• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA frustrated by Nintendo, is Working On Brand New SOC For Gaming Handhelds & Consoles

RaZoR No1

Probably. Nvidia also know that they have Nintendo by the balls when it comes to backwards compatibility, which is something important now that everyone wants to trap people in their digital ecosystems.
Do they?
Currently alot of mobile devices are able to emulate the Switch on non Nvidia Hardware.
Even the Switch can emulate itself in Linux where the games even run better with OC etc.
So getting the the Switch games running on any or new device isnt a problem here.
The normal user wont notice a difference between Emulation or real Hardware supported games, as long the game runs fine or even better.

(See BC on Xbox)

Latest example would be the other thread here with the Ayn Odin 2.
Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 for 299$
Imagine if Nintendo makes a deal with Qualcomm for that SoC.
I think Qualcomm even has some handeld gaming dedicated SoC, too.

So there are alot of options fot Nintendo and they are not really limited to Nvidia, if they want a mobile SoC.

Quasicat

For me, I just hope they get away from android and move into the pc space. I would love to see what Nvidia could do there with a handheld.

Ozriel

M$FT
It’s really poor practice here that headlines don’t make it clear what are rumors or unconfirmed narratives.

We’ve known for a while now that NVIDIA’s been readying ARM chipsets for Windows on ARM

2B4P9Xi.jpeg

Pitching this as ‘Nvidia is frustrated’ is kinda salacious but probably an exaggeration.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It's not a ton of money to them anymore.

They now have individual customers purchasing upwards of 350,000 of their AI chips that cost $40,000 each.

You do the math.

Sure let's ...

"

Doing the math​

NVIDIA says that its Tegra processor business generated $1.53 billion in revenue during the company's fiscal year 2018. NVIDIA's Tegra processors are primarily sold into the Nintendo Switch and into the company's automotive segment.

So, if we subtract NVIDIA's automotive revenue of $558 million from the $1.53 billion in total Tegra processor revenue, we get non-automotive Tegra processor revenue -- in other words, Nintendo Switch processor revenue -- of around $972 million. "

And that was in 2018.

Would be interesting to know why. But I have no problem believing Nintendo is annoying to work with. Especially post Switch when they probably feel they can make actual demands/have some leverage in negotiations.
Tbf that's what's so loveable about the management of that company at the same time. They are stubborn as a donkey and pursue their strategy regardless what the rest of the world is moving towards.

GHG

Gold Member
Sure let's ...

"

Doing the math​

NVIDIA says that its Tegra processor business generated $1.53 billion in revenue during the company's fiscal year 2018. NVIDIA's Tegra processors are primarily sold into the Nintendo Switch and into the company's automotive segment.

So, if we subtract NVIDIA's automotive revenue of $558 million from the $1.53 billion in total Tegra processor revenue, we get non-automotive Tegra processor revenue -- in other words, Nintendo Switch processor revenue -- of around $972 million. "

And that was in 2018.

Are you serious?

What do you think $40000 x 350000 is?

GHG

Gold Member
To put this in to perspective for people, when they would have been finalising the deal with Nintendo for the first switch, Nvidia were making about $1 billion a quarter in revenue.

Nvidia now make $22 billion a quarter in revenue.

They don't give a fuck about a product that is going to earn them about $1 billion in lifetime revenue (at best, provided the switch 2 sells just as well as the first one) when their smaller enterprise customers are willing to give them that same amount of money instantly in a single transaction for a small order of AI chips.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
It's not a contest. 1 billion is billion for a comparably low effort.

This is fake.

What's fake?

See my post above, Nvidia have moved on, it's no longer the same company Nintendo were dealing with back in 2015/2016.

They don't give a fuck anymore about 1 billion over the course of 7-8 years, especially not when it's from a partner who aren't going to be showcasing their latest and greatest features.

GHG

Gold Member
You say that, yet here we are with Nvidia providing the chipset for Switch 2. So it’s obviously not correct.

Just because they are doing it, it doesn't mean they are happy with it. It's business, transactions like this happen all the time where there is animosity between both parties.

They are in the big leagues now:

big.webp

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

First

Animated GIF

Are we including random twitter peoples into discussions now as if it’s facts?

Oh poor Jensen, he will sell >100M chips on an older node and keep TSMC top of the line for AI chips for even more money.

Switch sold orders of magnitude more than Steam deck estimates

Nvidia offers a newer gen and better node GPU for $1 and Nintendo refuses? Cmon son, that guy is inventing a story here

Nvidia could drop a new shield with all the bells and whistles if they feel they should have been the deck lol

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
First

Animated GIF

Are we including random twitter peoples into discussions now as if it’s facts?

Oh poor Jensen, he will sell >100M chips on an older node and keep TSMC top of the line for AI chips for even more money.

Switch sold orswra of magnitude more than Steam deck estimates

Nvidia offsr a newer gen and better node GPU for $1 and Nintendo refuses? Cmon son, that guy is inventing a story here

They will use the Samsung fab for Nintendo's chips.

Buggy Loop

They will use the Samsung fab for Nintendo's chips.

Even better for Nvidia!

This clears TSMC for higher margin products like AI chips and dedicated GPUs

Why on earth would Jensen be frustrated 😂

They can drop a new Shield and be the top dog technologically if they want to.

Holammer

To put this in to perspective for people, when they would have been finalising the deal with Nintendo for the first switch, Nvidia were making about $1 billion a quarter in revenue.

Nvidia now make $22 billion a quarter in revenue.

They don't give a fuck about a product that is going to earn them about $1 billion in lifetime revenue (at best, provided the switch 2 sells just as well as the first one) when their smaller enterprise customers are willing to give them that same amount of money instantly in a single transaction for a small order of AI chips.
p5v8e6A.jpeg

Damn. I knew Nvidia was doing well with AI chips, but not such ludicrous sales.
It wouldn't be hard to imagine them being frustrated with a tightwad customer playing for chump change.

I find it fascinating that we're all just taking this claim at face value instead of actually doing due diligence and asking whether this information is coming from a source, or an anus.

If Nvidia is so "frustrated by Nintendo" it wouldn't have decided to work with it again for the Switch's successor, but they're clearly still working together.

Would rather have this clarified by an actual Nvidia worker instead of 'Twitter user with 1300 followers'.

GHG

Gold Member
Even better for Nvidia!

This clears TSMC for higher margin products like AI chips and dedicated GPUs

Why on earth would Jensen be frustrated 😂

They can drop a new Shield and be the top dog technologically if they want to.

One word - margins.

Part of their transformation in recent years has been to focus in on high margin products and areas of business.

There is zero chance Nintendo and the chips that they will be asking for fit in to that in any way. From Nvidia's perspective it boils down to "is this worth our time and effort". The answer is always going to be no when you can make over 10x more money with the same time and effort elsewhere.

Nintendo would have been better off going to Qualcomm.

Last edited:
Sure let's ...

"

Doing the math​

And that was in 2018.

Nintendo and Nvidia in 2018

RBc6QzE.jpeg

Nintendo and Nvidia in 2024

gQEzctG.jpeg

Last edited:

CS Lurker

8nm allegedly.

Yeah, I don't think so. 1536 CUDA with 8 A78 is too much for this node. Even with the lowest clocks possible, only the GPU+CPU would already have a higher power draw than the Switch v1 as a whole running TotK, MK11 or TW3 with max brightness.

And when I say "lowest clocks possible", I'm using the Orin SoC as source. Nvidia doesn't go below a certain clock simply because it wouldn't have impact on power draw. When you can't decrease the voltage anymore, it makes no sense to go lower on clocks. That's why they simply deactivate cores when you need to go really low on power consumption (that's in their documentation for the Orin SoCs)

I don't see Nintendo going with a huge battery like we see with these AMD handhelds. The T239 - in the hands of a company like Nintendo - only makes sense if they are using the TSMC 4N.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I find it fascinating that we're all just taking this claim at face value instead of actually doing due diligence and asking whether this information is coming from a source, or an anus.

If Nvidia is so "frustrated by Nintendo" it wouldn't have decided to work with it again for the Switch's successor, but they're clearly still working together.

Would rather have this clarified by an actual Nvidia worker instead of 'Twitter user with 1300 followers'.

Excited Lets Go GIF

I really hope twitter cancer doesn’t spread into neogaf

Be very careful about the shit you read on that turd of a social media

Unless someone known from GPU business correlates these claims, this is a “my uncle working at Nintendo” type of talk and shouldn’t deserve even to be given the time of day

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Unlike Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo has to make profit from the hardware sales right from the beginning with cheap but efficient components. Meanwhile Nvidia by now it became used to huge profit margins from their hardware sales. The two collaborating by having drastic market philosophy differences it can't be easy at all.
What do yo mean "drastic market philosophy differences"? They have the same philosophy of ripping off their customers. There just isn’t enough money to go around.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
What do yo mean "drastic market philosophy differences"? They have the same philosophy of ripping off their customers. There just isn’t enough money to go around.
Yep the clash is that the customer for Nvidia in this case is Nintendo.

spons

Gold Member
Lol. We're probably going to see their annual revenue hit $100 billion + by this time next year. They're just one insignificant partner out of many now. 🤷‍♂️
I assume Nintendo was a decent source of profit pre-AI boom. And if AI is a bubble that's going to burst, they still have a stable source of profit from Switch 2.
I don't get why nvidia doesn't want at least some stable sources of profit instead of banking on something that could cease to exist tomorrow for whatever reason.

Nvidia did $27B revenue last year. Nintendo did $12B same period.

Negotiations between these two mega corporations don't work in the way described by the OP rumour and speculations in this thread.

Buggy Loop

One word - margins.

Part of their transformation in recent years has been to focus in on high margin products and areas of business.

There is zero chance Nintendo and the chips that they will be asking for fit in to that in any way. From Nvidia's perspective it boils down to "is this worth our time and effort". The answer is always going to be no when you can make over 10x more money with the same time and effort elsewhere.

Nintendo would have been better off going to Qualcomm.

Well, they’ve given them a price for a solution, including the cheap one, so they are interested in selling that solution. If customer is satisfied with that solution, it’s a win win.

If Nvidia would not be interested, they could jack up the prices and force Nintendo into a decision. There’s many alternative SoCs out there, many. Qualcomm approached Nintendo for snapdragon.

But I can see it possible for them to be frustrated explaining technology to Nintendo. It would be like to show a monkey how to build a rocket.

spons

Gold Member
They’ll gladly charge you 300 for an outdated piece of shit at launch though.
Considering the quality of the games on Nintendo devices I gladly pay up.
And if the Switch 2 is backwards compatible, I won't even have to second guess any decision when purchasing the thing.
All over my face.

They are not using ARM here right?

Interesting how many architectures we will have - nvidia's, arm-based, x86 still being there etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom