• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYPD kill a man after he breaks up a fight between others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just another bad apple

An off-duty NYPD cop was killed driving the wrong way on the New York State Thruway on Tuesday morning, slamming head-on into another car and killing that driver, too, police said.
Modal Trigger

Officer Richard Christopher, 32, was driving his Dodge Dakota pickup truck southbound in the northbound lane of the highway just before 7 a.m. when he collided with a Honda CRV driven by James DeVito, 59, near Exit 15 in Suffern, officials said.

http://nypost.com/2014/08/12/off-duty-nypd-cop-driving-wrong-way-in-deadly-crash/

jediyoshi

More protests since

http://theweek.com/speedreads/index...hrough-staten-island-in-rally-for-eric-garner

AIaiGPd.jpg

Bc5mvfN.jpg

Lime

Teachers wear NYPD shirts to school despite union warnings

carol_orazem_thank_you_nypd_985275231.jpg

Angry city teachers who refused to be bullied by their union posted Facebook photos on Thursday of themselves in NYPD T-shirts — after the UFT warned them not to wear the “inappropriate apparel” on the first day of classes.

Many teachers had worn the shirts to school Tuesday and Wednesday as a show of support for cops in the wake of the Eric Garner death and union-backed rally by the Rev. Al Sharpton.

see5harp

I don't get why you wanna support a department known to murder people and then lack the accountability to take responsibility. It's one thing to make a mistake. It's another to turn a blind eye to the injustice.

ryan13ts

SMH @ that photo.

Seriously? So basically they're showing their support for NYPD murdering random black men? Jesus, and here I thought I couldn't be more disappointed in humanity...

SMH @ that photo.

Seriously? So basically they're showing their support for NYPD murdering random black men? Jesus, and here I thought I couldn't be more disappointed in humanity...

Not basically, they are showing support for that kind of behavior, rather than just appearing neutral, even if they aren't.

If I had a child in your classroom and I know you feel like that, I would complain to the board.

You are saying you support the NYPD doing whatever the fuck they wanna do.

Disgusting.

I don't get why you wanna support a department known to murder people and then lack the accountability to take responsibility. It's one thing to make a mistake. It's another to turn a blind eye to the injustice.

This article is misleading.

The picture that was posted was of a local support of a cop who lives and works in queens.

The Eric Garner incident took place in Staten Island.

Staten Island isn't the same as Queens. It's an entirely separate borough with different kinds of issues.

Each department may be under the order of the Commissioner but they are loosely tied to one another except for being called NYPD cops.

Lime, why are you causing more confusion here?

This article is misleading.

The picture that was posted was of a local support of a cop who lives and works in queens.

The Eric Garner incident took place in Staten Island.

Staten Island isn't the same as Queens. It's an entirely separate borough with different kinds of issues.

Each department may be under the order of the Commissioner but they are loosely tied to one another except for being called NYPD cops.

Lime, why are you causing more confusion here?

The union warned them not to wear the shirts. I understnd why, too.

It is a tense time period in NY and the shirts say NYPD, which is infammitory right now.

No one is looking at that picture, saying, "Oh well, I guess they are supporting the NYPD- Queens division. Carry on!"

It's a fucked up move by teachers who should know better.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

Angry city teachers who refused to be bullied by their union posted Facebook photos on Thursday of themselves in NYPD T-shirts — after the UFT warned them not to wear the “inappropriate apparel” on the first day of classes.

That's Rupert Murdoch's rag all right.

EDIT: Also, aren't the majority of NYC public school students black and Hispanic? This is not going to go over well with their parents.

The union warned them not to wear the shirts. I understnd why, too.

It is a tense time period in NY and the shirts say NYPD, which is infammitory right now.

No one is looking at that picture, saying, "Oh well, I guess they are supporting the NYPD- Queens division. Carry on!"

It's a fucked up move by teachers who should know better.

It's not tense for everyone who lives in NYC, but yes it's in real poor taste, especially defying the same union who fights for teacher's pay and benefits.

I only want articles like this to be clarified in context, because posting that picture in this thread only stirs more fires that are actively trying to be put out in NYC.

It's not tense for everyone who lives in NYC, but yes it's in real poor taste, especially defying the same union who fights for teacher's pay and benefits.

I only want articles like this to be clarified in context, because posting that picture in this thread only stirs more fires that are actively trying to be put out in NYC.

I read the article, I understand the "context" and it still pisses me off.

Use your fucking brain and common sense, teachers.

I wouldn't want any of those "teachers" instructing my kids if I had them.

Mesousa

Banned
This is the face of those who teach your kids, ladies and gentlemen.

Yep. There is really no reason to send your kids to public schools anymore. I know we have a public online school where you don't even have to come into contact with the biased school system.

You should see the way black male students are treated by teachers. Once the kid turns old enough to have any personality the teachers are scared shitless. Quick to place black boys in special ed class and iss, then wonder why we don't have black males in the sciences.

I'd never subject my kid to that bullshit.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://gothamist.com/2014/09/05/teachers_nypd_shirts.php

090514cops.jpg

Despite an ominous warning from their union, public school teachers across New York City wore T-shirts signaling their support for the NYPD this week. The movement to wear the shirts arose largely as a response to United Federation of Teachers chief Michael Mulgrew's participation in a Staten Island protest against police brutality. (The rally and march, organized by Rev. Al Sharpton, was held on Staten Island last month to protest the death of Eric Garner during an arrest in July.)

Some union members were angered by Mulgrew's decision to throw official UFT support behind the march, and in some photos he can be seen marching at the front of the crowd near Sharpton. After teachers started a Facebook group urging their colleagues to wear NYPD shirts on the first day of school, the union sent out an email Wednesday night informing teachers that, “as public employees, one must remain objective at all times. Certain T-shirt messages may appear to be supportive, but individuals (parents, students) may see a different meaning in that message... Principals may report any inappropriate apparel to the chancellor."

Mulgrew later said "everyone has a right to voice their own opinion," but a DOE spokesperson said, "Anything that distracts or disrupts learning should be left out of school buildings."

One Brooklyn public school librarian who wore an NYPD shirt told PIX 11, "What happened [to Garner] was a terrible tragedy, and it’s not our place to be deciding who’s guilty and who’s not guilty. I don’t see it as a political message. I just see it as we want our children to respect policemen, to respect firemen, to respect teachers, to respect everybody."

Are you fucking kidding me.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Damn it they may be corrupt cops, but they're OUR corrupt cops!

USA! USA! USA!

RavenEffect

Neo Member
PBA President was saying "this man was arrested 30 times! 8 times for selling loose cigarettes."

If the guy actually committed legitimate crimes, he would have whipped out his rap sheet during the press conference, but he didn't...because I promise it was probably all petty crap. And if they were legitimate to begin with, he'd have been in jail for good by now. You can be arrested many times over petty shit and not be a criminal. So fuck the PBA President and his bullshit defenses.

Fuck his justifications and excuses, one of which was the golden 'this man was a nuisance. Him selling loosies is a crime. He wasn't just selling loose cigarettes, but he was also doing harm...to the local businesses who are losing money from legitimate tobacco sales'.

Right, asshole, because local delis and stores don't have like 3000 other things to go and sell on their shelves. The fact they even held this press conference today is hilarious. And did anyone watch it? The PBA President even speaks like a stereotypical douchebag, with a horrible Massachusetts/Kennedy accent that I have not heard in ages.

And hey, shit face, if you want to talk about bringing a tall man down and being so desperate to do it, your cops have tasers. One quick jolt and he would've been on the floor like a flopping fish. At least it wouldn't have killed him. I saw the chokehold. And in "real time", it was still WAY too long. He should've let it go the moment the guy went on his knees...but he kept it there for at least another 5 seconds. That's a long fucking time to be in a full-on chokehold.

Fuck him and fuck the NYPD. Every day I'm glad I left that piece of shit of a city and state I used to live in (Long Island cops aren't any better).

I agree with everything you said but you cannot compare Nassau County and Suffolk County cops to the NYPD, neither has done close to the fucked up shit NYPD has committed over the years.

This is what some white people are like when no one else is around, in my experience. It's monstrous and shitty that they're choosing to feel empowered enough now to show their racist feelings in public, especially to minority kids who look up to them. Incredibly fucked up.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Most people won't even notice these shirts they have been ubiquitous around nyc since 9/11 and I doubt most parent will make the connection between their children's teachers wearing it and the Eric garner case. I am pretty sure the majority of the teachers know this when doing it as well. With that said.....

This is deplorable and I hope it becomes widely known enough that parents find out and make some noise about it. Yeah none of them would be fired, but it would be great if somebody told them off. I would say I am surprised by them not seeing the potential for this to make them look bad but I went to a college for teachers in NY state and the majority of them were a bunch of idiots there as well. So this is par for the course imo.

Hale-XF11

When you lose the trust of the public, you have lost their respect as well.

Blind obedience is not what children should be taught.

When you lose the trust of the public, you have lost their respect as well.

Blind obedience is not what children should be taught.

It's not.

Depending on what color you are, it might save your life, but the fact that people have to have that conversation with each other and with their children is completely unacceptable.

Also, those teacher pictures don't surprise me. People like that are the reason the Police force is so protected in situations like this. They get overwhelming support from the public at large who think they do no wrong.

YoungHav

Banned
I agree with everything you said but you cannot compare Nassau County and Suffolk County cops to the NYPD, neither has done close to the fucked up shit NYPD has committed over the years.
Naw fuck those pigs. The most intrusive racial profiling I've experienced so far has been courtesy of Nassau County cops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom