• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For March 2017 [Up2: Year to date charts, platform specific charts]

Bruno MB

I can't remember when was the last month outside Christmas that 4 new releases debuted selling above 1 million units. I know reading John Harker post that Mass Effect Andromeda is a bit below that mark, but still impressive nonetheless.

Also, it looks like Nier: Automata could be in the 200,000 range based on it being above 1-2 Switch and Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5. Since these charts are by revenue + digital it is hard to measure units sales. 172,000 for 1-2 Switch but it is cheaper than Nier: Automata so if this chart was by units maybe the placements would be a bit different. But well, at least we can say that its debut is miles ahead of Nier which couldn't even reach 20,000 units between PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

elelunicy

That means over 40% plus on DD .
Just goes to show how fast consoles DD is growing.
We might be seeing near 60% to 65% DD rate by the end of this gen ( thinking 2 years from now)
Over 40%? Even using the minimum physical number (648k), DD could be as low as 35.2%.

Physically or combined with digital ? If the former, that would put it's sales at around the 910K mark not including digital. That's a pretty good result.
Even 910k includes digital, adding Origin sales could certainly push it over 1 million.

spekkeh

Banned
So Switch launched higher than XB1 in the USA? I know supply constrained different number of weeks but still

7lZwLKc.jpg

Chobel

I feel like there's no way I can answer that question without like, enflaming people haha. Mass effect looks to be down about 30% from me3?

Overall a good month tho, just my opinion but seeing growth is always good.

Nintendo put up some really strung stuff

Thanks!

Another question: earlier this year, you said that you expect For Honor to outsell GR: Wildlands, however we're seeing the opposite here. Obviously you had metrics and data to support your prediction, and it was also before the beta, so my question is: Do you think the beta was just that hugely positive? Or was it some other hidden parameter(s) you didn't account for?

So HZD sold 600k in an entire month...

>200k Germany
>200k UK
>200k Japan
>600k USA

That's ~1350k in a month but it supposedly sold 3M in two weeks LOL, not buying it.

Except that if Sony gives out false information which can mislead investors that is illegal?

I am not an expert but i believe those countries together represent at least 2/3 of the entire market.

Now looking again at Sonys PR, they said 2.6m sold not 3m.. that's my bad, i really think those numbers might be possible with a very high digital sales ratio. Anyways, the game was front-loaded af so we won't be discussing it for much more time

Lol, and you have the gall to accuse other people of being salty! I think you need to back this claim up otherwise you're clearly just speculating bullshit.

You're very concerned about Horizon though, to the point when you're claiming Sony lied about its sales numbers.

graywolf323

Horizon and MLB in the top 5 w/o digital sales? that's awesome, glad to see both doing so well

also that despite all the terrible press at release that Mass Effect still sold well, it has it's issues but I'm still hoping for Mass Effect: Andromeda 2

vivekTO

Happy for Horizon , Its great to see new IPs getting success!! Need more of this type of effort from other studios. Congrats to guerrilla as well!!

This is the third or fourth consecutive month that PC physical and Steam sales for participating publishers have dropped significantly. No-one finds that worrying?

Gurish

Disappointed that Wildlands is destroying the competition like that, even the PS4 version alone sold more than Horizon, I'm clearly out of touch with that one.

And who sold more consoles for this month Sony or MS?

Disappointed that Wildlands is destroying the competition like that, even the PS4 version alone sold more than Horizon, I'm clearly out of touch with that one.

And who sold more consoles for this month Sony or MS?

If Horizon sold 1 million including digital are we sure the PS4 version of Ghost Recon outsold it?

tzare

Considering this high % of digital sales, i wonder if switch software will have a similar behaviour in the future.

geordiemp

Physical we do (see the chart in the OP), we don't know digital+physical totals.

Yeah its strange times when we dont know for sure who was 1st 2nd or 3rd in software for the month due to the very high potential of digital.

Its likely Horizon was at least second if counting digital

sphinx

the piano man
seriously, the whole HZD topic is quite embarrasing.

it's CLEARLY a success for Sony and Guerrilla G. it's not even up for debate or discussion.

and I am not sure why'd anyone be butthurt about it.

Zelda sold more and has higher metacritic,, it's that not enough for fanboys?

Zedark

Yeah its strange times when we dont know for sure who was 1st 2nd or 3rd in software for the month due to the very high potential of digital.

Its likely Horizon was at least second if counting digital
Not really, Zelda is >1.3 million, so Horizon would still be below it. ME:A could be beaten, though.

Zedark

[honest question] If horizon sold 1 mil in US in a month and a couple days

Is horizon press of 2.6 million world wide in 14 days curious or completely believable?
Completely believable. First and foremost, it is a criminaliteit offence to lie to investors, so the statement must be true, and secondly, the US has proven to be a relatively small amount of the total market for Sony, at least compared to most other publishers.

Physical we do (see the chart in the OP), we don't know digital+physical totals.

Yeah I know we do for physical, but if HZD did over around 350k digital it was very likely the highest selling PS4 game for the month. Seriously doubt Ghost Recon sold over 1 million on PS4 alone.

samar11

I think it will be hard to beat the Star Wars hype this holiday season. The Last Jedi is going to be everywhere.

Especially being the last movie with Carrie Fisher in it.

PS4 is going to do behemoth numbers, I think it will easily sell the month this Holiday season. They got the battlefront 2 marketing deal as well as Destiny 2, COD, RDR2..

Did you actually click the link?

Yes.

It doesn't disprove what I said.

I imagine the confusion is that you think the 1.3m that nintendo said last week was physical only. But if you read the fine print they are including digital in the "over 1.3m" statement. Not the first time Nintendo has done that.

Yes.

I imagine the confusion is that you think the 1.3m that nintendo said last week was physical only. But if you read the fine print they are including digital in the "over 1.3m" statement. Not the first time Nintendo has done that.

There's no confusion on my end. You edited your previous post after my reply.

AniHawk

Yes.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...ch-Fastest-Selling-Video-Game-System-Nintendo

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild game sold over 1.3 million units*. That total includes more than 925,000 units sold for Nintendo Switch and nearly 460,000 units sold for the Wii U console.

*Data regarding physical sales of games are from the NPD Group. Data regarding digital downloads of games and combined physical/digital life-to-date numbers are from Nintendo’s internal sales figures. All numbers, unless otherwise stated, are specific to the United States only.

switch = 925,000
wii u = 460,000
total = 1,385,000

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
We don't get pies anymore though:(

Thats fine, I'll take a lil dash of salt.

Lol 4 Out of those 6 are Multiplattform.

Yes, but:

Doesn't really matter when your console is considered the "default" platform for the biggest games of the year.

Destiny and RDR are gonna EAT this fall.

I think his point is they'll be bundle games. Destiny 1 has probably sold more PS4s than any exclusive has, not unreasonable to think the by far 4 biggest games of the year will move PS4s.
Exclusives are nice, but I hope ppl arent forgetting 3rd party games move systems too, if not more so than exclusives.

Congrats Nintendo, Xbox third this month?.

Somebody has to come in 3rd, lol. The Wii U is dead, and I dont even know where the 3DS is. Where is the 3DS at now that the Switch is selling so well? Anyone in the know care to respond?

Have to laugh at that guy earlier in the thread going on about how Sony's exclusives can't do over a million in the NPD. That's gotta be the fastest serving of crow ever haha

God damn, LOL!!

seriously, the whole HZD topic is quite embarrasing.

it's CLEARLY a success for Sony and Guerrilla G. it's not even up for debate or discussion.

and I am not sure why'd anyone be butthurt about it.

Zelda sold more and has higher metacritic,, it's that not enough for fanboys?

Neva..

Zedark

Thanks, was looking for that to quote the asterisk, but couldn't find the original press release thaf you did find.
Exactly.

So we don't know how much the Wii U version sold physicaly.
1.3 million minus 900k equals 400k. I didn't claim to know the numbers to the thousands exact for physical, so the evidence presente does show this to the closest accuracy we can get.

Thanks, was looking for that to quote the asterisk, but couldn't find the original press release thaf you did find.

1.3 million minus 900k equals 400k. I didn't claim to know the numbers to the thousands exact for physical, so the evidence presente does show this to the closest accuracy we can get.

The over 1.3 million statement that Nintendo made includes digital sales.

It literally says it right there in Anihawks post above.

We know 900k physical on switch. we know 925k physical and digital on switch.

We know 460k physical and digital on wii u. we do not know Wii U physical only.

bombshell

Has Horizon done well enough to get a sequel starring Aloy?

I'm curious if they're happy with launching late feb, it seems sales have been solid but maybe not smashing internal forecasts?

About that last part, there's a simple question you can always ask yourself in these situations: Did we get a press release with sales numbers for this particular game? If yes, it exceeded internal expectations.

That's a yes in Horizon's case.

Lol you guys are so salty wtf...

I am not an expert but i believe those countries together represent at least 2/3 of the entire market.

Now looking again at Sonys PR, they said 2.6m sold not 3m.. that's my bad, i really think those numbers might be possible with a very high digital sales ratio. Anyways, the game was front-loaded af so we won't be discussing it for much more time

It was so frontloaded that last week, almost 2 months after launch, it was still the #3 bestselling SKU in UK in the individual formats chart.........

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index....p&ct=110032&arch=t&lyr=2017&year=2017&week=15

You admit you're not an expert, so maybe don't post about it then... Or keep posting, your posts are good for laughs.

NEO0MJ

It's kidna crazy how Nier outsold (or at least equaled) the Order 1886 in the NPD.

Disappointing position for HZD. Was hoping it would be higher.

This was a very competitive month, and games aren't bought as heavily in this period. I feel it might be an evergreen title, however.

Top Bottom