• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian dev Eric posts kinda-sorta-not-really transphobic meme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smeags

All aboard the WeekendGAF train baybeee.

To really get this thread going, lets compare Horizon: Zero Dawn to Breath of the Wild again!

SexyFish

Banned
Context matters. Of all the contexts one could use that in, why joke about how people speak out against homophobia and racism specifically?
SbOhaBl.png
I say the word intolerant. What pops up to you in recent history?

(Racism and homophobia will probably pop up) he made a joke. You can say it was a dumb joke, but there seems to be no malicious thought behind it.

Briarios

If anyone is calling for him to be fired over this, they are insane. Most people are ignorant of something negative they do - we should all be allowed to improve without having our livelihoods ripped away from us.

Ok. I'd like to pretend I know what you just said. But...

It's easy to go "Praying for Las Vegas!" when bad shit happens because it lets you play a role that you think is expected of you without actually doing anything. It's for lazy people and you see it after terrible events who actually only give a fuck on the surface level.

Like retweeting a few harassing tweets and demanding some dude get fired for making a ridiculously dry and boring joke.

Catvoca

Banned
That meme has always seemed gross to me but I can buy that he didn't know its origins considering many people here didn't either.

Sou Da

That title change. This joke is a bit insensitive if you don't know the origins, but I don't believe they were trying to make fun of or hurt anyone.
Same. However I can't really blame anyone for being sensitive to transphobia in relation to the wrpg community of all things.

DataGhost

Among the other problems with this thread, that's Eric Neigher not Fenstermaker.

Fenstermaker isn't an Obsidian employee anymore but is doing freelance work for them on PoE2.

Wow OP, you didn't even take the time to research this before posting. We almost were about to lync...I mean go after the wrong person, not that we were ever going to do that for something minor. I feel the terrible person here is the OP calling out an innocent bystander

Gemeanie

Thanks for the title change.
As a female who often get mistaken as male on internet I can only shake my head at how people can link everything to transphobia these days.

TP-DK

Ffs this is why you should always post anomymously on the internet, because people will get offended over everything and want you dead for it.

You folks really think the "did you assume my ___" isn't transphobic?

Attacking the ignorant dev might be worthless. But at the very least there's a conversation to be had about how this kind of shit turns into popular memes.

Man, we live in a "Gotcha!" society.

He made a dumb comment without being aware of the context and sure, he deserves to be criticized for that. However, jumping on his case with "transphobic memes" and calling out where he works is a bit much.

I am inclined to give this guy the benefit of the doubt in this particular case.
"Did you just assume my gender" is a transphobic/anti-LGBTQ meme, though. This is apparently the origin of it back in 2016.
379.jpg

Dynasty8

Let's take out our pitchforks and ruin this guys life for no reason at all because... justice.

If this seriously offends anyone, the problem rests with you.

That title change. This joke is a bit insensitive if you don't know the origins, but I don't believe they were trying to make fun of or hurt anyone.

Yeah. It's like the whole *TRIGGERED* thing. I personally find both of those memes just unfunny and lazy. They both come from a place that is making fun of people who are 'oversensitive', but because I see far too many instances of people who are uncomfortable with legitimate reasons being mocked with it I'm not a fan of the joke as a whole.

Certainly not worth crucifying the guy for.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I say the word intolerant. What pops up to you in recent history?

(Racism and homophobia will probably pop up) he made a joke. You can say it was a dumb joke, but there seems to be no malicious thought behind it.
Ignorance is bliss i suppose. You know it's funny you look up the meme and it basically states that the origins came from cesspools in order to mock discussions in the LBGT community about gender identity. The normalisation of it is incredibly shitty.

Because it's the hot topic nowadays?

Why are you trying to put a more sinister meaning behind an assumedly innocent joke?
Because it being assumed innocent by people it's not targeting is usually part of the problem. It's how that stuff gets more normalized.

Mahonay

Banned
You folks really think the "did you assume my ___" isn't transphobic?

Attacking the ignorant dev might be worthless. But at the very least there's a conversation to be had about how this kind of shit turns into popular memes.
It's definitely transphobic. It bothers me that it's such a popular meme joke.

Rncewind

seems just corny to me

Also its a throw away joke. also wtf, meme origins? They are enough people out there which even dont know when and how the world wars happened and some people here calling people out because not knowing "meme origins". What a silly thing

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Cheers, you blew up a stupid joke into a thing, projected your own intimate knowledge of #memeculture onto everyone, and also misidentified the employee, all in the span of 10 minutes. Looks like a new record!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom