• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oblivion PS3, any chance of it happening?

Speevy

Banned
Wollan said:
If it wasn't coming to PS3 they would have said so already, because it's eating a small bit into their sales. Also, all the pr replies to the question has been answered with 'there are no announced plans as of this moment'.

I believe Oblivion 360 has already outsold the Xbox version of Morrowind, and that game sold well.

snatches

Wollan said:
If it wasn't coming to PS3 they would have said so already, because it's eating a small bit into their sales. Also, all the pr replies to the question has been answered with 'there are no announced plans as of this moment'.

"We have not announced the inevitable PS3 version at this time"/PR

LAWL

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Wollan said:
Yeah, but they want to sell more right? Putting it on PS3 will ensure 500k+ extra sales I would think.

I would be amazed if it moved 500k on PS3. Keep in mind it would be nearly a year old, on a system with a limited userbase. Most late ports don't sell anywhere near that.

Jim

I know there is a Bethesda UPC number floating around that's apparently reserved for it... (093155120600) only prob is, it's sometimes listed as "Morrowind" for the PS3, and sometimes Oblivion. Estimated release date still around the end of November, which would put it in the launch window.

I'd still take it with a grain of salt -- for now.

Wollan

Nerevar said:
I would be amazed if it moved 500k on PS3. Keep in mind it would be nearly a year old, on a system with a limited userbase. Most late ports don't sell anywhere near that.

But this is like, the best western rpg in years and it's likely to get a few goty awards somewhere. PlayStation owners are secretly hungry for western rpgs. It will probably be the only rpg of notice the first 6months I would guess.

Mau ®

Wollan said:
But this is like, the best western rpg in years and it's likely to get a few goty awards somewhere. PlayStation owners are secretly hungry for western rpgs. It will probably be the only rpg of notice the first 6months I would guess.

You forget Untold Legends will be out too. I mean its frikin! Untold Legends!!!!

/joke

But seriously taking Untold Legends as reference. UL PSP, which is a werstern RPG (sorta) sold 400k, all these sales should be credited to the fact that it was the only RPG at the PSP launch.

Imagine Oblivion being present at the PS3 launch. It'll move +350k without much problem IMO.

I know there is a Bethesda UPC number floating around that's apparently reserved for it... (093155120600) only prob is, it's sometimes listed as "Morrowind" for the PS3, and sometimes Oblivion. Estimated release date still around the end of November.

That's an interesting find.

So, between Fallout 3 (for PC and likely the X360) and the other half of Bethsoft who is probably knee deep in the first Oblivion expansion (probably to be released next year), as well as the smaller group working on the updating and fixing the already released X360 and PC versions of the game...who is going to be doing the undoubtedly complex PS3 conversion? Either it's getting farmed out with Bethsoft's supervision or it's being quietly worked on with a smaller staff...or maybe it's just not in the cards at the moment. Certainly, there is a proven base of gamers for this series with the XBOX and PC platforms, but is there enough there for Final Fantasy-land Playstation?

Wollan

I doubt they need many engine programmers for the expansion. I don't think it should be too hard porting this game to the PS3. Afterall, it's not a PS2(as in assembly code hell, no opengl/directx, small memory or no hdd..etc).

snatches

You could still have a small base of coders doing the PS3 conversion and still have all of your artists, level designers, producers and lead tech people working on Fallout 3.....

Bethesda is a much bigger developer than you think. I'm sure they have well over 100 people on staff, maybe over 200.

snatches

From www.emergent.net

Makers of the Gamebryo engine, used by Bethesda on Oblivion:

Used by developers to create more than 70 games, with 70 more in production, the Gamebryo game engine is the best choice for developers seeking a rich set of tools to expand their production pipeline. Among many new features, the newest version of Gamebryo includes a Scene Designer for quickly assembling new levels, scenes and worlds. Gamebryo is optimized for use in developing PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360™ and PC games.

GhaleonEB

snatches said:
From www.emergent.net

Makers of the Gamebryo engine, used by Bethesda on Oblivion:

Used by developers to create more than 70 games, with 70 more in production, the Gamebryo game engine is the best choice for developers seeking a rich set of tools to expand their production pipeline. Among many new features, the newest version of Gamebryo includes a Scene Designer for quickly assembling new levels, scenes and worlds. Gamebryo is optimized for use in developing PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360™ and PC games.
All that is saying is the Gamebryo engine was:

1) Used in Oblivion
2) Used in 70 games in production
3) Of those 70 games in production, some are for PS3, some 360 and some PC

You're going to have to connect a lot of dots to get to a PS3 version of Oblivion from that.

Jim

GhaleonEB said:

1) Used in Oblivion

You're going to have to connect a lot of dots to get to a PS3 version of Oblivion from that.

I think he's pointing out that Oblivion relies heavily on Middleware packages (Gamebryo Engine, SpeedTree, Havok Physics Engine), which are all also available for the PlayStation 3... which would streamline the ability to port it to the PS3.

Mau ®

GhaleonEB said:

1) Used in Oblivion

What he's saying is that a port to PS3 wouldn't be as difficult as people here assume it will be because the tools dvs used to make Oblivion are readily available for PS3.

Vark

snatches said:
You could still have a small base of coders doing the PS3 conversion and still have all of your artists, level designers, producers and lead tech people working on Fallout 3.....

Bethesda is a much bigger developer than you think. I'm sure they have well over 100 people on staff, maybe over 200.

hahahahahaha
Actually we're a much smaller staff than you think ;P

GhaleonEB

Jim said:
I think he's pointing out that Oblivion relies heavily on Middleware packages (Gamebryo Engine, SpeedTree, Havok Physics Engine), which are all also available for the PlayStation 3... which would streamline the ability to port it to the PS3.
That makes sense. I thought he was defending himself from others earlier in the thread and was looking for something to back himself up with. Some context for his post would have helped. :p

REV 09

i work at a Blockbuster/Gamerush....at our store, you can preorder Oblivion for the PS3. There is indeed a part number for it. I've noticed part numbers for titles before that weren't yet announced, so this could be the case.

GhaleonEB said:
Oblivion should be experienced by as many people as possible, so on that level I hope it happens. Then they can figure out why that Oblivion thread is barreling towards 10,000 posts. :)

...Lots of bugs? People asking for help?

...I kid

mostly - considering my two main characters have both been prevented from reaching their full godhood, after 30-60 hours into each, because of BUGS... yay!!

Wulfer

I can't wait to see all these Oblivion sales... I mean every PS3 owner is going to have tons of money for games after sinking $600+ DOLLARS. They would have to want Oblivion a year old port over something new right. 85K sales FTW (for all two of you who waited forever instead of buying a XBOX 360 or played it on PC).

Aaron

WULFER said:
I can't wait to see all these Oblivion sales... I mean every PS3 owner is going to have tons of money for games after sinking $600+ DOLLARS. They would have to want Oblivion a year old port over something new right. 85K sales FTW (for all two of you who waited forever instead of buying a XBOX 360 or played it on PC).
Because people NEVER want to buy a game to go with their system at launch, right? Or do you think the wonders of Genji 2 will keep them completely enchanted for the duration of the launch window?

Seriously, when people put down that much money they're usually willing to put down a little more to get 1-2 games with it, and if Oblivion is the only RPG in town at the time, it could draw a large chunk of sales. Only gaming geeks care that it's a port or that it's "old." I'm hardly Oblivion's biggest fan, but compare visuals alone to PS3's launch lineup and it would have no trouble standing out.

firex

Core407 said:
I'd just love to see what Bethesda could do with the series on the PS3.
Make a game incredibly inferior to the PC-centric other games in the Elder Scrolls series, I'd guess.

Mrbob

Well the 70 dollar Blu Ray version will seem cheap after Xbox 360 owners are nickeled and dimed for a total purchase price of over 100 dollars with the "premium" add on content added to the game.

Aaron

Mrbob said:
Well the 70 dollar Blu Ray version will seem cheap after Xbox 360 owners are nickeled and dimed for a total purchase price of over 100 dollars with the "premium" add on content added to the game.
Why do you say this when Sony has stressed microtransactions over and over again?

snatches

Aaron said:
Why do you say this when Sony has stressed microtransactions over and over again?

He's the Xbox 360's John Kerry, that's why, and he's flipping instead of flopping at the moment.....

snaildog

GhaleonEB said:
Oblivion should be experienced by as many people as possible, so on that level I hope it happens. Then they can figure out why that Oblivion thread is barreling towards 10,000 posts. :)
Because of all the arguments about the broken levelling? ;)

Top Bottom