• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For May 2017

fernoca

NA PS4
1. Injustice 2
2. Friday the 13th: The Game
3. NBA Playgrounds
4. The Order: 1886
5. God of War III R

Wut
Was at like $5.

Netherealm continues delivering. 4th #1 selling game in a row, each breaking a record since the acquisition by WB.

Aters

Persona 5's performance is disappointing. It shows that despite having a very vocal and diehard fanbase, the franchise has problem absorbing new fans. People are always asking about why big RPGs have to be action-oriented. You can find your answer here by comparing Persona 5 and Nier Automata side by side. Turn-based games have an audience for sure, the problem is that the audience just doesn't grow. When your budget reaches a certain point, that audience is simply not big enough.

Zelda's sales are the total across two distinct platforms too - NSW and WiiU.

HZD is on PS4 only.

This argument makes zero sense. WIIU and Switch combined sold less than PS4.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Nier legs are amazing. The way it has been doing better than some bigger franchises its pretty impressive.

Rainbow 6: Siege is a best-in-class example of the Games as Service model. It will continue to sell.

BTW how Injustice already outsold MK8 LTD if MK8 was the best selling single sku of the month going by what Reggie said in the interview to Geoff?

Injustice had 4 SKUs...

These lists are still revenue based, right? Being available with the gun controller would certainly boost it past the games it cleared

Yep.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

HZD is on PS4 only.

I mean Zelda Switch will outsell HZD if it hasn't already. Don't think that the Wii U version is actually pushing many units.

Pachael

Dude, it's their own fucking fault.

1. Should have been a worldwide release.

2. They had MANY opportunities to show up in trailers at Sony E3 conferences, but they never bothered. They seemed super focused on Japan.

3. Their streaming restrictions fucked them up nicely. I don't think I even saw it chart on twitch, so thats a massive userbase that doesn't even know your games exist. A great decision!

I would mention that the Nier:A Steam (PC) sku is doing quite well for itself before remembering that it might not be reflected in the rankings and that Atlus had a PS3 sku as well.

jrcbandit

Two bombs (Assuming Dishonored 2 did pretty bad too)... I have a feeling somethings going to happen to this Studio.

I believe Bethesda said they are still committed to making more Dishonored after the stand alone DLC so that gives me some hope for Arkane to still stick around. Remember, Dishonored 2 came out in November so not charting doesn't mean nearly as much as here with such a lackluster month of releases. It is worrisome that Prey did worse than GTA V and Zelda this month, which means that the number 5 spot was a tiny number of sales for an AAA title.... With Zelda, pretty much everyone already bought it already who owned a Switch so it is mostly new Switch owners and Nintendo didn't make many Switches for May.... So hopefully Bethesda wasn't fibbing in saying they are dedicated to making more Dishonored since obviously they wont be making more Prey games.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Ah was wondering where this thread ways, feel like the report came out days ago

Farpoint is at #16?

A PSVR exclusive? That's unexpected and fairly amazing, isn't it?

Depends if you think sub-50k is amazing at that chart level.

Tho In context of VR, having an attach of like 12% or so seems pretty good to me anyway

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The ironic part is that you KNOW Persona 5 fell off because of their backwards ass streaming rules. Persona got so big specifically because of let's plays and such. Without that, the world of mouth would just not be there at all to make it a popular brand.

Nier A got tons of sales from word of mouth and the prebuilt fanbase of Yoko Taro helped a lot in getting the word out

They have lost some sales that are not coming back because of this supply issue. This train will have fewer passengers than originally planned.
Since this issue is due to Nintendo (and basically everyone) underestimating the system's potential sales, that doesn't make sense. Nintendo didn't plan for the system to take off like this, and they was not going to put themselves in a situation like the Wii U in which they was screwed due to overestimating demand.

It's like winning the race going back and beating the shit out of second place to make sure they never cross the line. Not necessary guys.

Yeah. Horizon is doing awesome on its own right. Kudos to Guerrilla Games.

Rainbow 6: Siege is a best-in-class example of the Games as Service model. It will continue to sell.

Absolutely. It's performance has been so great it basically was a proof of concept for Ubisoft to feel confident in heavily pursuing their online centric / games as a service model

Crom

You didn't understand my question. Unless MK8 sold better in May than April, it would be impossible to Injustice have better LTD. It should probably be Reggie giving wrong messages again tho.

Digital sales are not counted for Mario Kart and they are for Injustice(for 2 systems) That could push Injustice over the edge

RootCause

The ironic part is that you KNOW Persona 5 fell off because of their backwards ass streaming rules. Persona got so big specifically because of let's plays and such
I thought it was because of waifus, and husbandos.

Also, obligatory sent out to die. 🤣

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It's like winning the race going back and beating the shit out of second place to make sure they never cross the line. Not necessary guys.

Lmao!!

HZD is on PS4 only.

This should help put things in perspective.

they'll be around later when the price drops a year from now.

Yea, that or just bring available at its normal price. Just being available period, lol.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Do keep in mind that Nier did have some digital sales throughout May.

But yeah, great to see it still charting.

GTAV really needs to die. It's not healthy for the industry for one game to be hogging revenue for 4+ years.

Smaller games like Prey have enough trouble competing in the AAA market and then you have GTA indefinitely demanding 10% or whatever of all software business. It just need to end.

HZD is on PS4 only.

Those platforms combined have a lower userbase than PS4, and the Switch version alone is outselling Horizon anyway. Dumb excuse.

joe_zazen

P5 falling off the charts makes sense for a lot of reasons, one of which being that people aren't talking about it the same way they did P4; if anything, that same type of very positive word of mouth is focusing on Nier instead. And it shows in Nier's sales.

All I'm saying is that if P5 resonated with players like P4 did, it could have had legs.

Ridley327

Did Nintendo ever give an estimate as to when they will be addressing the supply issues? Kind of shocked that PS4 outsold Switch.

No, but they're still holding fast to their 10 million units prediction for the fiscal year. At this point, it's safe to assume that they're going to be holding units for each of their big software releases that they've got coming for the rest of the year (Splatoon 2 in July, Pokken DX/maybe FEW? in September, Mario in October, whatever the hell it is that they're doing for November between Skyrim and Xenoblade 2), and maybe throwing some units out in August to help out Mario+Rabbids. Regularly weekly supply is probably not going to happen in 2017.

You didn't understand my question. Unless MK8 sold better in May than April, it would be impossible to Injustice have better LTD. It should probably be Reggie giving wrong messages again tho.
That's not something impossible, in fact that probably was the case. MK only had a couple of days last month.

It would be something like
Injustice 2 combined > MK8D May > Injustice 2 PS4 > Injustice 2 XBO > MK8D April

Maxinas

Well, Persona 5 takes a couple of hours to jump into the good stuff, and it's a ~100 hour long rpg that requires a lot of time management to get the full experience. Not port begging here, but i wonder how it would have fared if it was a PS4/Switch release instead of the PS3. P4G felt just right on the vita, portability would have helped such a time consuming game imo.

addik

Oh, man, Nier: Automata's legs are impressive. Never thought it would still chart three months into release.

Yoko Taro must be so happy he finally has a smashing market success in his hands

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ah was wondering where this thread ways, feel like the report came out days ago

Depends if you think sub-50k is amazing at that chart level.

Tho In context of VR, having an attach of like 12% or so seems pretty good to me anyway

Do you know if Injustice a strong performer? I know it should be past the last one just based on Mario Kart's last month sales, but I have no real basis for if it would be all the way up in the good range yet.

Ridley327

All I'm saying is that if P5 resonated with players like P5 did, it could have had legs.

Didn't it already outsell the living crap out of previous Persona games? While the legs aren't there, they can still hold onto the fact that they still sold more from a pure units standpoint already.

Chumly

Nintendo has no control over who companies decide to sell components to. They cannot compete with companies like Apple.

More foundaries are coming in to play due to the demand but their impact won't be noticeable immediately.

Acting as if there was/is something they could do just shows you don't know what you are talking about.

Edit:

Sure they could have used more exotic components and increased the base price, older components and crippled the performance or do what they did.
Do you honestly think that companies make a product without contracts in place for the materials? Nintendo only had materials set aside for their 10 million forecast with no backup. That's THEIR problem. It's not apples problem. It's not something that is "out of their hands".

SURGEdude

Why are the PC numbers down so much? Was there a major release this time last year? Was a last month a massive slide too? Seems weird considering what a diverse platform it is.

Ridley327

Why are people talking like P5 did bad all of a sudden?

I don't think it did bad, but people seem to be surprised that a JRPG that isn't Pokemon is performing like a JRPG that isn't Pokemon. This seems like business as usual to me, but then I had absolutely no expectations for Persona to become the next Final Fantasy anytime soon.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Do you honestly think that companies make a product without contracts in place for the materials? Nintendo only had materials set aside for their 10 million forecast with no backup. That's THEIR problem. It's not apples problem. It's not something that is "out of their hands".

No one is saying that their contract just covers enough for 10m units, but no company is going to have a contract for 18m units of components when their estimate is 10m units.

Companies gradually increase their order of components they don't plan on being road blocked by higher bids from almost every electronic manufacturer.

daveo42

Banned
This list continues to remind me that I need to buy Nier. Surprised Farpoint made top 20. The thirst for longer VR experiences is real on PS.

All I'm saying is that if P5 resonated with players like P5 did, it could have had legs.

P5, like most JRPGs, are extremely frontloaded when it comes to sales. 95% of people who bought P5 bought it at release. The rest are people who have yet to get into the series, don't have the time/money to buy it at launch, or are waiting on a sale.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Even though it was supply constrained I still was expecting the Switch to be #1. Turns out I was wrong there!
You and most of us in the NPD predictions thread did too.

I probably won't put them at winning anymore months until the end of the year.

Then watch the stock situation gets fixed. I'm tired of getting burned by Nintendo with my predictions!!! lol.

Top Bottom