• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oblivion PS3, any chance of it happening?

GhaleonEB

psycho_snake said:
Didnt snatches get the info about Oblivion being on PS3 from a retail list? Shouldnt they usually be very reliable?
Seems they can be hit an miss. And he was the only person to see it anywhere.

GhaleonEB

fortified_concept said:
well at least it's a good one
Get the extended warranty. Protect that investment.

And that reply was just plain weak, fc. :lol

"at least it's a good one", stomps foot, kicks dirt.

MMaRsu

Banned
Since I can't create threads yet, Ill just ask here..

Is it 100% sure the 499 version isn't coming out in Europa?

Thx

GhaleonEB said:
Get the extended warranty. Protect that investment.

And that reply was just plain weak, fc. :lol

"at least it's a good one", stomps foot, kicks dirt.

hey what's wrong with my reply

edit: It kicks dirt IN YOUR FACE

MMaRsu said:

Thx

the 500 version is coming out in Europe but not in the UK afaik. Stop confusing UK with europe damn you people.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
GhaleonEB said:
Seems they can be hit an miss. And he was the only person to see it anywhere.
dammit, I got my hopes up that id have the chance to play the game. i did say that i would buy an Xbox360 just to play this game, but when you think about it $400 is a lot of money to play just for one game, so its pointless really.

Why are people sayng that there is slim chance it will be released on PS3 though. We've seen so many big title games go from being exclusive and several montsh later being releasd on another console. MGS2 and the GTA games are examples.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MMaRsu said:

Thx

It seems it depends where you are in Europe. SCEE's Reeves has referenced it in interviews, so it does seem it'll come to some territories at launch.

Beyond launch I'd expect it'll probably arrive in all territories at one point or another.

As for snatches' list, IIRC, his was a distributor's list. Subtly different from a retailer's list, at least in that access to them would be more limited. I believe he also foretold of the arrival of FEAR on consoles, or at least one of the versions..

And yeah, 1up seems to have heard the same thing. Though I wonder if they're just trusting snatches or if they heard independently? :p

Would a port really be that surprising? The middleware is all in place, AFAIK, and the system is more than capable. A port shouldn't require prohibitive effort. I'm not sure if the same could have been said for Morrowind and PS2 for those referencing it.

GhaleonEB

psycho_snake said:
dammit, I got my hopes up that id have the chance to play the game. i did say that i would buy an Xbox360 just to play this game, but when you think about it $400 is a lot of money to play just for one game, so its pointless really.

Why are people sayng that there is slim chance it will be released on PS3 though. We've seen so many big title games go from being exclusive and several montsh later being releasd on another console. MGS2 and the GTA games are examples.
Oblivion is a big enough game, and was in development for long enough, that it makes sense to try and pull in as big an audience as possible. I'm sure a PS3 version would be a hit, and it makes sense to announce it after 360 sales die down a bit. I'm just saying don't get your hopes too high since we just don't know yet. (PS2 Morrowind, etc.) We get a whole lotta rumors that roll through this forum and don't happen. That said recoding it from PC and 360 is probably no small feat.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
GhaleonEB said:
Oblivion is a big enough game, and was in development for long enough, that it makes sense to try and pull in as big an audience as possible. I'm sure a PS3 version would be a hit, and it makes sense to announce it after 360 sales die down a bit. I'm just saying don't get your hopes too high since we just don't know yet. (PS2 Morrowind, etc.) We get a whole lotta rumors that roll through this forum and don't happen. That said recoding it from PC and 360 is probably no small feat.
Exactly, recoding isnt going to be difficult and if the game has sold well on Xbox360 then its going to sell well on PS3. Bethesda can only benefit from releasing a PS3 version. There is no poing getting too exited about anything at the moment, so far its just a rumor, but Ive got a feeling that a PS3 version has a good chance of being released.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Oblivion is probably a one year console exclusive to the XB360. So around March of 2007 on PS3 would be my guess.

Wulfer

I'll bet Take2 and Bethesda want PS3 to prove itself before releasing the game. Afterall, the code will probably have to be recoded for the alien OS. So, any announcement is still a long wait off I bet. Remember the PS3 will be a $500 price tag. Sony's almost killed themselves with this kind of pricing and it'll never do as well as 360 or Wii. Basically, they told the masses Fu.

Acosta

I´m not really sure if Bethesda can take the time to make a conversion to PS3. The problem I see is that is more or less easy to switch or work in parallel for Xbox 360 and PC. But PS3 is another architecture and I imagine tools won´t be mature enough to allow an easy translation between systems.

So a conversion would de quite time demanding (I think) and after a (well deserved) holidays, I imagine most of the Oblivion team will start full force with Fallout.

WULFER said:
I'll bet Take2 and Bethesda want PS3 to prove itself before releasing the game. Afterall, the code will probably have to be recoded for the alien OS. So, any announcement is still a long wait off I bet. Remember the PS3 will be a $500 price tag. Sony's almost killed themselves with this kind of pricing and it'll never do as well as 360 or Wii. Basically, they told the masses Fu.

Because 360 had prooved itself when Bethesda released Oblivion?

Acosta

fortified_concept said:

Xbox 360 enviroment it´s quite familiar for a developer that knows PC. With XNA I suppose that the tools Bethesda used were the same for PC and Xbox 360.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I don't want to underestimate the effort required of a port, and it would be case-by-case, but I do think there might be some over-estimation here of what is probably required. I've seen the word "recoding" used a couple of times, but just to ensure we're on the same page, I presume the suggestion is not that every line of code must be re-written?

If you look at the middleware used in Oblivion, most or all of it is available for PS3 developers, including their core game engine and physics engine. The question is of the remaining code - Bethesda's own - how much of it is platform-dependent? In a cross-platform-aware implementation, such code is likely to be isolated to specific parts of the code, fenced off from the rest - thus that code would be "recoded" for a new platform, without affecting the rest of the code. I don't want to presume how Bethesda went about things - maybe their code is littered with Windows calls all over the place - but usually people code for portability if there's even a slight chance their code will be going somewhere else in the future.

Depending on how Bethesda went about their Oblivion code, and the maturity/stability of the middleware implementations on PS3, I don't think simply getting it compiled successfully and up and running on PS3 would be so challenging or time-consuming. I think the bigger part of a porting process would be tuning to the performance characteristics of the platform (which itself may require some code re-writes, admittedly, depending on how pushed the developer is), and re-testing of everything.

Gaijin To Ronin - I thought I heard that there are now two teams at Bethesda - one for all things Oblivion, and one for Fallout.

gofreak said:
I don't want to underestimate the effort required of a port, and it would be case-by-case, but I do think there might be some over-estimation here of what is probably required. I've seen the word "recoding" used a couple of times, but just to ensure we're on the same page, I presume the suggestion is not that every line of code must be re-written?

If you look at the middleware used in Oblivion, most or all of it is available for PS3 developers, including their core game engine and physics engine. The question is of the remaining code - Bethesda's own - how much of it is platform-dependent? In a cross-platform-aware implementation, such code is likely to be isolated to specific parts of the code, fenced off from the rest - thus that code would be "recoded" for a new platform, without affecting the rest of the code. I don't want to presume how Bethesda went about things - maybe their code is littered with Windows calls all over the place - but usually people code for portability if there's even a slight chance their code will be going somewhere else in the future.

Depending on how Bethesda went about their Oblivion code, and the maturity/stability of the middleware implementations on PS3, I don't think simply getting it compiled successfully and up and running on PS3 would be so challenging or time-consuming. I think the bigger part of a porting process would be tuning to the performance characteristics of the platform (which itself may require some code re-writes, admittedly), and re-testing of everything.

Gaijin To Ronin - I thought I heard that there are now two teams at Bethesda - one for all things Oblivion, and one for Fallout.

PS3 most powerful system. 4D capable. 1080p, Blu-Ray, RSX, CELL. HDD standard. 3.2 ghz main ram.

Make it happen Bethesda. :O (Unless it's a Xbox1 MGS2 situation)

Borys said:
I can already see your heart shattering to pieces when the official announcement comes. After that you'll be lowballing it like there's no tomorrow.

I thought he was just taking advantage of the actual giant mud crab in the game...

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
The chances of a port are good (for PS3 launch window) but why in hell would they announce it now? So they can hurt their stellar 360/PC sales? The most logical time to announce it would be in September and as a GOTY edition with extras of some sort.

Wulfer

Yes the Xbox 360 had because it could be released on PC and 360 with little code change. Also, it didn't hurt that Morrowind's base following was on Xbox so, 360 already had a following. Where is this base on PS3 or PS2 for that matter? Make no mistake Oblivion has become the Final Fantasy of the 360. If Square doesn't want to give support to 360 then someone else will. If Final Fantasy can stay exclusive on PS3 why can't Oblivion stay exclusive on 360? Someone wants their cake and eat too.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'd like that if the version had some flaws fixed, like bugs, freezes and maybe smoother loading across the field with the help of the HDD and better framerate. I was hoping for that before E3 when it was hinted at, so that would be nice if they could enhance it, otherwise no.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
I think a lot of people are also confusing the fact that Oblivion is a "big game" with it requiring a long time to port. Most of the stuff that makes it big could make it over completely intact (assets, game scripts, voicework) with basically no work, they would just have to make sure the core gameplay/scripting engine and the graphics engine would work.

I hope it makes it over, I'd really like to see Oblivion become a "premier" franchise. I might not get a PS3 until a lot later in its lifecycle (price), but I'd like to see the game itself as successful.

Edit: I agree that the most likely scenario is the GOTY edition hits the 360 and PS3 at around the same time. I doubt they'd just straight port the original version at this point, it would be hard to build up hype for a near year-old game on the PS3 at launch.

X26

Banned
You'll never see an Elder Scrolls game outside the PC or an MS console, Microsoft has their balls in a nice firm grasp

JB1981

If a PS3 version cut down on load times, had better foreground gfx, draw distance, less pop-up, improved frame rate, I'd definitely be interested.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
X26 said:
You'll never see an Elder Scrolls game outside the PC or an MS console, Microsoft has their balls in a nice firm grasp

uh, Bethesda's an independent development company, and their publisher is Take Two. How does MS have them "by the balls"?

the only reason it wouldn't get ported is if they're fast tracking the sequel (highly unlikely) or they think it wouldn't make financial sense to do it (possible... espescially if they think the money would be better spent on a ps3 exclusive... but still unlikely).

tardy ports rarely sell as well as they did on the first console they came out on, doesn't mean that they aren't worth the money to port though.

if it did go to ps3,would it be possible for ps3 to decrease the pop-up?isn't the biggest advantage of the ps3 to be able to do more at the same time?i love playing oblivion on my 360,but seeing grass pop-up right in front of you was the one thing i did'nt like about the visuals.

Mau ®

plagiarize said:
tardy ports rarely sell as well as they did on the first console they came out on, doesn't mean that they aren't worth the money to port though.

But it would still sell awesome. Remember Untoild Legends at the PSP launch. That shit sold like 400k just because it was the only RPG at launch.

Imagine what would Oblivion sell, being the only RPG at launch. The best RPG of the year in this case. I can asssure it would sell +350k easily.

snatches

inthezone said:
At E3 there was no announcement and it seems Snatches claims of it coming to PS3 and PSP was a terrible lie.

Do you guys think its still possible to see a PS3 port of Oblivion?

HAY WTF?????

IT WAS ON BETHESDA'S RELEASE SCHEDULE FFS

BELIEVE

Mau ®

snatches said:
HAY WTF?????

IT WAS ON BETHESDA'S RELEASE SCHEDULE FFS

BELIEVE

Im sorry. Im just getting a lil impatient here, Im on the verge of buying a 360 just because of this game.

But I will BELIEVE :)

Also, wasn't FEAR coming to PS3 according to your release lists? I wonder why they didn't announced it...

snatches

Amir0x said:
yeah but you hear a lot of false things, snatches, it appears

Please list some of the false things I hear, to jog my memory. And Warhawk doesn't count dude, don't go there. How a game looks is subjective....you know this. What I played at e3 was totally unimpressive.

FEAR PS3 is still on Vivendi's release schedule, date TBA. Its coming.

I would bet that Oblivion PS3 is a GOTY edition and it comes out March 2007 to duplicate the 360 success achieved with the March release (hopefully). A 360 GOTY version will launch concurrently, as they did with Xbox Morrowind. This is speculation but highly likely IMO.

Wollan

If it wasn't coming to PS3 they would have said so already, because it's eating a small bit into their sales. Also, all the pr replies to the question has been answered with 'there are no announced plans as of this moment'.

Amir0x

Banned
snatches said:
Please list some of the false things I hear, to jog my memory. And Warhawk doesn't count dude, don't go there. How a game looks is subjective....you know this. What I played at e3 was totally unimpressive.

oh it doesn't count eh

well it's subjective how good it looks, it's not subjective how it looks compared to the original footage ;)

Top Bottom