• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYPD kill a man after he breaks up a fight between others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jado

Banned
The problem isn't the number of incidents but that these officers are being shielded by their comrades in arms. Nothing happens. That's a serious issue even if it's only a few.

And it's not even "a few." Systemic, racist discrimination per official, mandatory policy like stop-and-frisk means that all manner of cops are obligated to harass innocent minorities (at risk of being reprimanded). We're talking tens of thousands of officers in the NYPD alone behaving reprehensibly. The few bad apples thing just isn't true.

There are a lot of really good observations in this thread and some of the other threads on the board about the issues racial biases and excessive force by police officers against African American men but I came to a really sad conclusion a long time ago. A big part of the reason why you find so many people willing to make excuses for the "accidents" that always seem to happen to black folks, black men in particular, is that in our society black men are the ultimate boogeymen. Therefore by definition, the untimely loss of a black man's life is more likely to be accepted without argument as something that was supposed to happen or likely to happen anyway.

I got an overwhelming sense from some of the posters that I was debating in the George Zimmerman threads that the reason they were so eager to defend him is that his actions made them feels safe while at the same time making black people feel unsafe. It's a self-defeating cycle of demonizing black men, making people who aren't black live in fear of them and then terrorizing black men so they can live in fear themselves. Basically fear reigns over all.

Well, this reality is kind of a tough poll to swallow. The police behaving like a racist mafia is decidedly against the general "correct" image of a police officer as an impartial serviceman who protects the people from criminals. It's much, much easier to pigeonhole all of the situations surrounding the police to fit this idea of the police being impartial protectors rather than taking the far more depressing alternative of officers being crooked and in many cases being active menaces to society. It's far more unsettling living one's life this way, and not at all easy to change one's perception to accept institutionalized racism (especially when we grow up being taught that racism is bad and that it basically "all ended in the 60s", so many people who defend officers or defended Zimmerman in a way simply want to accept their own reality where neighborhood watch and the police are "protectors".

Basically, it's far easier to deny and to simply continue to paint law enforcement as "the good guys" and anyone they go up against as "the bad guys".

Well, this reality is kind of a tough poll to swallow. The police behaving like a racist mafia is decidedly against the general "correct" image of a police officer as an impartial serviceman who protects the people from criminals. It's much, much easier to pigeonhole all of the situations surrounding the police to fit this idea of the police being impartial protectors rather than taking the far more depressing alternative of officers being crooked and in many cases being active menaces to society. It's far more unsettling living one's life this way, and not at all easy to change one's perception to accept institutionalized racism (especially when we grow up being taught that racism is bad and that it basically "all ended in the 60s", so many people who defend officers or defended Zimmerman in a way simply want to accept their own reality where neighborhood watch and the police are "protectors".

Basically, it's far easier to deny and to simply continue to paint law enforcement as "the good guys" and anyone they go up against as "the bad guys".
I don't believe that the police act like a racist mafia actually, they serve the purpose meant for them in the way our society is structured. What I described in my post is an aspect of institutionalized racism. My view in that post is fairly simplistic and isn't meant to be ascribed to all people but it goes deeper than the idea that our societal problems with the way people of different races perceive injustice is just a case of them living in different realities.

The police act the way they do because they are empowered to act that way against minorities. They are empowered by the lack of empathy and outrage from broader society when they commit these types of crimes. They are empowered by the policies of law enforcement agencies that encourage them to harass and arrest black men without cause. They are empowered by the laws of the country that specifically over-criminalize activities that minorities are more likely to be involved in. Basically they do a lot of the things that they do not out of hatred but because they know at the end of the day there won't be consequences for their actions. No one will question the split second decision they made to kill an unarmed black man because society has accepted the fact that black men pose a danger to them that others don't.

That is why the George Zimmerman case was so telling to me. GZ desperately wanted to be a police officer so what did he model himself after? Not a fair and upstanding protector of the law but as a racial-profiling, over-aggressive judge, jury and executioner. He acted out the fantasy that he assumed would be appropriate behavior for a police officer. What was worse to me though is that by simply acting this way a significant number of Americans immediately saw him as an authority figure that Trayvon Martin should have obeyed and surrendered himself to. Terrifying stuff.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I don't believe that the police act like a racist mafia actually, they serve the purpose meant for them in the way our society is structured. What I described in my post is an aspect of institutionalized racism. My view in that post is fairly simplistic and isn't meant to be ascribed to all people but it goes deeper than the idea that our societal problems with the way people of different races perceive injustice is just a case of them living in different realities.

The police act the way they do because they are empowered to act that way against minorities. They are empowered by the lack of empathy and outrage from broader society when they commit these types of crimes. They are empowered by the policies of law enforcement agencies that encourage them to harass and arrest black men without cause. They are empowered by the laws of the country that specifically over-criminalize activities that minorities are more likely to be involved in. Basically they do a lot of the things that they do not out of hatred but because they know at the end of the day there won't be consequences for their actions. No one will question the split second decision they made to kill an unarmed black man because society has accepted the fact that black men pose a danger to them that others don't.

That is why the George Zimmerman case was so telling to me. GZ desperately wanted to be a police officer so what did he model himself after? Not a fair and upstanding protector of the law but as a racial-profiling, over-aggressive judge, jury and executioner. He acted out the fantasy that he assumed would be appropriate behavior for a police officer. What was worse to me though is that by simply acting this way a significant number of Americans immediately saw him as an authority figure that Trayvon Martin should have obeyed and surrendered himself to. Terrifying stuff.

Good post, institutional racism is rarely perceived and even rarer to be removed because the majority that benefit from it see it as being their right since they usually have had it their whole lives. I think your right, law enforcement is taught institionally to think African American men are more dangerous so they feel they are justified in their excessive force. However, this case goes beyond that when you add in the murdering cops record of racial based harassment, the use of a chokehold that is against NYPD regulations, and the EMT's lack of proper response.

The current criminal system not only failed the victim, this situation could of came from the south in the 60's and nobody would of blinked an eye. It was abhorrent and I feel it violated the victims civil rights. De Blasio I think has an opportunity to put the whole city's police force on notice that that kind of conduct will not be tolerated in NYC by coming down hard on the perpetrating police officers and EMT's...... But I honestly don't think he has the balls to do it.

Good post, institutional racism is rarely perceived and even rarer to be removed because the majority that benefit from it see it as being their right since they usually have had it their whole lives. I think your right, law enforcement is taught institionally to think African American men are more dangerous so they feel they are justified in their excessive force. However, this case goes beyond that when you add in the murdering cops record of racial based harassment, the use of a chokehold that is against NYPD regulations, and the EMT's lack of proper response.

The current criminal system not only failed the victim, this situation could of came from the south in the 60's and nobody would of blinked an eye. It was abhorrent and I feel it violated the victims civil rights. De Blasio I think has an opportunity to put the whole city's police force on notice that that kind of conduct will not be tolerated in NYC by coming down hard on the perpetrating police officers and EMT's...... But I honestly don't think he has the balls to do it.

At the very least I'd like to see this happen there, and especially here in Florida-where they just caught 2 officers who were members off the KKK:

The Effect of Body-Worn Cameras on Police Use-of-Force

"The findings suggest more than a 50% reduction in the total number of incidents of use-of-force compared to control-conditions, and nearly ten times more citizens’ complaints in the 12-months prior to the experiment."

Fatalah

Don't worry everyone, the cops allowed a local kid to dunk over a cop car. All is well in Staten Island.

ruUCxKZ.png

Fatalah

What the hell did I just watch

Wait, what?

Uh, weird and random, but a nice gesture... I guess?

If the kid had smashed his leg against the car and fucked it up, that cop would be public enemy #1

I...

What?

For those who didn't read the article I linked -- the dunk happened during a rally held for the victim. It's like a bad movie.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
@AP 12:15 PM
BREAKING: Medical examiner says chokehold by police officer caused death of NYC man; ruled homicide.

@AP 12:15 PM
BREAKING: Medical examiner says chokehold by police officer caused death of NYC man; ruled homicide.

And here we go. Now that that discussion can be laid to bed, what's the aftermath? Who's getting punished? How much will the NYPD need to pay to settle with the family?

Culex

Banned
And here we go. Now that that discussion can be laid to bed, what's the aftermath? Who's getting punished? How much will the NYPD need to pay to settle with the family?

Officer will be relieved, keep his pension.

NYC will drag lawsuit out for a good 3-4 years until finally giving in in 2017 "to end taxpayer burden"

No one wins.

tbm24

Well, it was ruled as a homicide so the cops in question will likely be put on trial.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Heres the story:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/medi...e-officer-caused-death-nyc-man-ruled-homicide

NEW YORK (AP) — The medical examiner has ruled that the chokehold of a police officer on a New York City man last month caused his death.

Medical examiner spokeswoman Julie Bolcer said Friday that Eric Garner's July 17 death has been ruled a homicide.

Bolcer says his death was caused by "the compression of his chest and prone positioning during physical restraint by police." She says asthma and heart disease were contributing factors.

Garner's videotaped confrontation with police has caused widespread outcry, and Attorney General Eric Holder has said the Justice Department is "closely monitoring" the investigation into his death.

Not sure if posted elsewhere but
(Reuters) - The death of a man during an arrest on New York City's Staten Island last month was caused by a choke hold used on him by a police officer, the New York City chief medical examiner's office said on Friday, declaring the death as a homicide.

Eric Garner, who was arrested by police for peddling untaxed cigarettes, died as result of compression to his neck, compression to his chest and "prone positioning during physical restraint by police," according to autopsy results.

Bronchial asthma, obesity and heart disease were also listed as contributing conditions.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014...XU20140801?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews

If you don't want to be arrested and put in jail don't commit the crime. Don't fight the police when they try to arrest you, meaning put out your hands for the cuffs and go to the station. Then get your lawyer. Guess what doing that tends you to get the drug possession charge for a few ounces or nonviolent crime such as selling untaxed cigs dismissed by the lawyer! Resist you get a beating and put in jail. Give the cops black crap and you get harsh treatment because the cops are treating you by way of the golden rule.

The only myths about African slavery are spread by African American historical revisionists.

The Africans sold the slaves to the Europeans. The African kings wanted slavery to continue when the Europeans were wanting the trade abolished. Look up the African slave empires. 40-60% of the populace in Africa for thousands of years were slaves. Slaves were not only used as cannon fodder soldiers, but also were sacrificed in voodoo rituals as well as funeral rituals.

Oh btw the majority of slaves in history were white not black. During the middle ages the Arabs took over a million Europeans as slaves. But guess what most history books don't mention that little fact nor that Arabs were still capturing slaves from African coastal villages at the start of the 20th century.

ZsrlZEH.png

commedieu

Banned
Whats sad is that this won't be the end of the defense force.

I mean, whats that site that the police frequent, with comments...? I'm sure they are all acknowledging the findings, and calling for his termination. (From the job, not killing him to death).

Right?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I've said it before and I'll say it again, NYPD is corrupt and a sack of garbage.

The cops will will not be prosecuted. Their one and only justified killing was, imo, Sean Bell. But virtually everything before and after that has been absolutely awful and despicable.

wildfire

Banned
Well, it was ruled as a homicide so the cops in question will likely be put on trial.

Definitely should be more than one put on trial. The guy doing a chokehold made it possible for Garner to die but he wasn't the only one pushing Garner into the ground.

Whats sad is that this won't be the end of the defense force.

I mean, whats that site that the police frequent, with comments...? I'm sure they are all acknowledging the findings, and calling for his termination. (From the job, not killing him to death).

Right?

You can watch it unfold if you want.

But I advise against that.

Yukiari

Really sad that the paramedics stood around and did nothing while he lay there unresponsive. A lot of people should be charged in this case.

Definitely should be more than one put on trial. The guy doing a chokehold made it possible for Garner to die but he wasn't the only one pushing Garner into the ground.

You can watch it unfold if you want.

But I advise against that.

I'll spoiler this for those who would rather not read this kind of shit.

"Homicide" is ancient Greek and simply means death of a man! Then it's murder, manslaughter, criminally negligent, accidental, suicide, and justifiable! But the news scum will portray it as something other then justifiable or accidental (perp caused his own death)!

Actually I classify it as suicide by gluttony!

Jesus Christ.

The fuck is wrong with some people...

rjinaz

I'll spoiler this for those who would rather not read this kind of shit.

"Homicide" is ancient Greek and simply means death of a man! Then it's murder, manslaughter, criminally negligent, accidental, suicide, and justifiable! But the news scum will portray it as something other then justifiable or accidental (perp caused his own death)!

Actually I classify it as suicide by gluttony!

Jesus Christ.

The fuck is wrong with some people...

I just read that myself. Unbelievable. This is a cop ladies and gentlemen. He's out there with a gun and a badge right now, as is the others that post on that board. It's scary.

I'm glad this was ruled a homicide, it's exactly what it was, coldblooded murder.

MikeDown

Banned
Was talking to some friends about this, they defended the police saying Gardner shouldn't have been committing any crimes nor should have he resisted, and while I agree resisting the police is a bad idea, pissed me off that they ignored the brutality (choke hold, being slammed into the ground and ignoring cries for help) on the police's part. I mean he had a history of selling cigarettes, but when he was approached he wasn't committing any crime, (to the best of my knowledge). I would have argued it more with them, but the venue we were in was not the place for it.

Enzom21

Was talking to some friends about this, they defended the police saying Gardner shouldn't have been committing any crimes nor should have he resisted, and while I agree resisting the police is a bad idea, pissed me off that they ignored the brutality (choke hold, being slammed into the ground and ignoring cries for help) on the police's part. I mean he had a history of selling cigarettes, but when he was approached he wasn't committing any crime, (to the best of my knowledge). I would have argued it more with them, but the venue we were in was not the place for it.

Even if he had been selling cigarettes when they decided to harass then murder him, it still wouldn't have been justification for his death.

they defended the police saying Gardner shouldn't have been committing any crimes nor should have he resisted
Everyone commits some totally minor crimes. I'm curious about what would be your friends' reactions when they're being killed for pirating or something, as they scream for help and suddenly understand why someone would resist being murdered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom