• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA frustrated by Nintendo, is Working On Brand New SOC For Gaming Handhelds & Consoles

Kataploom

Gold Member
Damn, this thread about an out-of-the-ass my-uncle-works-at-nintendo gosip on X made the Nintendo haters go afloat, they probably were waiting to have some bad whatever so they could ventilate whatever they had inside lol. Relax people.

But I can see it possible for them to be frustrated explaining technology to Nintendo. It would be like to show a monkey how to build a rocket.
Sure the ones that make the most out of their hardware in the industry (let alone "impossible" games like TOTK) and set industry bar each gen are monkeys compared to the rest of the "release broken, unoptimized, and with minimal interactions and we'll fix later... maybe" devs that don't do anything but follow trends after trends like your average tiktoker.

I'd be frustrated too if I were Nvidia. Switch 2 trying to market itself as the technological marvel new hotness of 2025 is genuinely going to make Nvidia look incompetent and outdated themselves. If I were Nvidia I'd be barring them from referencing or advertising any "Nvidia" branding or components in their marketing material. Switch 2 will literally be like 4x slower than the AMD Z2 Extreme powering Steamdeck 2 or Rog Ally 2 launching the same year. Nvidia going to look like an industry fool cause miser ass Nintendo launching the 2nd most outdated piece of hardware in history. Wii U and Switch 1 were much more technologically advanced than the consensus agreement of what's in Switch 2, literally a 5+ year old SOC on a terrible 5+ year old node underclocked into the dirt.
Relax pal, Orin is the current gen Tegra chip and was available in 2022 (so 2 y'o now) AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong), and the T239 that is rumored to come out on Switch is even more advanced than that one. The next one is coming next year.

And surely that GameCube era PPC CPU made the Wii U a simulations monster, must embarrass even next Switch CPU :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Switch also had Nvidia Tegra current gen by the time it released btw.

He answered the frustration question over on B3D.

"Source is within NVDA like all the stuff I share for over a decade

Frustration is Nintendo choosing a tech multiple gen behind the latest and greatest. It slows down new NV tech adoption, thus advantage. I have a story to share about the first switch deal for which Jensen travelled to Japan. He offered a custom SoC updated with Pascal for less than $1 extra aver the TegraX but Nintendo didn't care. And now for Switch2, it's the same story. Could be Lovelace but nah, Nintendo doesn't care again. Even worst, Switch will be launched more than 2 years after the SoC design completion"

I feel that's BS lol, is there any credential that gives confidence of that person having any actual close relationship with the matter? If no, I'll say Switch 2 will have two 4090 paired in SLI minimized in a handheld form factor and you'll all have to believe me just because.

This is a bit ridiculous. The Switch was hardly a piece if shit when it launched at $300 in 2016. I can understand the argument for their prior handhelds at launch.
Some people really get mad at Nintendo because they're successful, they're probably the same that predicted it to fail even worse than Wii U in that infame thread we all know lol.

I'd be frustrated too if I were Nvidia. Switch 2 trying to market itself as the technological marvel new hotness of 2025 is genuinely going to make Nvidia look incompetent and outdated themselves. If I were Nvidia I'd be barring them from referencing or advertising any "Nvidia" branding or components in their marketing material. Switch 2 will literally be like 4x slower than the AMD Z2 Extreme powering Steamdeck 2 or Rog Ally 2 launching the same year. Nvidia going to look like an industry fool cause miser ass Nintendo launching the 2nd most outdated piece of hardware in history. Wii U and Switch 1 were much more technologically advanced than the consensus agreement of what's in Switch 2, literally a 5+ year old SOC on a terrible 5+ year old node underclocked into the dirt.

None of what you’re saying matters.

Nintendo approaches Nvidia to partner on a chip for a new console > Nvidia agrees to provide chip > Nintendo and Nvidia agree on amount of money in exchange for providing said chip > Both companies close on the deal and each makes enormous profit from said deal.

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Switch 2 is going to be so underwhelming in terms of hardware. People talking 4K and DLSS and 120hz - and I’m like.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Originals
Yea people are out of their minds believing it's going to be native 4k and all these high end specs. 1080p with 4k DLSS or some other software enhancer and thats it. Nintendo has not been cutting edge since the Gamecube launched back in 2001. Wii was out dated, WiiU was stupid, Switch was using outdated hardware when it launched. I am expecting 2-3x switch if lucky.

Gamer79

Yup. I am frustrated there is no new Shield Pro. Just bought a second one actually.
I sold my Shield TV years ago. Great system but my new tv has a good OS built in. Too bad they never made a proper Shield 2.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Yea people are out of their minds believing it's going to be native 4k and all these high end specs. 1080p with 4k DLSS or some other software enhancer and thats it. Nintendo has not been cutting edge since the Gamecube launched back in 2001. Wii was out dated, WiiU was stupid, Switch was using outdated hardware when it launched. I am expecting 2-3x switch if lucky.
Switch was using the best possible chip on the market for its purpose when it released...

tkscz

This is his reply:

Personally I think he's plucking this out of his butt.

Edit: did twitter crash?

Sounds too much like a GAF response than something a CEO would say, specifically the hyperbole.

That said, it's most likely due to money. Nvidia wants to building something more powerful to charge more for the device. If Nintendo wont' play ball then they'll do it themselves while still working with Nintendo to keep making a profit as well.

You're looking at this like a gamer on the internet and not the CEO of a company. How many units did the Switch sell vs the ROG or Steamdeck in the exact same time span? The Switch has made Nintendo the riches company in Japan while using out of date hardware because they know what they're doing. Using the same handheld strategy, focusing on affordable hardware and better battery life, has won them this market again and again.

I highly doubt the Jensen is mad that Nintendo didn't go with the newest hardware because POWER and being better than the competition they wipe the floor with. Like I said before it's most likely because Nintendo refuses to use a more expensive hardware to charge people more for so that Nvidia makes a bigger profit. Like they do with the GPU market.

Last edited:

Xellos

Nintendo saving a few bucks on Ampere vs Ada and delaying to prepare software are reasonable and smart things to do. I doubt Nvidia would be frustrated by this. Not putting a lot of stock in this tweet.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
And the cycle continues if this is true.

First was MS with Xbox, then Sony with PS3, now Nintendo with switch 2.

Maybe… just maybe … it’s not the console makers and it’s just you Nvidia are shit ?

They probably trying to charge Nintendo 209$ per SoC lol
Why not they got us fools paying 2k for cards developers don’t even push.

Last edited:

nordique

this is fake, no way anyone would be frustrated with making tons of money. It's ridiculous.

reading the response, the perseon who sent the tweet sounds like he is presuming. Unless he sat across from Jensen and heard it directly, which the tweet does not read like it does, then he's projecting his own opinion of what he thinks. "slanderous"

I will pull out of my butt that I bet Jensen is more than likely a professional in his work place and has no such feelings towards Nintendo

If anything, Nintendo probably went to nvidia (in 2020 mind you) and said "hey this is what our math shows we can afford to make a profit on our next console. Make us the best chip you can" and Jensen said "yes, well, we had great success with the switch lets do the best we can within that price range"

Last edited:

Three

If anything, Nintendo probably went to nvidia (in 2020 mind you) and said "hey this is what our math shows we can afford to make a profit on our next console. Make us the best chip you can" and Jensen said "yes, well, we had great success with the switch lets do the best we can within that price range"
Isn't all that assumptions too? I don't actually know or follow this person on twitter so I have no idea how his or her track record is on credibility but they at least claim to have inside knowledge of nvidia. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt but be wary of the information.

I personally can see the reasons given about why nvidia might be frustrated as at the very least plausible. They likely have an older SoC which they signed for 2 years ago and haven't manufactured yet. That might mean nvidia isn't making as much from producing those per chip as they think they might from other clients like mediatek. It will also mean AMD can continue to compete as SoC provider for the steamdeck and other PC handhelds against the switch making other clients more inclined to choose AMD for better support and features in software. I'm going to wait and see if there is any truth to the claims but if anybody knows whether the source is trustworthy then I'd be even more inclined to believe it.

StereoVsn

I suspect that NVIDIA has more leverage here. They can simply end the partnership if it becomes too "frustrating". Not sure what Nintendo can do. They'd have to develop a new chip in that case.
I very much doubt they can walk away from a very tight contractual obligations they are under. It would be $billions in penalties potentially.

Nintendo lawyers aren’t dumb and Nvidia is notorious for pulling this sort of shit so I can’t believe the contract wouldn’t be bulletproof.

Reallink

You're looking at this like a gamer on the internet and not the CEO of a company. How many units did the Switch sell vs the ROG or Steamdeck in the exact same time span? The Switch has made Nintendo the riches company in Japan while using out of date hardware because they know what they're doing. Using the same handheld strategy, focusing on affordable hardware and better battery life, has won them this market again and again.

I highly doubt the Jensen is mad that Nintendo didn't go with the newest hardware because POWER and being better than the competition they wipe the floor with. Like I said before it's most likely because Nintendo refuses to use a more expensive hardware to charge people more for so that Nvidia makes a bigger profit. Like they do with the GPU market.

He's absolutely annoyed, cause 90% of Nvidia's business is selling cutting edge $70,000 commercial GPU's and $800, $1300, and $2000 consumer GPU's. He literally couldn't give less of a fuck about Nintendo's $35 SOC that actively devalues Nvidia's brand and acts as a negative marketer. They inked that deal and completed the chip several years ago, well before AI took them to the moon. It was intended for a mid-gen Switch Pro refresh, not a Switch 2.

Last edited:

Reallink

Relax pal, Orin is the current gen Tegra chip and was available in 2022 (so 2 y'o now) AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong), and the T239 that is rumored to come out on Switch is even more advanced than that one. The next one is coming next year.

And surely that GameCube era PPC CPU made the Wii U a simulations monster, must embarrass even next Switch CPU :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Switch also had Nvidia Tegra current gen by the time it released btw.

It's Ampere, which is a 2020 design. If there were actually a market for Tegra chips, it absolutely could and would have come out in 2020, only reason it didn't is cause there are no products that use them. The Switch 1 was Maxwell (a 2014 design) first appearing in the 2015 Shield, roughly 3 years old when Switch 1 released, and was built on a more advanced node (20nm) than the 2014 Maxwell desktop parts (28nm). Again, Switch 2 will be a 5 year old design upon release, built on the same process node as the 2020 parts (Samsung 8nm). Ergo, it's a much less advanced product than Switch 1 was upon release, the most outdated in gaming history save for OG Wii.

Last edited:
He's absolute annoyed, cause 90% of Nvidia's business is selling cutting edge $70,000 commercial GPU's and $800, $1200, and $2000 consumer GPU's. He literally couldn't give less of a fuck about Nintendo's $35 SOC that actively devalues Nvidia's brand and acts as a negative marketer. They inked that deal and completed the chip several years ago, well before AI took them to the moon. It was intended for a mid-gen Switch Pro refresh, not a Switch 2.
If he “didn’t give a fuck”, he wouldn’t reportedly be annoyed. Can’t have it both ways. Which is it?

And again, the chip Nintendo chooses to use makes Nvidia lots of money. I promise you no one on the business side of things at either company cares one iota about this perceived gamer focus that Nintendo uses outdated tech. It’s a business arrangement that makes both companies hundreds of millions of dollars.

Literally no one cares about whatever you’re talking about, except for whiny message board users. Sales & profits speak for themselves.

Last edited:
Would be interesting to know why. But I have no problem believing Nintendo is annoying to work with. Especially post Switch when they probably feel they can make actual demands/have some leverage in negotiations.
Literally every company is annoying to work with, honestly. Everybody wants the best deal they can possibly get, and is surely particular about exactly what it is they want.

This whole stirred-up drama is so fcking stupid.

Reallink

If he “didn’t give a fuck”, he wouldn’t reportedly be annoyed. Can’t have it both ways. Which is it?

And again, the chip Nintendo chooses to use makes Nvidia lots of money. I promise you no one on the business side of things at either company cares one iota about this perceived gamer focus that Nintendo uses outdated tech. It’s a business arrangement that makes both companies hundreds of millions of dollars.

Literally no one cares about whatever you’re talking about, except for whiny message board users. Sales & profits speak for themselves.

He cares cause Enzo Ferrari doesn't want to build and sell Kia Rio's. People and companies who strive to be the best aren't content peddling trash.

Last edited:
Nvidia being Nvidia. They're frustrated because they know the very reason Nintendo wants those chips is because nobody else wants them, and they'll get a great deal out of it. Of course Nvidia wants to move them onto a more recent release, and then they'll "have to" upcharge for something Nintendo doesn't care about. By staying with older hardware that nobody else wants, there is no competition and all the reason in the world to strong arm Nvidia into accepting a lowball offer because it will still be profitable and worth doing.

IAmRei

Imagine you’re a salesman, you have a meeting set up with an important client who you hear wants to buy 100 million units. You get a presentation all ready to go, all about your state-of-the-art new product and all the benefits it can bring to your client.

Then you have your meeting and your client tells you “eh…. I just want the cheapest, most outdated thing you guys can sell me”
But it is still business, they are buying, not asking for free.

Three

By staying with older hardware that nobody else wants, there is no competition and all the reason in the world to strong arm Nvidia into accepting a lowball offer because it will still be profitable and worth doing.
I don't think Nintendo is in a position to "strong arm Nvidia" into a lowball offer. Nvidia likely cares very little about that small segment for them. Nvidia is a lot sttonger than Nintendo and doesn't rely on them much at all.

I don't think Nintendo is in a position to "strong arm Nvidia" into a lowball offer. Nvidia likely cares very little about that small segment for them. Nvidia is a lot sttonger than Nintendo and doesn't rely on them much at all.

Fiduciary duty to shareholders. Is it as profitable? No, but they gotta do it to maximize profits.

Three

Fiduciary duty to shareholders. Is it as profitable? No, but they gotta do it to maximize profits.
It would be their fiduciary duty to not be strong armed by Nintendo and not take a lowball offer but instead play hardball to try and maximise profits. Arguably Nintendo needs nvidia more than nvidia needs Nintendo. I suspect they have already signed a contract though.

nordique

Isn't all that assumptions too? I don't actually know or follow this person on twitter so I have no idea how his or her track record is on credibility but they at least claim to have inside knowledge of nvidia. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt but be wary of the information.

I personally can see the reasons given about why nvidia might be frustrated as at the very least plausible. They likely have an older SoC which they signed for 2 years ago and haven't manufactured yet. That might mean nvidia isn't making as much from producing those per chip as they think they might from other clients like mediatek. It will also mean AMD can continue to compete as SoC provider for the steamdeck and other PC handhelds against the switch making other clients more inclined to choose AMD for better support and features in software. I'm going to wait and see if there is any truth to the claims but if anybody knows whether the source is trustworthy then I'd be even more inclined to believe it.

Yes but I said I pulled it out of my butt

Let me say this, if someone has insight into the upper board aka including how Jensen truly feels, they are not posting it on twitter/X

nordique

It would be their fiduciary duty to not be strong armed by Nintendo and not take a lowball offer but instead play hardball to try and maximise profits. Arguably Nintendo needs nvidia more than nvidia needs Nintendo. I suspect they have already signed a contract though.
That is a safe assumption to make - This chip wasn’t designed yesterday

Robb

Gold Member
Literally every company is annoying to work with, honestly.
Eh, not from my experience. But I can definitely believe that it gets more annoying the bigger the stakes are for each party.

But Nintendo in particular seem like such perfectionists with very specific and detailed demands etc. regarding most things they get involved with. They seem particularly annoying to work with tbh.

But then again a lot of their stuff turns out great as well, probably because of their stubbornness. I just wouldn’t want to be on the other end myself.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

That’s a misnomer. There is no such a thing as a fiduciary duty to maximize profits. It’s made up bullshit by Jack Welsh and his ilk.

Anyways, it’s probably more of an opportunity cost for Nvidia. When original deals were made back in 2015 or whatnot, situation was quite different.

FireFly

The T239 has double the number of ALUs as the Z1E. Based on the Time Spy results, Strix Point is expected to be 30% faster at the same clocks. So Switch 2 would need to be clocked around 460 MHz to be 4X slower than Strix Point at 30W. But even the original Switch was clocked at 768 MHz in docked mode.

The large size of the T239 is precisely why it is likely to be on a more modern process than Samsung 8nm. As at low power levels it risks going below the minimum voltage floor, and at that point Nintendo could simply have shipped a smaller chip for the same performance.

Klosshufvud

Nvidia and Nintendo at negotations ought to be fairly close to how two WW2 dictators negotiated.
Nvidia being Nvidia. They're frustrated because they know the very reason Nintendo wants those chips is because nobody else wants them, and they'll get a great deal out of it. Of course Nvidia wants to move them onto a more recent release, and then they'll "have to" upcharge for something Nintendo doesn't care about. By staying with older hardware that nobody else wants, there is no competition and all the reason in the world to strong arm Nvidia into accepting a lowball offer because it will still be profitable and worth doing.
Sounds very likely. Nintendo is no first timer regarding tough hardware negotiations. Nvidia is so spoiled these days with everyone over paying for their hardware. They can't cope with Nintendo playing it old school.

By the way, their handheld being ARM makes me not care at all. What a waste of time. But I guess Nvidia doesn't do x86 SoCs regardless, why they haven't put out a PC handheld on the market.

Reallink

The T239 has double the number of ALUs as the Z1E. Based on the Time Spy results, Strix Point is expected to be 30% faster at the same clocks. So Switch 2 would need to be clocked around 460 MHz to be 4X slower than Strix Point at 30W. But even the original Switch was clocked at 768 MHz in docked mode.

The large size of the T239 is precisely why it is likely to be on a more modern process than Samsung 8nm. As at low power levels it risks going below the minimum voltage floor, and at that point Nintendo could simply have shipped a smaller chip for the same performance.

Switch 2 is a 2025 release, so it'll be competing with a Strix Point successor or more likely a custom design. The PC handheld market is large enough now that I don't expect Deck 2 or Ally 2 to use an off the shelf laptop part, they need far less CPU power and far more GPU power. The fact that the Z1 Extreme CPU soundly outperforms Desktop Ryzen 5000's and nips on the heels of Desktop Ryzen 7000's is a wildly inefficient and comically lopsided design for a device that struggles to render modern games at 540p-720p sub-30fps.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
It's Ampere, which is a 2020 design. If there were actually a market for Tegra chips, it absolutely could and would have come out in 2020, only reason it didn't is cause there are no products that use them. The Switch 1 was Maxwell (a 2014 design) first appearing in the 2015 Shield, roughly 3 years old when Switch 1 released, and was built on a more advanced node (20nm) than the 2014 Maxwell desktop parts (28nm). Again, Switch 2 will be a 5 year old design upon release, built on the same process node as the 2020 parts (Samsung 8nm). Ergo, it's a much less advanced product than Switch 1 was upon release, the most outdated in gaming history save for OG Wii.
Seeing Tegra release history, they tend to be ready years after the PC GPUs, so even if architecture was released on 2020, the Tegra chips using the architecture was released on Q1 2022, afaik, same for Lovelace, its Tegra chips are going to be released next year even if the architecture released a couple years ago. Not to mention T234 is still latest Nvidia Tegra model afaik, that's as much as I can get googling a little at least.

It seems to me that we shouldn't just compare technology in Switch GPU based on PC GPU equivalent release date because it tends to be released way before the mobile counterpart, Switch 2 looks as current as it can get, at least it doesn't look less current than PS5 when it released since it was also using previous architecture with some features of newest one.

REDRZA MWS

Gold Member
Considering the quality of the games on Nintendo devices I gladly pay up.
And if the Switch 2 is backwards compatible, I won't even have to second guess any decision when purchasing the thing.
All over my face.
No one has EVER question, or doubted Nintendo’s software devs nor their unquestionably quality games. But when they are walled behind hardware that is outdated and gimmick toy like nonsense, then yeah, fuck off Nintendo.

hlm666

I feel that's BS lol, is there any credential that gives confidence of that person having any actual close relationship with the matter? If no, I'll say Switch 2 will have two 4090 paired in SLI minimized in a handheld form factor and you'll all have to believe me just because.
No idea, the thread was about one of his tweets and someone linked to his reply there on twitter or reddit and I just provided that link to answer what people were asking on the first pages. He seems to imply he has been a leaker or whatever for 10 years, maybe someone knows what he has said in the past about nvidia and if they ended up being right but that is not me.

I don't follow leakers/rumors so no clue who is considered reliable or not, they all seem unreliable until the hardware is in production from what I've seen.

Kataploom

Gold Member
That chip came out in 2015. The switch launched in 2017. I do not believe you.
Well, there's the X2 but that probably was definitely not ready for launch. Here's a list provided by AI:

1. **Tegra APX 2500**: Announced on February 12, 2008¹.
2. **Tegra 6xx product line**: Revealed on June 2, 2008¹.
3. **APX 2600**: Announced in February 2009¹.
4. **Tegra 2 (Tegra T20)**: Officially announced and demonstrated as Nvidia Tegra 250 at Consumer Electronics Show 2010¹.
5. **Tegra 3 (Tegra T30)**: Announced at the February 2011 Mobile World Congress event in Barcelona¹.
6. **Tegra X1**: Announced in early 2015⁴.
7. **Tegra X2 (T186)**: Released in the third quarter of 2016².
8. **Tegra Xavier (T194)**: Released in the first quarter of 2019².
9. **Tegra X1+ (T210B01)**: Released in the second quarter of 2019².
10. **Tegra X1+ (T214)**: Released in the second quarter of 2019².
11. **Tegra Xavier NX**: Released in the first quarter of 2020².
12. **Tegra Orin (T234)**: Released in the first quarter of 2022².

Switch 2 SoC will be based on Orin which is latest Tegra chip, but will be more advanced due to it including Ada Lovelace features.

You can't go more advanced than that for a 2025 launch...

tkscz

He's absolutely annoyed, cause 90% of Nvidia's business is selling cutting edge $70,000 commercial GPU's and $800, $1300, and $2000 consumer GPU's. He literally couldn't give less of a fuck about Nintendo's $35 SOC that actively devalues Nvidia's brand and acts as a negative marketer. They inked that deal and completed the chip several years ago, well before AI took them to the moon. It was intended for a mid-gen Switch Pro refresh, not a Switch 2.
I mean, he's not annoyed because actually looking into the Twitter post, the guy has no background with Nvidia itself and labels himself a "GPU expert" which says nothing, has no previous rumor history and continues to talk like a user on a forum. He's replying to a news thread about AI processors and not about a handheld device. If you asked him for a source

metal-gear-rising-metal-gear-rising-revengeance.gif

Gamer79

Well, there's the X2 but that probably was definitely not ready for launch. Here's a list provided by AI:

1. **Tegra APX 2500**: Announced on February 12, 2008¹.
2. **Tegra 6xx product line**: Revealed on June 2, 2008¹.
3. **APX 2600**: Announced in February 2009¹.
4. **Tegra 2 (Tegra T20)**: Officially announced and demonstrated as Nvidia Tegra 250 at Consumer Electronics Show 2010¹.
5. **Tegra 3 (Tegra T30)**: Announced at the February 2011 Mobile World Congress event in Barcelona¹.
6. **Tegra X1**: Announced in early 2015⁴.
7. **Tegra X2 (T186)**: Released in the third quarter of 2016².
8. **Tegra Xavier (T194)**: Released in the first quarter of 2019².
9. **Tegra X1+ (T210B01)**: Released in the second quarter of 2019².
10. **Tegra X1+ (T214)**: Released in the second quarter of 2019².
11. **Tegra Xavier NX**: Released in the first quarter of 2020².
12. **Tegra Orin (T234)**: Released in the first quarter of 2022².

Switch 2 SoC will be based on Orin which is latest Tegra chip, but will be more advanced due to it including Ada Lovelace features.

You can't go more advanced than that for a 2025 launch...
If they go that route. Time will tell.

Somewhat famously every console maker has only used Nvidia once, before being frustrated by their desire to control their whole stack and even shrink schedules, which iirc screwed the first Xbox when they wanted to shrink it to have a Slim like the PS2. Let's see if they can break out of that cycle this time. Nvidia for Switch 2 is pretty much a lock, but I wonder how they feel about the partnership after.

It's also pretty classic Nintendo that they didn't want to spend even a dollar extra to be another generation ahead, so they're both probably annoying lol

Nintendo is going to be in a really tough spot - all console makers are, actually. People have come to expect their games and digital purchases to be available in the ecosystem they've invested in. So we'll either get small, iterative consoles that will have backwards compatibility, or they are going to need to justify dropping BC in order to change their architecture or release a more powerful system. Very unlikely emulation will be able to handle the difference even just two generations back.

The idea is that Nintendo can lowball because who else is going to buy those old chips, at scale? Nintendo is surely banking on being the only customer interested, and whatever they offer is better than nothing.

That’s a misnomer. There is no such a thing as a fiduciary duty to maximize profits. It’s made up bullshit by Jack Welsh and his ilk.

Anyways, it’s probably more of an opportunity cost for Nvidia. When original deals were made back in 2015 or whatnot, situation was quite different.

Fiduciary duty to do what's in the best interest of shareholders, and creating as much value for shareholders is the paramount responsibility. Maximizing profits is the name of the game, unless you are growing the company or have some other kind of justification.

Three

The idea is that Nintendo can lowball because who else is going to buy those old chips, at scale? Nintendo is surely banking on being the only customer interested, and whatever they offer is better than nothing.
Nvidia has to manufacture those old chips. They don't have a stockpile of old chips lying around. The news is that they might not be so happy manufacturing old chips and they've found a new customer, mediatek, to produce higher spec ones for too.

Top Bottom