• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spekkeh

Banned
I really don't know what Nintendo can do to make this new console successful. They need to show that they actually learned some of the trends that are necessary or at least expected in gaming platforms. A proper online interface, a regular controller, less reliance on gimmicks, etc... If not, they need to become a software company for consoles and pc. For crying out loud they need to do evolve their thinking. They are stuck in the past in too many areas.

At least the handhelds still seem to be doing well.
What are the chances Nintendo were planning on doing exactly that. Release a regular console that was stronger than PS4 but with Nintendo exclusives, in the hope to simply be the strongest regular offering, only for Sony spies to learn of this and Sony promptly announcing the PS4 Neo. Now Nintendo has to delay NX out of panic to find a new hook and more games.

Donax

Neo Member
People react as if E3 was the only video game convention during the year and that constructors have to present their new stuff there. Don't forget that:

- for the past years, Nintendo do their presentation through their Nintendo-direct exclusively and they present on their booth only the demo of the games which will be available soon after.

- E3 is not the only event in the year. In late August there is the Gamescom and a bit after there is the Paris Games Week. Those two events have their popularity growing while E3 is an event which popularity is consistently decreasing for the past 10 years.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo was waiting for another event which timing fits better their intention. My guess is that they will present the console in a nintendo direct but will wait the gamescom or the PGW to show the NX to the public with actual demo of line up games.

Huddy

What are the chances Nintendo were planning on doing exactly that. Release a regular console that was stronger than PS4 but with Nintendo exclusives, in the hope to simply be the strongest regular offering, only for Sony spies to learn of this and Sony promptly announcing the PS4 Neo. Now Nintendo has to delay NX out of panic to find a new hook and more games.

I think the Neo introduction is more simple than that. Sony want VR to be a success and with the need for a minimum of 60fps, developer feedback presented Sony with a dilemma in that the OG PS4 just doesn't have the necessary power to achieve 60fps without impacting image quality. They simply needed more GPU power.

Nintendo most likely have thier own internal reasons for the selected NX release date.

Did you guys see Koei Tecmo has said they're developing for the NX?

Does this mean NDA's are over for NX as far as devs can say they're working on NX?

spekkeh

Banned
I think the Neo introduction is more simple than that. Sony want VR to be a success and with the need for a minimum of 60fps, developer feedback presented Sony with a dilemma in that the OG PS4 just doesn't have the necessary power to achieve 60fps without impacting image quality. They simply needed more GPU power.

Nintendo most likely have thier own internal reasons for the selected NX release date.
While that could be true, PSVR doesn't really have much in the way of competition, that is, affordable positionally tracked VR. It doesn't need the cutting edge graphics. It does need to remain affordable, which means gating it off for your (by that time) 50m userbase is pretty weird.

All right, so I've had some time to digest this information, so here are my thoughts.

On NX missing out on the 2016:

This is certainly unfortunate. I'm inclined to believe that this decision happened relatively recently. What called for that decision, we really can't say. It could be a software issue, a hardware problem, or some other unforeseen circumstance. I doubt they're avoiding the holidays; I think they would launch for the holidays if they could. If it's not ready, it's not ready. It's a bit concerning about their product, but we can make a decision once we know what it actually is.

On NX not being present at E3 (Or E3 plans in general):

This is the bigger point out of all this, in my opinion. If Nintendo really does plan on launching NX worldwide in/by March 2017, why wouldn't they show it at E3? I can't imagine a case where it's not ready to be shown. After all, we knew about Wii and Wii U long before they released.

Here's my train of thought regarding this.

1. Nintendo wants to reveal NX at their own event.
- This is fine. I have no complaints against this. People keep saying Nintendo wants their own event, but that doesn't mean they can't still show it at E3. They're going to be at E3 anyway. Why wouldn't you want your own event to show off NX, then promote it further at E3? This leads to the next point.

2. Nintendo wants to reveal NX at a point after E3.
- My initial reaction to this is, "Why?" If the thing is supposed to be ready by March 2017, I would have to presume Nintendo can show it now if they wanted. Yet, they insist on keeping their cards close to their chest. The only conclusion I can draw from that decision is:

3. Nintendo wants to reveal NX as close to its release as possible.
- Again, "Why?" I get that people like to point out that Wii U didn't perform well after being shown so early, but Wii U was the culmination of a multitude of mistakes. Showing the console a year later would not have helped its fortunes. It's just really odd to have a machine launch without ever being showcased at an E3. I'm not sure how Nintendo finds this position advantageous.

Even ignoring the fact that NX won't be there, why is Zelda going to be the only game playable on the floor? I know that Nintendo can reveal more games, but why aren't games like Color Splash and Federation Force (ha) playable? They're already at E3; they have the space. It just doesn't make sense to me. On a different note, I really hope they don't go overboard with Zelda, but that's more because I'm too weak to avoid all the information I can get even though I want a fresh first playthrough.

But who knows, maybe they'll surprise me.

Thank you Silent_Ocarina. Continuously to ask why is a very good approach to find out the reason behind a problem. Simple, yet very effective. How about allow me to extend your train of thought?

Apparently, Nintendo wants to narrow the time frame between announcement and actual release of NX. Why?

4. Shorter time frame is beneficial to Nintendo when announcing NX
Behind all decisions from a company, there must be reasons that are advantageous / deemed to be advantageous to the company. Therefore, the shorter time framework must be advantageous (or deemed to be advantageous) to Nintendo regarding revealing NX. Why?

5. NX reveal is time-sensitive
From the decision of shortening the lead time between reveal and launch, Nintendo presents an important message: the reveal of NX is time-sensitive, and soon after the reveal, the machine must be launched. Why?

Now, it is difficult to use logic to continue the searching for root causes as we have too little information regarding NX. However, we may see past information to speculate the reason behind the time-sensitiveness of NX reveal.

That is, 6. NX has something special that the time of reveal is very important.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...and-sony-dont-steal-their-ideas/#45e22ca46ec5

Iwata said:
“We can’t talk about the NX,” Iwata said. “If we do, competitors may take our ideas and customers won’t be surprised.”

Iwata continued, saying that even though the NX was completely new hardware starting “from zero” (no backwards compatibility, perhaps?), Nintendo would continue to support the Wii U and 3DS, with specific focus on revitalizing the Wii U playerbase.

This could explain the time-sensitiveness of NX reveal. Nintendo don't want the competitors to steal the idea. Therefore, Nintendo decided to reveal the NX as close to the launch date as possible.

This is the conclusion. NX has something special that it has to be revealed to the public as close to the launch as possible, and this secrecy is so important that Nintendo could do it at the expense of the sales from holiday at the end of the year. What would be the special feature that keeping Nintendo from revealing the machine? I think we need to wait for a long time to find out the answer.

Did you guys see Koei Tecmo has said they're developing for the NX?

Does this mean NDA's are over for NX as far as devs can say they're working on NX?

I don't think saying you are developing for NX means NDA's are lifted. You are just stating you are working on the system, you aren't giving out specifics with regards to hardware, controllers, etc.

bomma_man

Maybe it's nothing, but did anyone else think it was suspicious that they specified "Worldwide Release" in March of 2017? Holiday shopping seems like it's always a much bigger deal in NA, so I wonder if Nintendo could be setting us up for a surprise.

That probably won't happen, but the wording was just something that caught my eye.

Last time I checked at least half of America still lived on planet earth

I don't think saying you are developing for NX means NDA's are lifted. You are just stating you are working on the system, you aren't giving out specifics with regards to hardware, controllers, etc.
I don't care if they don't tell me the games though lol. I just want to hear Nintendo has third party support

they could very well do a convention thing that's open to the general public. they did a smaller concept version of this in 2001 and 2002 for the gamecube. was really neat in 2001 and not quite as impressive in 2002 (although playing tww early as a non-e3-attending teenager was cool).
I went to a Wii U event in San Antonio the Spring before it launched. It was pretty fun.

orioto

Good Art™
Again, what if, in a really crazy bad logic, Nintendo thinks the real version of Zelda is for WiiU, and it'll be completely ignored if it's released at the same time of a new console, so they pushed back the console just for that.

ha no i realized now they pushed back the game for WiiU to so that doesn't work lol.

Sandfox

Again, what if, in a really crazy bad logic, Nintendo thinks the real version of Zelda is for WiiU, and it'll be completely ignored if it's released at the same time of a new console, so they pushed back the console just for that.

ha no i realized now they pushed back the game for WiiU to so that doesn't work lol.

Nintendo simply doesn't want the Wii U version releasing before the NX version.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
There are some people who don't actually believe Nintendo when they say this thing will be released in March. The no show at e3 makes it look like this thing is nowhere near ready to be shown.

The real issue here though is the thirst for information. Prior to yesterday we believed we'd find out at e3, now its a case of "later this year" which could be as late as October before we learn about it.

Well, NX development consoles have apparently been with some developers since October 2015. That's about a year and 5 months of development time if Nintendo is aiming for a world wide March 2017 console launch.

We also must consider that it's been heavily rumored that Nintendo internally switched over numerous un-announced Wii U projects to NX development.

There was also talk from third party developers saying porting their games from PS4/Xbox One to the NX is extremely easy. "It just works" I believe was one of the quotes from a developer with a NX kit on the relative ease they had porting their game.

So, while in the grand scheme of things a year and 5 months is not a long development cycle for a major game, we know third party developers are getting good support from Nintendo and they're porting their games easily and fast. While Nintendo is working on numerous internal NX titles.

Obviously Nintendo has their ears to the ground and pays attention to what their competitors are doing. While they've stated in the past they're not in an arms race with Sony and MS regarding powerful hardware, it does seem like Nintendo is purposely avoiding the holiday season and plans on launching once Sony and MS owners play through their big releases. Other speculation is that they're waiting on Polaris chips/tech and thus the missing of the holiday season.

Whatever the case, the NX is sounding promising and for once, will give fans graphical prowess on par or better then current gen PS4/Xbox One and possibly slighty stronger than PS4k and Xbox One Two.

I think we may see Nintendo bring back a Space World type show/conference where they really showcase/highlight/praise their third party developers.

E3 has lost alot of it's luster over the years. A dedicated Nintendo extravaganza with a huge NX blowout would be awesome and all eyes would be on them, not split between Sony and MS if they were at E3(and remember that Sony and MS are likely to announce/show off PS4k and Xbox One V. 2

Not

Banned
I feel like that stupid Wii-era mindset of not wanting to "compete" with Sony and Microsoft is what got them into this mess in the first place with constant HD game delays and zero 3rd-party support, and it's going to continue to hurt them more here if that's part of the reason for pushing the NX to March.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Based on what?

I'm saying that based on the rumors/speculation during the 10k/Emily Rogers "leaks/buzz/bullshit" a few weeks back.

I'm pretty sure one of the rumors had it that the NX would potentially be able to compete/keep up with the PS4k. I have no inside knowledge otherwise.

jonno394

I'm saying that based on the rumors/speculation during the 10k/Emily Rogers "leaks/buzz/bullshit" a few weeks back.

I'm pretty sure one of the rumors had it that the NX would potentially be able to compete/keep up with the PS4k. I have no inside knowledge otherwise.

Most of those were disproved so don't get your hopes up, I think the only person who came out with any credibility intact was Emily and she never mentioned anything akin to the PS4K

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

I believe that was one of 10k's "rumors" that Emily Rogers shot down. At least that it would be up to snuff with PS Neo.

RomanceDawn

I can actually understand wanting to reveal the NX with the launch soon after. We saw Wii U at E3 2011 right? Went through E3 2012 into launch at the end of the year and even if all those issues with identity and seemingly unappealing games weren't a factor, that wait sure didn't do the thing any favors.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Let me push back on this theory that Nintendo wants to reveal the NX as close to launch as possible, lest competitors steal ideas.

1. If whatever idea it is (cloud gaming on a multi-device OS, probably?) is so unique, what's the worry about competitors being able to copy it quickly enough to make a difference?

2. Can Nintendo really be building an entire ecosystem so fragile to competition that revealing it 11 months out would be detrimental to the cause?​

I'm not saying this theory is not what Nintendo is thinking -- it probably is! If you consider just how quickly Sony and Microsoft adopted motion sensing and accelerometers, even mid-generation, maybe you can see why. But gooood loooooord is that a thin and weak position in which to be.

More likely, the simpler explanation is easier: they don't have enough to show and/or they're making fundamental changes to their plan based on negative feedback they're seeing through these leaks.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Some new Nintendo games, some Wii U ports, Japanese & indie third party support, some Ubisoft games, & maybe CoD. That's my guess.

And this brings up another issue about not having NX at E3. We will play again my favourite game after Wii U's launch: will this newly announced or shown 3rd party game get a port? We won't know because they probably can't mention NX yet. Can't wait for all the discussions about NX ports. Not.

well there are six games on 3ds that sold over 10 million copies and they're all nintendo games. so nintendo has some sort of big mainstream audience in some way.

And yet those six games haven't stopped 3DS from being Nintendo's worst-selling handheld, nor have they stopped 3DS sales from being in near-continuous decline since 2012.

Nintendo's hardware fanbase isn't insignificant and isn't going to disappear overnight, but they have yet to prove that they're capable of growing it, or even halting its decline.

defferoo

IIRC, 28nm was not ready when WiiU entered production for what Nintendo was trying to make. Hense the old node.

they were building a custom CPU based on PowerPC 750, which was originally built on the 180nm node (Gekko, GameCube CPU), and 90nm (Broadway, Wii CPU). they would have to redo the layout of the processor to get it built at a lower node. this is also why they should have stopped using custom CPUs, they're a LOT more work and you get almost zero benefits compared to something off the shelf.

if they went with one of AMDs x86 CPUs, they'd get a lot of the process node improvements for free (almost).

First-party:

Zelda
Smash port
Mario Maker port
Spla2oon (or Splatoon port)
Pikmin 4
Animal Crossing
Wave Race
Luigi's Mansion 3

I expect this launch for the NX to be the greatest in history.

I know most of us thought the NX was going to release this holiday, but with another 4 months the possibility definitely grows.

I look at Retro Studios who released DKTF in Feb 2014 (game was actually going to release in 2013, but pushed because of 3DWorld) and March 2017 gives them over 3 years for a new title to have worked on.

I wonder if we could see Retros game as a launch title.

Rodin

Thermal design power. The WiiU is a tiny footprint system, and it was initially promised to be a lot more than what was delivered, which they attributed to making a console for the "japanese home" and making it small, quiet, and low in power-draw.

This again? No it wasn't. They only upclocked the CPU from 1GHZ to 1.24 and the GPU from 400MHZ to 550.

RomanceDawn

I can kind of understand Nintendo not wanting competitors to steal their designs but really, from the Gamecube on the only time anyone seemed to copy anything was well after it was proven to be a sales success.

I remember Miyamoto talking about not wanting to reveal Super Mario 64's successor too early because of them worried about ideas getting stolen. Pretty sure those ideas included Flood. I remember Miyamoto or Iwata talking about how they expected their mini discs and the Gamecube control layout to become the standard. For all their talk of ideas getting stolen or adopted the only things that come to mind is the Wii Remote(long after it was a huge success that no one could completely ignore) and one game using Pikmin's structure as its base for game play.

Yeah Sony put that little screen in their DS4 just in case but the market didn't take to the gamepad at all.

I'm not saying Nintendo is wrong for being secretive but sometimes their ideas are so out there almost seemingly just for the sake of being different half the gaming world don't even take them seriously. I'm also not saying that they should show the NX now and it's new feature, I think they should wait until closer to launch but if they think folks are going to steal this idea I hope it's something really significant where it's potential value can be perceived instantly.

KAL2006

Banned
Well, NX development consoles have apparently been with some developers since October 2015. That's about a year and 5 months of development time if Nintendo is aiming for a world wide March 2017 console launch.

We also must consider that it's been heavily rumored that Nintendo internally switched over numerous un-announced Wii U projects to NX development.

There was also talk from third party developers saying porting their games from PS4/Xbox One to the NX is extremely easy. "It just works" I believe was one of the quotes from a developer with a NX kit on the relative ease they had porting their game.

So, while in the grand scheme of things a year and 5 months is not a long development cycle for a major game, we know third party developers are getting good support from Nintendo and they're porting their games easily and fast. While Nintendo is working on numerous internal NX titles.

Obviously Nintendo has their ears to the ground and pays attention to what their competitors are doing. While they've stated in the past they're not in an arms race with Sony and MS regarding powerful hardware, it does seem like Nintendo is purposely avoiding the holiday season and plans on launching once Sony and MS owners play through their big releases. Other speculation is that they're waiting on Polaris chips/tech and thus the missing of the holiday season.

Whatever the case, the NX is sounding promising and for once, will give fans graphical prowess on par or better then current gen PS4/Xbox One and possibly slighty stronger than PS4k and Xbox One Two.

I think we may see Nintendo bring back a Space World type show/conference where they really showcase/highlight/praise their third party developers.

E3 has lost alot of it's luster over the years. A dedicated Nintendo extravaganza with a huge NX blowout would be awesome and all eyes would be on them, not split between Sony and MS if they were at E3(and remember that Sony and MS are likely to announce/show off PS4k and Xbox One V. 2

I did not know about developers saying ease of porting PS4 and PC games to NX. Do you have a link for this?

Griss

If the NX is a handheld, it still makes sense to show off the Wii U version of Zelda at E3 as that would probably remain the superior version.

Are we sure this thing is a home console? If Zelda footage looks far superior to anything the Wii U can produce then I'll be convinced.

Probably has been said many times already, but even IF Nintendo cuts the bullshit and releases a powerful system with a regular controller and no gimmicks, they still need to prove to third parties that they'll be just as easy to work with and for as Sony and Microsoft. I haven't seen anything that suggests such a change in attitude, and it isn't going to happen overnight anyways.

Pinky

Banned
I expect this launch for the NX to be the greatest in history.

I know most of us thought the NX was going to release this holiday, but with another 4 months the possibility definitely grows.

I look at Retro Studios who released DKTF in Feb 2014 (game was actually going to release in 2013, but pushed because of 3DWorld) and March 2017 gives them over 3 years for a new title to have worked on.

I wonder if we could see Retros game as a launch title.

I hope their lineup is stellar. I really do. As for Retro, I would love to see their game at launch. However, if they are doing Metroid, I wouldn't expect it to launch right along with Zelda. I could see it releasing within the launch window, however(maybe 4-6 months from launch day). If it's a new IP or a new take on an existing IP that's been dormant for a long time, then I say bring it at launch.

Indigo Rush

Neo Member
My interpretation of how it went down

oSCkEme.gif

Anth0ny

All right, so I've had some time to digest this information, so here are my thoughts.

On NX missing out on the 2016:

This is certainly unfortunate. I'm inclined to believe that this decision happened relatively recently. What called for that decision, we really can't say. It could be a software issue, a hardware problem, or some other unforeseen circumstance. I doubt they're avoiding the holidays; I think they would launch for the holidays if they could. If it's not ready, it's not ready. It's a bit concerning about their product, but we can make a decision once we know what it actually is.

On NX not being present at E3 (Or E3 plans in general):

This is the bigger point out of all this, in my opinion. If Nintendo really does plan on launching NX worldwide in/by March 2017, why wouldn't they show it at E3? I can't imagine a case where it's not ready to be shown. After all, we knew about Wii and Wii U long before they released.

Here's my train of thought regarding this.

1. Nintendo wants to reveal NX at their own event.
- This is fine. I have no complaints against this. People keep saying Nintendo wants their own event, but that doesn't mean they can't still show it at E3. They're going to be at E3 anyway. Why wouldn't you want your own event to show off NX, then promote it further at E3? This leads to the next point.

2. Nintendo wants to reveal NX at a point after E3.
- My initial reaction to this is, "Why?" If the thing is supposed to be ready by March 2017, I would have to presume Nintendo can show it now if they wanted. Yet, they insist on keeping their cards close to their chest. The only conclusion I can draw from that decision is:

- Again, "Why?" I get that people like to point out that Wii U didn't perform well after being shown so early, but Wii U was the culmination of a multitude of mistakes. Showing the console a year later would not have helped its fortunes. It's just really odd to have a machine launch without ever being showcased at an E3. I'm not sure how Nintendo finds this position advantageous.

Even ignoring the fact that NX won't be there, why is Zelda going to be the only game playable on the floor? I know that Nintendo can reveal more games, but why aren't games like Color Splash and Federation Force (ha) playable? They're already at E3; they have the space. It just doesn't make sense to me. On a different note, I really hope they don't go overboard with Zelda, but that's more because I'm too weak to avoid all the information I can get even though I want a fresh first playthrough.

But who knows, maybe they'll surprise me.

Very good post, and it really does just come down to me asking "Why?" a bunch of times. I don't think it's necessarily a terrible thing on the surface, but Nintendo has done NOTHING in the last gen to get the benefit of the doubt from me. At this point, I look at this and do not see a company with a master plan, I see a company scrambling.

They can't just keep everything a secret, no matter how much they want to. They need to get dev kits to as many devs as possible far in advance of launch so the launch lineup is full. And yes, leaks are going to happen, but who fucking cares? no one cared when PS4/Xbone leaked before their unveil, and now the PS4K is leaking... again, it's not a big deal.

My interpretation of how it went down

oSCkEme.gif

spot on lol

If they could do that, why couldn't they have NX devkits or something available for the press and a conference or E3 Digital Event to talk about it? It doesn't add up.

It doesn't have to add up to you. You aren't the ones making the business decisions.

There are likely 100 reasons Nintendo could give you that WOULD add up, but because it doesn't matter, they choose not to waste time on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom