• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus holds "diversity luncheon;" refuses to address Luckey questions. CEO needs mom

Mega

Banned
Precisely where you stand: that you think the people upset by this aren't mature, responsible parties and are instead just an angry mob looking for an unquenchable need for swift retribution.

You think you're being level headed, when really you're just sticking your head in the sand.

I'm sticking my head in the sand by stating I want Palmer thoroughly interrogated by his peers and professionals in the company who are trained in the matter of investigating if he's harming the company and the people who work there? I wasn't implying every individual is part of any angry mob, but I also don't think the average person posting online is qualified and equipped to make a very high level HR decision. There are too many emotional people who don't care for due diligence and just want a very fast and public firing. For all we know, it's already under way or the company is tied up by contractual obligations. What's weird is how many are bothered that a company isn't speaking to reporters in detail about ongoing internal matters. That's the norm everywhere.

Find a single post in this topic saying everyone who works at Oculus should be fired.

You are creating some fantastic bullshit strawmen.

No strawmen if you read my overall statement and don't hone in on the word "everyone." There are a number of posts throughout this thread stating Oculus's perceived inaction warrants the company being seriously harmed financially along with anyone (everyone) not speaking out deserving to lose their job for not speaking up against Palmer. In addition there were some saying people should "just quit", as if losing your means of making a living is simple and feasible for every person.

If you're worried that Oculus will fire innocent employees as a result of people boycotting because of Luckey, why are you trying to shame consumers rather than the company that you think would prefer to fire innocent employees and not the person the boycott is meant to protest?

Is that directed at me? Because I don't personally believe boycotts will lead to any regular employees losing their jobs. And I'm not shaming anyone. Just fyi.

Krejlooc

Banned
I'm sticking my head in the sand by stating I want Palmer thoroughly interrogated by his peers and professionals in the company who are trained in the matter of investigating if he's harming the company and the people who work there?

You are sticking your head in the sand because you assume others haven't done this kind of vetting otherwise, yes. We don't need to interrogate Luckey, because he has a string of posts explaining his rational. I don't need his company to investigate to decide whether or not I will support Oculus.

But most importantly, your schtick is precisely the same type of schtick you see in police shooting threads. "Let's wait for more information!" It's a blatant dog whistle to try and get people to stop talking about what is upsetting them. You're extremely transparent here, despite what you think.

What's weird is how many are bothered that a company isn't speaking to reporters in detail about ongoing internal matters. That's the norm everywhere.

You continue to read this situation extremely poorly. People are upset because Oculus tried to intimidate a reporter who was asking questions to non-oculus employees about the matter.

No strawmen if you read my overall statement and don't hone in on the word "everyone." There are a number of posts throughout this thread stating Oculus's perceived inaction warrants the company being seriously harmed financially along with anyone (everyone) not speaking out deserving to lose their job for not speaking up against Palmer. In addition there were some saying people should "just quit", as if losing your means of making a living is simple and feasible for every person.

It's precisely a strawman. List these post. Until you name the people you are talking about, you are literally talking about nobody besides a strawman.

Tubobutts

Is that directed at me? Because I don't personally believe boycotts will lead to any regular employees losing their jobs. And I'm not shaming anyone. Just fyi.
No it's to the people who keep showing up in this thread to say that people shouldn't boycott Oculus because of the effect it will have on the employees. I agree with you that people shouldn't expect the employees to quit out of protest. I'd have a lot of respect for those that did, but it's not a realistic expectation.

Syriel

But there is. You have to "prove" someone is racist. Saying the support an ultra conservative base doesn't really flag as racism (again with Fox news and Trump as example), as I posted before California's FEHA makes it illegal to fire someone for political stance. Oculus is based in Irvine, California.

Like I said before though, there are other reasons people could get fired, such as losing money or causing a PR debacle. That is the part I think Palmer is protected by some sort of contract, because almost every example of bad PR of this nature that I have seen, ends in that persons termination.

Needs some receipts on this.

Brendan Eich wasn't protected.

When one answered that they wished Oculus would, at worst, make a statement acknowledging the situation and, at best, have Palmer no longer be involved with Oculus, a representative told the developer that neither of those things was going to happen.

This is straight up incredible bullshit.

IrishNinja

sounds like they're not interested in taking the brand seriously down the road, and also Carmack sounds like exactly the kinda dude i took him for years ago

done with either of them, to the extent i intended to support anyway i guess

Because of immense external pressure. Which is, gasp, what people are putting on Luckey when they talk about him and Oculus in topics like this.

Which still doesn't change the point of the quote that Syriel was trying to respond to. Brendan Eich wasn't fired therefore it would not violate California's FEHA.

Syriel

Which still doesn't change the point of the quote that Syriel was trying to respond to. Brendan Eich wasn't fired therefore it would not violate California's FEHA.

C-level execs don't "get fired." They all "resign."

Even Wells Fargo's CEO "stepped down" (with zero severance).

If Facebook wanted Luckey gone, he'd be gone.

C-level execs don't "get fired." They all "resign."

Even Wells Fargo's CEO "stepped down" (with zero severance).

If Facebook wanted Luckey gone, he'd be gone.

That is not true. In press releases some may say they resigned but forced termination is them being fired. Companies don't like to "say" the CEO's have been fired because normally stocks drop when that happens. Example? Mattel's former Chief Executive Bryan Stockton or American Apparel founder and former CEO Dov Charney but it is certainly not true that "all" CEO's resign. Some step down, Some move to other positions and some are indeed forcefully terminated.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Gizmodo is running a "Palmer Watch"

http://gizmodo.com/palmer-watch-day-27-1787993943

Sadly the article frames this as him simply supporting Trump, not funding an alt-right hate group.

Facebook’s non-response is also in stark contrast to its other election year headache, board member and vocal Trump supporter Peter Thiel. Mark Zuckerberg defended Thiel in an internal memo earlier this week, saying the company cares deeply about diversity and that there are many reasons someone might support Trump “that do not involve racism, sexism, xenophobia or accepting sexual assault.” Thiel recently donated $1.25 million to Trump’s campaign.

This is likely as close as we'll get to a statement from Facebook. It's a shame, really.

Wow at those marketing and PR-managers. How can you be so bad at speaking to the press when it is literally your job. Is there absolutely no communications planning regarding this pretty major issue within the company?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
That only makes the community stronger. Facebook lives from the exchange of ideas, no matter if you think if rape is rape or just a belated regret. This is what Facebook stands for.

Parody obviously

Facebook will start the internal memo: "There are reasons for Thiel to think this other than sexism and bigotry."

Top Bottom