• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYPD kill a man after he breaks up a fight between others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

commedieu

Banned
It would, because crime rate is determined by the number of police reports. No officers making reports, no crime rate. Meaning no crime in NY!

Not entirely no crime, as the National Crime Victimization Survey would still be ongoing, as other interested parties. Partial data for crime would still be able to be compared. That and less people would be killed by the nypd....

Although selling loose cigarettes is grounds for an execution if you're black, so.. yeah.. Its kind of a lose lose.

Not trying to make any point here, just think that this is relevant and interesting

NY-AS126_COPS_NS_20110106185711.jpg

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748704415104576066302323002420

Not entirely no crime, as the National Crime Victimization Survey would still be ongoing, as other interested parties. Partial data for crime would still be able to be compared. That and less people would be killed by the nypd....

Although selling loose cigarettes is grounds for an execution if you're black, so.. yeah.. Its kind of a lose lose.

Wait, he was selling loose cigarettes??? I assumed based on the police response that he had an 18 wheeler stacked with crates worth that he was selling or something.

How is selling loose cigarettes even an arrestable crime as opposed to something you get a fine for doing? Are they chokeholding jaywalkers as well? I'm going to need to be extra careful on my next visit to the city, what if I accidentally drop something and get gang-tackled for littering?

Enzom21

Pretty much anything is grounds for execution if you are black.

The guy who was killed wife was just at Applbees down the street from me. Said she can't eat at home because she is bothered too much. Also said she has gotten mad calls from celebs looking to donate to her

commedieu

Banned
Just saw this and it's somewhat related. Let's not dog-pile exclusively on cops for being racist life ruiners!

Study: White People Support Harsher Criminal Laws If They Think More Black People Are Arrested

Cold as fuck. I feel like this has a big part in how shit like this goes down over goddamn cigarettes and then gets justified after the fact.

If you think this is bad then the thread we had a while ago about white people being more likely to support the death penalty after being told it's disproportionately applied to black people will make you cry.

It did for me :'(

Lime

Reading up on stories like Michael Stewart, Tawana Brawley, Edmund Perry, Yvonne Smallwood, Edmun Perry, etc. in the 80's, it's incredible to think that this shit is still going on 30 fucking years later. And the fucking police department throughout all structures aren't doing anything to express sadness, regret, or re-evaluations of themselves.

When this isn't improving 30 years later, I don't see any other option than being pessimistic about the future.

Malyse

Reading up on stories like Michael Stewart, Tawana Brawley, Edmund Perry, Yvonne Smallwood, Edmun Perry, etc. in the 80's, it's incredible to think that this shit is still going on 30 fucking years later. And the fucking police department throughout all structures aren't doing anything to express sadness, regret, or re-evaluations of themselves.

When this isn't improving 30 years later, I don't see any other option than being pessimistic about the future.

This shit doesn't change until white people are in body bags. JS.

Jado

Banned
Wait, he was selling loose cigarettes??? I assumed based on the police response that he had an 18 wheeler stacked with crates worth that he was selling or something.

How is selling loose cigarettes even an arrestable crime as opposed to something you get a fine for doing? Are they chokeholding jaywalkers as well? I'm going to need to be extra careful on my next visit to the city, what if I accidentally drop something and get gang-tackled for littering?

When I was 11 years old, I went outside for my usual trip to the library and was yelled at by a cop in a patrol car for the horrific act of jaywalking across the very narrow and quiet one-way street in front of my building. Friends on a busier nearby street loathed the neighborhood cops who were always harassing them just for being outside.

Putting aside cases of brutality, the #notallcops brigade doesn't really get just how poorly in GENERAL the cops here treat minorities (NY and elsewhere). There's a huge palpable difference between the upbeat demeanor when NYPD interacts with tourists and middle/upper class whites in the city vs. the seething attitude and way they fucking bark at minorities. Seen it all the time in 25 years living here.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'm sorry, am I reading that right?

Did the head of the police sergeants union just threaten the public with not responding to violent emergencies because they aren't receiving enough "support" in this case?

YoungHav

Banned

Did the head of the police sergeants union just threaten the public with not responding to violent emergencies because they aren't receiving enough "support" in this case?
Yup... wtf. Can the #notallcops crew even defend this??

When I was 11 years old, I went outside for my usual trip to the library and was yelled at by a cop in a patrol car for the horrific act of jaywalking across the very narrow and quiet one-way street in front of my building. Friends on a busier nearby street loathed the neighborhood cops who were always harassing them just for being outside.

Putting aside cases of brutality, the #notallcops brigade doesn't really get just how poorly in GENERAL the cops here treat minorities (NY and elsewhere). There's a huge palpable difference between the upbeat demeanor when NYPD interacts with tourists and middle/upper class whites in the city vs. the seething attitude and way they fucking bark at minorities. Seen it all the time in 25 years living here.

I grew up in Brooklyn before I left to go to school at Howard when I was 18 so I know all too well what the average NY cop thinks about minorities.

My uncle was murdered when I was 12. Everyone knew exactly who did it, his wife was cheating on him and he beat the guy she was seeing up badly and the guy vowed revenge. After his body was found the police couldn't even be bothered to investigate. He was a dead Jamaican so they said that it must have been drug related and closed the case. My poor grandparents never got an ounce of closure.

Just a few bad apples guys
En route to Central Park, Joan (not her real name) was headed south on St. Nicholas Avenue, through the 30th Precinct, at 6:30 a.m. on July 31, 2013. As she crossed 145th Street, she told Streetsblog last year, “a cop car double-parked on the right made a U-turn in front of me — apparently without looking or he would’ve seen my bright orange jersey in his mirror.”

“Thankfully I just barely missed a collision,” Joan said. “After passing I heard the cop yelling so I stopped and turned around. The cop in the passenger seat called me a ‘Jackass’ three times, gave me the finger, and the driver took off.”

She saw the car number — 2516 — but did not see if the marked cruiser was assigned to the 30th Precinct.

Joan filed a complaint with the Civilian Complaint Review Board, an independent agency that, according to its web site, is “empowered to receive, investigate, mediate, hear, make findings, and recommend action on complaints against New York City police officers alleging the use of excessive or unnecessary force, abuse of authority, discourtesy, or the use of offensive language.” She sat for an in-person interview in August, which the CCRB audio taped. When she hadn’t heard anything by early November, she emailed the assigned CCRB investigator.

The investigator responded by email the next day. She told Joan she had some follow-up questions — which according to Joan turned out to be questions she addressed during her interview. Still, she answered them again, this time in writing.

“Why did you believe that both of the officers inside of the police vehicle were uniformed?” the investigator asked. (Joan replied that she saw both of them from the chest up.) “Were there any witnesses that you can identify and/or provide their names and contact information, of this incident?” (There weren’t.)

In addition, emails show the investigator informed Joan that her complaint about almost being hit by the officers’ patrol car was outside the CCRB’s jurisdiction, and would be taken up by a different agency, which would be in touch.

Joan says she got several written notices from the CCRB, but none of them indicated that the case was moving closer to mediation with NYPD — the resolution suggested by the CCRB. After five months, she felt like the investigator was waiting her out, or even trying to catch inconsistencies in her story. CCRB investigations, she was told, can take between eight and 12 months.

Then, toward the end of June — 11 months after the incident — the CCRB asked Joan to come in and look at photos of officers. At that point, she’d had enough.

“Seriously, what are the chances I remember what this guy looks like?” she told Streetsblog. “I don’t expect any resolution at this point.”

As for the near-collision, the investigator didn’t tell Joan what agency would be handling that part of the complaint, and she never heard anything else about it.

“I’m very disappointed in how this has turned out,” says Joan. “I was assured that the complaint was being taken very seriously, but now, a year later, it just seems like lip service. From where I stand, CCRB is a part of the problem, rather than the solution.”
http://www.streetsblog.org/2014/08/...early-hit-by-nypd-gives-up-on-ccrb-complaint/

What does this article have to do with NYC cops? So the complaint board was pretty shitty. Can't she blame the city gov't for having a review board that sits on shit?

1. The reviw board is run by cops

2. Did you not read?

a cop car double-parked on the right made a U-turn in front of me — apparently without looking or he would’ve seen my bright orange jersey in his mirror.”

“Thankfully I just barely missed a collision,” Joan said. “After passing I heard the cop yelling so I stopped and turned around. The cop in the passenger seat called me a ‘Jackass’ three times, gave me the finger, and the driver took off.”

therapist

Ugh this is really fucking sad.

The guy did nothing but break up a fight , and argue for 30 seconds , so you get 5 officers to choke hold him?

What the fuck.

This story is really the gift that keeps on giving. One of your subordinates in-arguably kills a citizen and you're having a tantrum over the fact the mayor isn't licking your rump clean enough for it. This story needs to be required reading for everyone on GAF before they step into a thread about police brutality. THIS is why people say "fuck all cops!"

abadguy

Banned

Hope he spends the rest of his days in prison.

Why yes! Yes he did. He threw a fucking tantrum because the mayor isn't supporting brutality and excessive force ( I guess he though Guliani was still in office) and is threatening not to do the job they signed up for. Our "protectors" ladies and gentlemen.

It doesn't bother you that it's apparently impossible to complain about illegal and dangerous behavior by officers?

I guess not. I have more pressing matters than some stop and frisk policy designed to target me and my kin.

I don't think about it, but obviously it bothers you much more, so whatever.

Why yes! Yes he did. He threw a fucking tantrum because the mayor isn't supporting brutality and excessive force ( I guess he though Guliani was still in office) and is threatening not to do the job they signed up for. Our "protectors" ladies and gentlemen.

The fucked up thing is that de Blasio has supported the NYPD way more than is appropriate. The first press conference he gave on this had one or two lines of condolences, and the rest was "bu - bu - cops have to make split-second decisions" police ass licking. It really gives you a sense of how deluded and entitled police are when they expect a vigorous defense after murdering someone on videotape.

wildfire

Banned
So the ME's opinion is good enough to put other thugs in jail but when it comes to the thugs in blue it's not to be trusted (even with supporting video evidence lol)?

They aren't thugs they are special class citizens. We should do everything in our power to support and serve the arbiters of our justice system.

We maybe bankrolling their wallets but they are bankrolling our conscience.

wildfire

Banned
Ugh this is really fucking sad.

The guy did nothing but break up a fight , and argue for 30 seconds , so you get 5 officers to choke hold him?

What the fuck.

He has record for selling cigarettes constantly. He was a long term threat to society.

#justiceISserved

[/sarcasm]

Jado

Banned
I guess not. I have more pressing matters than some stop and frisk policy designed to target me and my kin.

Is this a joke post? Troll? Someone was nearly injured by a cop and thrown unnecessary insults, filed a complaint, unjustly given the runaround for a year -- and you basically say "I don't care." Why are you fucking posting here then?

Oh god, if Giuliani was still mayor he would have had a parade for these guys by now (that asshole).

Nothing will happen to these cops, the wife will sue the city and get paid out the ass and the cycle of out of control brutality by the NYPD will continue.

Enzom21

Here you go posting ridiculous shit again. If you don't care, why are you posting in this thread?

The fucked up thing is that de Blasio has supported the NYPD way more than is appropriate. The first press conference he gave on this had one or two lines of condolences, and the rest was "bu - bu - cops have to make split-second decisions" police ass licking. It really gives you a sense of how deluded and entitled police are when they expect a vigorous defense after murdering someone on videotape.

People say internet users are entitled. Nah, this is entitlement. Complaining over not being supported for breaking the rules and killing people. Fucking wankers.

It really speaks volumes about the kind of effect decades of complacency has on the NYPD.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
He has record for selling cigarettes constantly. He was a long term threat to society.

#justiceISserved

[/sarcasm]

PBA President was saying "this man was arrested 30 times! 8 times for selling loose cigarettes."

If the guy actually committed legitimate crimes, he would have whipped out his rap sheet during the press conference, but he didn't...because I promise it was probably all petty crap. And if they were legitimate to begin with, he'd have been in jail for good by now. You can be arrested many times over petty shit and not be a criminal. So fuck the PBA President and his bullshit defenses.

Fuck his justifications and excuses, one of which was the golden 'this man was a nuisance. Him selling loosies is a crime. He wasn't just selling loose cigarettes, but he was also doing harm...to the local businesses who are losing money from legitimate tobacco sales'.

Right, asshole, because local delis and stores don't have like 3000 other things to go and sell on their shelves. The fact they even held this press conference today is hilarious. And did anyone watch it? The PBA President even speaks like a stereotypical douchebag, with a horrible Massachusetts/Kennedy accent that I have not heard in ages.

And hey, shit face, if you want to talk about bringing a tall man down and being so desperate to do it, your cops have tasers. One quick jolt and he would've been on the floor like a flopping fish. At least it wouldn't have killed him. I saw the chokehold. And in "real time", it was still WAY too long. He should've let it go the moment the guy went on his knees...but he kept it there for at least another 5 seconds. That's a long fucking time to be in a full-on chokehold.

Fuck him and fuck the NYPD. Every day I'm glad I left that piece of shit of a city and state I used to live in (Long Island cops aren't any better).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom