• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus CEO: The headset and computer to run it will cost you ~$1,500

Piggus

Why are any of you surprised by this? Anybody who thought their budget PC was going to run most VR games at 1440p at 90 fps were setting themselves up for disappointing. Honestly, what were you guys expecting? The Rift is basically just a small 1440p monitor with some sensors for tracking. That's it. Anyone who knows anything about PC gaming knew this. In fact $1500 for the Rift and a gaming PC isn't even that unreasonable considering the power required to drive stuff at 1440p 90 fps.

Shit, really?
I thought my laptop would be enough for simple Oculus stuff...

Well, I guess I'm going with Sony on this one. :/

Don't read into that statement too much. Any decent computer will run simple VR stuff fairly well in the same way that your laptop could probably run simple stuff at 1440p 90 fps. He isn't saying "you need a $1500 for the Rift to work," but you'll be able to run more stuff and have a better experience with more powerful hardware. That really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The most egregious concern trolling I've seen on GAF in a long time, in this topic. Jeez.

Shit, really?
I thought my laptop would be enough for simple Oculus stuff...

Well, I guess I'm going with Sony on this one. :/

What powerful GPU is in your laptop, that made you think it'd push the pixels Oculus needs?

Maybe. I'm still skeptical that it'll hold up to the rift running on a nice PC. Again, I want it to be all of that, but I have experience with DK1 and DK2. And one thing I've learned, is that the more you play, the more the flaws show up. Quick impressions on Morpheus are good and all, but I want to know if it'll hold up in the long term.

So what if it doesn't? It won't fail to impress the people that don't have "a nice PC". As in most people.

The PS4, while working within its limitation has proven that it can delver a immersive VR experience. and working within a closed system will have its own advantages when it comes to software development.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sort of off topic, but... does anyone know what if any lower end or mobile devices support this particular part of the spec?

HDMI 1.3 video output supporting a 297MHz clock via a direct output architecture

Has anyone started compiling a list of mobile/portable devices that support this? Curious about possibilities for 'low-fi' VR, but first need to know if anything even semi-portable has that kind of output. For example raspberry pi has hdmi out...but this specific kind? I know it supports hdmi 1.3a, but getting clock spec or info on support for 'direct output architecture' is a lot harder to come by.

Guys i'm concerned.

I haven't been following any of this VR stuff, apparently this new technology needs powerful hardware? This has never happened before.

Hardware wont get cheaper over time guys, i'm real concerned over here.

Oculus isn't concerned though? Should we be concerned for Oculus? I think we should be concerned.

kyser73

Guys i'm concerned.

I haven't been following any of this VR stuff, apparently this new technology needs powerful hardware? This has never happened before.

Oculus isn't concerned though? Should we be concerned for Oculus? I think we should be concerned.

I think we should be concerned about Zuckerberg's imminent destitution and the collapse of Facebook - NAY! The whole internet - if Oculus should not sell 10mn units in hours.

pottuvoi

Banned
Guys i'm concerned.

Wut?
Hardware we have in our cellphones is comparable to supercomputer costing millions a while back.

Majukun

an 800 euro pc is enough to run oculus rift games (of course if you build one yourself and don't waste money on overpriced supermarket PCs)...oculus itself released the "requiements" to which every developer will have to adhere to get oculus compatibility..and it "only" needs a i5 4590,8gb of ram,2 usb 3.0 ports and a 970...
while still expensive,it is nowhere near 1500 dollars/euro worth of hardware..even counting the headset..that,from what oculus until now..it will not cost more than 300 dollars,because they know that the hardware must be cheap enough to stuck with the masses...probably price it's one of the reason the oculus hasn't been released yet .

also,for people saying that a "close environment" is an advantage for sony,i beg to differ..first because indies have already shown that they can do amazing things with VR,and second,the VR has an incredible potential that goes far beyond videogames..and that potential can be more easily tapped through a pc than a console.

also...oculus has in development "first party" software too,and has been for quite a while..so in a way,they have their own "closed environment" too
Wut?
Hardware we have in our cellphones is comparable to supercomputer costing millions a while back.

dude,your sarcasm detector is broken

I think we should be concerned about Zuckerberg's imminent destitution and the collapse of Facebook - NAY! The whole internet - if Oculus should not sell 10mn units in hours.

VR threads used to be a real pleasure around here.

I guess the dam things need to just launch already so we can move past this stage.

I don't know how you guys can stand the onslaught though. Drives me crazy just reading it.

waters10

Neo Member
So what if it doesn't? It won't fail to impress the people that don't have "a nice PC". As in most people.

The PS4, while working within its limitation has proven that it can delver a immersive VR experience. and working within a closed system will have its own advantages when it comes to software development.
Sure, I never said Morpheus will fail to impress people. Heck, DK1 impressed a ton of people! I demo'ed mine to a lot of people and everyone loved it! But then, I couldn't actually play a game on it for long. My point is that PS3-like graphics MAY not be achievable. And you don't want to impress people, but have no staying power. Again, I'm not pooping on Morpheus. I'm just being skeptical, because it's not out there like the DK2 with a lot of people testing the heck out of it for hours and hours. There's a very good chance I'll get Morpheus and one of the PC solutions, rift or vive. And then enjoy console and PC VR, just like I do with regular games.

Top Bottom