• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer first look at XboxOne version of Just Cause 3 (hint: it's baaaaaad)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
It's so sad how weak these consoles are. I'm at the point where I want the next gen to start asap. Almost every single game this entire gen has had significant fps drops/poor performance.

Lies.

Hey, guess what: no matter how powerful the next consoles may be, games will underperform on those as well. It has less to do with hardware and more to do with development and engine work.

dr_rus

They use Havok in this game. AFAIK the engine is CPU only still.

They're not just using Havok, I believe that they use some brand new version of Havok called Havok Destruction. This may be the reason why it's performing rather badly at the moment.

ISee

It's so sad how weak these consoles are. I'm at the point where I want the next gen to start asap. Almost every single game this entire gen has had significant fps drops/poor performance.

I remember when I bought my PS3 back in the days when GTA4 came out (first console for me after the Game Boy and Wii). I was shocked how bad it looked and how terrible it ran. Especially because I've read how good looking it is/was. It's not a new thing, sadly.

omonimo

Banned
It's so sad how weak these consoles are. I'm at the point okwhere I want the next gen to start asap. Almost every single game this entire gen has had significant fps drops/poor performance.
Like? Comments like this start to be annoying how completely unfair they are.

MMaRsu

Banned

Quite a few ps4 exclusives do not drop frames. Its a question of developer proficiancy and setting realistic goals.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I remember when I bought my PS3 back in the days when GTA4 came out (first console for me after the Game Boy and Wii). I was shocked how bad it looked and how terrible it ran. Especially because I've read how good looking it is/was. It's not a new thing, sadly.

And then GTA V came along and looked twice as good while running significantly better. Funny that. The point being, one or a few badly performing games aren't reason to condemn an entire console generation. It's about engines, proper utilization of available resources, etc. TW3 is a good example of a game that did run really poorly on one console in particular (the more powerful one), but has now been largely fixed. I don't know if the same is possible here (it might require significant work to move physics over to GPGPU, etc), but anyway.

MMaRsu

Banned
Make up your mind dude and stop talking shit.

Wtf? How am I talking shit? The video I watched doesnt look like it performs on the same level of the retail build AT ALL.

Do you honestly think im fucking lying here?

http://m.ustream.tv/recorded/78678425?rmalang=nl_NL

Cant watch the vid cause it wont load on mobile but thats the first stream I did. Horrible fps on show there.

I have the frigging game, and Im about to sell it. Thats how much the fps bums me out in combination with the horrible loading times.

If you want to question me go right ahead but the proof is in the pudding

MMaRsu

Banned
Yes it is! I have the game already. It plays just like that post patch. I hope they put out another one soon to decrease the challenge reload times and smooth it out a bit. Like I said earlier, it won't (at least I haven't seen it) drop to 0fps like in the xbox one version but you will encounter some slowdowns. Don't think it's related to the server connection because I disconnected it and still does the same thing.

I have the game too and its nowhere near as smooth as in the playstation vid. It looked similar to Giantbombs quicklook in how smooth it ran.

nOoblet16

Yup there has to be atleast one "these consoles are so weak it's sad/hilarious/disappointing" in every one of these threads...atleast once. Even if it's due to a development oversight and not the machies themselves.

FYI...we've never had games that ran as stable and as consistent as the games we've had this gen. So you are wrong.

Hedrush

Wtf? How am I talking shit? The video I watched doesnt look like it performs on the same level of the retail build AT ALL

It's really not that hard to work out. Your talking shit by stating the video running the PS4 Version is inffact the PC Version, when it quite clearly is the PS4 version.

EvB

They're not just using Havok, I believe that they use some brand new version of Havok called Havok Destruction. This may be the reason why it's performing rather badly at the moment.

this is the reason that MS bought Havoc, to make sure Just Cause 3 ran ok

According to a site of his as of November 2014:
I don't watch anything of his but it's hard to believe that with all the money he's making and everything that his PC is still only running a 760 in 2015. Does he normally play console games? o_O
Metal Gear Solid V. Solid 60 FPS.

Metal Gear Solid V isn't exactly a technical marvel as some try to make it out to be. It's a game that's abundantly obvious that it started and had much of its life as a game built around last gen limitations. JC3 is doing A LOT more than MGSV, especially with physics.

MMaRsu

Banned
It's really not that hard to work out. Your talking shit by stating the video running the PS4 Version is inffact the PC Version, when it quite clearly is the PS4 version.

Aww you call that talking shit?

Lol

I was saying that the game in that video of Playstation Access doesnt seem to resemble my retail build. I came out a bit harsh and stated that that was not the PS4 version, but even from looking at the vid it looks more like the smoothness of the PC version.

It doesnt resemble anything I've played, smoothness wise.

Yeah maybe when you are standing on a fucking mountain and nothing is going on, yeah.

ISee

And then GTA V came along and looked twice as good while running significantly better. Funny that. The point being, one or a few badly performing games aren't reason to condemn an entire console generation. It's about engines, proper utilization of available resources, etc. TW3 is a good example of a game that did run really poorly on one console in particular (the more powerful one), but has now been largely fixed. I don't know if the same is possible here (it might require significant work to move physics over to GPGPU, etc), but anyway.

Did we play the same GTA V on PS3? It might look better then GTA 4, but the performance wise it is still a disaster (or at least it was when I played it).
And of course I am not dooming an entire console generation, there are some outstanding games (visually and performance wise). I was just pointing out that bad performing games happened in every generation, it's nothing new.

Hedrush

Aww you call that talking shit?

Lol

I was saying that the game in that video of Playstation Access doesnt seem to resemble my retail build. I came out a bit harsh and stated that that was not the PS4 version, but even from looking at the vid it looks more like the smoothness of the PC version.

So because the video doesn't resemble your retail build you claim its not the PS4 Version. Yes, that's talking shit.

I skimmed through your 3 hour video on Ustream trying to find the explosive sections. I watched for a good 20 minutes and I'm not seeing the game breaking fps drops you mention. I'm not saying your lying, I just can't see them.

hesido

Because rigid body physics are better off on the CPU. There is a reason my most if not all GPU physic simulations are limited to gameplay-innocuous stuff (hair, clothing, dense particles).

The reason for that gameplay / eye fancy separation is mostly due to the separate RAM pools on the PC. On the consoles, this is no longer the case. A GPU physics object can have the AI react to it without needing to copy memory around.

Of course the GPU is already pretty busy on Consoles so they wouldn't want the CPU to sit idly doing nothing, but this could have been a really perfect case for heterogenous computing on the consoles if the devs had infinite(!) time like some first party studios

The reason for that gameplay / eye fancy separation is mostly due to the separate RAM pools on the PC. On the consoles, this is no longer the case. A GPU physics object can have the AI react to it without needing to copy memory around.

Of course the GPU is already pretty busy on Consoles so they wouldn't want the CPU to sit idly doing nothing, but this could have been a really perfect case for heterogenous computing on the consoles if the devs had infinite(!) time like some first party studios

Do we actually know to what extent / how high such combined (heterogeneous) computing scales up? Like, would it be possible to track 100s to thousands of objects in a modern game?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Funny you should mention XV, Avalanche's engine people were last reported to be 'pitching in' on XV's open world sections

Just in case you didn't have enough reason to worry about that particular title.
I don't really think this means much of anything. It's not like FFXV needs to display the types of physics interactions seen in JC3. Mad Max ran very consistently on consoles already.

Of course, XV's demo version runs like dogshit but I'd like to remain hopeful that they will address those issues.

I don't really think this means much of anything. It's not like FFXV needs to display the types of physics interactions seen in JC3. Mad Max ran very consistently on consoles already.

Of course, XV's demo version runs like dogshit but I'd like to remain hopeful that they will address those issues.

Sure, I was just poking fun. But I'm nevertheless worried about the frankenstein's monster they're building to run all of XV's various systems and what taxes will get paid in the pipeline to render a single frame, or during loading sequences.

hesido

Do we actually know to what extent / how high such combined (heterogeneous) computing scales up? Like, would it be possible to track 100s to thousands of objects in a modern game?

I'm sure there would be many problems to tackle game programming-wise. But a GPU only solution could have been used on consoles, due to the shared memory pool l, but like I said GPU is probably already saturated. And they do have to use a middleware solution for their destruction due to, again, having a limited time, so they have to make do what the middleware offers, and they have to make something that work on all platforms.

I'm just trying to point out that GPU is not bad with rigid body physics, the inefficiencies come from not only having to render the view, but also having to copy back to CPU accessible mem pool on the PC's.

dogen

I am not sure if you are wrong, because I have honestly no clue as to what is happening always in a single frame in this game. But the type of physics on display seem to be normal rigid body physics, which has been customarily always been done on the CPU, even in engines that otherwise use GPU physics. The reasons for which are because CPUs tend to do it "better" as I understand it. If some game world object interacts with gameplay code, and is not just purely visual, then you can bet that you want the CPU to be on it afai understand!

I believe it's partially down to latency. On console you might be ok running gameplay physics on the GPU. PC, probably not without a lot of work.

dogen

Is this true or tales from ones ass?

I don't think anyone who hasn't worked with the hardware can make an honest judgement on it so far.

Maybe JC3 is just doing too much at once, but we don't really know.

edit - Just watched digital foundry's comparison with the 1.01. Performance was noticeably better than NXs video, I guess he wasn't using the patch.

I'm sure there would be many problems to tackle game programming-wise. But a GPU only solution could have been used on consoles, due to the shared memory pool l, but like I said GPU is probably already saturated.

At which point, it begs the quesiton: Even if if there is no problem in communicating all the necessary data between CPU and GPU, is there even enough head room for an added GPU load ? Especially in modern games that seem to use as much as they can get? Also, would you really want to spend precious GPU time making up for something the CPU should be doing anyway in a normal scenario if it were not so weak?

The latency thing is something I full comprehended before hand though (this was the go to "next gen" will destroy thing in pre-release threads), but inspite of this theoretical discussion that happened on the outset of the gen, heterogenous computing has yet to be a game changer IMO. I have yet to see any game this gen taking advantage of this kind of stuff on consoles, especially in games that do normal... you know... gamey things. Or at least, I have not noticed in any presentations put out yet by devs. AFAI understand it (and please correct me if I am wrong), even alternative rendering in "dreams" is not really leveaging heterogenous computing... but rather... it is exploiting awesome stuff hidden away in GCN?
I believe it's partially down to latency. On console you might be ok running gameplay physics on the GPU. PC, probably not without a lot of work.

Well of course. But that I was mainly talking about consoles anyway.

hesido

At which point, it begs the quesiton: Even if if there is no problem in communicating all the necessary data between CPU and GPU, is there even enough head room for an added GPU load ? Especially in modern games that seem to use as much as they can get? Also, would you really want to spend precious GPU time making up for something the CPU should be doing anyway in a normal scenario if it were not so weak?

The latency thing is something I full comprehended before hand though (this was the go to "next gen" will destroy thing in pre-release threads), but inspite of this theoretical discussion that happened on the outset of the gen, heterogenous computing has yet to be a game changer IMO. I have yet to see any game this gen taking advantage of this kind of stuff on consoles, especially in games that do normal... you know... gamey things. Or at least, I have not noticed in any presentations put out yet by devs. AFAI understand it (and please correct me if I am wrong), even alternative rendering in "dreams" is not really leveaging heterogenous computing... but rather... it is exploiting awesome stuff hidden away in GCN?

I believe it's a matter of design. Do you want fancier and more complex graphics shaders and have the CPU do the physics, or less fancier and simpler graphics with complex physics that do effect gameplay on the GPU. Obviously the latter option is not available to devs when developing also for the PC due to added latency, and the fancier graphics wins of course. Which effectively shuts down that option for "mainstream" projects.

Then again even first parties have yet to use GPU physics in that way, from what I've seen so far so I guess it's probably not that easy. Dreams does not seem to be using heterogeneous compute, as you've already said, but I'm wondering to which extent they are using GPU for physics, maybe for distance fields objects, GPU physics is the way to go?

VGA222

Banned
This is the second Xbox One video that NX Gamer has done where there is a 0fps drop that Digital Foundry did not find. I wonder what's going on here.

thelastword

Banned
This is the second Xbox One video that NX Gamer has done where there is a 0fps drop that Digital Foundry did not find. I wonder what's going on here.
There's a lot that's highlighted in Nxgamer's videos that you don't see elsewhere, quite a lot of informative data tbh....

Top Bottom