• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer first look at XboxOne version of Just Cause 3 (hint: it's baaaaaad)

dh4niel

Watched about half the video. 15 minute wait to load a save? That's ridiculous. How can Square Enix release the game like this?

NotLiquid

Boy oh boy.

I do hope the PC version won't let me down. Everything about that one so far (including a demo version I played at a con a while back) looks solid.

McFadge

If the framerate is CPU bound, won't the PS4 see the same framerate issues? I thought the PS4 and Xbox One had very comparable CPUs.

Yikes. This is indefensible. I have an opportunity to try it out but its gonna be hard to justify this with serious performance issues. The way I play is just blowing shit up. Not good.

Alienous

If the framerate is CPU bound, won't the PS4 seem the same framerate issues? I thought the PS4 and Xbox One had very comparable CPUs.

There are videos in the Just Cause 3 Impressions thread of similarly bad PS4 performance during hectic moments.

is that memory leak thing the same shit that happened in ps3 skyrim after a while?

if so can you expect that it gets worse the more hours you play?
not that loading times as long as 15min(thats a record,right?) aren't already worse enough.

wtf??

If the framerate is CPU bound, won't the PS4 see the same framerate issues? I thought the PS4 and Xbox One had very comparable CPUs.

Yup the ps4 version is pretty much just as wrecked in hectic scenes. These console cpu's just can't cope with larger open world type games, with physics etc

Caayn

I find his claims of a memory leak to be a bold statement. Haven't watched the video, but I'd love to know a method to reliable determine if something is a memory leak without consulting debug tools. For all we know it could be a thread stuck in an infinite loop eating up all the resources, or a deadlock for example.
is that memory leak thing the same shit that happened in ps3 skyrim after a while?

if so can you expect that it gets worse the more hours you play?
not that loading times as long as 15min(thats a record,right?) aren't already worse enough.

wtf??
That's not what a memory leak is. That was simply thanks to the save file growing to large for it to fit nicely into the systems memory.

A memory leak is a mistake in the garbage collector, objects are created in memory but are never deleted from memory when they're no longer neccesary.

Lanrutcon

Älg;187265364 said:
So, how does this guy actually know that there are memory leaks?

He reviewed the source code, and through systematic testing and debugging he identified instances where objects weren't being released properly.

...or the game's performance gets progressively more fucked up the longer you play in a single session.

Pick one.

Behlel

That's not what a memory leak is. That was simply thanks to the save file growing to large for it to fit nicely into the systems memory.

A memory is leak is a mistake in the garbage collector, objects are created in memory but are never deleted from memory when they're no longer neccesary.

And like NX said the problem is when you reload a save after a long game session. I don't think the problem is only the game save dimension.

tuxfool

Banned
Älg;187265364 said:

It is a pure supposition. It should also be noted that he hasn't actually stated that things like performance were degrading over time, or that it was consistently crashing after long sessions, just that it crashes sometimes.

That is not to say that a lack of these symptoms means that the game isn't leaking memory, just that the there isn't strong enough evidence to say conclusively.

And like NX said the problem is when you reload a save after a long game session. I don't think the problem is only the game save dimension.

If the game manages to run "properly" after loading the save regardless of how long it takes then it isn't an indication of a memory leak. If that were the case that memory would be lost until the game was reset.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I find his claims of a memory leak to be a bold statement. Haven't watched the video, but I'd love to know a method to reliable determine if something is a memory leak without consulting debug tools. For all we know it could be a thread stuck in an infinite loop eating up all the resources, or a deadlock for example.

A memory is leak is a mistake in the garbage collector, objects are created in memory but are never deleted from memory when they're no longer neccesary.

That sounds about right, either way.

This game doesn't seem all that optimized.

And for all the PC gloating going on in these threads, the requirements to run this game as advertised are pretty fucking high.

The vast majority of people getting roped in are on consoles, so it's on their heads to level out the performance with graphical fidelity .

hesido

This game probably needs the seventh core on the PS4.

I read somewhere they were using the latest possible sdk for the game on Xbox One, meaning they are using some of the 7th core.

Dinjoralo

This seems like the opposite of what most games are doing, I.E. having all the demos on one of the console versions, then the PC version turns out to be naff. Well, I'm happy the PC version isn't naff, but it sucks they didn't take the time to ensure a smooth framerate on the other versions.

UnrealEck

This seems like the opposite of what most games are doing, I.E. having all the demos on one of the console versions, then the PC version turns out to be naff.

The only games I can really think of where that's the case are Batman AK and Mortal Kombat.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Älg;187265364 said:

He took this information from his usual source: his ass. Long loading times are in no sense evidence for memory leaks. He probably doesn't really know what a memory leak is. Because the problem with memory leaks is not that the program needs time to clear memory, it's that it's not clearing some unused memory at all.

A memory leak is a mistake in the garbage collector, objects are created in memory but are never deleted from memory when they're no longer neccesary.

Leaks are not mistakes in a garbage collector. Garbage collectors are actually more reliable at reducing memory leaks. You can still cause memory leaks in garbage-collected languages by unnecessarily retaining references to objects that are not used by the application anymore. But unreferenced objects will be destroyed reliably. The most common cause of memory leaks are bugs in manual memory management. Aside, I highly doubt that garbage-collected languages are even widely used in the core of game engines. Maybe in hosted scripting languages that run on top, but it won't be a common thing in the core of an engine. At most, you'll find something like automatic reference counting, but not garbage collectors that analyze the full object graph.

Hanmik

He took this information from his usual source: his ass. Long loading times are in no sense evidence for memory leaks. He probably doesn't really know what a memory leak is. Because the problem with memory leaks is not that the program needs time to clear memory, it's that it's not clearing some unused memory at all.

I think he opened the command prompt and typed in "mi".. on his Xbox One.. on his Xbox One.

Caayn

Leaks are not mistakes in a garbage collector. Garbage collectors are actually more reliable at reducing memory leaks. You can still cause memory leaks in garbage-collected languages by unnecessarily retaining references to objects that are not used by the application anymore. But unreferenced objects will be destroyed reliably. The most common cause of memory leaks are bugs in manual memory management. Aside, I highly doubt that garbage-collected languages are even widely used in the core of game engines.
Apologies for my wrong use of terminology. I didn't really want to jump into specifics. I should've used memory management instead of garbage collector.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Calm down children the average framerate is 27 fps. Are you spoiled?

The average FPS is not the same as the minimum FPS. We are not talking about just 1-3 dropped frames per second.

Cleve

CPU bound, eh?

I wonder how this is going to run on 'old' i5 2500ks and 3570ks.

Probably fine. Those processors are so far beyond what the consoles are running.

I'll find out soon enough I guess. I'm assuming my 3570 will crush it OC'ed or not.

I hope the PC version runs well without requiring obscenely high-end hardware. Just Cause 2 looked so good on PC and ran so well, but I don't know how the console version was.

Short dips when like a trillion physic intensive calculations are going on. This is unpatchable and unavoidable on these consoles.

a30012ea373c7cf43a3fe4af73e4628d_400x400.jpeg

I was contemplating holding off on buying it, due to negative feedback of its car/gunplay controls, this news has made me so glad I held my resolve last night.

Dude its not even comparable to fo4. I have played probably around the same amount of fo4 as that and havent come across anything as terrible as the fps drops in Just Cause 3. Its honestly a worse technical mess than anything ive seen on the system

very hyperbolic. Can you post evidence? it should be pretty repeatable for a share button upload.

Top Bottom