes more sense too.

Stealth Edit: Shit! I get a tag.

It appears we have both been branded in this thread. Let us wear them with pride so that all may see no one is infallible.

This has to be a record for most tags in an NPD thread surely?

I want a tag.... I want to feel special :(

You can have mine. Please take it. I insist.

It appears we have both been branded in this thread. Let us wear them with pride so that all may see no one is infallible.

You can have mine. Please take it. I insist.

Oh man that tag is rough my condolences.

Oh boy, I remember that. They got you too Rex.

You guys (Chobel included) should learn not to name games bomb worthy when they are not.

Edit: I should make a bet next NPD, everybody is getting tags now.

Amir0x

Banned
I honestly didn't really like Tearaway much.

But I guess I bought it at retail, so I contributed to the NPD, regardless.

This character should not be banned but placed into a new user group where whenever they say the word "Tearaway", the post converts to a written message saying "THIS GAME IS AWESOME" which is a link to this youtube video. No conflict of interest here, no-sir-ree. Definitely not targeting anyone

pixelation

Italian spiderman guy. He did another one of those in another famous gif but i cant find it

post-31529-italian-spiderman-surprised-sh-l7H4.gif

here

Thanks a lot guys!, and sorry for the late ass reply...

Welp, looks like the PS4 declined month over month, so much for Bloodborne being a system seller I guess, lol. But Bloodborne bombing shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone outside the Sony-GAF echo chamber.

The game is full of cheap design. I played the game at a friend's house, and the very first enemy will two-shot you really easily. To add insult to injury, you deal like two damage per attack you do. You have to hit him like 50 times to kill him.

That bit's easy, you just need to keep mashing Circle for 3 days.

April is a low sales month for hardware. Both consoles will go down and gap will be closer.

I hate to break it to you but Amazon sales trends so far this month compared to March means you will be mistaken regarding the gap.

Certainly, percentage-wise, it looks like there'll be a bigger gap than this NPD. Crazy when you consider you can get a free game with XB1 and it's £50 cheaper.

Orgen

Still bullshit. The game actually sold over a mil in just 10 days ww.
http://gematsu.com/2015/04/bloodborne-sales-top-one-million-worldwide

Also and same.

Btw perhaps we could start a trend where we post sources when we're telling people they are wrong? Will be much easier for both parties when someone is either smoking some good shit or just believes in fairies.

Do you know who Bruno MB is? I don't think so.

I don't know where the digital number originates from but the Japanese sales are from M-C threads, the UK numbers are a very good extrapolation from PAL threads and the NPD number was given here.

And btw, Japan+US+UK =/= the whole world ;)

Ty4on

have we got VITA numbers for March?

If revenue per handheld console is flat then very similar to last year (10k). YoY 3DS sales went up almost 80% for the first three months and handheld revenue went up 71% YoY in March. YoY 3DS sales seem to be up by 58-68% (using 75-79% range).

I'm guessing Vita sales are slightly up YoY, especially as the price is 200 instead of 250 and the normal 3DS XL is now 175.

Edit: Using $250 for 2014 Vita, $200 for 2015 Vita and $190 for 2014 and 2015 3DS then using 3DS sales at 267k (up 79%) I get 26k for the Vita. The range is huge though as using $200 for 3DS gives me 12.6k for the Vita.

allan-bh

I hate to break it to you but Amazon sales trends so far this month compared to March means you will be mistaken regarding the gap.

Certainly, percentage-wise, it looks like there'll be a bigger gap than this NPD. Crazy when you consider you can get a free game with XB1 and it's £50 cheaper.

Well, I was thinking about sales number, not about percentage.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Haven't kept up with the thread, but earlier in the thread there was a question about player base for Battlefield and an attempt to explain the sales differences and the currently playing multiplayer differences.

I just wanted to add two graphs as only snapshots of current players have been used.

Hope this helps:

Data is not up to the minute accurate.
Source: bf4stats.com, bfhstats.com

Whilst the Japanese market has seen a big decline the rest of the world has picked up the slack. Whilst no one market can truly match Japan, the Middle East, South and South East Asia and other developing markets are doing a good job.

So if Japan's console market was about as strong as it was during the PS2 then the PS4 might have done better than the PS2 during the holiday?

ZhugeEX

Banned
Do you know who Bruno MB is? I don't think so.

I don't know where the digital number originates from but the Japanese sales are from M-C threads, the UK numbers are a very good extrapolation from PAL threads and the NPD number was given here.

And btw, Japan+US+UK =/= the whole world ;)

The digital number is an estimate from SuperData. I wouldn't use it as an accurate number but more as a guide.

Haven't kept up with the thread, but earlier in the thread there was a question about player base for Battlefield and an attempt to explain the sales differences and the currently playing multiplayer differences.

I just wanted to add two graphs as only snapshots of current players have been used.

Hope this helps:

Data is not up to the minute accurate.
Source: bf4stats.com, bfhstats.com

Wow, PS4 is way up there. PC has a really low player count, kinda weird.

ZhugeEX

Banned
So if Japan's console market was about as strong as it was during the PS2 then the PS4 might have done better than the PS2 during the holiday?

Potentially.

Japan Holiday (Nov 24th 2014 - Jan 4th 2015) sales for PlayStation 4 exceeded 200,000 units sold through to end users. So yes, this pales in comparison to the 1.1 million units that the PlayStation 2 sold through during holiday 2001 and even the 0.4 million units during the supply constrained holiday 2000.

In fact, please take a look at this post below-

The PS4's first holiday season for example can be the end of 2014 where Sony sold through 4.1 million units to end users between November 23rd 2014 and January 4th 2015. The console had been released in over 123 countries and regions at this time. Including the whole of November, sell through exceeded 1.9 million units during the final two months of the year in North America.

The Sony PlayStation 2 saw its first proper holiday season at the end of 2001, a year after it had been released in North America and Europe. The console sold through more than 5.3 million units worldwide between November 26th 2001 and January 6th 2002. This is compared to 4.1 million PlayStation 4 consoles during the same time period in 2014. Going back to the PS2, Japan saw 1.1 million units sold, North America with approximately 2.5 million and Europe with over 1.7 million. Including the whole month of November, total sales exceeded 6.85 million units to end users in the final two months of the year with the USA accounting for 2.9 million alone.

The Sony PlayStation 3 saw its first holiday season at the end of 2007 with 1.5 million units sold through to end users in North America and Japan (excluding Europe) between November 23rd and December 31st. Including the whole month of November, total sell through exceeded 1.4 million in North America. Worldwide sell through figures are not available for the PlayStation 3 during its first holiday season.

The Sony PlayStation 2's second holiday season ran from November 3rd 2002 through to January 5th 2003. During this period Sony sold through more than 8.5 million units to end users breaking all records for console sell through at the time. North America accounted for more than 4 million units, Europe accounted for more than 3.4 million units whilst Japan saw sales of 940,000 for the final two months of the year.

The Sony PlayStation 3's second holiday season ran from November 23rd through to December 29th 2008. Worldwide sell through for the console exceeded 2.2 million units with North America accounting for almost 1 million units alone. Total sell through for the final two months of 2008 exceeded 1.1 million units in North America.

The Sony PlayStation 2's third holiday season ran from November 2nd 2003 through to the 4th of January 2004. Worldwide sell through to end users exceeded 7.83 million during this period with 2.94 million units sold through in North America, 3.56 million in Europe and 1.11 million sold in Japan. To compare, the last two months of 2001 saw 6.85 million units sold through, the last two months of 2002 saw 8.5 million units sold through and the last two months of 2003 saw 7.83 million units sold through.

The Sony PlayStation 3 saw more than 3.8 million units sold through worldwide during its third holiday season which ran from November 23rd 2009 through to December 28th 2009. This huge boost in sales can be attributed to the new slim PS3 which launched at a lower price as well as great software titles such as Uncharted 2 which sold more than 3 million units before the end of the year.

Whilst the PS4 has easily beaten PS3 holiday sales for 2007 and also peak sales for the PS3 in 2009/11 it has failed to match the PS2's first holiday season.

Orgen

The digital number is an estimate from SuperData. I wouldn't use it as an accurate number but more as a guide.

I see, thanks! I missed the SuperData estimation but as you say it could be used as a guide to see the digital attach rate.

Anyway, the numbers Bruno posted seem to correlate very well with the 1 million sold news.

maxiell

If Battlefield:Hardline wasn't being sold at $32, I think Bloodborne would have had the highest individual sku.

I wonder if EA will try this next year when Battlefield 5 goes up against Infinity Ward's new Modern Warfare to grab marketshare.

Tearaway have just sold 75k at retail?

Well that is the closest we can come to a heinous crime in the general market. Perhaps you're telling yourself that you don't want to buy a Vita,

I bought a Vita and Tearaway for my 9 year old granddaughter's Xmas.

She liked it, but it was over pretty fast.
She has spent more time with Touch My Katamari--which she has borrowed from Me.

I'm still trying to find another retail game for her. I suppose I should just let her create an account and download something from the store, but then she would need a bigger memory card.

ascii42

I bought a Vita and Tearaway for my 9 year old granddaughter's Xmas.

She liked it, but it was over pretty fast.
She has spent more time with Touch My Katamari--which she has borrowed from Me.

I'm still trying to find another retail game for her. I suppose I should just let her create an account and download something from the store, but then she would need a bigger memory card.

LittleBigPlanet PSVita is really good. Lego Batman 3 was a pretty good leap for Lego games on the Vita. What size memory card does she have? A lot of games, like Minecraft, don't take up much space.

Servbot24

Banned
Tearaway is an absolutely wonderful game but it's certainly not perfect. It feels like an extremely polished proof of concept. Put that on a handheld with a tiny userbase and yeah, it's not going to sell much.

I really hope they push the platforming aspects on the PS4 title.

Chobel

Oh boy, I remember that. They got you too Rex.

You guys (Chobel included) should learn not to name games bomb worthy when they are not.
Lesson learned, nothing is 100% sure in this industry and looks can be deceiving.

Probably, while the other NPD threads got more people tagged, it's usually only one tag...
banned

NickFire

If Battlefield:Hardline wasn't being sold at $32, I think Bloodborne would have had the highest individual sku.

I wonder if EA will try this next year when Battlefield 5 goes up against Infinity Ward's new Modern Warfare to grab marketshare.

Is battlefield 5 really coming out this year when battlefront is already set for release? That seems silly.

nib95

Banned
Do we have a specific number for Bloodborne yet? Nothing in the OP, and not sure if anyone has posted it somewhere in the thread.

Monthly and LTD
BpXsCsd.png
Looking at the LTD, at what percentage will many developers and third party publishers start to think the bone marketshare won't be worth it? Will the gap widen fast enough that we'll see this before the gen's end?
Its only a 4 percent difference and porting costs are minimal. That moment won't come for a long time.

So no big difference, no large margin leader and no point in 3rd parties going exclusive since they can make money on both fronts since the bone marketshare is hardly insignificant.

Quite amazing looking at the amount of things bone has/d going against it.

So no big difference, no large margin leader and no point in 3rd parties going exclusive since they can make money on both fronts since the bone marketshare is hardly insignificant.

Quite amazing looking at the amount of things bone has/d going against it.

I don't think the point will ever come for Western devs this generation. Japanese devs are a different story.

The XB1 would have to completely tank and/or be discontinued for Western devs to stop supporting it.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Yeah right now October looks to be an Xbox win.

I'd say it's anybody's game right now. Especially as Halo is end of the month.

Who knows what will happen between now and then anyway, we could see another Xbox price drop or perhaps PlayStations first price drop.

Or maybe It won't be PS4 or One but Wii U that takes the crown!

Top Bottom