• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYPD kill a man after he breaks up a fight between others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course this took place in NYC and they will get nothing more than paid vacation. When will people start doing something about this.

There is no doubt that police brutality has been on an upslope in frequency, and this is not a good sign for any nation. You have to keep in mind only a very tiny fraction of such incidents even make it to recorded footage which the press can get a hold of.

In a world with a justice system that works as intended, those cops should be standing on trial for murder.

I wouldn't say it's on the "upslope" because the public is more exposed to it due to camera phones. I'm certain that worse than this has happened before, covered up, with not even a slap on the wrist, simply because there was no evidence.

CoolOff

I'm just wondering, is there any public outcry in the States over this? Granted you have a way larger population so more incidents are expected, but even one incident caught on tape like this over here would fill the airwaves for weeks. The police would have to punish whoever did it just based on public pressure.

Calibus

And why should I be sympathetic when one of these scum in uniform is killed again? I'm done trying to even feel any kind of remote sympathy for them. They are sub-human in my eyes from now on.

At the video’s end, the cop who had choke-held Garner can be seen staring at the camera that was videotaping him.

“This had nothing to do with the fight, this had something to do with something else,” the cop said, and walked away.

jenniferlawrenceok.gif

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
These pieces of shit.... I'll stop myself. So sick of trash getting off with a slap on the wrist for committing murder. Nothing will ever change until these pieces of shit in uniform that commit these crimes are actually punished.

I'm just wondering, is there any public outcry in the States over this? Granted you have a way larger population so more incidents are expected, but even one incident caught on tape like this over here would fill the airwaves for weeks. The police would have to punish whoever did it just based on public pressure.

The mentality is that as long as this is happening in the poorer parts of the country they are just cleaning up the streets.

American police are scum.

I'me sure that what ever country you is a virtual paradise. America is LITERALLY the worst country in the world right?

hwateber

To imply that that is indicative of the behavior of most police officers in America is nonsense.

Are some police officers bad people? Sure.
Are most police officers bad people? No.
Well, with the amount of officers in this video I would say that was more than just "some." Obviously not all of them are bad, but enough shit goes on that those kind of broad statements are at least mildly acceptable.

America's largest gang, folks

E92 M3

And why should I be sympathetic when one of these scum in uniform is killed again? I'm done trying to even feel any kind of remote sympathy for them. They are sub-human in my eyes from now on.

It's unfortunate, I do know some good cops who do their best for society.

ironmang

My guess would be cops still riding the 9/11 hero fame. Media doesn't want to look unpatriotic by siding against them.

I'm from NYC and that's why I don't try to play hero if I see someone fighting I mind my own business sadly due to things of this nature.

Jito

Banned
American policing is brutal. Why is violence the first step to resorting a situation every time in these videos?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
To imply that that is indicative of the behavior of most police officers in America is nonsense.

The problem is that justice should be served even to police members.
Nobody should be above the law.

American policing is brutal. Why is violence the first step to resorting a situation every time in these videos?

There have been a few instances where police were killed for not acting fast enough. Just try to remember that most of these guys are putting themselves in harms way 7 days a week. It can mess with your nerves.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

Because they can get away with it. The citizenry cant do anything about it and the "good" police look the other way.

abadguy

Banned
Grew up having to deal with these assholes. Me and my friends were constantly harassed by them and often they wouldn't hesitate to hurl slurs and other shit our way. Most of these shit bags are from Long Island or fucking Howard Beach, that came to our neighborhoods to fuck with us.

But we got off pretty lucky compared to cases like this, Sean Bell the list goes on....

Siegcram

There have been a few instances where police were killed for not acting fast enough. Just try to remember that most of these guys are putting themselves in harms way 7 days a week. It can mess with your nerves.
If they can't handle the stress of talking to an overweight asthmatic without choking him to death, they probably have the wrong job.

jay

The thing you have to remember about constant cases of police brutality is that this is just one bad apple and in no way a systemic problem.

Nephtis

Get the fuck out of here with that lame ass excuse.

I don't care that most cops are good people, I care that while it's a small number overall, it's a growing trend and absolutely nothing is being done about it. We are usually told that "after an internal investigation was conducted, no wrongdoing by the police officer(s) in question was found".

And this shit isn't seen in a single area, it's all over the nation.

Poor fucking guy. At best, this was manslaughter with intent to cause harm. I mean, for God's sake, what the hell was he actually doing...?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
RIP

Cops should be terminated from their jobs. At least one.

Ball is in NYC hands. Country is huge. Citizens in North Dakota cant always care what happens on another part of the planet in Southern Florida.

On the other hand, I'd argue this is perfectly indicative of the behavior of the NYPD. Why is it that I could guess the race of the victim before I even clicked on the video? It's because we have mountains of evidence showing who they prey upon in these neighborhoods, and who is subject to unjust search & seizure, and who is brutalized without just cause. How can anyone argue that the NYPD is mostly good cops with the numbers we have?

http://www.nyclu.org/content/stop-and-frisk-data

That's 12 years of cold, hard data screaming "hey, this is kind of weird, huh?"

If these officers aren't all fired immediately for killing an innocent man, isn't that an indictment of their entire department?

Protein

Banned
Ever since I got called a "wetback" by a cop in Louisiana I've been terrified of southern cops, and maybe just cops in general.

hwalker84

None as long as it's mostly minorities facing the brunt of police brutality and murders.

Get the fuck out of here with that lame ass excuse.

I don't care that most cops are good people, I care that while it's a small number overall, it's a growing trend and absolutely nothing is being done about it. We are usually told that "after an internal investigation was conducted, no wrongdoing by the police officer(s) in question was found".

And this shit isn't seen in a single area, it's all over the nation.

It's not an excuse, it's a statistical probability.

I agree that these asshole cops need to be thrown in jail/fired. My point is that implying that most police officers behave this way is hyperbole.

I agree that these asshole cops need to be thrown in jail/fired. My point is that implying that most police officers behave this way is hyperbole.

You won't even find police officers on GAF, where they are completely anonymous, saying anything against fellow cops, even in these situations. The "good" cops who work with the bad cops are complicit in their crimes just by their silence.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

If the "good" cops are either unable or unwilling to pursue justice when it comes to their fellows then there are no good cops.

Mumei

Chokehold? Gosh, that sounds familiar....

461 U.S. 95 (1983) was a United States Supreme Court decision holding that the plaintiff, Adolph Lyons, lacked standing to challenge the city police department's alleged chokehold policy. Lyons, an African American, had been subjected to a chokehold after being stopped for a traffic violation. He sought both compensatory damages for the chokehold, and declaratory and injunctive relief against the department's chokehold policy (he introduced evidence that from 1975 to 1983, sixteen people, including twelve African Americans, had been killed by police chokeholds). In an opinion authored by Justice White, the Court held, 5-4, that Lyons had failed to allege a sufficiently plausible threat of future injury to have standing for an injunction; Lyons did, however, have standing for his damages action, since this was retrospective and the injury--being subjected to the chokehold--was concrete and particular.

To clarify: Lyons was stopped by officers and placed in a chokehold that left him unconscious, spitting up blood, having urinated and defecated on himself, and with permanent damage to his larynx; he sued to stop the chokehold practice that had already killed sixteen men in L.A, including twelve black men.. The Court ruled that he would have to prove that he was planning on having an encounter with the police (committing a crime), that the police - all of them - would always use the chokehold, and that the City ordered the police to do this. The Court ruled that he did not have standing because of his inability to prove these things.

In other words, good luck getting the NYPD to stop doing this.

If the "good" cops are either unable or unwilling to pursue justice when it comes to their fellows then there are no good cops.

Ok I'm getting demolished over this so I'm just gonna back out of the thread. It just irks me when generalizations like that are made. That's all.

The man died for breaking up a fight between others. NYPD accused him of selling untaxed ciggies and then ganged up on him with chokes and slams. What a way to go. And then people act surprised when cases like Chris Dorner happen.

Im just shocked an angry mob didnt attack the cops for murder.

Because at this point, thats what its going to take top start changing policies. The chiefs and mayor arent going to do jack shit. They give the cops free reign to do what they want, when they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom