• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

prag16

Banned
Use this:

2vMjt9F.png

50K off Vita, PS4, and Wii U.
No matter how poorly I do, I can always count on chartzzz to do much worse. -_-

LOCK

This is the article I was referring to: http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/13/r...t-nintendo-is-doing-for-a-comeback-interview/

Reggie's quote: We announced not just that we’ve sold 1.2 million units on a global basis, but we announced to the financial community here in the United States that Mario Kart 8 has increased the sell-through of the Wii U hardware business by a factor of four. In the two weeks prior to the launch, versus what we’ve seen now following the launch, we’re selling at a daily rate four times higher than where we were before.

So Ani could be right.... around 5k a day. O_0

Well it is Mario Kart.

TsuWave

Sunset Overdrive isn't getting made without MS, so Insomniac chose just fine.

where was this confirmed? I thought they said the reason was because they wanted to keep the rights to the IP?

on topic: not surprised by the results. next month shall be more interesting.

Tratorn

I certainly don't consider less than 200k with a Watch Dogs bundle "good" personnally.

Well, afaik may sales are usually lower than april, so it helped the PS4 at least to stay flat. Imo it was a given that MK8 would help the WiiU much more than WD the PS4, esspecially since the WiiU numbers normally are so low that they can get boosted easily.

Edit: Wait...is the graph suggesting that X1 and WU will stabilize soon at a constant rate, while PS4 will just linearly grow at 200k pace?

No, thats not how data works - its not suggesting anything, its showing what is
EDIT:
You can make your own suggestions and extrapolate from that data, of course.

I'm curious in June NPD numbers purely to see how exactly Reggie was spinning that number. Because I don't expect we'll see the Wii U selling 200K in June.

I'm going to guess that the week of Monday the 30th, sales were 4x higher than the weeks prior, which with 25K people collecting their bundles isn't implausible, and thus the average daily rate of sales was 4x higher. Which matches what Gibson tweeted about a 4.1x week/week increase, if the daily rate was 4x when Reggie was interviewed then the week over week increase should have been much higher upon MK8's release week.

"Prove me wrong, kids. Prove me wrong."

Tomohawk

I'm curious in June NPD numbers purely to see how exactly Reggie was spinning that number. Because I don't expect we'll see the Wii U selling 200K in June.

I'm going to guess that the week of Monday the 30th, sales were 4x higher than the weeks prior, which with 25K people collecting their bundles isn't implausible, and thus the average daily rate of sales was 4x higher. Which matches what Gibson tweeted about a 4.1x week/week increase, if the daily rate was 4x when Reggie was interviewed then the week over week increase should have been much higher upon MK8's release week.

"Prove me wrong, kids. Prove me wrong."
kids are to busy with mobile to prove anything.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm glad people now realize there was almost no Vita stock the last couple of months.
I wonder if they'll sell a non-bundled 2000.

Wii U and Vita doing well makes me really happy.

They're doing a little better than their standards, but "well" isn't the correct word.
Below 80k is pretty bad. It's only become almost common since the launch of the Wii U.
I believe in the early, hard years of the struggling PS3 it never dipped below 80k.

Oh, fun fact. TTM US hardware sales for PlayStation/Xbox consoles is back over 10M units for the first time in 20 months.

It reached a low point of about 7.3M units right before the launch of new systems.

Wii is (which is expected), but Xbox One is still trending slightly better than PS3 did early on.

I fully expect the Xbox One to "get back in the game" in the US, similar to how the PS3 also had a turn around and started doing respectable numbers.

I'm not sure that's a reasonable expectation. PS3 was able to turn around on the back of a massive price cut and Sony's deep bench of quality first-party studios churning out quality first-party games. Microsoft can do the price cut, but they just don't have the same sort of ability to produce exclusives.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Oh, Bravely Default updated LTD...and it's great.
Retail sales LTD - 258,000
Digital sales February - 40,000

Retail + Digital - 298,000 as minimum

It's over 300,000, in total for sure.

those charts are pretty interesting current gen doing much better than last gen launch alined despite what some continue to say. PS4One is almost ahead of PS360s second holiday already.

hawk2025

Imru’ al-Qays;116945687 said:
I'm not sure that's a reasonable expectation. PS3 was able to turn around on the back of a massive price cut and Sony's deep bench of quality first-party studios churning out quality first-party games. Microsoft can do the price cut, but they just don't have the same sort of ability to produce exclusives.

My friend, I know it wasn't your intention, but you likely have just started a list war :p

V_Arnold

Whaaat? Are we still talking about the context of USA? Because then you just kinda have to realize that Microsoft's franchises (especially Halo) have had a bigger impact on the market than any Sony-exclusive on PS3. MS certainly has issues and difficulties ahead of them, having well-selling franchises is not one of them.

Nice bump for the U, but goodness at the X1 slump. I expect that's due to the price cut news, but you'd think the various deals that were floating around would have pushed sales a little more...

Next month will be key, if there's no significant boost...MS in dire straits?

Halo is a bigger deal in the US than any two of Sony's exclusives combined, Gears will come eventually too. MS definitely will make some recovery in NA at least.

Top Bottom