• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYPD kill a man after he breaks up a fight between others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
You should learn a bit about the NYPD. And arrest counts don't mean a gatdamn thing.
I know plenty about the NYPD

It is illegal to have a gun in NYC ... Are you implying they planted It on him? He's a convicted felon.

".... The Gothamist reported that Orta's rap sheet includes arrests for assault, rape, robbery and menacing and he has three criminal cases pending against him."

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
You should learn a bit about the NYPD. And arrest counts don't mean a gatdamn thing.

Aldo, how the fuck is retaliatory action by THE FUCKING POLICE okay with you? That shit is problematic as fuck. Are you serious?
Retaliatory or not - if he did something illegal, he should face the consequences

Don't worry guys. de Blasio was elected to reign in the NYPD. I'm sure the first thing he's going to target is the 'broken windows' strate-

Mayor de Blasio said NYPD enforcement against minor violations will continue, despite criticism of the strategy in the wake of the death of Eric Garner.

Garner died after being placed in an apparent chokehold by Staten Island cops who suspected him of selling cigarettes, one of a slew of quality of life offenses targeted under the “broken windows” approach.

“Breaking a law is breaking a law, and it has to be addressed,” de Blasio said, in his first comments on the case since returning from an Italian vacation.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/da...rategy-eric-garner-death-blog-entry-1.1883277

Well, fuck.

Schattenjäger;124024106 said:
But how is the arrest of the camera man in any way wrong even if retaliatory? The guy had a gun and was arrested over 20 times - guy should be locked up for good

First, carrying a gun without a license should not result is someone being locked in a cage until they die. Second, attempting to discredit or intimidate witnesses corrupts our justice system. That's why it's wrong.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Don't worry guys. de Blasio was elected to reign in the NYPD. I'm sure the first thing he's going to target is the 'broken windows' strate-

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/da...rategy-eric-garner-death-blog-entry-1.1883277

Well, fuck.

First, carrying a gun without a license should not result is someone being locked in a cage until they die. Second, it's retaliatory because the police were likely following the man, waiting for him to slip up.
I think it's a 3 year sentence - and that's the law

And I can't feel angry about a known criminal "slipping up"

KHarvey16

I can very easily imagine a guy with a gun that's been arrested over twenty times being arrested again without the need to assume it was retaliatory. None of this changes the fact he recorded the police killing someone, so I don't really understand why some people aren't ok with just accepting he might also be a criminal that often gets caught breaking the law.

I can very easily imagine a guy with a gun that's been arrested over twenty times being arrested again without the need to assume it was retaliatory. None of this changes the fact he recorded the police killing someone, so I don't really understand why some people aren't ok with just accepting he might also be a criminal that often gets caught breaking the law.

I could also accept that he knew police would be targeting him and he had a gun for self-protection.

Malyse

Because police aren't in the business of protecting black folk. Fun fact, every 28 hours an unarmed black person is killed in an extrajudicial shooting by a figure of authority. There have been cases of black folk in handcuffs shooting themselves in the head, even though the cuffs were behind their back. Hell, one young brother was in the back of a squad car when he managed to shoot himself in the head. A black cop was shot by multiple fellow cops multiple times and then he caught the charges. Then there's poor miss McBride. My friend watched a neighbor get cuffed and executed in the middle of the street. I know its really fucking hard for y'all white folk to get this, but the police ain't on the side of black people. At all. So when I say police are monsters, that's because that's all they've ever been for me.

Also, do your fucking research. This shit is public data.

KHarvey16

Because police aren't in the business of protecting black folk. Fun fact, every 28 hours an unarmed black person is killed in an extrajudicial shooting by a figure of authority. There have been cases of black folk in handcuffs shooting themselves in the head, even though the cuffs were behind their back. Hell, one young brother was in the back of a squad car when he managed to shoot himself in the head. A black cop was shot by multiple fellow cops multiple times and then he caught the charges. Then there's poor miss McBride. My friend watched a neighbor get cuffed and executed in the middle of the street. I know its really fucking hard for y'all white folk to get this, but the police ain't on the side of black people. At all. So when I say police are monsters, that's because that's all they've ever been for me.

The cuffed guy shooting himself was completely legitimate. We've had a couple threads on it and they both ended with just about everyone satisfied it happened that way, which is rare.

So to protect himself he gave it to a girl to put in her pants when they approached him?

Oh, I never said he was courageous. I think he had a gun because he probably always has a gun. He is a repeat offender, after all.

However, I think he was being watched by the police in retaliation for taking the video. The police are actually lucky that he slipped his girlfriend the gun. Having a shootout with the same videographer who exposed their last murder would be even worse, PR-wise.

The cuffed guy shooting himself was completely legitimate. We've had a couple threads on it and they both ended with just about everyone satisfied it happened that way, which is rare.

I think the consensus was it was plausible.

KHarvey16

Oh, I never said he was courageous. I think he had a gun because he probably always has a gun. He is a repeat offender, after all.

However, I think he was being watched by the police in retaliation for taking the video. The police are actually lucky that he slipped his girlfriend the gun. Having a shootout with the same videographer who exposed their last murder would be even worse, PR-wise.

Or we can use occam's handy razor to slice the extraneous assumptions away and imagine for the time being, barring any additional details, this is likely just a career criminal being caught breaking the law. Again.

Or we can use occam's handy razor to slice the extraneous assumptions away and imagine for the time being, barring any additional details, this is likely just a career criminal being caught breaking the law. Again.

In a city the size of New York, Occam's razor points to his receiving extra surveillance I think. Otherwise it is a massive, massive coincidence. its not like he was in the middle of a violent act and the police were called on him.

Mesousa

Banned

Exactly why with revolutionary education we teach folks not to engage with officers at all. Does the zebra talk to the lion? Of course not, it serves no purpose. Arguing with cops serves no purpose. They are not even people, but tools of the state. Engagement must be with the people who created them.

And as far as de Blaisio goes...he doesn't care. He will always have white privilege, and on the inside he probably support the police. He knows his accessory son, with the comically large Afro, will never be another statistic no matter what lip service he gives to people looking for their Malcolm little replacement. I expected his reaction to this.

Damian.

Banned

But the pity party ensues for this man, and anyone who cries foul is automatically a racist to the minds of the hive and Al Sharpton. They feed on sympathetic bullshit like this, why feed the monster?

Ugh...hoo boy. It's a good thing that i didn't hit enter on what i originally typed , cause it would have gotten me banned. People like you though...really get under my fucking skin. I'll just leave it at that.

Someone that has the comprehension to see above the bullshit gets under your skin? Wow, that is tragic.

Nephtis

But the pity party ensues for this man, and anyone who cries foul is automatically a racist to the minds of the hive and Al Sharpton. They feed on sympathetic bullshit like this, why feed the monster?

what's your obsession with hive minds and Al Sharpton, bro? Are you just reaching out to that because you think it'll make you sound cool or something?

Look, this particular incident isn't about racism. It's about police keeping extra watch and finding something so they can retaliate against the guy for having recorded one of their own murdering somebody. That's it.

Malyse

what's your obsession with hive minds and Al Sharpton, bro? Are you just reaching out to that because you think it'll make you sound cool or something?

Look, this particular incident isn't about racism. It's about police keeping extra watch and finding something so they can retaliate against the guy for having recorded one of their own murdering somebody. That's it.

Why do white people care about Al Sharpton so much?

More importantly, why are you engaging with this trash?

Nephtis

He brings out a primal hatred in them. A man with the audacity to advocate for our lower classes...How dare he?!

Americans hated king for the same reason.

Let's not kid ourselves though. Mr. Sharpton can be pretty opportunistic and pretty much only take causes that will give him either incredible PR, or money. I am under no illusions that he is a good and just man - but he isn't as bad as some people make him out to be.

Order

Someone that has the comprehension to see above the bullshit gets under your skin? Wow, that is tragic.
So edgy.

You have a strange fascination for hiveminds and Al Sharpton. You must have had a rough childhood.

Mesousa

Banned

Amazing. Just amazing how he was treated when he loved this country so much. Had he lived how different this world could have been. Stokely already mentioned how he was being transformed before his death.

Let's not kid ourselves though. Mr. Sharpton can be pretty opportunistic and pretty much only take causes that will give him either incredible PR, or money. I am under no illusions that he is a good and just man - but he isn't as bad as some people make him out to be.

The entire civil rights movement was successful based on being opportunistic. The pressure placed on them, going to public areas to be attacked where they know it would gain public outrage...ect happened because brothers and sisters were opportunistic.

Al Sharpton goes to bat for the lowest in our society. The people who America constantly shits on, and brings in a focus from all over the country. He gets publicity for things most people would rather sweep under the rug. The same people who have hatred in their heart for him are the same people who wouldnt go anywhere near the families of people wrongfully killed, or to the cities were institutional racism is rampant, or even to the backwoods shitholes like Jena where blatant old racism has never died. They would rather sit on their moral Ziggurats and whine about him being a media whore while they do NOTHING to help those people. Even worse you have uncle tom boot licking house coons like Aaron McGruder who become rich putting the worst of black stereotypes and racism in media even trying to have cracks at him. How many mothers of fallen brothers and sisters have you seen crying on McGruder's shoulder? How many times have you seen him go to bat for anybody? Yet He can make jokes and an entire character about Al Sharpton being a clown? Ha!

Revolutionary education will be amazing for this nation.

Damian.

Banned
In my internet experience, people obsessed with Sharpton tend to be racist lol

Exactly, his followers are generally some of the most racist people you can find. I like to kindly point out the confusion that makes people think he is some great leader that helps the world. He's trash.

^He's talking about you, slick.

Why do white people care about Al Sharpton so much?

It's really sad; racist white people's hatred of Al Sharpton forces me, as a person of color, to not publicly admit my (totally different) hatred for Sharpton out of fear of association. I'd love to make threads railing on that Obama stan, FBI snitch, but I'm not trying to give ammunition to the fox news crowd. I'm sure there are plenty of black people who would love to talk shit about captain perm, but these stormfront motherfuckers come at him so hard, we actually have to defend his ass. It's a damn shame.

Draxal

How is paid his fine (which she hasn't yet done) not taking ownership? Or do you honestly expect something more?

Just saying sorry to the guy that he screwed over which he has never done?

Anyway, he still believes in Brawley so he hasn't but he did lose a lot of credibility with the whites due to that case.

Enzom21

Exactly, his followers are generally some of the most racist people you can find. I like to kindly point out the confusion that makes people think he is some great leader that helps the world. He's trash.

Seeing as how you're the only one bringing up Sharpton here... I guess that makes you a racist right?

Mesousa

Banned
He fucked up in the Tawana Brawley case and never took ownership of it.

Took ownership of what exactly? He, along with many other people, still believe it happened. He shouldnt have to take ownership of anything. A woman was supposedly raped, and he got publicity for the trial to make sure the states biased was not the major factor.

Damian.

Banned
Fuck does Al Sharpton has to do with a dude that broke a fight killed by the police?

He is bringing attention to it to feed his racist and ignorant desires to keep race wars alive in the US instead of looking at this with any shred of dignity and intelligence.

Lime

More NYPD news:

A Brooklyn woman answered the door in a towel, only to be dragged into the hallway by a dozen male police officers, a video obtained by NY1 shows.

The video shows 48-year-old Denise Stewart struggling to get away from the cops, yelling, “I can’t breathe” as they hold her against the wall. Stewart, who has severe asthma, passed out and dropped to the floor wearing nothing but underwear. Officers stood around, not bothering to cover her up, for about two minutes.

Officers say they received a call to the apartment building without a specific apartment number and heard noise coming from Stewart’s apartment. Stewart’s lawyer told the New York Daily News the 911 call came from an apartment on a different floor.

Stewart’s family was also arrested, and they claim her four-year-old grandson was even pepper-sprayed. The NYPD says Stewart’s 12-year-old daughter had bruises on her face and told police her mother and sister beat her with a belt, but other sources told NY1 the Administration for Children’s Services found no evidence that this was true and returned her to her mother.

Even after newly elected Mayor Bill de Blasio and Police Commissioner Bill Bratton vowed to reform the NYPD, officers have been caught in a number of abuses. The debacle at Stewart’s apartment on July 13 was soon followed by the death of Eric Garner, an asthmatic man who collapsed after NYPD officers put him in a chokehold and ignored his attempts to tell them he could not breathe. Days later, a video surfaced of a cop punching a man in a subway station and putting him in a chokehold. The NYPD made headlines once again last week when another video showed officers putting a pregnant woman in a chokehold for illegally grilling on the sidewalk.

And another incident of illegal chokehold. Video Captures NYPD Punching Man In Face, Putting Him In Illegal Choke-Hold

A man in a New York City subway station was put into a choke-hold and repeatedly punched in the face by NYPD officers, according to a video uploaded on YouTube that was first found by DNAInfo. Ronald John had been stopped for jumping a turn-style in the station.

The incident came just three days after an asthmatic man, Eric Garner of Staten Island, was put into a choke-hold by NYPD officers and then collapsed and died. The choke-hold move is banned in New York. Spokespeople for the city have confirmed that they are investigating both the incident involving Ronald John and that of Eric Garner. In fact, just this week the department announced it would be looking over the more than 1,000 choke-hold complaints that have been lodged against the city recently.

In John’s case, as in Garner’s, video shows pretty clearly the officer using the choke-hold move. You can also see the officer punching the John in the face until blood covers the floor in the area

Police brutality is a rampant problem in the NYPD, and communities report frequent use of excessive force: Cops smashing the head of a 14-year-old through a window, giving an 84-year-old a head injury for jaywalking, shooting and killing a 16-year-old who officers say was armed despite no gun ever being found at the scene of the crime — the list grows every day.

Still, politicians continue to put trust in officers to follow procedure. In New York, around the same time that Eric Garner’s throat was being encased by officers’ arms, legislators in Albany were passing a bill that would broaden immunity for police officers, barring local governments from meting out punishments for brutality unless they are completed in tandem with the police officers’ union. The New York Civil Liberties union warns, “This legislation would in many cases serve to immunize police officers who have committed acts of misconduct against civilians. What the bill actually proposes is that police officers will police themselves… Such a policy is directly counter to the public interest.”

and another NYPD cop almost put on a chokehold of a pregnant woman

Police are investigating whether a cop put a seven-months-pregnant woman in a chokehold while busting her for illegal grilling in Brooklyn — an incident caught on film.

Photos released Monday by an East New York advocacy group show Rosan Miller, 27, struggling with a cop who appears to have his arm around her neck.

The NYPD prohibits the use of chokeholds.

Officers went to the home over the weekend because Miller was grilling on a public sidewalk in violation of local law, cops said. But a melee broke out that ended with her, her brother and husband all in handcuffs.

The brother, John Miller, was charged with harassment and obstruction of justice. Her husband, Moses Miller, 34, was charged with resisting arrest and obstruction. Rosan Miller got a summons for disorderly conduct.

When former city councilman Charles Barron heard, he called cops to complain and "expedite" the Millers' release, he said.

"This was all over a grill," Barron said. "This is about grilling in front of her house."

The advocacy group, People Organizing and Working for Empowerment and Respect, released the photos.

Barron said one of the cops, a lieutenant, went to the building at 594 Bradford St. Thursday about a domestic incident involving another resident, returned on Saturday and encountered the grilling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom