• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYtimes: Ann Coulter says she will pull out of speech at Berkeley

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Ann Coulter says she is canceling her speech at Berkeley. Her sponsors pulled out, citing safety concerns. Damn didn't realize you need that much security for a speech

Ann Coulter said Wednesday that she is canceling her planned speech at the University of California, Berkeley, because she had lost the backing of conservative groups that had initially sponsored her appearance.

Ms. Coulter, in a message to The New York Times, said, “It’s a sad day for free speech.”

Despite insisting that she would go to Berkeley regardless — even after the university said it could not accommodate her on the date and time it had initially scheduled her because of threats of violence — Ms. Coulter said she did not see how she could go forward. The school said she could speak only at a later date and an earlier time of day, when there were likely to be fewer students on campus and less of a likelihood for violent outbreaks.

Without any support, Ms. Coulter said, she was left with little choice. “Everyone who should believe in free speech fought against it or ran away,” she said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/us/ann-coulter-berkeley-speech.html

It's a sad day for free speech...

...because she didn't get the date and time she wanted to spread her crap and sponsors didn't want to bother.

SO SAD.

"Since Berkeley didn't cancel and make me a martyr I had to cancel myself and make myself the martyr I always intended to be in this situation."

Volimar

So, she's not an idiot. She knows that that isn't how free speech works. So this is just more incendiary shit to fire people up. "tolerant left" etc.

jrush64

Banned
Eh... She's an extremely horrible person, but I think should be allowed to speak. Just like people can protest her being there.

She pulled out herself so.

Kettch

Ms. Coulter, in a message to The New York Times, said, “It’s a sad day for free speech.”

You just got the fucking New York Times to spread your message, I think your speech is doing fine.

marrec

Banned
"Ms. Coulter, in a message to The New York Times, said, 'It’s a sad day for free speech.'"

Motherfucker you can still spread your dumbass bullshit on the street outside your hotel if you want.

Clearly we can all thank Bill Maher for taking down another one.

God I love this I'm pulling it out but really I'm being censored nonsense.

entremet

While I support free speech, including Coulter's appearance, the Berkeley College Republicans and Coulter herself were clearly trolling Cal. It was so damn obvious and her decision today makes it even more obvious.

Yeah man, lets set a precedent of threatening violence to get people to do what you want.

Edit: She is horrible and her opinions suck, etc.

I'm being silenced and not allowed to speak. I'm not being heard says a woman being quoted in a New York Times in an article dedicated exclusively to her.

Slayven

Funny how she didn't put up her own money for her nonsense.

Shows how far her convictions go

Cut the check if you are about that life

ReAxion

go say your stupid shit anywhere else and enjoy your free speech. you don't get to use universities as an academic freedom platform and say it's the same thing as free speech.

Slayven

On Wednesday, Ms. Coulter said she believed she could have prevailed in court had she continued with her case. “We vindicate constitutional rights in court,” she said. “Even the most lefty, Coulter-hating judge would probably have had to order Berkeley to let me speak.”

"I would totally win, i just don't want to"

Armaros

'free speech is giving me a platform to spread my hate without protests' -GOP and the alt-right.

As usual the GOP are against different amendments when it suits them.

No one threatened her or her supporters with violence. There were protests planned to counter her speech though.

Right. There was fear they would turn violent after the Milo protest that got ugly, but I kind of doubt it would have happened with Coulter. She's a racist piece of shit and all, but she's not quite Neo-Nazi level (yet), and she wasn't known for reading off students names for her follower's to harass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom