• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYPD is running stings against minority stores, then pushing for warrantless searches

Status
Not open for further replies.
there goes the bootstraps argument.

can't even bootstrap when they grab a beer and throw a dollar on the counter then run out just to come back and fuck you over.

Filth

" But seven months later — the week before Christmas — cops arrived at the laundromat again. This time, they slapped a neon sticker on the front door declaring in block letters: “RESTRAINING ORDER.”

After the store buys numerous items over and over the precinct notifies the better buisness bureau which then comes down with the police to shut the store down. I've never dealt with a laundromat but for me it's usually pawn stores that aren't documenting the items that are being sold To them which legally you need to. And in all cases you tell the store the items are stolen.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm not defending. I'm describing to you my example from first hand experience. I'm not sugar coating any of my facts. I'm describing exactly what we do. And the article isn't describing things correctly. I'm not here to change your opinion I'm just trying to describe to you what's exactly done.

You don't need to sugarcoat anything, the statistics and the testimonials from the people say otherwise.

Permanently A

" But seven months later — the week before Christmas — cops arrived at the laundromat again. This time, they slapped a neon sticker on the front door declaring in block letters: “RESTRAINING ORDER.”

After the store buys numerous items over and over the precinct notifies the better buisness bureau which then comes down with the police to shut the store down. I've never dealt with a laundromat but for me it's usually pawn stores that aren't documenting the items that are being sold To them which legally you need to. And in all cases you tell the store the items are stolen.

Where in the article do you see that the laundromat was purchasing the stolen items? As far as I can tell it was patrons inside the laundromat, not the business owner himself.

Kenstar

I'm not defending. I'm describing to you my example from first hand experience. I'm not sugar coating any of my facts. I'm describing exactly what we do. And the article isn't describing things correctly. I'm not here to change your opinion I'm just trying to describe to you what's exactly done.

They literally put a plant in a laundromat and had him sell to a random customer and pinned it on the laundromat owner as facilitating sale of stolen goods

or how about the of age plant purchasing alcohol legally and giving it to the underage plant, then charging the bartender with underage sales

Everyone knows about pawn shop stolen goods stings and cops sending in planted minors to pretend to have forgot their ID in gas stations/bars, this isn't the norm

Hell my brother was charged after he bought smokes for a cop plant outside a gas station who pretended she lost her ID but needed cigs. The fucking store owner wasn't charged with shit like facilitating underage sales of tobacco, unlike here

Herbs

Banned
Where in the article do you see that the laundromat was purchasing the stolen items? As far as I can tell it was patrons inside the laundromat, not the business owner himself.

It's right there. In that made up place in his fucking head, duh. He's got first hand experience and doesn't need no stinking facts in well researched articles. Man, if only people would listen to the apologist there would be no problem. Geeeeezzzzz

jmood88

You're here making shit up in an attempt to claim that the nypd isn't being racist.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

Your username is apt for your behaviour.

Filth

It's right there. In that made up place in his fucking head, duh. He's got first hand experience and doesn't need no stinking facts in well researched articles. Man, if only people would listen to the apologist there would be no problem. Geeeeezzzzz

I do everything I just described. But it's all in my head ok.

commedieu

Banned
Lookout everyone!!!!

They've got an anecdote!!!!!!

Nothing to see here. Just gaf race baiting as per yuge. The nypd is a model pd.

Guevara

Every city has places that harbor, or at least ignore, fencing stolen goods. And there are bodegas that absolutely profit from selling to minors. For those places the nuisance law at least makes sense. Show a steady pattern, prove the owners know, and yeah eventually even force them out.

But this just seems stupid and counterproductive.

darscot

The businesses that buy the stolen items are usually bodegas and jewelry stores.

And it's never a " let's just go test this store " it's from stores known to buy stolen property.

Known how, a hunch, racially profiled, they have been previously convicted of selling stolen property?

It's an interesting ecosystem, the most corrupt police mobs are running rampant in America's most liberal cities, often the most populous with minorities.

wzQmZvu.gif

Gotta make room for gentrification.

Make sure the minority business owners are kicked out of the neighborhood one way or another so big corps and high end development take over.
For the ones that don't immediately settle and offer to take card reader/camera installations in their stores to stay in business. Everyone in the community is screwed no matter what choice you make once the cops are done with you. Even choosing not to open a small business just lets large chains take over anyway.

fuck

Kettch

It's nice that that is how you do things, but the problem is that this thread is not about you. The police in the article are clearly not doing what you describe.

You started off in this thread attempting to defend them with your anecdotes, which is what has gotten people riled up.

They do it in every neihborhoood not just minorities. They tell the people the items are stolen and need to get rid of them quick. They get the information of which stores to do this in by debriefing prisoners who burglarize people's houses and then ask them where they sell the stolen property. It's not just random.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

No one gives a fuck about your feelings right now, dude.

People are being oppressed by the people who are supposed to be protecting them.

Get over yourself.

Jackpot

Banned

None of that occurred. Hence the news coverage.

It's at a laundromat, and the owner isn't involved at any stage.

cameron

Cho was facing a nuisance abatement action, civil lawsuits intended to uproot persistent illegal activities by targeting the locations they stem from. Nuisance abatement became city law in the 1970s as a tool to clean up the sex industry in Times Square.

But today it’s being used quite differently — often ensnaring legal mom-and-pop shops that are almost exclusively located in minority neighborhoods, a Daily News and ProPublica investigation found.

Owners interviewed for this story, all first- and second-generation immigrants, say they felt entrapped and then strong-armed into signing settlements with steep fines and onerous conditions. The stipulations often allow for sweeping surveillance, such as warrantless searches and unbridled police access to video cameras. They also permit the NYPD to automatically fine and padlock a store should another allegation arise — all without giving merchants the opportunity to defend themselves in court.
“You never see the white bar owner from the Meatpacking District in here; it’s always some bodega owner from Uptown,” said the judge, who asked not to be named. “It’s a complete double standard.”
Standard predatory behaviour. Target people who would unlikely have the resources to fight back legally. The burden would be too high if you're making just enough to get by.

What you just described isn't how it's done at all.
I was going to make a joke about an apologist dropping a random quote from a police forum/blog stating that none of this is true. Nice to see we have a firsthand denial this time around.

Armaros

So you are not defending or sugarcoating it but using your own personal anecdote to say the reporting is wrong.

Yeah okay.

They do it in every neihborhoood not just minorities. They tell the people the items are stolen and need to get rid of them quick. They get the information of which stores to do this in by debriefing prisoners who burglarize people's houses and then ask them where they sell the stolen property. It's not just random.
Learn to read.

This is pointing out the blatant disproportionate amount of which such is done to minority-owned businesses in predominant minority neighborhoods.

Well shit. You just made a #fact.

I guess my point is, it's noteworthy that the liberal politicians running these cities don't seem to do shit about these abhorrent police tactics. Considering none of this is really news, you could even say they're complicit. And yet minorities vote for these politicians.

Obviously Republicans aren't really any better, but it really puts into perspective how the Democrats mostly just give lip service to minorities and can (and have been) completely take their votes for granted on issues like this. Hell, some of these guys doing it, like Rahm Emmanuel, are best friends with the first black President!

How can you NOT be disillusioned when faced with that kind of situation? It's so crazy fucked up.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
So you work for the NYPD on these operations?

I guess my point is, it's noteworthy that the liberal politicians running these cities don't seem to do shit about these abhorrent police tactics. Considering none of this is really news, you could even say they're complicit. And yet minorities vote for these politicians.

Obviously Republicans aren't really any better, but it really puts into perspective how the Democrats mostly just give lip service to minorities and can (and have been) completely take their votes for granted on issues like this. Hell, some of these guys doing it, like Rahm Emmanuel, are best friends with the first black President!

How can you NOT be disillusioned when faced with that kind of situation? It's so crazy fucked up.

The differences between Republicans and Democrats are wider than the distance between the earth and the moon, even if dems are only playing lip service. Living in NC to a far right governor makes this clear as day to me.

Every city has places that harbor, or at least ignore, fencing stolen goods. And there are bodegas that absolutely profit from selling to minors. For those places the nuisance law at least makes sense. Show a steady pattern, prove the owners know, and yeah eventually even force them out.

But this just seems stupid and counterproductive.

But the map shows they aren't even trying to apply the law evenly. Why?

Binabik15

I doubt he'll post in the thread again.

Also fuck the police

You're so sad to see him go that you had to light the apologist signal, eh? I say three people will take offense, anyone bidding more?

On the story itself, WTF USA, HOW can you let your police walk all over you like that? All those stories are truly scary. Time to get a completly new police force, maybe this time with actual training over several years and education requirements. Works for many of the richer European nations.

You're so sad to see him go that you had to light the apologist signal, eh? I say three people will take offense, anyone bidding more?

On the story itself, WTF USA, HOW can you let your police walk all over you like that? All those stories are truly scary. Time to get a completly new police force, maybe this time with actual training over several years and education requirements. Works for many of the richer European nations.

There are educational requirements, unfortunately they have a maximum IQ requirement and not a minimum one.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

The city's tough-talking top cop had a strong message Thursday for bodega owners railing against targeted stings and unfair crackdowns: Get used to it.

Police Commissioner Bill Bratton said the nuisance abatement law is a critical law enforcement tool against bodegas that sell alcohol and cigarettes to minors. Law-abiding store owners have nothing to worry about, he said.

“We have and will continue, and I will emphasize that, we will continue to aggressively enforce nuisance abatement as a cornerstone of our efforts to keep neighborhoods safe,” Bratton said.

“Nuisance abatement is that tool,” he said. “I like it, and we’re gonna keep using it.”

Bratton said Thursday that enforcement is generally based on complaints, not race.

“Complaints from neighborhood residents, complaints from politicians, complaints from our police officers,” he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom