• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYPD kill a man after he breaks up a fight between others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Note to self, don't go to America. Guess we are lucky in Australia that crime goes only as far as gang wars, and even they are somewhat polite in where they do it (i.e isolated incidents). Police here can be a bit rough, but most are out there doing a good job and understand how to use force appropriately.

justjohn

Note to self, don't go to America. Guess we are lucky in Australia that crime goes only as far as gang wars, and even they are somewhat polite in where they do it (i.e isolated incidents).
If you're white you've got nothing to worry about from the police.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Im just shocked an angry mob didnt attack the cops for murder.

Because at this point, thats what its going to take top start changing policies. The chiefs and mayor arent going to do jack shit. They give the cops free reign to do what they want, when they want.

If I just witnessed a gang murder someone I'm not going to confront them either.

Starting a riot has historically resulted in more changes to police policies than angry internet comments.

You start damaging property because of police brutality and suddenly city hall starts to give a shit.

Yep. If you know your history of the world you soon begin to understand that violence actually is the answer. Especially when dealing with people that believe they are untouchable gods.

Are the NYPD lowering the hiring bar now? Why are there 4 midgets and a guy sucking down doughnuts needed to take one 1 400 lb man?

Also, why the fuck does SI police need what looks like a dozen cops for this one man?

This really makes the cops that do good police work look really bad.A lot of the people from SI are pretty shitty.

Dinosur

OT: I have read somewhere that LiveLeak is previously known as Ogrish.com

Is this true ?

Not that I know of. Ogrish Forum is still going strong. Well, for content. The posts, yikes. I just dunno if they've accepted new members in YEARS.

When are Americans going to take a stand against this kind of thing? And by ‘take a stand’ I don’t mean ‘post snarky comments about a paid vacation online’.

The London riots were over the police shooting a known gangster who they reasonably believed to be armed. The story dominated the national news for weeks and people lost their jobs over it after a massive public enquiry.

The only difference between this and an old fashioned lynching is that the guy choked to death on the ground instead of hanging from a tree. And what are the chances that anyone other than the guy’s family will show any anger? As far as I’m concerned, any New Yorker who doesn’t protest in the streets demanding the cop be arrested, or at the very least fired, will be equally as responsible as the next cop who fancies playing WWE with a citizen in next week’s police brutality case.

For fucks sake America, where is your outrage? A government should fear its citizens, not the other way round. The reason they get away with this day in, day out is because you allow it.

Aswell

Sad story.
It seems that there is a new thread every week about innocent people killed by someone of the American police.

There is something clearly fucking wrong here but whenever you complain about brutality culture the #NOTALLCOPS brigade arrives and acts like that's a suitable response to these tragedies that keep fucking happening.

WOW! The man even complains about police harassment in the video, asking them to leave him alone. He stood up for himself, tired of the endless police harassment against him and then they fucking kill him doing what he told them to stop fucking doing.

This is the NYPD, you can't make this shit up.

BossLackey

Gold Member
How could they be that stupid?

You lay any 300lb man on his stomach without the use of his hands, he's going to have a really hard time breathing. Then you pile several officers on top of him (for some reason) and you're surprised he died? Fucking morons.

Less for sure. But not nothing.

In 2010, your chances of being stop & frisked by a police officer while white were 54,810 out of ~3,646,109, or 1.5%.

In 2010, your chances of being stop & frisked by a police officer while black were 315,083 out of ~2,043,783, or 15.0%.

A 10-fold relative difference, a 6-fold absolute difference.

WOW! The man even complains about police harassment in the video, asking them to leave him alone. He stood up for himself, tired of the endless police harassment against him and then they fucking kill him doing what he told them to stop fucking doing.

This is the NYPD.

Having grown up in the tri-state area, I've accepted the reality that it's basically bargaining your life to argue with cops. No matter what the level of frustration, you have to let that shit stew, because they will hurt you, and they will get away with it. That is the reality of the situation.

I can't even watch the video because liveleak is not loading, however this is disgusting and it's no where near surprising it was the NYPD. They are scum and that's all there is too it. For every one "good cop" there is 25 bad ones. It's the reality out here.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
There is something clearly fucking wrong here but whenever you complain about brutality culture the #NOTALLCOPS brigade arrives and acts like that's a suitable response to these tragedies that keep fucking happening.

Yeah. They would have a point if these police brutality/murder stories didn't almost always end with rest of their department rallying around them in defense and a paid vacation.

Swine, I'm no witch but I will still curse you and your ilk. May your lives collapse around you, may you live in despair, may the tortured souls of your victims torment your daily thoughts, may your nights be restless and full of fear, may you encounter the wrong motherfucker in life when you least expect it.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
FUCK AGAIN, I knew what it was gonna be before watching the vid....

Why Do they INSIST on PUTTING THEIR KNEES ON PEOPLE's NECK and HEAD??

I cant stand seeing that, every time a group a cops are arresting a person...

CrankyJay

Banned
Note to self, don't go to America. Guess we are lucky in Australia that crime goes only as far as gang wars, and even they are somewhat polite in where they do it (i.e isolated incidents). Police here can be a bit rough, but most are out there doing a good job and understand how to use force appropriately.

Yeah, American cops will randomly pile on top of you.

To imply that that is indicative of the behavior of most police officers in America is nonsense.

Are some police officers bad people? Sure.
Are most police officers bad people? No.

Don't know anymore. Didn't seem like any of the officers in that large group decided there wasn't any good reason to harass this guy. It's more clear that having each others backs, and escalating harmless situations in more the norm. Protect and Serve is no longer the motto, turn petty crimes into something arrest worthy to bump your numbers is the game now.

I have been harassed by cops plenty of times in my life. I have seen cops abusing their power, to get what they want.

I harbor no sympathy for the police. This is disgusting, but it's not going to change anything. Cops still gonna be cops, and murder the people they promised to protect. I'm tired of hearing of these stories.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Chokehold? Gosh, that sounds familiar....

To clarify: Lyons was stopped by officers and placed in a chokehold that left him unconscious, spitting up blood, having urinated and defecated on himself, and with permanent damage to his larynx; he sued to stop the chokehold practice that had already killed sixteen men in L.A, including twelve black men.. The Court ruled that he would have to prove that he was planning on having an encounter with the police (committing a crime), that the police - all of them - would always use the chokehold, and that the City ordered the police to do this. The Court ruled that he did not have standing because of his inability to prove these things.

In other words, good luck getting the NYPD to stop doing this.

Wouldn't it be more reasonable to assert that all that matters is that you MIGHT be committing a crime in order to be approached/detained by police in this manner? If they were to bring up instances in which perfectly innocent individuals who reasonably complied with police directions and were still permanently harmed via chokehold, wouldn't they have standing?

In 2010, your chances of being stop & frisked by a police officer while white were 54,810 out of ~3,646,109, or 1.5%.

In 2010, your chances of being stop & frisked by a police officer while black were 315,083 out of ~2,043,783, or 15.0%.

A 10-fold relative difference, a 6-fold absolute difference.

QUOTE=ssolitare;121591231]WOW! The man even complains about police harassment in the video, asking them to leave him alone. He stood up for himself, tired of the endless police harassment against him and then they fucking kill him doing what he told them to stop fucking doing.

This is the NYPD.
Getting stopped and frisked isn't the only way to be harassed or ignored by the cops. You're lying to yourself if you honestly think that cops aren't assholes to white people too. Obviously not at the same level, which is why I said it's not at the same level, but I've been harassed multiple times by cops and I'm your average white male.

I've been laughed at while I was looking for help for my friend who was being followed and verbally berated by a drunk woman. I've been stopped in neighborhoods and accused of buying drugs because the cops couldn't think of any other reason I'd be in the neighborhood I was in. I've been stopped and frisked because of the way I was dressed. I've seen cops cat call female friends of mine for just standing on the street outside of her job.

You don't get a pass from asshole cops just because you're white. Asshole cops are looking to be asshole cops to whoever they can.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
To imply that that is indicative of the behavior of most police officers in America is nonsense.

Are some police officers bad people? Sure.
Are most police officers bad people? No.
He did not imply that. We do have a serious issue we need to deal with.

jimi_dini

The Court ruled that he would have to prove that he was planning on having an encounter with the police (committing a crime), that the police - all of them - would always use the chokehold, and that the City ordered the police to do this.

wat

I just watched the video and I'm tearing up at work. My heart just sank. Hearing him say, I can't breathe, I can't breathe... Smh.. I would sue the hell out of the department. He literally did nothing. And he lost his life.

psylah

If you're any darker than a cup of cafe au lait, even jaywalking has a possible death sentence attached.

The guy has six kids, and grandkids. They grow up knowing their father / grandfather was killed by the police, and then white people like this have the nerve to wonder why black people don't trust the cops? And blame it on ABSENTEE FATHERS?!

Getting stopped and frisked isn't the only way to be harassed or ignored by the cops. You're lying to yourself if you honestly think that cops aren't assholes to white people too. Obviously not at the same level, which is why I said it's not at the same level, but I've been harassed multiple times by cops and I'm your average white male.

I've been laughed at while I was looking for help for my friend who was being followed and verbally berated by a drunk woman. I've been stopped in neighborhoods and accused of buying drugs because the cops couldn't think of any other reason I'd be in the neighborhood I was in. I've been stopped and frisked because of the way I was dressed. I've seen cops cat call female friends of mine for just standing on the street outside of her job.

You don't get a pass from asshole cops just because you're white. Asshole cops are looking to be asshole cops to whoever they can.

I think theres a serious difference between being harassed by an asshole, and being arrested forcefully by the asshole.

Taking a man in even if he was selling cigarettes is stupid. Good Job New York. There's like 13 officers trying to take him in for suspecting he is selling cigarettes. Is there not something more important? Yet another mans blood is on your hands because of police brutality for some stupid tax to begin with.

Fucking bastards. Absolute wankers; that's so ridiculously over the top. What's disgusting is when he starts saying "I can't breathe" when there are 3-4 police on his back, pinning him to the floor, and none of them make any effort to move. And was it an actual arrest or were they trying to quell him? Surely if they had reason to arrest him the cop wouldn't have stood there talking to him for 30 seconds first?

Anyway, yeah. This is fucking foul and the person who made this video should make sure it gets distributed as widely as possible so the police higher authorities cannot ignore it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom